Menu

s/o so what Curriculum do you absolutely LOVE?

Hedgehogs4

We have had a really rough hs year this year. So, mom had to make some adjustments. These are the programs my ds enjoys (as of right now):

MCT Island Level (complete)

Writing Tales Volume 1

Phonetic Zoo Level A

Not a program BUT a big hit: Vocabulary Cartoons

Singapore Math and MUS

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths w/Study Guide

Sonja in CO

We absolutely adore MEP and CSMP for math. Math is the most fun part of our day, and we love using the mini-computer from CSMP to work the problems in MEP. Both free programs, and both wonderful!

Sheldon's PLL and KISS grammar also get raves here.

Drawing with Children looks like a winner as well. I see many happy afternoons spent with this book and a box of art supplies.

Our vintage history texts in my signature are also well-loved.

I really have no complaints, and my little guy is a happy camper.

MUS--we've used 5 levels so far, from Alpha to Epsilon, and we still love it.

LOF--we've only just started using the fractions book this year but loving it so far.

IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry--(our most loved curric.) We've been using this for 2 years and we love it more and more as we go along.

Not exactly a curriculum, but a book--Training Hearts, Teaching Minds. It's a book that teaches the shorter catechism. Love it! We've been using it since last Aug.

Guest Cindie2dds

Basically what's in my signature. If I don't *love* it, it doesn't last very long. Everything listed we have used for over 6 months, an eternity for us. ;). The for sale boards have been littered with things we don't love.

We almost gave up on our three favorites because I was second-guessing myself. They aren't what everyone else is using, but they work for us!

Our favorites:

Oak Meadow

Miquon

Queen's Language Lessons

All About Spelling - a great find after YEARS of trying at least 9 different programs.

FLL 3 & 4 - I still use 1 & 2, but I really like the workbooks in 3 & 4.

Tapestry of Grace - the only program that I have found to be unifying for our family and rigorous enough for highschool.

Diana Waring CD's - we have loved these for over a decade.

The Lost Tools of Writing - A program that has enabled me to articulate what has been missing in every other writing program I've tried.....and I can count at least 8 programs that have been shelved in this house. All the others have good aspects, but LTOW has completed the picture for me.

Analytical Grammar - thorough and efficient.

MindBenders - on CDRom - it's addicting.

Visual Link Spanish - a program that does not frustrate the dialectic mind by teaching on a grammar level, but also gives daily auditory and visual exposure.

After homeschooling for 15 years, I've had a lot of short lived love affairs with different programs. Right now, I'm loving CLE -Language Arts and Math, but I hesitate to list them because we've only been using them about 5 weeks. We're still in our honeymoon.;)

Leanna

Edited by Leanna
additions

My kids and I have loved:

- Life of Fred

- Horizons Math

- EPGY Math

- Mystery of History

- Meet the Masters art

- Draw Write Now

- Apologia Elementary science

- The Fun Spanish

- notebooking -- not a curriculum exactly but this year we started notebooking for several subjects (Ancient History, Art History, Astronomy, Botany, Zoology, etc.) and it has been a wonderful thing!

We like:

- God's Design science

- A Reason for Handwriting

- Draw and Write Thru History

- Critical Thinking Press software - esp. Latin Roots & Science Detective

AmblesideOnline for History, Artist and Composer Study

Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) for Bible - I love that we all study the same thing at our own level. I love that the dc are learning to think about what they've read/heard and answer questions, and eventually learn homiletics. It seems very classical.

CLE LA (5th grade) (Still use FLL in 1-4)

CLE Math - I love how thorough it is - the only thing I add are my own manipulatives when dd needs to "see" it.

Elson Reader - I haven't tried it with my youngest reader yet, but Book 2 has been a great fit for my 2nd grader. It has bridged the gap from stilted phonics readers to real literature. It includes Aesop Fables, stories about animals and nature, folktales from various origins, fairy tales, etc.

Draw Write Now and Draw and Write Through History - I never knew how to draw anything, so these books were originally a confidence builder for me. I love it when the kids get these out and they all draw together.

Diana Waring on CD - I purchased her original tapes 11 years ago at my first homeschool convention and then added the revised CDs when they came out. Best homeschool purchase ever! These CDs are the reason history is my oldest ds's favorite subject.

Any Jim Weiss CD! We never met a Jim Weiss CD we didn't like :)

ETA: Getting Started With Latin - this has been just the right amount of Latin for us to start with.

Edited by Another Lynn

I love, love LOVE Tapestry of Grace!! We are almost finished with our first year and looking forward to the next three. Not only have the kiddos learned sooo much, Mom and Dad have learned things they never knew! I love having all the kids in the same piece of history. I know some people say it seems disjointed how it goes from one civilization to another, but I really like that. I tend to get bored easily and see somthing shiny... and what was I saying??? Oh, Tapestry keeps me focused becaused it moves around and doesn't feel like I am trapped in one civilization forever.

I know a lot of people here are not crazy about it, but we love Math U See. Yes, it is repetitive. Yes, we drill over and over. But as a result, we have kids who have really learned their facts. I actually "get" concepts that somehow eluded me in my school years.

Latin For Children/Song School Latin Same company, different ages groups. LfC-love the way that we have an instructional DVD with other actual children on it. Love the Activity Book and History Reader. Love the fact that each week has derivatives so the kids can see the influence of the Latin language on their lives. SSL- my youngest son has his "own Latin". He is able to be introduced to a new language without it being overpowering. The songs and workbook keep everything light-hearted and fun.

Apologia Science We are Christians. We are also science lovers. For years there was the "God is not real" science, or the "The world is how it is because God made it that way and you don't need to know any more than that" science.(which is one thing that made me hesitant to homeschool) Apologia is unashamedly Christian. It is also very informative. The module that my son is finishing this week actually gives information on two sides of thinking- uniformitarianism and catastrophism. The students are then told to examine the facts and make a decision about which one they believe. (Hardly sounds like the "indoctrination" they are accused of) The elementary books are so conversational it seems more like a story than a textbook. The experiments (both upper and lower grades) keep it interesting and understandable.

Not exactly a curriculum, but a book--Training Hearts, Teaching Minds. It's a book that teaches the shorter catechism. Love it! We've been using it since last Aug.

I have to second that! We bought it last year and are still doing devotions from it. I print the question and answer each week to use as copy work and handwriting practice.

We love Abeka Math. We've tried Saxon, Singapore and MUS. But Abeka is the one that both DD and I love.

After trying many other products, we're starting to understand the beauty of Heart of Dakota products. Though that has been a long slow process.

I have to second that! We bought it last year and are still doing devotions from it. I print the question and answer each week to use as copy work and handwriting practice.

That's what we do as well. I write the question and answer on the white board at the beginning of the week and they use it as copywork. I love the complete sentences. :D They often don't. ;)

Not a program BUT a big hit: Vocabulary Cartoons

Sonja in CO

My sister, who also homeschools, just told me about this. I'd never heard of it before. I think my kids, and especially my dd, will love this. My sis is sending it to me to try out. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Definately, I love love love MFW. We have done up from Exploring Countries and Cultures and are now doing Exploration to 1850's. OK, I made a mistake and missed RtoR (which I very much regret) because I thought I found something "better" and I will not make that mistake again. The nice thing I have been thinking about lately is I hear my friends say they are behind and that their kids are lacking in one area because of a over-focus on another area and I don't have that guilt. Oh, I have plenty of guilt in other areas but I do feel like I can get this stuff done, my kids love it, and I feel I really have all may bases covered.

Other hits are:

AAS

IEW

TT

That is all I can think of now!

