Menu

Anyone care to share their 7th grade plans?

Math: Foerster's Algebra I with Math Without Borders DVD

Language Arts: AG, Jump In, Spelling Mastery, Vocab Cartoons, and Lit via guides

History: Ancients with Little History of the World and Augustus Ceasar's World

Geography: Mapping the World with Art (McHenry)

Tech: Logo to Lego via TPS

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Memory: Mom chosen selections

Art: Draw Squad and outside class

We're in transition in our Language study, and we're not studying science formally this year.

Extra cirricular: Swimming, bowling, Aikido and running

HTH, Stacy

Math - VideoText Algebra

Sci - Campbell's Exploring Life (Biology) and Sonlight Sci 5

History/Reading - Sonlight Core 7

Writing - IEW SWI B & SICC B

Misc - Vocab from Classical Roots, Grammar Key, Figuritively Speaking (Literary Terms)

Foreign Language - Spanish, Rosetta Stone

PE - Soccer, basketball team

Art - Mark Kistler, Meet the Masters

Music - Piano lessons, Classical Kids

I think that's it ... more or less.

History/Literature/Art/Worldview: Tapestry of Grace Year 3

Math: Life of Fred Algebra

Science: Physical Science Prentice Hall Science Explorer

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Grammar/writing/vocab: Michael Clay Thompson Magic Lens 1

Foreign Language: Memoria Press French

Health: Horizons

Math: Videotext Algebra

Writing: Writing Tales 2

Grammar: GWG7

Vocab: Wordly Wise

History: All American History Vol II

Latin: Second Form

Logic: unsure

Science: unsure

Memory: Working on knowing all Presidents/their party/their terms

and whatever else I decide to throw in...but these are the cores that will not change

Just beginning to work on 7th:

Geometry (Jacobs, doing this class)

History Odyssey level 2 - Early Modern

Lightning Lit - Early-Mid 19th Century British (fall) / Early-Mid 19th Cent American (Spring)

Poetry Primer (Whitling)

(some additional reading from WTM7 list)

Athenaze Greek 1 (I think. Still not 100% sure which Greek we'll use. We'll finish Elementary Greek 3 this spring.)

Latin. Um... Doing Latin Prep 3 and Lingua Latina *this* year. Next may be SYRWTLLatin 3 and more Lingua?

SYRWTL Science 2 plus lab work from Thames and Kosmos

Christian Studies 2

Famous Men of Modern Times (book/workbook)

Critical Thinking Book 2 (for logic -- I *think*... some other options still on the table)

continued memory work... we'll repeat the mapping lessons from Mapping the World with Art next year, just to keep them fresh in mind... art and music undetermined... probably continuing with ballet 3x/week and Boy Scouts...

Math- LOF Beginning Algebra/ MUS Algebra 1 (not sure which or both?)

Writing- IEW American History Based Writing Lessons

Grammar- GWG 7

Spelling/Vocab- SWO G/ Vocab from Classical Roots

History- History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern

Geography-Runkle Geography (continued from this year)

Science- whatever is offered through co-op

My dd will be in 7th in the Fall....This is a VERY tentative Plan:

Math, Reading, Language Arts: CLE (not budging here)

Logic: Fallacy detective, Thinking Toolbox

History/ Geography SOTW 4 w/ VP materials (I already have all this so might as well) Will include library books and videos. I may skip some chapters that I don't want to get into with the younger kids.

Science: Apologia General. This will be a BIG stretch for her...but we will try. I may spread it out over 2 years.

God and the History of Art Part 2

Ambleside Online Artist, Poetry, Hymn, Plutarch, Shakespeare, Composer, Worldview, Free Reading etc from Year 6 schedule.

HTH

Faithe

Not sure if we will try to start Latin. I have put it off so long with this one, i am not sure if i will even try. I will be doing Latina Christiana 1 with her Brothers so maybe she will join in...not sure.....

Ds#2 turns 12 next week & this is what he'll be covering in 2010 when we begin next month:

Maths:

Math-U-See---Epsilon (finish), Zeta

Life of Fred---Fractions, Decimals/Percents

NZ Maths 8

NZ Logic & Reasoning 8

TTC: Basic Math

English / Language Arts:

Lively Latin 2

Sequential Spelling 2

Vocabulary Vine

Jump In Writing

NZ English 8

SL 3/4 Literature

typing

penmanship

Science:

Apologia General Science

Story of Science: Newton

NZ Science 8

Other:

NZ Social Studies 8

TTC: Western Civ.

TTC: History of World Lit.

