Menu

Listening to music while working-allow or not?

OK. My 9th grade ds loves music. Classical, jazz, big band.... This week he's insisted that listening to music while doing his work helps him concentrate and work faster. I beg to differ. He's a slow worker anyway (I don't know how he's going to function in the real world of allotted time and deadlines). When he listens to music, I don't see any drastic change in the amount of time it takes him to do his work (one way or the other). Well, let me take that back. It does seem to take him longer when he's up in his room doing work while listening to music.

Dad and I have told him once this year that he is NOT allowed to do school work in his room because he takes entirely too much time to do a normal amount of work (a simple algebra 1 assignment may take him 2 to 2.5 hours to complete and it's NOT a lot of work - Jann, you can attest to that). Well, he's 15 so of course we get the grumbling and complaining. There are times when I just don't want to hear it so with trepidation, I allow him to work in his room (hey, you gotta choose your arguments with teens).

What is the consensus on whether or not you let your dc listen to music while working? Is it worth me taking the time to time him with and without music to see which one really is the best working environment for him? I feel like I'm at my wits' end with this child (although he does his work even if it takes him all day....and he makes good grades). This is only our first year of high school. I can't teach or have my hands in some aspect of school from 8 a.m. until 11 p.m for another three years. My younger two dc (6th and 3rd grades) get done some time between noon and 3 (depending on how diligently they've worked)....so it's not me.

I'm open to all suggestions.....except send him to the "brick and mortar". :001_smile:

According to the DVD How to Become a Superstar Student music with lyrics is forbidden because your brain will have to do 2 things at once. Your brain automatically starts singing with the lyrics whether consciously or unconsciously, outloud or silently. If your brain is split between 2 tasks your not being very efficient with either one.

According to the DVD How to Become a Superstar Student music with lyrics is forbidden because your brain will have to do 2 things at once. Your brain automatically starts singing with the lyrics whether consciously or unconsciously, outloud or silently. If your brain is split between 2 tasks your not being very efficient with either one.

But if you have kids with ADD it actually helps because it keeps the busy part of the brain occupied. My kids have mp3 players that they are allowed to listen to while working. However, they are in the same room as me. I think this has more to do with being alone in a room and therefore being able to dawdle.

jibaker- that makes sense. He listens to symphonic music mostly so most of it doesn't have lyrics. But he is a musician, so he may be thinking about something else that has to do with music. I don't know. I have How to Become a Superstar Student....maybe I ought to have him watch it....AGAIN.

Mrs. Mungo - My ds does not have ADD, but he certainly does have a busy mind. And you are right about it might be due to him being alone in his room....dawdling. But he dawdles when he's down here with us (but he's not in the same room). It seems to me that a 15 y/o should be able to be in a separate room than the rest of the family and still get his work done.

I gotta go....I hear him humming to his music. :glare::banghead:

But if you have kids with ADD it actually helps because it keeps the busy part of the brain occupied. My kids have mp3 players that they are allowed to listen to while working. However, they are in the same room as me. I think this has more to do with being alone in a room and therefore being able to dawdle.

This.

I actually held mine back by not letting him listen to music. I had it carved in my brain that he couldn't do both, but in his case music calmed the wired side of his brain enough to get the work done. Headphones are a godsend. ;)

I'm not convinced yet. He JUST finished his algebra. He worked on it for 5 hours and 35 minutes (give or take some time because he did go to the bathroom). He only had 21 problems!:cursing: So....I really don't know....

I think I may have to restrict him from the music (he does use headphones) AND insist that he do his work in the same room as the rest of us. He's been doing school since 9 this morning -online class from 9-10:50, algebra 1 assignment from 11 to 1, online class from 1-2, and then back to the same algebra assignment from 2 to 5:35. And he's not finished. He still has a geography, science, and trumpet practice!

We have a big movie night at home every Friday. I've already decided to go ahead with our plans whether he's done or not and not to take him to Baltimore for orchestra rehearsal tomorrow if he opts to skip trumpet practice.

I am SO at my wits' end.

We listen to music during certain subjects, but it has to be the right music. Personally I prefer music without lyrics and I find Beethoven helps inspire concentrated thinking.

I think the rhythm is more important than lyrics/non-lyrics for ds. He's not ADD, but he's a wiggly learner and I think he finds silence too deafening.

Right now I'm supposed to be editing some of my own writing and I'm listening to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. It's too distracting, I'm trying to be an armchair conductor and clips of the movie are flashing in my head. :001_huh:

My ds listened to music when he was working alone, but one thing to look at is how much work he is doing alone. I agree that a 15yo should be able to do his work, BUT a 15 yo also needs social interaction. For my ds, the classes that he worked with others or the things that we discussed together were much more important and meaningful that the work he did alone. The highschool years include a lot of work that has to be done, but it shouldn't be done in a vacuum.

btw - my ds is a Junior in college now onthe otherside of the world and still listens to music when he is doing his homework.

My 16yo always listens to music while he's working on schoolwork. He works downstairs away from the rest of us most of the time. He comes upstairs off and on all day. I do walk down there if he hasn't been up in a while to make sure he is working. He is very diligent and never dawdles. He gets all of schoolwork done in a timely way, so I don't see why I should restrict his music.

Maybe the music isn't the problem. Have you tried giving him time limits on assignments? Is the work that difficult for him or is he just wasting time? I'm with you - I would be at my wit's end too. That would drive me nuts.

The work is not difficult for him, so it has to be that he's wasting time. I've tried giving him time limits. It's never worked. He has never been able to complete an assignment in the amount of time that my husband and I have set. It seems as though he gets stressed out if we say, "You need to complete this assignment by _____."

I just don't know where to go from here. I was thinking Sylvan Learning Center over the summer so he can learn some concentration/organization skills.

My first thought was to allow him to listen to music via headphones while he worked on his math in the same room as you or your dh. Or at least in an area of the house that is more accessable to being checked on than his room. I agree with some of the other posters that music WITHOUT lyrics is usually best. Classical music has been shown to ENHANCE brain activity and concentration-and to stimulate the right side of the brain so that it works more with the left... music with lyrics tends to stimulate BOTH sides of the brain and other processess (like THINKING) may end up taking the back seat...

I was going to include the following in a PM or e-mail but I though our plan might be helpful to other parents on the board.

Since he is in such a good 'position' in the book we could slow down just a tad--without letting him know that. Next week he only has one new concept then the chapter review. I will wait for the test until the following week. While he knows the material--it is pretty different stuff and a some of the problems will make him THINK--something most boys his age prefer NOT to do!

Seriously--he seems like a normal teen boy. He is 'relaxed' and not that assertive in class--but he does pay attention and has made great progress. 'Tomato stake' him this week and see if it helps. If he gets stuck then have him send an e-mail.

Over the years MOST of my students have been boys between the ages of 14 and 16. God gave me 3 daughters! I wish someone would tell me how to motivate my 17yo dd (with a Thyroid issue) to get her homeschool work done!

Jann

So far, the only time 13yo can listen to music is when he's typing up a rough draft - with headphones. I figure data entry doesn't require that much brain power, and I know I'm going to proofread it with him later anyway.

As far as dawdling, if he's taking too long with math (and why is it always math?), I get a cup of tea, pull up a chair beside him, and sit just slightly behind his line of vision. Sometimes he doesn't mind, other times he does. So far, though, it has always improved his ability to focus. It has not helped my ability to school the younger two, or get supper/laundry/chores done, but I am an impatient cuss and want him to be DONE already. At some point he's going to need to continue his journey towards independence, but so far he needs a physical presence.

Jann-thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion ("tomato stake him and allow headphones and nonlyrical music this week). However, I'm not sure we need to pull back. I think your workload is more than fair. I would like for him to stretch himself instead of us shrinking our expectations.

He doesn't have as heavy of a courseload as he did first semester. The first couple of weeks of the second semester, he was working very diligently and finishing his school day way ahead of everyone else. I don't remember if he used headphones or not during that time, but I do know that he was working downstairs with us.

The feeling I'm getting from most moms is that he IS just a normal teenage boy. But I want to know.....will he grow out of it? Is there hope for him finishing the SAT/ACT in a timely manner? :001_smile:

KathyBC - It's always math with my son also. I've tried the physical presence with my son too and it seems to irritate him that I'm there. Maybe a "less" physical presence is needed. I will try anything at this point.

KSVA- Children learn differently don't they. I'm still trying to figure mine out. It could be the music DOES help him and that we just need to figure out what type of music. I'm beginning to think too that he needs to be in the same room as the rest of us. This week I'm going to try Jann's suggestions and I'll update.

Thank you everyone for your responses. You all have been a blessing to my family's homeschooling adventure.

