Menu

Ability vs Disobedience

SquirrellyMama

How can you tell if a child is really struggling or if they are just being disobedient? My ds is 6 born in March 2003. Would he have been put in K at the beginning of the year or 1st grade? He's wiggly, unfocused and definitly on the hyper side. Was I wrong in putting him in 1st grade material? He does well with math. That isn't a problem. He has been great with FLL. He'll sit and listen to history and science reading and answer questions. Phonics on the other hand leads us to fighting, tears, blow ups and just plain hard feelings for each other.

I am using Saxon phonics 1. It started out fine but now we are definitly struggling but I'm not sure if it is a real struggle or not. I've changed the program so it isn't quite so dry and boring and it doesn't take us long to get through a lesson.

I was planning on using Explode the Code next year if things don't improve. I don't know if I should continue with Saxon or do something else. If I can't buy anymore curriculum for this year what could I do?

Or how can I tell if I need to continue on with what we are doing?

I am so frustrated! Kelly

Your son would have been in first grade had he gone to school. He was 6 1/2 when the school year started. Had you put him in K, he'd have turned 7 before K was over!

Phonics can be hard for boys. If it's not working out for him right now, I'd try switching programs. You don't want him to start hating reading. You could look at your library for phonics programs. Ours carries Phonics Pathways, OPGTTR, Alpha-Phonics, 100 EZ Lessons, etc. I am using PP with my son. I get it for 6 weeks on my teacher card and renew it. Then, when my renewal is almost up, I reserve a different copy so that I can return the one I have out when I pick up the new copy. :D

Also, ETC books are not that expensive. you could get the first 3 for around $20, including shipping, from Rainbow Resource.

Just take it slowly. No one will be harmed if your son isn't a fluent reader in first grade.

Tara

Agreeing with Tara. Some boys just take longer with phonics. And wiggly, squirmy, unfocused, etc are definitely common traits for youngsters, especially young boys.

Try switching programs (look in your library or even thrift store) or try going slower and/or mix up with graded readers (depending on where your son is in phonics, Bob books are a good choice). And, hardest of all, just have patience. It'll come.

Your son would have been in first grade had he gone to school. He was 6 1/2 when the school year started. Had you put him in K, he'd have turned 7 before K was over!

That is what i was thinking also but I was told that they are keeping boys out of 1st grade longer around here and he would have been in K this year.

Try switching programs (look in your library or even thrift store) or try going slower and/or mix up with graded readers (depending on where your son is in phonics, Bob books are a good choice). And, hardest of all, just have patience. It'll come.

I have been using the graded readers instead of the Saxon readers. Neither of my kids who have used the program have liked the Saxon readers.

I try to have patience and I start out with lots of it but after he yells at me, storms out of the room, cries, refuses to work, etc... I lose it. After sending him to his room for awhile it usually gets better. I try to let him know it will go smoothly and quickly if he'll just do it the first time. If he really can't then he needs to let me know in a kinder way.

I've looked at PP before with my dd and didn't like it. Maybe he would like that better. I'll check it out from the library again. Should I start at the beginning or somewhere in the middle. We are on lesson 80 of Saxon.

Maybe I'll try an ETC book too.

Thanks! Kelly

That is what i was thinking also but I was told that they are keeping boys out of 1st grade longer around here and he would have been in K this year.

Yeah, I just posted a thread about this on the General forum. My mother-in-law teaches first grade in another state and she said that it's becoming standard practice to redshirt kids with birthdays after January. She really hates it.

Tara

Yes you need to change up your phonics stuff, try some new methods, etc. Yes, you have a discipline problem. The one is provoking the other. I'd change up your phonics and work to create a more positive atmosphere with materials he can succeed at. It doesn't matter a flying fig whether he would have been in K5 or 1st, only what he needs to learn next in order to learn to write and read. I'd pick materials ANY materials, that fit him RIGHT for that.

People who are using FLL in 1st (or earlier) have kids who are already reading or starting to read. I would make sure your basic phonics and math are getting done first and only do the other things (FLL, etc.) as gravy, later in the day.

It's normal to have some discipline problems, just because kids are kids. But if it's extreme, you have to ask whether it's the materials provoking the kids to frustration, or whether it's just them not wanting to cooperate. If he's generally compliant the rest of the day and for other things, it's probably the materials. There are lots of ways to teach reading. Have you looked at Happy Phonics? Have you looked at AAS (All About Spelling)? Either of those would be great for a wiggly boy. You need to make your sessions more active, more playful. Get him up and have him MOVING while he reads and does the work. He can play Mother May I while drilling flashcards. He can stand at the board and work instead of writing on paper. You can put his words to read on cards in pockets at the front of the room, have him stand at the back and run to the front to read them. You bend the method to fit him.

I've looked at PP before with my dd and didn't like it. Maybe he would like that better. I'll check it out from the library again. Should I start at the beginning or somewhere in the middle. We are on lesson 80 of Saxon.

I would go ahead and start back at the beginning. It will probably be easy for him, but it will be good to build his confidence. With PP with my Ker, I tell him ahead of time how much I want to do for the day. I try to keep it short for now so it's easier for him to focus. We also do it first which seems to help as well. I think his half page took 5 minutes this morning.

How can you tell if a child is really struggling or if they are just being disobedient? My ds is 6 born in March 2003. Would he have been put in K at the beginning of the year or 1st grade? He's wiggly, unfocused and definitly on the hyper side. Was I wrong in putting him in 1st grade material? He does well with math. That isn't a problem. He has been great with FLL. He'll sit and listen to history and science reading and answer questions. Phonics on the other hand leads us to fighting, tears, blow ups and just plain hard feelings for each other.

I am using Saxon phonics 1. It started out fine but now we are definitly struggling but I'm not sure if it is a real struggle or not. I've changed the program so it isn't quite so dry and boring and it doesn't take us long to get through a lesson.

I was planning on using Explode the Code next year if things don't improve. I don't know if I should continue with Saxon or do something else. If I can't buy anymore curriculum for this year what could I do?

Or how can I tell if I need to continue on with what we are doing?

I am so frustrated! Kelly

I haven't read through all the replies, so if I repeat something sorry. If he was in public school, he would have started kindergarten last year and be in first grade this year. That said some boys mature later than others.

My ds7 is doing 1st this year. He did K 2 years b/c he just wasn't ready for 1st grade and he was just not focused. Anyway, about the phonics, my ds did Saxon phonics in public school K and absolutely hated it. His teacher had so many issues over the phonics. He had been in Montessori before that and used CLP's Adventures in Phonics at home and no issues, but Saxon just brought out the beast in him and it was difficult. I had to help him finish what he wouldn't at school and it was taxing.

I would suggest putting away the Saxon phonics and shopping around a bit and then in a week or 2 pick it back up with whatever you choose. Every child is different. What worked for us was switching to MCP Phonics A and The Reading Lesson. I haven't used ETC, but have heard good things. I would really recommend buying a book of ETC and giving it a go after taking a week or two break from Saxon phonics.

OK, read through some of the replies. I agree with starting at the beginning. When my ds came home from public after graduating kindergarten. I gave it about 2 weeks before starting at the beginning of the Reading Lesson. Yes, the first part was easy; but that built his confidence up so much. It was good for him and me to have some successful reading and phonics before getting into the "learning" stage again with it.

HTH

Yes you need to change up your phonics stuff, try some new methods, etc. Yes, you have a discipline problem. The one is provoking the other. I'd change up your phonics and work to create a more positive atmosphere with materials he can succeed at. It doesn't matter a flying fig whether he would have been in K5 or 1st, only what he needs to learn next in order to learn to write and read. I'd pick materials ANY materials, that fit him RIGHT for that.

People who are using FLL in 1st (or earlier) have kids who are already reading or starting to read. I would make sure your basic phonics and math are getting done first and only do the other things (FLL, etc.) as gravy, later in the day.

He is starting to read. In fact he can read a book (level 1 beginning reader). He needs some help on the digraphs and combinations we haven't done yet but he is reading. That is why this is so frustrating. Trying to figure out if it is the materials or him. I am wondering if we have just gotten to the point where his brain cannot hold any more information and maybe it would be best to try something new as a review.

I can put FLL later in the day but I won't take it out since he really enjoys FLL. He's got a good memory and he's enjoyed memorizing definitions and poems.

I'm very thankful for the responses I've been getting. I'll look into the different programs but I think I've looked at most of them before. I know Saxon is very thorough but oh so dry.

Thanks all :001_smile:

Kelly

Ok, one more question. My husband has told me no more curriculum buying for this year. I know ETC isn't expensive but I still don't think I can convince him. He's the make due with what you have type. What else can I do?

So far we have

1. Click n Kids - my ds will sometimes cry when I make him do it. Other times he enjoys it. I'm not sure yet why the different reactions.

