Menu

Sigh* Ignore my post below. Are Americans hated in other countries?

Whaddya mean WE, you fush n chup eater :lol::lol::lol:

Actually NZ would be on my top 5 list of alternative places to live. Especially on account of better home birth services. I think I could manage a small vowel shift to live in such a beautiful place.

Edited by Hotdrink

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't laugh, but I adjust my posts here to make them look easier for the majority to read, using -or instead of -our and -ize instead of -ise. I try to remember to use the American words, eg diaper for nappy, although I must confess I still find it hard to remember the words for different school years (took me a while to realize that high school over there starts in grade 9!).

I never do. It's good for them to see the PROPER way to write. :D We are superior in spelling as well as humour, healthcare, guns and politics.

Clearly Australians have better manners than New Zealanders. I've even taken to translating temperatures from C to F!

;)

Rosie

Oi watch it you lot! I've got plans to be Aussie soon and then you will have to lay off the Kiwi jokes now won't ya. Although I could submit that our vowels are more proper than your vowels. Either way, I have no plans to loose my vowels :D

You won't catch me calling a pool a pewl!

Clearly Australians have better manners than New Zealanders. I've even taken to translating temperatures from C to F!

;)

Rosie

Good point! I forgot that we are also superior in measurements, paper size, video format, electrical voltage, and driver side in the car. I'm sure to have missed something, it's difficult to remember all the details when a country is superior as my TWO countries :tongue_smilie:

It deal with the perception of Americans in Europe and Anti-Americanism.

It's a very fun, witty, and sweet movie. Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109219/

Here's a trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi4223140121/

Also, here's a great book on the same topic: http://www.amazon.com/Reconstructing-America-Symbol-Modern-Thought/dp/0300084536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263001585&sr=8-1

That movie looks fabulous!

a

Apparently, me, my dh and our other moderate and liberal military members and their wife friends are figments of my imagination. I really thought calling my views "outside the mainstream" is beyond the pale. How does not sharing the opinion of the vast majority of the 50% (you said around fifty percent, right) who think gays should not be allowed to serve in the military make me outside of the mainstream?

This discussion has probably gone as far as it can but some things must be answered.

The numbers in the poll, of active duty respondents to the question, asking "Do you think openly homosexual people should be allowed to serve in the military?" are:

Yes 31.1%

No 57.4%

Don't Know no answer 11.5%

Now you are in 31% category. Now add your oft stated views during the last election, and yes the military voted overwhelmingly against the positions you supported, and it does put you "outside the mainstream." There is nothing to fear about that, on many issues I am too, but it is pretty much a fact.

Nobody has ever said that there are no liberal military members, if you believe that please quote whoever said it. Nobody ever said that they are a figment of your imagination, again I would ask for a quote. What was said is that you are outside the military mainstream that I think is fairly obvious.

Yet people in my (rather posh) neighborhood in India routinely discriminate in this fashion against maids, drivers, etc. It just boggles the mind!

My ex was from India, and his GM was a widowed young, and had no son/DIL to care for her. The family would take in a poor 7 year old who would cook and clean for GM until she was 16 or so, in exchange for food and a place to sleep. When she was married at 16, they would give a dowry.

Every single on of these little girls had the same name, and it translates to "Dirty".

My ex was appalled (he was raised here), but I just wanted to point out it is not just the posh.

That movie looks fabulous!

a

:) I think my favorite line from that movie is when the American guy says to the Spanish girl, "You know how at parties everybody always talks about marketing?" and she's like, "No. In fact I've never heard anybody at a party talk about marketing." hehe

Apparently, me, my dh and our other moderate and liberal military members and their wife friends are figments of my imagination. I really thought calling my views "outside the mainstream" is beyond the pale. How does not sharing the opinion of the vast majority of the 50% (you said around fifty percent, right) who think gays should not be allowed to serve in the military make me outside of the mainstream?

While this board is a pretty even mix of liberal and conservative, at least the ones that post a lot, the general military population is more conservative as a group. They vote that way too.

