Menu

Frequency of cleaning out refrigerator

How often do you clean your refrigerator?  

1. 1. How often do you clean your refrigerator?

oops I shouldn't read your post before voting.

I clear out the stuff in it once a week.

Now a true cleaning, involving scrubing shelves and stuff? Um. Whenever I see the need. Might be weekly, might be months.

:iagree:

I clear out the stuff in the fridge a couple times per week. I do a thorough cleaning of the inside maybe every 2-3 months. Now sadly I don't pull out the fridge & clean the floor behind & underneath remotely as much as I should. I just did that in our old rental as part of our moveout and YUCK! :blushing:

What about you? :tongue_smilie:

I never clean out the entire frig or freezer at one time.

I clean individual shelves as I notice they need it. When they are starting to get bare, I will notice they need a wipedown. I'll take out the few remaining items on that shelf and clean it, wipe off the bottles and replace them.

Same with the produce drawers, except I do take those out and rinse them at the sink, then dry and replace.

The only exception I can think of is an incident a few weeks ago when I had a thawing piece of meat drip blood all over everything. Then I cleaned a lot more than normal to take care of that nasty mess :)

I do it every Saturday, before I do the weekly shopping. I don't take everything out, I just slide everything over to one side, wipe down the shelf, then slide it to to the other side and clean that side. I do take the veggie/fruit drawers out and give them a good wipe down so I can get to the bottom of the fridge. I only clean the shelves attached to the doors about once a month.

It takes about 15 minutes, and I never have to take it all apart and do a deep cleaning anymore, because it never gets that dirty. The best thing is that I always know exactly what's in the fridge so I don't end up with extras and I don't run out of stuff very often.

I clear out the expired or old things only when I get back from the grocery store and need the space. The shelves get cleaned off when they look really gross and I finally notice it. My thought is that it is too cold in there to really grow anything good if its not directly on food, so I'm okay with my very lazy method.

Except when I forget to look before people come over. Specifically, my mom or my mil. :blushing:

Then I consider getting more on the ball with those things, but once she leaves and my embarassment subsides, its back to business as usual.

Once a week -- I hate an icky fridge. The housekeeping staff here at the hotel laughs at our 'kitchen.' :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: You could perform surgery in it -- I am a cleaning nut. I baked Christmas cookies and made truffles in December -- I prepared a tray of goodies and sent it down to the front desk -- the hotel manager said the staff was on that tray in an instant -- 'our' housekeeping person was telling everyone: "OOOOOOOOH! Her kitchen is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO clean -- go ahead, EAT!":lol:

It will get cleaned more often if a holiday is coming, an extra trip to the store for said holiday occurs, -- I just cannot stand a less than clean fridge.

Mariann :leaving:I have to leave.....I just heard some dirt!

I voted every 3 months because that's how often I do a more thorough cleaning job, but I do maintenance on it regularly. I wipe things as I notice them, toss old food the night before the garbage is collected, and wipe the front daily. The shelves in the door get sticky pretty easily with kids pulling condiments out and oputting them back on their own, so I tend to wipe those weekly.

I clean individual shelves as I notice they need it. When they are starting to get bare, I will notice they need a wipedown. I'll take out the few remaining items on that shelf and clean it, wipe off the bottles and replace them.

Same with the produce drawers, except I do take those out and rinse them at the sink, then dry and replace.

The only exception I can think of is an incident a few weeks ago when I had a thawing piece of meat drip blood all over everything. Then I cleaned a lot more than normal to take care of that nasty mess :)

This is my MO as well. Just wiped a couple shelves today, in fact.

I haven't discovered sentient life in my fridge since college, though.
:lol:

I do it probably every 3-6 months, when I notice it needs it. I don't get a whole lot of spills other than olives, for some reason, and I go through everything pretty regularly to make sure nothing's getting gross. I ALWAYS do it before hosting big parties, so that guarantees it happens at least four times a year.

I do mine the night before grocery day. It is pretty darned empty by then making it a perfect time to clean the shelves. This works out to doing it pretty much bi-weekly though occasionally more often. It is one of the few areas in my house I have no problem keeping clean. Could be the fact I rarely have a lot in there to begin with lol

:iagree: This is exactly my approach, including a recent round of dripping disaster (maple syrup). :tongue_smilie:

me too!

though I do clean out the deep freezer every few months, just before having the next animal butchered