Menu

If you were starting a home library from scratch...

We have plenty of picture books as well as encyclopedias of (insert topic here). We do not have much fiction, so I was wondering which 3-5 works of fiction you would consider a must-have for the elementary and middle school ages. Up until now, we've used the library, but now I have a little extra money to spend towards our library, so please help me set up a proper library for my kids.

Cindy

Edited by extendedforecast
Edited to add my name at the bottom

I have no suggestions. I couldn't even begin to start a list of only 3-5. lol. We literally have hundreds and hundreds of books. So many that I have had to store them at my parents house until we have more space :tongue_smilie:.

But I DID have to scale back and donate SOME. (It was TORTURE, let me tell you!)

Good luck!

There are so many that I would suggest, but the first 5 that come to mind are:

Charlotte's Web

The Cricket in Times Square

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Homer Price

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Not to say that these are the most important, but they were just the first 5 good books that popped into my head. :001_smile:

Gosh, I could give you tons of titles, but the ones that initially came to mind when I read your question are the Holling C Holling books. We're thoroughly enjoying them here. They're books to be savored, imho.

Pagoo

Paddle to the Sea

Minn of the Mississippi

Tree in the Trail

Seabird

Anything by E.B White is also good.

For middle schoolers, I love The Giver, House of the Scorpion, Night, The Diary of Anne Frank, Holes, and The Incident at Hawk's Hill. Some of them may be considered controversial, so you may want to review content before adding them to your library.

Edited by jenL
added more

Like others, we have an immense home library, built up over many years. (Some books go back to my early childhood -- and I'm nearly 55 !)

One effort I always have made is to decide whether a book is a "forever keeper", worth handing down to the next generation, or whether it is a "current use 'read' ". If a book is a "forever keeper", I will spring for a hardback version. (Sometimes this is not possible, and only paperback versions are available.) If you have been using the library for a while, you already are developing a "feel" for which books you would value for many years. Start with those titles.

Like others, we have an immense home library, built up over many years. (Some books go back to my early childhood -- and I'm nearly 55 !)

One effort I always have made is to decide whether a book is a "forever keeper", worth handing down to the next generation, or whether it is a "current use 'read' ". If a book is a "forever keeper", I will spring for a hardback version. (Sometimes this is not possible, and only paperback versions are available.) If you have been using the library for a while, you already are developing a "feel" for which books you would value for many years. Start with those titles.

This is very good advice. Thank you :) I was a bookworm when I was a child (I still am), but for some reason, the books I liked back then do not interest my oldest DD. My younger ones pretty much love anything I suggest.

Gosh, I could give you tons of titles, but the ones that initially came to mind when I read your question are the Holling C Holling books. We're thoroughly enjoying them here. They're books to be savored, imho.

Pagoo

Paddle to the Sea

Minn of the Mississippi

Tree in the Trail

Seabird

Anything by E.B White is also good.

For middle schoolers, I love The Giver, House of the Scorpion, Night, The Diary of Anne Frank, Holes, and The Incident at Hawk's Hill. Some of them may be considered controversial, so you may want to review content before adding them to your library.

We love EB White. I've never heard of Holling C Holling. We'll have to check out this series.

When I was beginning to build my library, I ordered a Sonlight catalog and got tons of great titles from there. I also agree with the poster that suggested the Newbery and Caldecott winners. You can google for a list of titles. And if you find that you want/need more picture books, you can't go wrong with the Five in a Row booklist. :)

We literally have hundreds and hundreds of books. So many that I have had to store them at my parents house until we have more space :tongue_smilie:.

I am envious of all those books. Well, not envious, but I wouldn't mind having hundreds of books. We had quite a few, but having moved recently, we had to purge a lot of our collection, which was very difficult. So, I can relate a little.

We literally have hundreds and hundreds of books. So many that I have had to store them at my parents house until we have more space :tongue_smilie:.

I hear you ! We could be running a public library for a tiny town, operating from our house. We don't store any at my parents' house. No, the situation is far worse. When they return to the Lord someday (and they are 86 and 87), ALL of their books will be left to US. (I'm running for cover already !)

I would buy the books they most love and reread from the library. When my dd was little, her favorite book was the Usborne Time Traveler. Since then, it's Her Majesty Queen Hatshepsut. I have NO idea why she likes that book so much, but she claims to have read it 18 times, lol. Like the others, I recommend used sales to you. Nothing worse than paying full price and having your kid read it once. The Goodwill gets great books, if you go in once a week to check. Yardsales will be starting up again soon as spring comes. Make your money go further by buying used! :)

When my dd was little, her favorite book was the Usborne Time Traveler.
My dd's too. I had to buy another copy for my younger dd to have her own. Apparently she can't share her favorite book even if she has outgrown it. She's saving it for her children and is afraid her sister won't be kind enough to it.

