Menu

What Was With The Moon Last Night?

Was I alone in seeing the moon last night looking like a "smile" rather than a "crescent"???

It was weird. Can someone explain what that was about? That's not "normal" is it? Or have I just not been paying attention :001_huh:

Bill (who feels he losing touch with reality :tongue_smilie:)

Was I alone in seeing the moon last night looking like a "smile" rather than a "crescent"???

It was weird. Can someone explain what that was about? That's not "normal" is it? Or have I just not been paying attention :001_huh:

This blog seems like it might be addressing the phenomenon you're describing, a "new crescent moon," or the very first sliver of crescent moon signaling the next lunar cycle. The picture used on some of the pages looks more like a smile than a crescent.

Obviously, the moon you saw wouldn't be the newest crescent moon, but maybe it's just the skinnier sliver?

I think it's quite obvious the moon was happy to see you.

And she doesn't even like Alice in Wonderland (well except for the cat!).

DD8 and I stood outside in the cold quite a while last night looking at the stars--and that BEAUTIFUL moon!

That's what I said to my son...it looks like the Cheshire Cat.

At least I wasn't the only one :lol:

So is this a regular occurrence that, somehow, in my 5 decades on the planet I've just failed to notice???

Bill

So is this a regular occurrence that, somehow, in my 5 decades on the planet I've just failed to notice???

Bill

I said it to the dog :001_huh:.......he seemed unimpressed HarleyOnCarFloor.jpg...but I also wondered how in my 5.5 decades, I was only just noticing this.:)

I saw it for the first time last month and then again last night. I had never seen it look like a smile before either.

I'm at least finding comfort knowing I wasn't alone.

Did you find it spectacularly unusual? Or was it just ho-hum?

Bill (who will admit it freaked him out :D)

I first noticed this moon about a month ago and thought it was a weird partial eclipse.

I discovered it has to do with the orbit, how close it is to the horizon and how close you are to the equator.

http://feu.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070124232310AAIcS9k

Oh sure, use science :D

So how often does this Cheshire Cat moon happen?

Bill

I did ask my son (5.5) if he'd ever seen the moon look like that.

Never in all my life Daddy :lol:

Bill

Oh, to have a 5.5 year old again -- well, hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe not......I'll have to make do with the 10 year old and the 9 year old twins......and there are the grand-daughters: 6.5 and 4.

Spectacularly unusual? Well, noticeably unusual......which I think is a great thing b/c it has given me cause to stop focusing on the snow and all the stuff with our house and look beyond all of that so as not to miss 'spectacularly unusual' things! So, while there may not be any flowers to stop and sniff, there is a moon to see. Thank You!3074429538_be4d118128.jpg

Bill

This is an easy one! Bill, it's just God smiling down on you and yours. :lol:

I've seen a smiling moon in Hawaii and a huge, double haloed moon as well. The moon there is so beautiful. Maybe it's just that the weather is so nice that it's easy to go outside and watch all those things.

We used to live in a high rise in Chicago on the lake, and the moon was gorgeous there, too, especially reflecting on the lake, but I don't remember any smiling ones. Single haloes, yes.

Bill

Yep, that's what we said too!! :lol: Though I also called it a Horned Moon since it looked like bulls horns to me

My kids always call this the Cheshire Moon. We have seen them before but I am especially tuned into the moon. I am always awestruck by the moon, every single time I see it. Seriously, it is not safe for me to drive anytime we have afull moon near the horizon or any even slightly unusual moon phenomenon. I will drive right off the road looking at the moon. I am not much better with walking. I need to be stationary when observing the moon so as to give it my full attention. Lucky for me, that is very easy to do as my deck in the backyard gives me a perfect view of the moon and I get to observe it on a regular basis when I let the dog out each night. My kids find my fascination with the moon somewhat amusing.

It definately was an Alice in Wonderland moon. I kept expecting the eyes to appear.... a little spooky quite honestly.