2. Tons of computer games like Reader Rabbit, JumpStart, etc... My ds enjoys these.

Would it be ok to take the rest of the year and have him do these and then pick up with ETC or AAS next year?

I could probably get ETC this year with my fun money.

If he's reading, could you just can the phonics for a while and just read and write? There are TONS of phonics games and activities on the internet. Maybe those would interest him while you are looking for another program.

What is the progaram like? What does he hate about it?

Oh, you just posted. Yes, computer games are great. Honestly, there are MANY ways children learn to read. Phonics intruction gives them the tools to decode words, but it's also fantastic to do activities that help kids make those connections on their own. Phonics is good, but I'm not one who thinks we need to beat kids over the head with it to produce strong readers.

Others have mentioned it in other posts, but www.starfall.com is a good reading site. Also, try reading...oh rats...Reading Magic by Mem Fox. I know she is the author, but I am not sure that's the title. :blush: I found it at the library. It's a wonderful little book about the incredible benefits of simply reading reading with our children, and has suggestions that are easy to follow.

Is he enthusiastic about writing?? Explode the Code was not a good match for #1DD because it's very printing-intensive. Her small-motor skills came later. On the other hand, it's been a perfect match for DS#1 and DD#2 who would spend the entire day making letters if they could. :) Just wanted to mention that. And definitely, whenever there is resistance to what we are doing (especially to the point of tears!) I re-evaluate what I am doing and try a different approach. It often just means they're simply not ready for whatever it is that's frustrating them.

My ds was born in Nov 03, and around here, he would have started K this year at almost 6.

However, we're using mostly 1st grade materials, with the exception of phonics. He's reading very well and almost fluently from BOB books and other easy readers, but any page with more than 2-3 lines overwhelmes him.

What has really worked well for us is keeping his readers very simple, asking him to read only 1 per day, and limiting his entire lesson to 10 minutes (a la Charlotte Mason-style). The short lessons keep him from becoming too tired and irritated, but allow him to make plenty of progress.

HTH!

I would absolutely drop the phonics program and focus on doing what he enjoys. Computer games, Between the Lions (if that is still on PBS) and simply old fashioned reading aloud are all you really need at the moment. As others have said, check your library, and search for internet phonics games and worksheets. Use a wipe-off board, if you have one, magnetic letters on the fridge, colored markers -- just have fun with it and keep it short.

I have a 6yo (April 2003) and I have been using SWR phonics for all my kids. We have the phonogram cards and today we did a hop. One kid will lay them out in a trail across the house and my younger to will hop along and say the sounds. We also hide them to be found or I just have him jump while working through them. I haven't done many of the SWR word lists with 6yo yet because he really does well with ETC. My older two never really got into workbooks but this guy actually like to write neatly.

BUT he has a hard time memorizing. Those FLL poems were so easy for my 2nd child and this guy just cannot remember them, and when he recites them he reverts into this odd babyish voice. I have decided memorizing and narration are going to be our focus the next few months.

It sounds to me from this description that your son is generally an obedient child. If you had posted that he wouldn't do any of his school work and he also rebelled when asked to brush his teeth, clean up toys, or other general things that by this age, most kids can do, then I might be inclined to explore the possibility that it could be character related. But from your description, he sounds like a normal, wiggly 6 yo boy who is struggling because he needs more time or he needs different materials. It's also possible he may have something else going on like a vision processing issue or dyslexia. I think your plan to work with him casually with what you have (lots of games etc...) while you decide what's going on & what materials might be best to approach him is a good one.

You might see if your library has, or can get through ILL, Reading Reflex. It's an orton-gillingham based approach that has a game-like quality to it (using letter tiles, similar to AAS), that might give you a good boost this year. It helped my kids. I especially appreciated the short evaluations it has that help you know where your child is struggling and what types of exercises would help him. Merry :-)

Go to the library. Our library has Hooked on Phonics, Phonics Pathways, all sorts of things. You can check them out as a teacher and renew for very long periods of time. Even just with regular checkout you could probably get them long enough to make do and not need to buy.

He is starting to read. In fact he can read a book (level 1 beginning reader). He needs some help on the digraphs and combinations we haven't done yet but he is reading. That is why this is so frustrating. Trying to figure out if it is the materials or him. I am wondering if we have just gotten to the point where his brain cannot hold any more information and maybe it would be best to try something new as a review.

I can put FLL later in the day but I won't take it out since he really enjoys FLL. He's got a good memory and he's enjoyed memorizing definitions and poems.