Tech. Drawing : Complete-A-Sketch, vol.2-3

Violin lessons + Trinity Music Exams

Gymnastics (competative level 5)

Field Hockey (April-September, club team + provincial team)

Sailing (October-March)

SeaScouts

This looks like a lot, but not everything is done daily. Ds#2's day is divided into 4 "school" blocks of about a hour's work each + daily activities.

Blessings,

7th grade next year, subject to tweaking:

LA: MCT Voyage level, maybe Lightning Lit 8?

Math: Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1a/b

History: K12 Human Odyssey with lots of supplemental reading

Geog: Map Skills with World History

Science: CPO Earth Science (tentative)

Spanish: Spanish Now! Level 2

German: continue at Sat. School

I'd love to add in some logic, maybe the Critical Thinking Book 1? There doesn't seem to be another secular option...

Those are the main programs - we'll probably do LOF PreAlg/Bio over the summer, and continue with things like Grid Perplexors, Editor in Chief. etc.

I actually own almost all of the curriculum above - everything except LL8, Spanish Now 2 and Critical Thinking - no wonder it seems like I spent so much this year!

Oh, and for extracurriculars one of my futher 7th graders takes violin, is in a youth orchestra, and dances 3x/week, the other takes piano and a variety of things for PE. They will both take an outside art course in the fall - whether we manage to do any art the rest of the year remains to be seen...

7th grade next year:

Math: LoF--Pre-Alg Bio and something else. I don't know that he will be ready for Alg I.

LA: Jump-in, Vocab Cartoons II, Maybe RS 7(just to keep the Grammar skills well tuned). I always put together my own reading lists/lit. guides

History: BJU Heritage Studies 7 and Texas History(putting that together myself)

Science: Apologia General Science

We'll keep on with Hey Andrew for Greek and start The Thinking Toolbox for Logic.

That's what I've got planned so far.

7th grader:

Math-R&S 8 and Singapore

English- CW Homer, narrations

Latin- First Form

French-L'Art de Lire, First Start French

Geography-Book of Marvels

Arts-Art Album, Composer/Artist study, History of Art Sculpture, Piano, Drawing & Watercolors

Literature- King Arthur, Puck of Pook's Hill, Age of Chivalry+ Legends of Charlemagne, English Literature for Boys and Girls, Ivanhoe,Canterbury Tales (Retold), Idylls of the King, various poems esp. Keats and Longfellow, Daughter of Time and Henry V

World History- Story of England, Story of France, Story of Middle Ages

American History-This Country of Ours, George Washington's World and our notebook

Science-Botany

Greek-Code Cracker

Edited by Kfamily
forgot some literature

Here is Sweet Pea's Line up:

Math: RS Geometry alternate days with Hands on Geometry and when that is finished Video Text Algebra. She will also continue with Singapore, but just do a few pages each day.

Classical Writing Diogenes Maxim and Intermediate Poetry for LA

Analytical Grammar for grammar

Apologia General for Science

All About Spelling-should finish this year, then will do Megawords

Lively Latin 2

Mind Benders/Critical Thinking from Critical Thinking Press

Bible Study Guide for All Ages for Bible

Artistic Pursuits for Art

TOG year 4 or 1 depending on how fast we are moving. That will cover history, worldview, fine arts, literature and mapping.

Heather

Mine for the fall:

Math

CLE 7, and when finished, move into 8

Life of Fred Decimals & Percents, moving into Pre-Algebra

Language Arts

MCT for Vocab, Grammar, Writing, & Poetry

CLE Language Arts

CLE Reading

(these are ALL not done every day!)

Latin

Latin for the New Millennium 1

Latin Prep 3 (when finished with LNM)

Literature

Lightning Lit 8

History

TOG Year 3

Science

Apologia General with lab (outside class)

Logic

Fallacy Detective & Critical Thinking Book 1

Other

Violin Lessons

Symphony

Art Class

Sailing

Lacrosse

Drama

OOOHHHH!!! This is beautiful. How did you make it? I want one...covet...covet...covet....

~~Faithe

:iagree: My ds will be 7th next fall. Here's our 95% finalized schedule:

Latin Alive book 1

Math: Algebra with Lof & Dolciani

Finish CW Homer & possibly Lively Art of Writing

History: Guerber Ren & Reform, George Washington's World, & Abraham Lincoln's World

Religion: New Testament

Lit: LL LoTR

Science: Earth Science and Hakim's Story of Science

Logic: Finish Art of Argument

Memory work: Living Memory

Art appreciation & projects (undecided)

Music appreciation & trumpet

OOOHHHH!!! This is beautiful. How did you make it? I want one...covet...covet...covet....