When my daughter was 2 or 3, she and dad liked to go look at the moon. (They still do, occasionally, but she really liked it at that age.) They would look out the back door first, then she would demand to see the "other one moon." So, they would go out the front door and look at the "other one moon." Since she was so young, we never figured out if she actually thought there were two different moons or she just liked making dad look at it with her from the front and back of the house. We kept telling her there was only one moon, but there is only so much (or maybe none!) reasoning you can do with a 2 or 3 year old, at some point you just have to go with the flow.

I first noticed this moon about a month ago and thought it was a weird partial eclipse.

I discovered it has to do with the orbit, how close it is to the horizon and how close you are to the equator.

http://feu.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070124232310AAIcS9k

Thanks for this! Every time I've been to Singapore (2 degrees North latitude) I've been shocked to see just the bottom half of the moon. I've asked my host about it, but they didn't think it was such a big deal. The reason it was so notable to me is that I have never seen the moon look like that around here. I'll have to look for it now!

Ah. It is also called the a "Wet Moon." The period where this is most common, January 20 - February 18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_moon

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/a/can-the-moon-be-wet-or-dry

Well, now see, I haven't been paying attention long enough to notice that. Interesting piece of trivia to add to my collection of moon facts. :D

Well, it was significant enough to be a part of Hawaiian mythology.

Funny you mention that, because this morning I was thinking that I was so taken aback by the appearance of the moon that were I living in ancient times I would likely have looked for (or helped invent) a mythological explanation for this strange occurrence. It was so unsettling to my psyche that I long for an explanation.

The wiki article suggests this wet moon might happen yearly? But I've never seen a moon like this. So have I been inattentive, or is this moon really different???

Bill

Funny you mention that, because this morning I was thinking that I was so taken aback by the appearance of the moon that were I living in ancient times I would likely have looked for (or helped invent) a mythological explanation for this strange occurrence. It was so unsettling to my psyche that I long for an explanation.

The wiki article suggests this wet moon might happen yearly? But I've never seen a moon like this. So have I been inattentive, or is this moon really different???

Bill

From what I can tell it happens yearly, a passing from winter into spring event.

Here's an explanation I found, but I can't understand:

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2685.html

From what I can tell it happens yearly, a passing from winter into spring event.

Here's an explanation I found, but I can't understand:

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2685.html

So this happens EVERY YEAR, and it's just taken a half-a-century for me to notice??? It that what you are telling me?????? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure I can accept this :lol:

Bill

So this happens EVERY YEAR, and it's just taken a half-a-century for me to notice??? It that what you are telling me?????? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

That's what we are telling ya, Bill. ;)

I know the feeling though, when you notice something for the first time that has always been that way and when you ask around people look at you like you are crazy and then once you do notice it, it is so incredibly obvious that you wonder how it is possible that you didn't notice it before. It is terribly upsetting. I have taken to telling myself that I must have noticed it previously but that I forgot because you know, that is must less unsettling. :001_smile:

I did ask my son (5.5) if he'd ever seen the moon look like that.

Never in all my life Daddy :lol:

Bill

I like your sons answer. :lol: My dh and I were noticing the moon last night too, and thought it looked unusual. How did we all manage to get this old and not remember seeing the moon look just that way before ? I am 48. :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Even the farmer's almanac doesn't give us a heads up. :001_huh:

I had to dig around to find an explanation on their website.

So, how are we supposed to know to look for it?! As for me, I'm not usually outside this time of year looking at the night sky, so I have yet to see it. :tongue_smilie:

It was so unsettling to my psyche

My oldest son was completely unnerved by it. We were out for a walk, and he wouldn't let go of my hand...and he's "too Old" to hold hands with his mom now.

The weather isn't that great in Jan/Feb. Lots of cloudy nights, at least where I live.

Cat

OK, this is probably only of interest to myself, but I found an article from 1909 on the wet and dry moon for Popular Astronomy in the astrophysics data system.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1909PA.....17...11B

Umm, yeah I might be OCD :tongue_smilie:

But I prefer to think of myself as the needle in a haystack researcher.

Plus, I learned that there is a Digital Library for Physics and Astronomy. :001_smile: