Menu

Pet Peeve alert--could posters pls check the age of the thread b4 posting

There have been several posts over 2 years old that were resurrected today. They were posts where someone was asking advice about a particular situation, not necessarily posts that someone else could really benefit from.

So, could we please be a little more careful about checking the age of the thread before we post?

:D

I think the problem is the "similar threads" feature at the bottom of the page when you're reading a thread. I think that's actually the reason a lot of them are resurrected. I know you can make it so that people cannot post to threads that are more than 6 months old. I think that would be an extremely wise hack to add onto the general board.

I don't know the architecture of this particular forum, but at the forum where I work, it is less expensive for us for people to search for, and add to, existing threads then to open up a new topic.

I don't handle that end of the admin, but it has something to do with bandwidth issues over where I am.

Someone familiar with the architecture here would have to comment.

Obviously, 30 page threads don't help bandwidth no matter where they are.

a

I don't know the architecture of this particular forum, but at the forum where I work, it is less expensive for us for people to search for, and add to, existing threads then to open up a new topic.

I agree, this is why so many boards will delete duplicate topics.

That said, I wonder if it would be useful on these forums to have two different curriculum boards. Maybe a curriculum design forum for people planning out their next year and a curriculum review forum where every topic could be placed in alphabetical order and stickied. I think it would be more useful and result in less bandwidth use than people asking about RS4K, Sonlight or History Odyssey over and over.

I don't handle that end of the admin, but it has something to do with bandwidth issues over where I am.

Someone familiar with the architecture here would have to comment.

Obviously, 30 page threads don't help bandwidth no matter where they are.

a

I don't think that is an issue with vbulletin, which is what this board uses.

While I don't care about old threads being resurrected much, an old one of mine came up a few mos ago, & in it, I was talking about being pg.

I got congratulated. And I told dh that while it's bad for everybody irl to take one look & think I must be due any minute, it's BAD when that happens w/ imaginary friends who can't even see you! :lol:

*raising hand*

I have resurrected a couple of threads in the last few days. I apologize if it's against board rules, as I had no idea as such. I merely ran a search on something I was looking for, and wanted to add on to give credit to someone who had posted some information I found very helpful. I suppose I could have started a new thread to post my few extra lines, but it seemed best to me to credit the original thread which gave me the information I was looking for.

Sorry if I have offended so many of you.

Is it against posting protocol to dig up old comments? Why?

*raising hand*

I have resurrected a couple of threads in the last few days. I apologize if it's against board rules, as I had no idea as such. I merely ran a search on something I was looking for, and wanted to add on to give credit to someone who had posted some information I found very helpful. I suppose I could have started a new thread to post my few extra lines, but it seemed best to me to credit the original thread which gave me the information I was looking for.

It is not against the board rules to resurrect old threads. Annie, you did nothing wrong. :D

I personally prefer that old threads get resurrected. I hate searching and finding 50 threads on the same topic and many have the exact same post in each one.

I agree, when it comes to some things. For example, how many "what do you make for lunch" threads can we possibly need? I'm always searching my old posts and just reposting them in new threads.

Please search the boards for old information. We want you to! There is so much that has been explained very well in the past. But it is better if you have a spin off question from that old thread or found that your original question really wasn't answered, to start a new thread. And if the person in the OP was asking for advice, it's best to look at the date because their toddler in the thread might now be a teen! (Maybe not that bad but at least time and problems have a habit of moving on. . .!)

I think the problem is the "similar threads" feature at the bottom of the page when you're reading a thread. I think that's actually the reason a lot of them are resurrected.

Might have been me. :blushing: Fairly new still. Not on all that much, and still feeling my way around. I never thought about checking dates. The thread at the bottom just looked interesting:D Forgive me?

*raising hand*

Me too. I did that just about a week ago. I did a search on a topic and found a related thread. I wanted to find out how some things went that people had been planning. I had no idea this was problematic to anyone. I guess next time I will start a new thread, but I did want to hear from some of those specific posters.

Might have been me. :blushing: Fairly new still. Not on all that much, and still feeling my way around. I never thought about checking dates. The thread at the bottom just looked interesting:D Forgive me?

Me too. I did that just about a week ago. I did a search on a topic and found a related thread. I wanted to find out how some things went that people had been planning. I had no idea this was problematic to anyone. I guess next time I will start a new thread, but I did want to hear from some of those specific posters.

It's not against the board rules to raise old threads. In fact, for awhile, the moderators used to try to combine "update" threads with threads that had the original question/situation in it. I'm guessing they gave up because of so many new posters joining and new threads being posted freely, but still, I don't think I've ever seen a moderator post that it was a problem to re-raise old threads. My guess is that they prefer that, if your post is related to the old thread.