Stacey

I love AO- but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hit and miss w/ my kids so therefore we have only used bits and pieces of it over the years. One year dd hates something, the next year she loves it- yadda, yadda. We will probably move away from it entirely soon. Sniff. (I don't think my youngest dd has ever hated anything that I liked- so I "could" use it w/her)

ETC- I love ETC for ease of use and beginning spelling methods- my girls love it as well- ds hates it

LOF- wonderful, fantastic, exciting, hilarious math! Who knew math could be so fun?

I like LLATL- (blue, red, orange and green) yes, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s loosey goosey and light but it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling and parts of it are excellently done IMO

I modify it and add to it as needed

The Elements- nicely done, goes deeper than RS4K

Zaner Bloser Handwriting- LOVE

Kids love-Sonlight- I love the books, at least the secular books, the IG is cumbersome and has mistakes and ...itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s- weird- what can I say

VFCR- dd loves it- works for me

Megawords- again dd loves it

RSFK- fun, visual, easy experiments

I am positive that there is more but I am in a funk and donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t feel like thinking about any of it right nowĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..

:mellow:;)

Life of Fred: I just love it to pieces!

MUS Although dd has only used LOF this year, but ds is about to finish Epsilon and then he will do 3 LOF books

Noeo Science This is just precisely what I always wanted with science and was trying to self-construct every year. Soooo nice to just buy it and have it all figured out for me!

Latin for Children This is so sweet, lively and learnable. I just love it.

HWOT It is exactly that.

Sequential Spelling This has been just what my somewhat-dyslexic son needed. I never plan to change.

I would also put History Odyssey into the like-it-a-lot category. A few little things bug me with it sometimes, but overall, it's just what I wanted.

First Form Latin: after 3 years (almost 4) of latin programs, this is the one that we both love and ds is absolutely getting and loving latin now.

Lost Tools of Writing: haven't started yet but I have owned it for a few years, used other programs (that were all busts) and can't wait to start this one.

MOH/SOTW audio cds

Guerber Histories

MUS

Heart of Dakota is my all time favorite!! I've used it for a little over two years, but I've used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG...so 4+ years worth. Great manual, awesome book choices, great balance, and it covers ALL the bases. My kids LOVE HOD and so do I.

R&S English- going on 2 years...love it! We do a lot orally and on the white board.

Singapore Math- Great math program! Very solid, and had I not been too stressed over teaching 3A and up without HOD's activities, and had DD been ready for 3A, we wouldn't have changed her to another program. I've used 1A, 2A/B, and currently using Earlybird 2A/B.

Math Mammoth- Also LOVE this one, and so does DD! This is what DD switched to from Singapore. I've used some the topical books and now using the Grade 3 complete curriculum. This is an AWESOME math program!

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading- IMHO, this is the best Literary analysis program out there! Can teach 2nd-8th/9th together, with each level having their own assignments. It's an easy to follow manual and the assignments are enjoyable and educational. It's gentle in the lower lever and with the right reading level books to use with it, it can count for high school literature credit in 9th grade. I'm about half way through it.

Conversation With Character- Manners, conversation skills, etc. Lots of fun! Have not used it all, but little bits over 3 yrs.

Math Mammoth-love, love, love it!

CLE Math-our other love (we use both together)

Happy Phonics-the games are so much fun and the dc love it. I've used it with both dc. It's one of the few curric I will save for the grandchildren! (I just use it as a supplement, not our whole phonics curric, but you could if you wanted to!)

Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos. On our second time through-it is so well done.

Just to be real, I'll only list the programs we've used for at least one full year. . .