If he is reading then I would just give him a little breather. Try letting him read from beginning readers of his choice for a few weeks without a phonics program, perhaps? Maybe he is just overwhelmed and a little break might be all he needs. After a week or so you could introduce a new phonics instruction that he may enjoy and benefit more from. :)

Ok, one more question. My husband has told me no more curriculum buying for this year. I know ETC isn't expensive but I still don't think I can convince him. He's the make due with what you have type. What else can I do?

So far we have

1. Click n Kids - my ds will sometimes cry when I make him do it. Other times he enjoys it. I'm not sure yet why the different reactions.

2. Tons of computer games like Reader Rabbit, JumpStart, etc... My ds enjoys these.

Would it be ok to take the rest of the year and have him do these and then pick up with ETC or AAS next year?

I could probably get ETC this year with my fun money.

1. I don't know what that is. Sounds electronic. If so, ditch it if your child isn't loving it.

2. Computer GAMES might be educational, but they also promote that wiggliness and inattention that is driving you batty.

If 1 & 2 are both electronic, I think they don't count as schooling for a 6 yo. :) We had lots of the #2 games when my kids were at that stage, and they were fun and harmless, but we limited it to a few minutes a day. It didn't count as schooling.

Most importantly, NO, it is not OK to drop reading instruction for a 1st grader, IMHO. Only exception is if he has a diagnosed emotional or learning problem that precludes reading instruction. Just my opinion, but you did ask. ;) There are plenty of people who'd disagree with me.

*I* think learning to read is THE primary schooling goal from age 4 until the child reads well (3rd grade level ++) and at or above their age/grade level. Until that goal is met, nothing else (in schooling) is particularly important, IMHO.

Personally, I think you are OBLIGATED to provide your child with an education that teaches him to read at an age appropriate time and $$ is not an acceptable excuse (just like it wouldn't be an acceptable excuse to not feed him or keep him clean/warm/clothed). If you need to buy sth to do that, you should sell sth, get a paper route, whatever. But, if you can't do what you need to (must) do. . . then sth needs to change. That is why public school exists. . . to make it so $$ does not restrict a child's ability to learn. . . Again, just my opinion. . .

I love ETC. I loved 100 EZL. There are lots of good programs. ETC is very child-friendly and unstressful. It is also very good quality. I haven't used it alone for reading, but it just might work fine as a main program.

I'm very thankful for the responses I've been getting. I'll look into the different programs but I think I've looked at most of them before. I know Saxon is very thorough but oh so dry.

Thanks all :001_smile:

Kelly

Kelly,

It sounds developmental to me. Ruth Beechick states that if a child is stumbling over more than 5% of words (that is 5 in 100) then it is probably frustrating for them. I rarely have my ds work with more than 4 words at a time.

There are a lot of other fun things you can do. My ds makes words with playdoh, traces sand letter cards while saying their phonics sounds, take a stack of 3x5 cards, cut them in half and write out the alphabet 4 times, then play phonics go fish-only allowing him to say the sounds not the letter names, use a bingo card generator and make phonics bingo cards, using Scrabble pieces to spell words, or the much loved phonics I Spy where you give them the first letter sound, and have them find the item in the room or if you have look and finds books, pick out objects from the pictures and have him tell you what letter sounds it starts with. You can do one each day and just rotate them.

Most of these target phonics more than reading, but with a strong foundation he can take off in reading quickly.

Heather

I would keep going with the Saxon but supplement with some fun stuff. I love the suggestions in this thread and found many of them to be useful for my 7 year old.

One thing that both of my boys LOVE is Progressive Phonics. I used it to introduce new phonics to DS last fall rather than what my curriculum used. He loves the books and the fun presentation of phonics. I found that he retained the rule better whenever I used PP. It's free, so it may be worth a try!

I usually go by what I see outside of school time. My oldest just turned 5 this fall and has a tendency to be wiggly and unfocused. She often complains that she can't do something when she just doesn't want to so I go by what I see her doing in play. For example, I heard her reading books to her sister today while they were playing school so her complaints about reading will fall on deaf ears when we start back next week

Hey There:-)

Relax:-) My homeschooled brother wasn't reading until he was in third grade... and 8! (He's 32 now... with no problems that linger:-) His birthday was in Sept... so he was an early 3rd grader/young second grader. This was years ago... and my mom was more like a "Better Late Than Early" kinda mom. BUT, she diligently read high level material to him and was good at playing games with an educational bent. (She wasn't an "Unschooler")

Anyway, two months after he started reading, he was reading at or above grade level. (My mom used WRTR)

I'd say.. take a couple of months off of him reading... and concentrate on Math:-) Read Math books... (Living Books are great for this... There's a thread about Sir Cumference going on right now...)