Have you tried a timer? Some people have no real sense of time passing, and a timer set to go off at reasonable intervals, say every half-hour, can be very helpful. It doesn't sound like environmental issues (being with you or in his room, music or no music) make a big difference either way!

My 15 yr old son sometimes listens to his MP3 player when he's doing work . I don't have a problem with it. It would distract me, but it doesn't seem to distract him. Of course.. he is the child who can read a book and listen to a book on CD (different book...) and know what's going on in both. I never could understand how that worked for him.

..Laura

just my 2c - I listened to classical music in college while I studied to drown out all the parties - it is the only way I could concentrate. I also realized that I was reading to the rhythm after awhile. However, studying to music w/words - no way! Maybe math but how can you read and listen to music w/words?!?!

I have allowed my daughter to listen to music while she works and ,although I was apprehensive at first, When I checked for understanding she was right on. Sometimes we have to pick our battles wisely, you know? Maybe you should relax on the music and concentrate more on working with dilligence and staying on task. Maybe the emphasis needs to be listening to music is ok if assignment is finished in 30 to 40 minutes? If not the music priviledge is taken away. (or something that will make an impact is taken away) Your student is older than mine, but it also helped to set a timer for my daughter.

Just a thought...;)

Good Luck!

It is my understanding that this is a male/female thing as well. In general, males want music and females do not. I think I've seen "studies" that say this.

My DH and I follow that pattern, but my children are opposite. Ds must have complete silence if any work is to be accomplished. Dd must have sound, music, tapping, humming, talking - at all times (drives ds & I crazy). The best solution at our house is headphones for dd.

I suggest you force the issue of location, keep him in the room or at least out of his, and then try with and without headphones and see if they help or hurt.

In response to the OP....I had to have music back in high school and college in order to concentrate. I couldn't concentrate at all without music. I had really bad tinittus.(Sp?) so the music drowned out the ringing in the ears. Also drowned out any other noise that were distracting to me.

Perhaps he is in a noisy environment? too many distractions?

Can you let him try for a month and see if there are any improvements?

Holly

I can attest to that. I rememeber getting in troubling for doodling in school while the teacher was talking but the truth was (one I couldn't articulate at the time) that without that anchor I often couldn't focus on what was happening in the classroom. Even now, and often even with my ritalin, I still need to play music while studying. To listen to an audio lecture and really focus I need to fire up Mahjong or Weave Words on the computer. Otherwise my thoughts wander.

I'd say that if the quality of his work isn't suffering, let him go with what he feels works.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. :grouphug:

This week I will try allowing him to listen (with headphones) to music WITHOUT lyrics and working downstairs in a room next to the rest of us. I'll let you know how it goes. I have tried a timer with ds and it did not work. He becomes too stressed out and can't do his work. However, I may throw a timer into the mix next week simply so that he'll have an idea of how much time has passed.

I let dd listen to music if she wants to, but not all the time. It's just the two of us during the day, and some days the house is extremely quiet. It is so quiet that you can hear the ticking of two clocks that we have downstairs. She and I both sometimes find it too quiet to concentrate, IYKWIM. That's usually when she'll listen to some of her music letting it play softly for some background noise. It actually helps her to focus.

I think each child is different though. You have to determine if it's a hindrance or a help, and it may also make a difference with various subjects.

It helped me jell some thoughts I'd never followed up on. Talked with sr. son and he agreed to music with no lyrics, and later said that did help. Further thought, while watching him study for exams, (got a laptop for Christmas) I saw him answering texts from girlfriend, frequently, and spending more time than okay on Facebook. Okay, he was past 17 before he started Facebook (I hold my kids back too well, sometimes) and I still don't like it, but he has used it very constructively to have group co-ordinations with other kids about projects, music practice sessions, etc. I go on and check what he's doing once in a while, too. SO, we made a further agreement (he's a senior and will supply his own self-discipline next year, so I try to get a contract situation going, before simply saying "here's the rule") that texting and Facebooking needed to be on hold during study sessions too. I gave him the old "back in my day" speech (he managed to stave off rigor mortis whilst I lectured) about how we were only allowed to use one means of communication and on a very limited basis....and what is wrong with the phone, even now? GOsh, I'm so old.

Anyhow, I feel so enlightened, just reading what you all are doing. Thanks.

LBS

PS YOunger ADD son, says that the music in the background is like organizing all the white noise (ticking clock, cars out on the road, washing machine, etc.) WHen his older sibs get home, though, he cuts it off and listens to them move around the house.