Menu

Iran's "punch" to the Western world this Thursday Feb 11

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What creekland is referencing is called an EMP. What follows is an article about the threat of EMP's but does not specifically address Iran.

Posted on Thu, Aug. 27, 2009

Congress created a commission to study it in 2001. The commission concluded in 2004 that it was "one of a small number of threats that has the potential to hold our society seriously at risk and might result in defeat of our military forces," and that a determined adversary could use the weapon against us without "a high level of sophistication."

Last year, the commission issued another report saying it could lead to "catastrophic consequences." Earlier this year, another commission found the country had "done little to reduce its vulnerability to attack" with this weapon. And last week, 2012 presidential contenders Mike Huckabee and Newt Gingrich said they would speak at a conference on the possibility of such an attack being held by the group EMPACT America.

What's the weapon? An electromagnetic pulse, or EMP, which could be triggered by one or more nuclear warheads exploded more than 100 miles above the United States. Imagine a continent-sized, invisible lightning strike, only more devastating. To those not in a car or plane, it would resemble a power outage at first; nothing electrical would work.

But according to the Electromagnetic Pulse Commission, it would fry our electrical grid, as well as most devices with electronic components, including motor vehicles and backup generators. It could be months, maybe even years, before power is restored and vehicles are repaired.

Most cities would be out of food and medicine in a few days, thanks to the prevalence of "just-in-time" inventory. Without water pumps, there would be little potable water. Life after such a strike, EMP Commission Chairman William Graham has said, would look "a lot like life in the 1800s."

Only worse: The population of the 1800s wasn't concentrated in cities without access to sufficient food or safe water. People then knew how to survive without electricity and modern transportation. We don't.

In One Second After, a novel based on EMP Commission findings, military historian William Forstchen imagines life - or what would pass for it - after three EMP strikes affecting the United States. He depicts waves of death, starting with the passengers on commercial airplanes falling out of the sky, explosions in manufacturing facilities, and patients on life support; followed by the chronically sick, such as patients on dialysis machines or lifesaving medications; and then the victims of ruthless violence, disease, and starvation. All told, the novel suggests 90 percent of Americans won't survive a year. In short, doomsday.

So is the government taking the threat seriously? Well, the government has taken steps to "harden" senior leadership communications in Washington against an EMP attack. But the Department of Homeland Security doesn't include it on its list of potential threats, and the Defense Department has no plans to spend money on preparation. There are reports, conferences, and voices of concern, but we remain unprepared.

The probability and fallout of such an attack are debatable, but the scale of potential destruction demands action now.

Our post-Cold War strategy to prevent nuclear attacks has been to stop nuclear proliferation. That is a great strategy until it fails, which has already happened and is continuing to happen in Iran. We need to make our missile defense system fully operational now.

What else? Here is something the big spenders from one end of Pennsylvania Avenue to the other will be glad to hear: We need to spend money to study the electromagnetic pulse threat; to help states, localities, and families prepare; and to protect our critical electric infrastructure and transportation networks now.

America's enemies know our Achilles' heel and are no doubt planning to exploit it. The government is wise to protect our senior leadership. Now how about the rest of us?

Rick Santorum can be contacted at rsantorum@phillynews.com.

I had no idea about any of this Iran/11th stuff until seeing this mentioned here on the board yesterday - I don't follow a lot of news... and that would be because this kind of thing completely freaks me out. :001_huh:

Iran always makes the apocalyptic sort of statements around Feb. 11 in honor of the revolution. I doubt this year is going to be any big show but I do worry that we are so used to the threats that we stop paying attention. They are developing nuclear weapons. They do have missiles that could reach Israel. They have launched a rocket into space. I doubt the world is going to cease tomorrow, but they are getting a little scarier every day it seems.

Iran "now a nuclear state"

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Thursday his country has produced its first batch of a higher grade of enriched uranium, two days after the Islamic republic began the process.

Ahmadinejad told hundreds of thousands of Iranians celebrating the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution that the country is now a "nuclear state," but insisted Iran has no intention of building atomic weapons.

Maybe that's what the big thing was about, announcing that "higher grade enriched uranium" stuff?

Maybe that's what the big thing was about, announcing that "higher grade enriched uranium" stuff?

I wonder if that is it. I found this quote interesting from the article you linked.... "Ahmadinejad told hundreds of thousands of Iranians celebrating the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution that the country is now a "nuclear state," but insisted Iran has no intention of building atomic weapons."