Anyway, when you come back.. I really think that a set of Phonics... like from Writing Road to Reading... or Wanda Sanserri's (sp??) program. I just taught my son the cards until he started spelling words randomly to me... then I knew he could read if he chose. If you just try to stop stressing, realizing that he will read... you'll enjoy the process more. Now that I know he can read, I try to have him read each day to me. When we get to a word that he'd have to "guess" because there's a combination of letters that he can't decode... I read that... and then he goes on. In this way.. he doesn't just read low level books... and I see him becoming a good reader. I point to the words for him, in hopes that it won't be something he does. I figure that when I stop.. hopefully he'll be a mature enough reader to continue reading... without pointing:-) I also point to each punctuation, so he'll pause.... use an excited voice, phrase the sentence as a question... He learned about punctuation in a Shurley Grammar co-op and I think learning the punctuation before he started reading well... has really helped...

Anyway.. Enjoy... that's one of the beauties of homeschooling... Doing 3rd grade math... and early kindergarten reading... at the same time! And... talking about Science Eclipses.... reading about Romulus... instead of just studying your street!!

Carrie:-)

Most importantly, NO, it is not OK to drop reading instruction for a 1st grader, IMHO. Only exception is if he has a diagnosed emotional or learning problem that precludes reading instruction. Just my opinion, but you did ask. ;) There are plenty of people who'd disagree with me.

I'm not going to stop it completely. I am going to take a breather from Saxon because he isn't retaining things right now. He started off great but has hit a wall. We are going to review what we've learned so far with just reading together and games. I'll do that until he's up to speed on what he has already seen.

I do think money is an excuse especially when my husband has told me no. I might go with ETC after some review for a few weeks or so but I will probably only do the first 2 books for now because that's all the fun money I have at my disposal for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have appreciated them. I'm feeling better and will start with review today with our computer games, board games, card games, reading, reading, reading together :001_smile:

Kelly

Another free phonics program online (this one has activities/games):

http://www.catphonics.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/contents.htm

I bought a used copy of Reading Reflex and have liked it a lot; it has materials inside to make games and so forth. I found my copy on Homeschool Classifieds, but even new it's only $12 on Amazon (which also has used copies). I really like the way it deals with the more complicated aspects of reading, e.g. "oa"/"ow" and all that.

I have a son about your age. I think you need to keep him busy. Get lots of exercise -- mine gets really distracted and not so well behaved when the energy level is WAY too high. Run around the living room; do jumping jacks, whatever. Find a positive (i.e. not annoying/destructive) outlet before he finds one for himself. ;)

I have a son about your age. I think you need to keep him busy. Get lots of exercise -- mine gets really distracted and not so well behaved when the energy level is WAY too high. Run around the living room; do jumping jacks, whatever. Find a positive (i.e. not annoying/destructive) outlet before he finds one for himself. ;)

I try to keep him active while schooling. Sometimes we'll to karate kicks while doing phonics, jumping jacks, jumping on the trampoline, etc... It is really cold right now so there isn't as much outside time.

We'll back off a bit and continue reading a lot and playing games. I got some phonics books from the library lastnight to look through.

I'll start looking at new phonics programs for the fall. Maybe he'll have a breakthrough this summer. He's learning, I can see that. He isn't retaining like he did at the beginning. We all just had a particularly bad day yesterday and I think it all exploded during phonics time. Most of it was my fault because I need to keep my cool. I'll do better today.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

I just want to second the library option. Our local library carries the Hooked on Phonics, newer edition. We also own it. My DD used to cry daily with Click n Read, I have posted about that before. That child went on to do HOP, because she liked the tapes, in record time.

My other DD, same age has struggled more. I backed off but continued reinforcing basics with Bob books over the summer and gave her access to ETC. She just finished HOP level 1 and is continuing to make steady progress. They will learn. I was so worried that something was wrong, my other children are early readers. We even had her privately tested worried about LD's since they both have mild cerebral palsy. I also contacted the local school district and they said that if they know their letters and letter sounds then they are "on track" for first grade, I could feel free to call back and see where they needed to be at the beginning of second at the end of the year. :) Hang in there, it will happen.

www.thephonicspage.org has FREE phonics lessons that look very solid.