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE:

• Singapore Math PM (two graduated, third kid using now)
  • Miquon (two graduated, third kid using it now)
  • Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Spanish (two kids using for just over a year now)
  • Rod & Staff English (not using it anymore, as I am in love with MCT and might never go back to R&S. . . but 2 kids used very successfully for several years)
  • Explode The Code (helped 2nd & 3rd kids learn to read, and especially to SPELL)
  • 100 EZL (taught all 3 kids to read)
  • Pathway Readers (loved, loved, loved these with all 3 dc. Gr 1- Gr 3 books)
  • Thinkwell PreAlgebra & Intermediate Algebra (older dc have each had great success with this)
  • Rosetta Stone Spanish (great supplement and great for littles to learn independently. many years of use for all 3 kids.)
  • Spelling Work Out (just gets the job done with all 3 dc for many years)
  • Sonlight Cores (elementary grades: Cores 1,3,4,5 & 6 so far. Just for history, reading, and read alouds)

A couple things that are still new to me but I am very excited about and have been using at least several weeks, lol:

• MCT (all four parts)
  • Art of Problem Solving Math

Math:

Math Mammoth

Life of Fred

Timez Attack

Facts First

English:

MCT Language Arts

Discovering King Arthur: Medieval Mystery and Meaning (DUKE/TIP course)

History: OUP series

World in Ancient Times

Medieval & Early Modern World

Pages from History

Science:

CPO Science

Other:

Elementary Spanish

Discovery Streaming science/history/literature videos

Teaching Company courses!

Jackie

MCT -- this has totally changed our homeschooling experience -- I cannot say enough about it. Having Language Arts in one cohesive package is saving me from so much wear and tear...........and all three kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....oh, and they are learning and retaining, too!

History Odyssey-Middle Ages - LEvel Two --A truly literature based, planned out curric.

IEW Phonetic Zoo (for spelling) -- do not understand why I don't see more folks raving about this --it is excellent.

CW - AESOP level -- LOVED THIS!

We are really enjoying Sonlight K Science and Horizons Math. DD also loved Reader Rabbit Math K-1st and Beginning Mathematical Reasoning for 3 and 4 year olds (it's the green PreK math book from The Critical Thinking Company but it's out of print now).

I loved this tread -- thanks everyone! I guess I could post some of my favorites:

CLE Math has been amazing for my 5th grader this year (after trying for too long to make SM work for him). It's a thorough program too, and I will seriously consider starting my next child with CLE, despite my former love for SM.

TOG -- great book choices for history and literature, love the weekly schedule. Teacher's notes are wonderful, even if I don't always read them thoroughly enough.

Elementary Greek -- we're in volume 3 now. The program covers a difficult language in an effective way and at just the right pace, and, very importantly, it's so easy to use with its daily workbook segments. The flash cards (love the one rounded corner) and the audio CD are so helpful too. Highly recommended! :)

Online Latin with Artesian Wells -- fun and motivating for my dd and so nice for me that someone more capable is handling her Latin now. We'll enroll for next year too!

Rod & Staff English has served us well, giving the dc a solid background in grammar.

Classical Writing (Aesop, Homer, Poetry, & Maxim so far) has been great for my oldest. So far we've used WT for my middle because he could participate in a local class -- good too.

CD Pre-Algebra has been good for dd -- the teacher is great (likely better than any math teacher I ever had), but I wish there was more help with a concrete schedule. (Around Christmas, we finally went with dividing the remaining objectives by the number of remaining school days and making a schedule. This seems to be working very well -- the just-work-for-1-hour-a-day method was too loose for us.)

My real reason for posting, though, is to give Tina "rep points" for her post, quoted below. Great advice. Thanks!

Have I mentioned the Phonics Road? :smilielol5:One great reason: GAPS. I used the variety stuff for the Elders and gaps, gaps, gaps...and yes, we finished every book we have ever started. Still, gaps and/or boredom.

Apologia Elem. works great for us, but only when we shorten it to 16 weeks. Drawing it out for an entire year has never worked for my family. We need more variety. I have found Noeo accentuates both the style (CM) and the rotation I desire (Classical 4 year cycle) with appropriate ease of use and content. I have needed to add a few things here or there b/c we get tired of straight notebooking, so we add in pictures, booklets, and self created worksheets of word searches, matching, etc. I have used, but did not enjoy: MFW, Considering God's Creation, unit studies I created (fun, but SO MUCH TIME to plan), Christian Kids Explore...(dc really dislike this)

I like RS4K, but think living books are necessary to concrete each topic, although I have only used pre-level, 1 and 2. I can't speak to anything more. Makes a nice companion to Noeo.