He claims that he only wants to use the enriched uranium for fuel and medicines but how would that be a "punch to the West"? He secretly builds a second nuclear processing facility and threatens to wipe Israel off of the map, but he's not going to use that uranium for weaponry. Yeah right. It's like the guy who buys cigarettes and claims that he doesn't smoke them, he just likes to light them and watch them burn. :rolleyes:

I wonder if that is it. I found this quote interesting from the article you linked.... "Ahmadinejad told hundreds of thousands of Iranians celebrating the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution that the country is now a "nuclear state," but insisted Iran has no intention of building atomic weapons."

He claims that he only wants to use the enriched uranium for fuel and medicines but how would that be a "punch to the West"? He secretly builds a second nuclear processing facility and threatens to wipe Israel off of the map, but he's not going to use that uranium for weaponry. Yeah right. It's like the guy who buys cigarettes and claims that he doesn't smoke them, he just likes to light them and watch them burn. :rolleyes:

:iagree: If radicals don't think twice about killing their own children (including strapping bombs to two-year olds) then why would they think twice about killing ours? When they have full capabilities, they will not hesitate to use them.

We just watched a GREAT documentary last night and I urge everyone to rent it from their library! It's called The Third Jihad (subtitle: Radical Islam's Vision for America) it is really well done. Produced by an American Muslim, it is not about Islam, but about radical Islam. If your library has it, do rent it!

I'm holding out hope that the "punch" will be showing themselves to be better people. Their entire country is going green, they will be completely free from the chains of oil, all their people will be living in healthy conditions and thousands of new schools will be opened in the hopes of producing a well-educated, open-minded population. People's worth will be based on the sizes of their hearts and minds, without regard to gender/age/race/religion.

I can hope.

I'm holding out hope that the "punch" will be showing themselves to be better people. Their entire country is going green, they will be completely free from the chains of oil, all their people will be living in healthy conditions and thousands of new schools will be opened in the hopes of producing a well-educated, open-minded population. People's worth will be based on the sizes of their hearts and minds, without regard to gender/age/race/religion.

I can hope.

The Iranian people have never been the problem. Persians have always been extremely well educated and open minded.

The problem is a wee bit higher on the religious/political food chain (they are inseparable there).

a

What creekland is referencing is called an EMP. What follows is an article about the threat of EMP's but does not specifically address Iran.

Haven't you all watched GoldenEye?

This is exactly what I thought it was going to be. We've *known* they were refitting for this purpose.

What? You homeschool and you don't get to be hysterical very often? I'm moving to your house!

Ooops. I was commenting on someone else saying that she doesn't get to get hysterical very often. I haven't got the "quote" thing down.

Edited by rwalizer

:lurk5:

Darn, I was hoping no one noticed :D

Today Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced that Iran has the capacity to highly enrich uranium. This is not "news." In his own inimitable way Ahmadinejad "saber-rattled" by saying Iran is a "nuclear state" and then tried to have it both ways by saying Iran has no intention of building a bomb (as if he should be believed).

Meanwhile mass protests against the government (and suppression of those protests by security forces) continued. Unsurprisingly.

Bill

Did anything happen? I haven't seen the news all day.

Dallas is getting a lot of snow. That must have been IT!

:tongue_smilie:

been snowing all day. 7 inches piled on my car and it's still falling.

7 foot snowman has already been knocked down, and the ruins of two snow forts litter the lawn.

there's a snow "stage" in the back yard comprised of three huge snowballs, about 3 feet high. I expect we'll add to it tomorrow......

Dallas is getting a lot of snow. That must have been IT!

:tongue_smilie:

been snowing all day. 7 inches piled on my car and it's still falling.

7 foot snowman has already been knocked down, and the ruins of two snow forts litter the lawn.

there's a snow "stage" in the back yard comprised of three huge snowballs, about 3 feet high. I expect we'll add to it tomorrow......

That really took some doing - manipulating the weather that way. The whole city must be a mess by now. :lol: I could go on, but I'm sitting in Maine eating a popcycle while typing one handed.

I've been irritating my husband since this thread started, talking about how we can survive post Persian apocalypse. I have so many good survival plans for all sorts of scenarios (zombies, earthquakes, things like that).

Too much Poseidon Adventure and 28 Days Later. :001_huh:

I'm also looking forward to traveling in Iran someday, so much to see and do! :)