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading is another to see if your library has. It's black & white, and only has games sometimes (you could make up your own for lessons that don't), but my wiggly six-year old son who's younger than yours is doing well with it. It's short and straight to the point, so it doesn't take any more time than necessary. Sometimes my ds is sitting on my lap for OPG lessons, other times he's laying across the back of my shoulders looking down at the book (or in other weird, wiggly positions).

I'm finding that our problem isn't during the lesson itself which I keep short (10-15 minutes) but it is in the reading after the lesson. We don't always start right away but it goes about the same either way. He can answer my questions about what sound letter, combinations, blends, digraphs make but when it comes time to use it he melts down a lot.

Although I am finding that he's having trouble with some of our most recent combinations so I'll review for a while. I'm hoping the review will help him with using his knowledge.

I noticed that it took awhile for my DS to get the idea of blending the word together as a whole. He knew the rules but he couldn't translate that into the words. Then one day last fall something just clicked into place and he figured out the blending. It was interesting to watch all those rules he had been taught unfold right before my eyes!

Perhaps working on an easier reading level to build his confidence will be helpful? I went back a couple steps with DS to remind him that he is a good reader. It was nice that he could read a book without having to do a lot of decoding.

I'm finding that our problem isn't during the lesson itself which I keep short (10-15 minutes) but it is in the reading after the lesson. We don't always start right away but it goes about the same either way. He can answer my questions about what sound letter, combinations, blends, digraphs make but when it comes time to use it he melts down a lot.

Although I am finding that he's having trouble with some of our most recent combinations so I'll review for a while. I'm hoping the review will help him with using his knowledge.

I wish you well with your new plan for phonics. I agree that money is a reason to not go buying new curriculum especially if dh said no. It isn't life or death if he doesn't read fluently by the end of 1st grade. As long as he is making progress and you are keeping what he has been doing fresh, then you are doing great.

Sometimes stepping back is the best thing to do for both you and the child. Going from a stressful, frustrating phonics program straight into the next best thing might cause more stress. I think the idea to take a step back and do relaxing phonics that he can gain confidence with is great on your part.

I also think that each child is different and sometimes the computer games can help a lot. My oldest dd taught herself to read at 3 with Clifford's Phonics on the computer. Would it have counted as schooling? I honestly don't know but she learned to read by herself with it. Not all children learn the same and some learn better with electronics. Reader Rabbit is great as well. I think your plan to combine those fun things along with refreshing reading where he is confident is spot on. I also think I would consider it schooling.

Hope today is less frustrating for you.

It looks like you've found something he will like. :)

Are you doing other things for reading besides phonics instruction? Just wondering if a varied approach might be helpful. Have you tried easy books like The Foot Book and others that they essentially memorize? These are great, because even though they aren't "reading" (decoding), they are still seeing the print while they say the words and can start making connections on their own. These books are also great for building confidence and helping reading be fun rather than a chore. Even if all they do for a while is say the last word on the page because it's rhymes, it can still be helpful.

You can also try labeling things around the house. The labels would be fun to make together ... writing "chair" and getting all excited about figuring out which letters do teamwork to make that "ch" sound. :)

I do think phonics instruction is a necessary part of teaching children to read, but I'm a whole-language girl at heart. :001_wub:

It looks like you've found something he will like. :)

Are you doing other things for reading besides phonics instruction? Just wondering if a varied approach might be helpful. Have you tried easy books like The Foot Book and others that they essentially memorize? These are great, because even though they aren't "reading" (decoding), they are still seeing the print while they say the words and can start making connections on their own. These books are also great for building confidence and helping reading be fun rather than a chore. Even if all they do for a while is say the last word on the page because it's rhymes, it can still be helpful.

You can also try labeling things around the house. The labels would be fun to make together ... writing "chair" and getting all excited about figuring out which letters do teamwork to make that "ch" sound. :)

I do think phonics instruction is a necessary part of teaching children to read, but I'm a whole-language girl at heart. :001_wub:

We do read a lot of books and he loves to be read to. He did tell me once that he didn't want to learn to read because then I wouldn't read to him. That isn't true because I still read to my oldest and she can read well. I'm not sure that is the real problem though. When I had him a book to read he backs up, shakes his head, waves his arms and says "No, no, no, I can't do that". He did read a book by himself a couple weeks ago and he was so proud so I'm not sure what is happening. I really thought we'd turned a corner. He even tied his little sister to a chair so he could read it to her without her running away :lol:

I'll try this Progressive Phonics program as a way to review and build up his confidence.