Apologia Middle Sciences were a bust for us...too textbook style for my gang who prefer living books and visual activities. They learned from it, but did not enjoy it at all...even my book devourer. Too dry...sniff, sniff...that would have made for very easy high and middle school science for me.

Middle School science still needs to be hands on. It's very easy to choose very booky materials and drop the fun of hands on. I won't make that mistake again!

I approached middle school too hard and didn't allow room to grow into the level...enter slowly, tread lightly. You Will See The Lightbulb Shine...then add to the load!

I haven't used a history I didn't like, but Love TOG b/c of the organization and ease of use. Yes, I said ease of use. Once you're comfy and decide what you want from TOG, it is very easy to use. It it thorough enough to satisfy Teacher and offers enough variety to please students. I do find the SOTW to get drier as they go along. Still make a descent resource, but I prefer other spines. I also enjoyed MOH, but found myself putting too much with it to be effective.

MUS has been both bust and good. Honestly, the application of Fractions was fabulous! Makes visual sense and goes far beyond pizzas! On the other hand, for my dc who prefer variety, the mastery approach failed them on 2 notes: 1. the master approach and 2. they forgot many skills they had previously learned. I was disappointed b/c i spend over $400 in one year to get all the levels we needed. I also (no hate please) found it non-challenging, even for the less math proned students in our home.

Singapore, for my math minded children, is the greatest ever. They LOVE it! For those less math minded...totally stressful!

HWT, although this was good, I found the paper use to be very expensive in the end and made the transition to other paper confusing. I was disappointed b/c it comes so highly rec.

FLL was sweet, but retention was poor (except for songs and memorization).

RS is great, as we've used it for spelling, grammar and math over the years......there are more exciting ways to do the job just as well. Some things won't ever be fun, but I have found our solution to total grammar instruction AND we have fun doing it. .

Co-ops were great for Elem...not so much after that!

Loved Pathway readers, although the wb were replaceable with better materials over all.

Atlas, globe, maps, board space (white or chalk), nice pens and pencils....push pencils...too much time wasted on sharpening with this many dc!

I think overall some non-material things I learned were:

1. Chill out in K. Teach them to read and count with pleasure. No need for heavy academics in K....even for those of us who turn academically nazi later on...see my blog :) I am Tough in school! Still, use this year to nurture the love of learning...as much as I thought that would just come naturally, it didn't! If they start to cry, reevaluate daily.

2. Stick with something if it is working, but isn't fun and at the same time....

3. drop it if it isn't working after 4 months. Too much bouncing hurts, but sticking with something terrible changes attitude in a negative light. For example, Life of Fred....I'm all about rigor, so I thought fun and rigor could not exist. I was wrong. LoF made my son a new student!

4. If you follow WTM you avoid computers early on...they work great for drilling....digital flash cards are pretty much the same as paper ones.

5. Learn your trade. If we were in the work force, we'd keep up on what is happening in our respective fields...keep educating yourself in your field. Read ahead to the next level of WTM so you know where you're going b4 you get there and freak out...

6. Use mentors...online or IRL.

7. Figure out what style your child learns best using. Makes all the difference in the world. Be aware the appearance of their strengths will change over time. Don't be afraid to individualize their lessons...particularly in Logic and beyond. We could all use the same materials easily in elementary school (although math was a different story), but in jr high....they share much fewer materials.

8. Print out good threads and file them away!

9. Get organized...you'll appreciate it a lot when the lovely 2-3 days turn into 7+ hours of school....trust me.

Edited by profmom

We love:

Saxon math - we switched from MUS, the mastery approach was not for my ds

WWE - this is exactly what my ds needed for writing

CHOW - a great introduction to history

How to teach art to children -wonderful for non-artsy mom

Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons - wonderful and what great results

Here are our favorites for DD11. Others have been adequate or good, but these are the stand-outs:

Singapore Math

Lively Latin

Junior Analytical Grammar

I'm sure there will be more likes and dislikes once DD#2 is school age. She is so different from DD#1 and will no doubt have a completely different learning style.