I think what someone (Jumped in the Deep End First?) is trying to say is that when you speak with authority from a military perspective, which you often do, it reflects your liberal views as representative of those of the larger military/dependent community. And that would not be accurate. Yes, you do have every right to speak out as a military dependent and to bring those anecdotal events into the conversation here. But, as you've said, the military is not a monolithic community -- and as you've no doubt seen IRL, liberal views tend to be in the minority in the general military/dependent population.

I, for one, have been amazed over the years just how conservative many of our younger military members and spouses truly are. Perhaps they are reluctant to share this with you knowing what your views are ... here and IRL.

:)

For OP, this has veered way off your original post, but it has raised a variety of perspectives. :001_smile:

:rofl: Are you serious? That's the funniest thing I've heard all week!

:D

Rosie

Most of the people I know say that if they had to leave the US they'd either go to Australia or New Zealand. Both places are, in the circles I travel ;) , highly romanticized. All Australians are tough non-whiners, that party hard and to whom courtesy comes naturally. New Zealanders are only different in that they're considered less crazy (crazy is said in a good way, crazy/fun, iykwIm) :lol: Of course, perusing this thread makes you all look insane :p Not really (please don't sic a croc on me)

I'm pretty sure my husband would dissolve if ever given the opportunity to ride his bike where Mad Max once drove. Except that everyone knows your waters are seething with long tooth beasts just waiting to feed on human flesh and your wilderness is something akin to "Where the Wild Things Are" dh would move there in a heart beat.

Edited by lionfamily1999

:) I think my favorite line from that movie is when the American guy says to the Spanish girl, "You know how at parties everybody always talks about marketing?" and she's like, "No. In fact I've never heard anybody at a party talk about marketing." hehe

Hummmm, I've never heard anyone talk about marketing at a party.

And his movie Metropolitan was better, :).

:smilielol5: Oh, there are no words...

Actually, NZers are crazier. They're the mad bunch who invented bungee jumping!\

Rosie

At least the people I know think highly of you guys. I was a little hurt to find that Australians did not hold us in the same esteem. I mean, we all know that you're all croc wrestlin' sheep herdin' long knife carrying motorcycle ridin' fighters hoping to control the country's petrol reserves and we love and respect you for it! :lol:

Our Dutch friends say that most of their country believes that Americans are like "people in Washington, DC, or Los Angeles."

We had a friend visit from overseas when we lived in an out-of-the-way place. Dfriend was a tad surprised not to see homeless people sleeping in the doorways and park benches....:001_huh:....that's what they see on the news. That and action/adventure movies. Great.

Most of the people I know say that if they had to leave the US they'd either go to Australia or New Zealand. Both places are, in the circles I travel ;) , highly romanticized. All Australians are tough non-whiners, that party hard and to whom courtesy comes naturally. New Zealanders are only different in that they're considered less crazy (crazy is said in a good way, crazy/fun, iykwIm) :lol: Of course, perusing this thread makes you all look insane :p Not really (please don't sic a croc on me)

I'm pretty sure my husband would dissolve if ever given the opportunity to ride his bike where Mad Max once drove. Except that everyone knows your waters are seething with long tooth beasts just waiting to feed on human flesh and your wilderness is something akin to "Where the Wild Things Are" dh would move there in a heart beat.

Actually my SIL and I were having this conversation last night. Both of us said we would move to Australia if we could afford it, but the HUGE spiders will make us stay in our freezing cold part of the world.

When I was younger, and not speaking to people from all over the world online I thought all Americans were morons. All of my friends that travelled the states came back with stories of the idiots they spoke to that honestly believed we lived in igloos and used dog sleds etc. The band director in high school came back after their tour laughing about how the man who worked at a service station within eye sight of the border crossing did not understand where Alberta was. All I knew was those stories and what I saw on the news etc. I thought Americans were idiots, bloodthirsty and constantly in search of world domination.