I *have* seen threads reraised, in a manner that appeared to me to be provocative. But I don't think that's the case most of the time. I think it's usually a case of someone just looking for info., to join into a thread of interest to them, or to bump up something they thought was worthwhile to review again.

Actually what bothers me is after it is pointed out that it is an old thread and every one laughs at it - someone comes in without reading the thread and starts responding again!

I honestly never, never check dates of threads...I haven't opened any old ones on WTM lately, but I do it tons on another forum I'm on. Honestly, it probably won't change for me...I just never think to look at the dates and probably never will.

ETA: I read full threads before posting...that means if the OP comes in and adds an update to the end of the thread (Hey, this is resolved, baby born...or whatever) then I'll know there's no reason to post (except maybe a congrats) but tons of people never update threads when things are resolved...which is a pet peeve of mine. :D

It is not against the board rules to resurrect old threads. Annie, you did nothing wrong. :D
Nope, nothing wrong at all!!!

What's funny is that when someone resurrects an old thread that I responded to in the past and I respond *again* thinking it's a new thread and, lo and behold, I say exactly the same thing! Talk about a broken record.

I've done that!

Totally off topic, but Mrs. Mungo, you have made me smile with your random quotes and signature. And since I'm having a WEEK that would make St. Francis kick babies, it's saying a lot to make me smile today. :001_smile:

I think the problem is the "similar threads" feature at the bottom of the page when you're reading a thread. I think that's actually the reason a lot of them are resurrected. I know you can make it so that people cannot post to threads that are more than 6 months old. I think that would be an extremely wise hack to add onto the general board.

Totally off topic, but Mrs. Mungo, you have made me smile with your random quotes and signature. And since I'm having a WEEK that would make St. Francis kick babies, it's saying a lot to make me smile today. :001_smile:

You have a great quote as well! I think I need it framed in my schoolroom. :tongue_smilie:

What's funny is that when someone resurrects an old thread that I responded to in the past and I respond *again* thinking it's a new thread and, lo and behold, I say exactly the same thing! Talk about a broken record.

Well, what is worse is when you say something else entirely. At least your consistant.

*raising hand*

I too have bumped a couple. When I use the search feature, I sometimes do not realize how old there are. :blush:

IMO, it depends on the subject matter. If I am asking for help about a particular problem with my children then the thread needs to stay buried after a long time has gone by. Chances are the problem has been resolved, but people will respond to the OP, so if you have a similar situation then post a new thread.

To put it simply, looking for math similar to Singapore? Looking for gluten-free recipes? By all means bump up an old thread. Did I post a year ago about my out of control ADHD child? Please don't bump it up and remind me. :tongue_smilie:

*raising hand*

As the recipient of a compliment in that resurrected thread, may I note that I thought it was most kind of Poke Salad Annie to revive the discussion, comment that things mentioned in the thread were working for her and then providing me with a thank you. Other inquiries were then made and she contributed more information.

One of the things that posters need to keep in mind is that not everyone lives over here on these boards 24/7. :svengo: So while something may be an old thread to one reader, its content may be quite new to someone else.

:grouphug: to my friend Poke Salad Annie.

Jane

I personally prefer that old threads get resurrected. I hate searching and finding 50 threads on the same topic and many have the exact same post in each one.

Don't feel bad, Annie. It's not against the rules. :iagree: with Aunt Pol. I'd much rather see *most* threads resurrected, like Aunt Pol, than see 50 threads ON THE SAME TOPIC IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. :lol:

Seriously. How many, "What should I use for X grade?" threads can we have?

Of course, some threads need to go to the graveyard never to be resurrected, but I find that happens very rarely.

I think it's usually a case of someone just looking for info., to join into a thread of interest to them, or to bump up something they thought was worthwhile to review again.

I too have bumped a couple. When I use the search feature, I sometimes do not realize how old there are. :blush:

AngelBee, I was thinking particularly of you (and I'm sure there are others like you) when I wrote the above - I've seen threads you've reraised with this: :lurk5:, and I realized by the content of them that you were simply using the boards like they are meant to be used. It doesn't matter if the thread is old, if it is helpful to you and you want to generate some more conversation.:grouphug:

One of the things that posters need to keep in mind is that not everyone lives over here on these boards 24/7. :svengo: So while something may be an old thread to one reader, its content may be quite new to someone else.

:lol: on the first part, and :iagree: on the second.

I was only talking about threads that were describing a poster's personal, temporary, situation, not curriculum-choosing or on-going struggles. Mostly it's the "help me make a decision about this kid or situation" kind. Even then, I totally get that someone may want to add in advice for others in similar situations. It's just that THAT would seem to warrant a new thread or a S/O.

No one is in trouble, and I don't mean to sound like I'm so bugged that I'm yelling at someone or anything. :D