Lana

Bible: I think I've probably enjoyed most (not used all of, but enjoyed) the Memoria Press Christian Studies programs we've used. This curriculum provides more info than any other single program I've ever used and each book can really be used for probably at least two years, rather than just one. I like a program that provides you with plenty of material to pick and choose from!

Math: Singapore is the single best math program I've ever used. I've used others for drill, etc., but Singapore really teaches kids to think mathematically. Newer books that I've only recently become acquainted with but love include the Life of Fred series and Zaccarro's math books (Challenge Math, Real World Math, etc.)

Grammar: I, too, loved FLL in spite of all the repetition. I also love Emma Serl's Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons. I've mostly used Abeka grammar in past, due to its sheer thoroughness - but love? No, not the way I love FLL, PLL, and ILL.

Writing: No huge "loves", but my son did use WordSmith Apprentice last year and seemed to really enjoy it.

For handwriting (especially for boys), I think there's nothing better than Getty-Dubay Italics! Love it!

Spelling: Both my sons have used Spelling Workout all the way through and it has been a good fit for both. I feel that it makes a good word study in the last few books, too. The editing practice was also worthwhile, in my opinion.

I have really found no Spanish or Latin programs that I'm just simply crazy about, except for younger kids. I really liked McGraw Hill's Teaching Spanish to Children, which comes with a colorful workbook and CD's, and I really liked Minimus and Minimus Secundus for Latin.

There's nothing I've come across in Logic that absolutely rocks my world......

I tend to cobble together my own things for literature, geography, science, and history studies, rather than using a single text or program. I, too, love SOTW and have added it to my repertoire for my younger son. I love Science in a Nutshell kits, for the most part. I like Beautiful Feet's geography study and especially their maps to go along with the Holling books.

I tend to put together my own things for art and music appreciation, too......

Over the years...

100 Easy Lessons & Explode the Code-Worked great for us!

Big Book of Diagramming-Started our love of diagramming!

Time Travelers History studies-Fun!

Worldly Wise-Excellent vocab building program.

A Beka Math-Advanced and moves fast but it works for us.

Life of Fred-this is a fun and entertaining math. We love it!

Florida Virtual School (Middle and High School Courses)-used for Spanish, Latin, Cultures, and several other classes. All good!

CHOW-Calvert School-The interactive CD really made this better.

Civics-Calvert School-Dry but the info presented well.

History Odyssey series-we use this in conjunction with living books and Unitedstreaming ed videos.

Apologia Science (7th grade up)-used with Unitedstreaming. We like that it has a lot of experiments and covers a lot of science history as well.

The Elements by McHenry-fun chemistry course. The children enjoyed the memory game.

Pretty much anything by Critical Thinking Co. !!!

Whatever Happened to Penny Candy (economics)-do the unit study with this. It is great!

Sophie's World (Novel about the history of philosophy)-used as the spine for a full unit on philosophy.

I'm sure there are more but these are the standouts. :)

LLATL Green (7th) - the Poetry and Shakespeare units are outstanding

IEW SWI - Andrew Pudewa is an excellent instructor for the kids - I wouldn't want my kids to miss out on his humor.

Rainbow Science - love that EVERYTHING is included!

BF History of Science - Beautifully integrates chronological history and science with literature and even includes experiments.

Atelier Art - so easy to implement and the results are fantastic!

CLE Math for a spiral loving child

LFBC World History (8th) & US History (9th) - both are great for 7th-9th grades for conservative families.

High School:

Notgrass Exploring American History - just can't say enough about how many primary sources documents and speeches are covered in that year.

Elementary:

Spell to Write and Read/SWR - even though it is teacher intensive at first, it has provided the best foundation for my 2nd generation kids and wished I had used it with my 1st gen'ers.