Since I started spending time online, my views have changed for sure. Now I know Americans are not all idiots or bloodthirsty...as for world domination, well the jury is still out on that one :tongue_smilie:;)

Hummmm, I've never heard anyone talk about marketing at a party.

And his movie Metropolitan was better, :).

Never saw Metropolitan. I liked Barcelona well enough, although I don't know how realistic it really was. I don't know, I just can't see Spanish girls giving the time of day to a dorky guy like that, especially since he didn't dance. ;) But what do I know? My family left the Old Country awhile ago now. :)

Many many moons ago when I used to be single and I had the freedom to actually stop and chat the tourists up I used to ask them what they thought about the US before they came and what they thought now that they were here. A lot of the German tourists used to tell me that they thought it was like the Wild West before they came. They thought there would be Indians running around everywhere or something like that. hehe The Germans used to tell me almost unanimously that their favorite thing about being here (besides the beach, drinking and the girls) was driving. They said that it was crazy and that we don't follow any rules at all and you can do whatever you want and nobody cares. hehe They said it was very liberating. That was years ago now before everybody had a cell phone. I can only imagine what the Germans think now with people texting, watching tv, or going on their laptops while driving. :eek:

Edited by Ibbygirl

Actually my SIL and I were having this conversation last night. Both of us said we would move to Australia if we could afford it, but the HUGE spiders will make us stay in our freezing cold part of the world.

From a Canadian, this I can understand. But from folks from the US I just can't work out where after trumpeting their constitution and right to bear arms and healthcare issues they would want to come to a country with UHC and no right to bear arms (among other issues we appear to have with regards "lack of freedom") I sometimes wonder if this board gives me a rather warped view of the average American.

Her nutshell version is "they tend to love Americans, but don't generally like American gvt"

This is what I have heard also. I have also heard that some countries think we are largely immoral, but if all other cultures see is our tv then I could certainly understand both sentiments.

A lot of the German tourists used to tell me that they thought it was like the Wild West before they came. They thought there would be Indians running around everywhere or something like that. hehe

Growing up between two countries (Japan and the U.S.), I would get so frustrated. The Japanese all thought that we lived in a Western. And the Americans all thought that we lived in a Samurai show in Japan.

And then later when people updated their views from watching the movies, everyone in Japan thought that American women were all floozies with loose morals, the men all gun-toting gang bangers and the kids all Macaulay Culkin clones. And the Americans all that that the Japanese were math crazy, sake drinking yakuza.

Movies can get in the way of really understanding people.

I sometimes wonder if this board gives me a rather warped view of the average American.

This board gives me a rather warped view of the average American.... and I used to be one a couple of decades ago. :001_unsure:

From a Canadian, this I can understand. But from folks from the US I just can't work out where after trumpeting their constitution and right to bear arms and healthcare issues they would want to come to a country with UHC and no right to bear arms (among other issues we appear to have with regards "lack of freedom") I sometimes wonder if this board gives me a rather warped view of the average American.

Lol, I KWYM. I have wondered that too. My American friends IRL are not Christian and not conservative, and this board gives me a very different perspective.

However, I have also had a sterotype corrected and that is of the "lazy English " speaking American culture...as in, I didn't realise such a thing as sentence diagramming existed...or that people actually took so much time to learn the art of writing in such depth during school years. Things like that aren't taught so explicitly in Australia. Grammer is taught...but I never knew so much grammar existed until I worked through a year of Rod and Staff. At school here they teach writing differently...I guess in a more integrated way rather than so directly. No such thing as 5 paragraph essays or even separate writing curricula, really. These things and much else I have learned through American authors (such as SWB) and American people such as here on these boards. In other words I have actually been surprised at the high level of academic rigour that is maintained in at least some circles in American culture (I realise the general masses may not get such an education). Australia tends to align itself more with the British and education just has a different flavour. So, I certainly have a lot of respect for an aspect of the American culture I had never been exposed to until I started homeschooling.