~~Faithe

:iagree: I was just going to post about this!!

This is what we are doing now.

Math: Lial's Basic College Math

Reading: Will soon begin Lightning Lit7 or CLE 6

Spelling: Spelling Through Morphographs, Megawords and Daily Copywork/Dictation

Grammar: Junior Analytical Grammer and Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing

WWE 3: For narration skills

Writing: WriteShop; Bravewriter class

History: SOTW 2, Famous Men of Middle Ages, Oak Meadow, Teaching Company DVDs

Science: Supercharged Science, Exploration Education, Thames and Konos Physiks Workshop

Spanish: Mi Vida Loca, then on to Destinos

Our 7th grade plans:

Finish Singapore 6, LOF fractions/decimals

Latin - Cambridge through co-op, Latin Prep at home

Greek - Elementary Greek II, through co-op

Ancient History/literature - my own plan, whatever that will be

CW Diogenes Maxim + he's writing various sci-fi and fantasy stories

Hopefully we'll read the Iliad.

Fine Arts - humanities in co-op, composer/artist study through Harmony Fine Arts.

Rose, what are you using to teach html?

Mostly Google.

He's the type of kid who is good at teaching himself things but rarely is motivated to do so. During his "HTML hour" I have him sit at the computer in the family room so I can make sure he's working on his website. He's teaching it to himself, though, using whatever resources he can drum up himself.

This is my current 7th grader's schedule:

Math - LOF Pre-Algebra

Writing - One Year Adventure Novel

Vocab - Vocabulary from Classical Roots (which I hate, btw)

Literature - Currently reading Pride and Prejudice

Penmanship - Spencerian Penmanship

History - We were using SOTW, but we are beginning History Odyssey

Science - Apologia General Science

French - Rosetta Stone

Health - Facing the Facts

Piano - Weekly lessons, daily practice

Art - dd is a natural artist, but we will soon work on Artistic Pursuits

PE - soccer, Wii Fit Plus

This is both my current 7th grader's lineup and my plan for my current 6th grader next year. ;)

Math: Saxon 87

Latin: This Year - Oxford Latin Book 1

Next Year - Lively Latin Book 1

Greek: This Year only: Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek Level 3

English: This Year: Rod & Staff 5, Pentime Penmanship 7, Vocabulary for Life CD-Rom

Next Year: Rod & Staff 5, Pentime Penmanship 7, Calvert Spelling & Vocabulary CD-Rom

History: History Odyssey Early Modern Level 2 (I separated the children's history this year)

Science: Apologia General Science

Circle Time at Breakfast: Memory work, art & music appreciation

Here's our seventh grade plan.

picture.php?albumid=343&pictureid=1524

Dragons, could I just jump in here and ask how you do science once a week? This is such a new concept to me, doing science or history only once a week, and yet it really does free up the schedule when you're doing so many other things all morning. How exactly do you do that? Anyone else who does it is welcome to chime in too. :)

Dragons, could I just jump in here and ask how you do science once a week? This is such a new concept to me, doing science or history only once a week, and yet it really does free up the schedule when you're doing so many other things all morning. How exactly do you do that? Anyone else who does it is welcome to chime in too. :)

Actually, looking at that schedule makes me ask specfically - how do you get through CPO Life Science in only one day a week? Okay, I do see it's a 3-hour chunk, maybe that answers it a lot.

We're doing a chapter every two weeks - reading the text and doing the section reviews one week, and doing the assessment the next week. If there's 3 sections rather than two, the third section is usually the second week. I also have them do 2-4 of the supplementary Skill Sheets from the CPO website. Then at the end of the second week, there's a 1 1/2 hour lab.

How are you breaking it up?

We do it for three hours on that one day. 12yo reads a chapter of the text, does the written exercises, then works on an "investigation" while I check his answers. The reading takes about an hour. We discuss during and after the investigation. If I want him to read one of the "literary picks" CPO schedules, he does that during this three hour period too.

So far we have skipped the kind of labs that require him to observe and record data every day (sprouts, brine shrimp). We happen to have done almost identical labs a couple of years ago in an ecology course. If we hadn't, I'd have him observe and record as part of setting up his schoolday or putting away his schoolday, ie, when he files papers or when he finds his books. Those sort of recordings only take a few minutes.

There are thankfully investigations in the CPO TM that can be done in one period a week. It's written for schools, and school class periods in our state are thirty-eight minutes long, five days a week. That's just a bit over three hours. We don't have to deal with forming into groups to do experiments; we just hand parts of labs over to eager younger siblings sitting nearby. So CPO science fits right in to that time frame.

