Menu

Whats everyone doing for Valentines??

I have bought cards and candy for dc and dh. I plan on making brownie bites. That's about it for us unless someone can inspire me!

Well, this year Valentine's Day is on Forgiveness Sunday in the Orthodox church; what a great combination (forgiveness and love)! So that will be our day. It'll be a first for us so we'll see what it's like then I guess!

I'm going to a (free!) symphony concert at the university. We go every year.

MrTea is running around with our pastor today. I handed him $20 and reminded him to pick up a little Valentine something for our daughter. I also reminded him to remind Pastor to get something for his wife. I thought that was pretty clever of me to plant ideas like that! :) I may have even coughed the word "chocolate!" when I handed over the $20, I don't really recall...

Kiddos are going to watch The Scarlet Pimpernel (again), while dh and I go out for a glass of wine, and some kind of dessert (involving lots of chocolate). I am going to surprise dh with a heart-shaped homemade cherry pie (his favorite). We only get to see each other a couple of days/month, so we're going to make the most of our time together. I try not to think about the part where he has to leave again. :(

I just finished up the Valentines. Each child has a special one with their name, their nickname, and a goofy poem. My dh's, well, it's one for the kids to see. ;)

I also cut out a whole bunch of other red and pink hearts. One many of them are written jokes, trivia, fun facts, and "I love you" in different languages.

Breakfast will be eggs, toast, and bacon - a big favorite here. Somewhere I have a bread press with a heart that appears once toasted... now where is that?????

(I love audiobooks!!! I can listen and be productive!!!)

I know envy isn't a "good" thing, but oh, do I envy Tammy!! I would LOVE weekend w/dh!! ;)

Instead-will make a trip to the mall when it opens, get a small gift for dd at Claires, a small gift for ds at the major sports store, and treat dh and I to Victoria's Secret. >gasp<:cheers2::coolgleamA:

Dh is taking me out for dinner while dc have tv dinners and a movie or two-along with treats dd baked today.

We've never done anything like this, so I am hugely looking forward to it, and should get to bed!!:D (That grin is cheesy and w/o shame!!)

Dh and I celebrated Thurs. and went to see Bela Fleck and the Africa Project. Tomorrow, like every Sunday, we will have friends over for lunch. We've recently started reading poetry, singing, or otherwise sharing art with each other, so tomorrow everything will have the theme of love. Then at night, all the men in the church make a wonderful dinner for the women and provide entertainment while we eat. It's a tradition I look forward to all year.

He's making me salad and mushroom sushi roll things, we bought junk food and an old romance movie and will probably enjoy that while being crawled over by two small people. Tots aren't good for romance, really, but we'll make the best of it :)

Rosie

Rosie, I always love your replies! :D

We are going out to dinner sans kiddos which is a tremendous treat. I have received roses from my dh. The kiddos and I are going to church in a bit and when we come home we will have a little V-day party. That's about it which is more than usual for us.

My dh is working the Daytona 500 today.:D He got home at 10pm Friday and had to back at 7am Saturday. Last night he came home after 11pm and left here at 5am. No telling what time he will be home tonight - hopefully not too late (the race ends at around 4 or 5, so he could be home by 7 or 8.)

He'll probably go to sleep then. I am not expecting him to even *remember* that it is Valentine's Day!;)

We are so broke this Valentine's Day, so I prayed for some inspiration. Dh always buys the girls and me big heart boxes of chocolates, but that was not going to happen. So we went to the Dollar Store and got them each a big balloon and some plastic heart goblets and party plates. Next we ran to Aldi's and they had gorgeous flower bouquets for $3.99! We also found Irish chocolates, chocolate bundt cakes, strawberry tarts, and boxed truffles for just a few dollars each! So this morning when they came down for breakfast, their places were set with all sorts of beautiful goodies...all from Daddy. :)

Kids are making Valentine's bags right now - brown paper that they are decorating with hearts, flowers, etc. Then they're filling them withe valentines they have made. They they're decorating heart cookies. We're having salmon, green beans, rice pilaf for dinner on "heart plates" I picked up AFTER Valentine's Day last year. For dessert the heart cookies and peach ice cream. Dh and I have boxes of chocolate for the kids and a package of "great musicals" I picked up at Sam's. So, after dinner, we'll watch "Sound of Music."

Dh and I are having our Valentine's Day at home on Tuesday night with foot massages, dim lights, candles, music, and the rest is between us. ;) For a gift, I'm working on writing out "150 Things I Love About You" onto little slips of red paper. I'm filling a large jar with M&M's and the "150 Things." Why 150? Not really sure. Just that it's a lot and will go beyond the "normal" things I share with him that I appreciate about him. We regularly have three "stay-at-home" dates each month and one "go out" date (even if it's just coffee). Stay-at-home dates are definitely more challenging, but they enable us to have husband/wife time, which we both need.

Nothing. I like to opt out of commercially driven holidays as much as possible, if I can without hurting whoever its directed at- in this case, dh also doesn't like commercial holidays and so I dont think either of us even said Happy Valentines to each other.