Growing up between two countries (Japan and the U.S.), I would get so frustrated. The Japanese all thought that we lived in a Western. And the Americans all thought that we lived in a Samurai show in Japan.

And then later when people updated their views from watching the movies, everyone in Japan thought that American women were all floozies with loose morals, the men all gun-toting gang bangers and the kids all Macaulay Culkin clones. And the Americans all that that the Japanese were math crazy, sake drinking yakuza.

Movies can get in the way of really understanding people.

lol I'm starting to think that foreigners watch too much t.v. ;) :D I too always imaginged the Japanese to be very quiet,respectful, traditional etc. etc. only recently have I heard stories from people who've been to Japan, lived there or have dated some Japanese guys, that apparently they're quite freaky. :eek: I recently learned what a chikan was and I'm still trying to somehow make all this new information fit into my own idea of the Japanese. hehe One thing I do know for certain, is that Japan has some kick-butt guitar shops. I'd love to go over there for a shopping spree at least. I'd just have to avoid the metro. ;)

However, I have also had a sterotype corrected and that is of the "lazy English " speaking American culture...as in, I didn't realise such a thing as sentence diagramming existed...or that people actually took so much time to learn the art of writing in such depth during school years. Things like that aren't taught so explicitly in Australia. Grammer is taught...but I never knew so much grammar existed until I worked through a year of Rod and Staff. At school here they teach writing differently...I guess in a more integrated way rather than so directly. No such thing as 5 paragraph essays or even separate writing curricula, really. These things and much else I have learned through American authors (such as SWB) and American people such as here on these boards. In other words I have actually been surprised at the high level of academic rigour that is maintained in at least some circles in American culture (I realise the general masses may not get such an education). Australia tends to align itself more with the British and education just has a different flavour. So, I certainly have a lot of respect for an aspect of the American culture I had never been exposed to until I started homeschooling.

Yes I have found the same Peela, in NZ you are not taught that either. I've often heard US education derided as less academically rigorous than our countries and I have to say from what I've learnt about what US kids learn at school, AND what I've learnt from highschool kids I've spoken to here, and looking in texts from various countries, I think it's a load of crapola. The higher levels of education in Victoria at least are laughable. The only way I'd consider it academically worthwhile sending J back to school was if we could afford to send him to an IB school, and we can't. If he wants to go back at any point he can, but it will be to an inferior education (that has the benefit of an easy path to Uni)

Lol, I KWYM. I have wondered that too. My American friends IRL are not Christian and not conservative, and this board gives me a very different perspective.

That is because, by and large, none of those things are still taught in the American school system. It is us whacky homeschoolers who have decided to push schooling back to the years between 1900-1959 so that our kids can get a decent education.

Except science. We're all about modern science. Some of us, anyway.

a

That is because, by and large, none of those things are still taught in the American school system. It is us whacky homeschoolers who have decided to push schooling back to the years between 1900-1959 so that our kids can get a decent education.

Thanks Asta :) I'd wondered whether it was just homeschoolers or all American kids. I guessed wrong.

The Germans used to tell me almost unanimously that their favorite thing about being here (besides the beach, drinking and the girls) was driving. They said that it was crazy and that we don't follow any rules at all and you can do whatever you want and nobody cares. hehe They said it was very liberating.

I never got used to people overtaking on both sides on freeways in California. Watching two cars sail past me on either side as I was trapped in the middle lane, and then both try to enter my lane at the same time in front of me.......

In Britain, unless the traffic is moving in very slow queues, people only ever overtake by using the 'faster' lanes. Anything else is highly illegal and.... well.... just not done.

Laura

I never got used to people overtaking on both sides on freeways in California. Watching two cars sail past me on either side as I was trapped in the middle lane, and then both try to enter my lane at the same time in front of me.......

In Britain, unless the traffic is moving in very slow queues, people only ever overtake by using the 'faster' lanes. Anything else is highly illegal and.... well.... just not done.