To the OP - besides the ones already posted, my kids love E. Nesbit and E. Eager above all else. The Little House series, Little Women, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Bruce Coville's Shakespeare stories, anything by K.Y Craft, Jan Brett or Marianna Mayer.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We have plenty of picture books as well as encyclopedias of (insert topic here). We do not have much fiction, so I was wondering which 3-5 works of fiction you would consider a must-have for the elementary and middle school ages. Up until now, we've used the library, but now I have a little extra money to spend towards our library, so please help me set up a proper library for my kids.

Cindy

OK, I did the best I could with an impossible assignment. It's not technically cheating to include box sets, right? ;)

A good poetry anthology. I like Favorite Poems Old and New.

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Chronicles of Narnia I just bought this exact version in hardcover and it is gorgeous!

This E.B. White box set of Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan

Anne of Green Gables box set

Seriously though, this is not fair! :tongue_smilie:

Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, Doctor Dolittle, Just So Stories, Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Lord of the Rings, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Little Women, The Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, The Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Robinson Crusoe...

I don't have any particular books to add to the list but just a regret which might help you avoide the same problem. In the interest of building up a library and saving money I bought far too many paperback books. Many of our paperbacks are coming apart or are bent and wrinkled. Some of them are favorites that are no longer available. To save money I should have bought used hardback or library editions wrather than paperbacks, in hindsight.

I think you will need to get some based on your child's interests or maybe what you think their interests will be. We found a great set of EB White's books, Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, The Trumpt of the Swan in a small bookstore, they were pretty inexpensive because they were overstocks. My daughter has enjoyed them a lot. Tonight we just finished The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and discussed reading The Hobbitt. I try to buy books that she is currently ready to listen to and will probably want to read for herself later.

There are so many that I would suggest, but the first 5 that come to mind are:

Charlotte's Web

The Cricket in Times Square

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Homer Price

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Not to say that these are the most important, but they were just the first 5 good books that popped into my head. :001_smile:

:iagree: A great place to start. I would put the Narnia series on my list. And I'm a huge fan of William Steig's Dominic and The Real Thief.

• 3 years later...
Guest BookLover210

I suggest:

The city of ember series by Jeanne DuPrau

The ascendance series by Jennifer a. Nielsen

The Giver series by Lois Lowry

Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

Percy Jackson series by Rick Rioridan

I suggest:

The city of ember series by Jeanne DuPrau

The ascendance series by Jennifer a. Nielsen

The Giver series by Lois Lowry

Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

Percy Jackson series by Rick Rioridan

I was waiting to see Harry Potter! We love all things Harry Potter at our house.

If I were only getting a few books, I'd get ones that we could enjoy as a family and would want to read repeatedly.

Wind in the Willows, illus by Inga Moore

Charlotte's Web, 50th anniversary edition, out of print, available used

Random House Book of Poetry for Children

OK, I did the best I could with an impossible assignment. It's not technically cheating to include box sets, right? ;)

A good poetry anthology. I like Favorite Poems Old and New.

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Chronicles of Narnia I just bought this exact version in hardcover and it is gorgeous!

This E.B. White box set of Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan

Anne of Green Gables box set

Seriously though, this is not fair! :tongue_smilie:

Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, Doctor Dolittle, Just So Stories, Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Lord of the Rings, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Little Women, The Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, The Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Robinson Crusoe...

The poetry book is old as the hills and one of the best around. We have multiple copies, as I pick them up at used book sales.

Check out Book Sale Finder

http://www.booksalefinder.com

Fiction is ebooks and library books now. Period. With VERY few exceptions.

I am purging like crazy right now. I talked about it and prepared and transitioned for almost a year and now the great purging has begun. My only problem at this point is affording the shipping to give it all away. I don't sell books. and don't even like to collect shipping from people. I do NOT like the stress of worrying about customer satisfaction!!!

Every book you take home, is a book that will eventually need to be disposed of. Disposing of books is easier than other items, but still a concern, especially if you feel guilty about throwing them away.

I'm going to just take some of the books to the library sale and just hope they don't get wasted with the TMs getting separated from the texts, but I'm too overwhelmed with my stash right now, to care so much.

If you know you will have book guilt, be careful about taking on the RESPONSIBILITY of starting a home library. Yes, it was a blessing to all my neighbors and friends and students that used it, BUT it was too big of a job for ME. I like the freedom of living light.

Mensa has a reading list. I was looking at the K-3 list the other day. Everything DD had already read had been a hit, as well as the few I checked out from the library based on the list. The reading age is very broad though. I'll be printing it and taking it to the library so the librarian can put it in categories for me. One thing I liked was that the list was twaddle-free.

But, 5 books seems like a such a small number. That is the number to take on vacation not start a library.

Definitely Little House books, E.B.White, and Narnia. James Herriot and A.A.Milne are excellent as well.

Otherwise...

Treasure Island (a little beyond elementary level) :)

A Little Princess

The Secret Garden

Pilgrim's Progress (abridged & illustrated)

The Book of Virtues & The Moral Compass set (excellent collection!)