I'm not sure it frees up our time, since our afternoon blocks are soooo long. But I feel that the kids are more likely to store the info in their long term memories if they won't be recalling it for a whole week. I also feel that it makes the mind stronger to focus on one task for three hours than to switch tasks all day long.

Math: Chalkdust Pre-Algebra

English: Lightning Lit 7, IEW Medieval Writing, VFCR, AG (season 2)

History: The Medieval and Early Modern World (Oxford series)

Science: CPO Life

Religion: Faith and Life

Art: Artistic Pursuit Jr Hi, Bk 1

Music: Private piano, homeschool band (sax)

PE: Basketball, homeschool PE classes

Spanish: Getting Started with Spanish

Louise

How are you breaking it up?

I answered most of this in the other post, but I also wanted to say we don't have a chapters-per-month goal. We're moving at our own pace and so far it is varying wildly depending on how much the 7th grader already knows about a topic, how challenging the investigation is. Our core is just the textbook readings and investigations.

7th grade:

Math - online class, finish Singapore Primary Mathematics

Latin - online class

Greek - online class

French - First Start French (finish I and perhaps begin II)

English - Magic Lens I / 4Practice I

Science - Oak Meadow, finish Environmental Science

History - online class, finish History Odyssey Modern 2

Geography/Art - online class, continue Mapping the World with Art

Literature - Excellence in Literature 2

Religion - online class

I'm still figuring out next year for my youngest.

plans for 7th so far

English

either OM English 6 or Essay Apprentice, probably Essay Apprentice because it's cheaper and it looks very good

I love IEW, but it doesn't work for my youngest.

SL Core 6 readers, but probably just a selection of them since this dd is dyslexic and doesn't read quickly

History

either OM6 or SL Core 6, both cover ancients and middle ages,

Probably SL6 because I already own it, but I really don't want to do SOTW again. Once was enough for me.

Science

Prentice Hall Science Explorer because I already own it and it works for my dd

Math

combination of Keys to Fractions, Decimals, Percents, Algebra and Lial's Basic College Mathematics

Right now she does 5 minutes in one book and then 25 minutes in a different book each day, so that she works out of each book 2x/week, several days apart. Next year I plan to make it either 5 minutes and 30 minutes or 10 minutes and 25 minutes.

Math--Singapore; Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals/percents

French--Learnables Level 2

Grammar--Growing with Grammar

Spelling--Megawords

Writing--WWE 3 and 4

Literature--Lightning Literature

Geography--Trail Guide to World Geography

Science--The Elements, Carbon Chemistry

Logic--Orbiting with Logic

Music is done through a co-op; PE is just outside play; and she is in Girl Scouts.

DD is in 7th grade this year. We are doing:

Math--Rod and Staff 8 (we add in other math, but I realized a few months into this school year that she really needed the gentle approach, constant review, and clear explanations in Rod and Staff)

Science--Runkles Physical Geography and Handbook of Nature Study

Foreign Language--Latin I Henle with RCA--love, love, love this!

L/A--Nancy Wilson's Our Mother Tongue for grammar, Lively Art of Writing and Elements of Style for Writing, Painless Poetry (don't know that this is painless, but it's what we have), Vocabulary Coach free online, narration and dictation. I also added in a worksheet that covers literary terms.

History/Lit/Bible--Core 5 from Sonlight (working to finish this, talk about a long haul, LOL, but she's learning a lot and enjoys it), starting Classical Mythology (a one semester class) this Spring with Lukeion Project. Once she finishes Core 5, we'll probably just add in light history on audio or possibly Lukeion history workshops and free Bible reading in the morning.

Art--it never gets done anymore. :001_huh: We have a lot of resources. I decided yesterday that this week, after Latin, math and music practice get done, we're spending the rest of our days on art.

Artist and Composer Study--A picture on our kitchen wall changes every few weeks or month, and we listen to lots of classical music but I need to make an effort to focus on one composer at a time.

Other--We do the SAT question of the day usually. Also, outside classes are violin, piano and dance~she dances about a dozen hours a week this year.

Here's 7th grade this year:

Bible: Character trait study as a family

History: Kingfisher spine, reading historical fiction

Science: Rainbow Year 1

Math: Glencoe Pre-Algebra 8th grade book

Literature: CLE Reading 7 and novels for book club and history

Grammar: BJU, just added in diagramming and practice sheets from CLE

Writing: Jump In and a local writing class by a retired teacher

Critical Thinking: Orbiting with Logic, Think A Minutes, Mind Benders, Red Herring Mysteries

Artist and Composer Studies

Co-Op: various topics