Laura

Come to Eastern Europe, we can turn a 2 lane road into 5 and pass cars against traffic (and if you have the bigger car expect the guy in his lane to move). We can drive on sidewalks and park on round-abouts. I have seen people drive against traffic on divided highways and always remember that mass makes right so those pedestrians better get out of the way! Remember traffic lights are merely for decoration.

/QUOTE]

Never drive in India. :)

Come to Eastern Europe, we can turn a 2 lane road into 5 and pass cars against traffic (and if you have the bigger car expect the guy in his lane to move). We can drive on sidewalks and park on round-abouts. I have seen people drive against traffic on divided highways and always remember that mass makes right so those pedestrians better get out of the way! Remember traffic lights are merely for decoration.

This is simple physics - which they obviously don't teach in school anymore. Otherwise all those people walking down the middle of the aisle in the parking lot would move their fannies a little faster!!!!

/QUOTE]

Never drive in India. :)

Or Haiti. That is the only spot on the globe where my world traveling father was actually a bit worried, while in a car. Not even the numerous gun shots at night phased him.

I have this foggy notion that nobody likes Americans and that everyone thinks Americans are stupid and lazy. I really dont know why I think this, so I thought it would be nice to know what others think.

You shouldn't concern yourself overly much with the opinions of non-Americans.

America is the great mirror. We're whatever everyone else needs us to be...

We're the great imperialist aggressor if they need to justify their aggressive, religion based expansionist ideology.

We're a bunch of puritanical, bible toting, gun clinging, racist rednecks if they need to justify their post-religious cultural nihilism.

We're sexual deviants out to destroy the cultural's of natives if they need to justify the oppession of women and gays.

We're the promised land of financial and personal freedom if they need to justify their flight from authoritarian, oppressive homelands.

We're the hyper-competitive promoters of social injustice if they need a foil for their expansion of authoritarian social democracy.

We're the last great desperate hope for those subject to genocide.

We're the slack, lazy fallen empire to those that need to justify their desire to financially, religiously, culturally dominate.

Sooooo, we are everything..........And their opinions shift like beach sand under the feet.........as they need us to be something different.

Some of their needs, dreams, and criticisms are rational, a great many are not. As an American, its your job to figure out the difference, consider, and act accordingly. :001_smile:

. But from folks from the US I just can't work out where after trumpeting their constitution and right to bear arms and healthcare issues they would want to come to a country with UHC and no right to bear arms (among other issues we appear to have with regards "lack of freedom")

because when you ask an American "if you HAD to leave the US" the understood reasoning is that you are asking about a time [that might be coming] when the Constitution, our rights, and the representative republic have been DESTROYED.

In that case, there would be nothing to lose.

oh-- and remember that when y'all look at foreign aid $$, the US has quite a hefty amount of personal giving to private charities: we don't rely on the gvt to disperse all our charitable funds for us. ;)

You shouldn't concern yourself overly much with the opinions of non-Americans.

America is the great mirror. We're whatever everyone else needs us to be...

We're the great imperialist aggressor if they need to justify their aggressive, religion based expansionist ideology.

We're a bunch of puritanical, bible toting, gun clinging, racist rednecks if they need to justify their post-religious cultural nihilism.

We're sexual deviants out to destroy the cultural's of natives if they need to justify the oppession of women and gays.

We're the promised land of financial and personal freedom if they need to justify their flight from authoritarian, oppressive homelands.

We're the hyper-competitive promoters of social injustice if they need a foil for their expansion of authoritarian social democracy.

We're the last great desperate hope for those subject to genocide.

We're the slack, lazy fallen empire to those that need to justify their desire to financially, religiously, culturally dominate.

Sooooo, we are everything..........And their opinions shift like beach sand under the feet.........as they need us to be something different.

Some of their needs, dreams, and criticisms are rational, a great many are not. As an American, its your job to figure out the difference, consider, and act accordingly. :001_smile:

:hurray::hurray::hurray::iagree: Awesome post!! So very true. No need to go any further. God bless America!!!!!!!!!! :D