Menu

" classic " for women's reading group.

This isn't a religious group. Other's always choose books from NY best seller list and there is always a long wait for them at teh library. and I'm too cheap to buy a book just for a book group.

We're a bunch of middle aged , wine drinking, moms. I'm thinking very non-curricula books like Lady Chatterly's Lover.

Any " classics" , that just means books that are good and might be at my library.

Thanks,

~Christine

If you have not talked about her work before, "Pride and Prejudice" would be the one I would start with.

"The Ladies' Auxiliary" by Tova Miris is a great book club read. It is a novel set in Memphis, TN, about a young widow who moves to the area after her husband's death, and her interactions with the Orthodox Jewish women's community that she joins there. It is outstanding and engaging.

"A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley is a modernization of "King Lear", set in a Midwestern farm town. "Moo", by the same author, is one of the funniest books I have ever read in my life.

"My Year of Meats" is one of my favorite novels ever. It could be construed as slightly political, however. It's about a half Japanese, half Swedish-American woman who works for a Japanese firm doing TV shows about red meat for viewing in Japan. That does not begin to do this book justice. It is one of the best books I have ever read.

All of these books are easy to read, well-written, and have food for thought and lots to talk about. I have been in a book group for many years, and read several of these with that group.

I was in a book group a few years ago. I am trying to get something started for this year but it is not off the ground yet.

We read all kinds of books, some had better participation than others of course.

The 'classics' we tried were:

Tale of Two Cities (only two of us finished it, oops)

Cannery Row (inspired the weirdest conversation of the year)

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (stretching 'classic' here, fun discussion)

I hope you and your friends have a great time.

One we read that gave lots of great fodder for discussion was The Sparrow. It is fantastic for a book club, imo. :thumbup1:

Others that were good for our book club:

The Shadow of the Wind (might have a bit of a wait at the library, so plan it for 2 meetings out)

The Book Thief

Middlesex

People of the Book

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Dracula

Most of these are not 'classics', nor are they the most current fiction, so you shouldn't have a problem finding them at the library.

A book that my book club loved was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A year of food life. It was great and even though most of the ladies are not into hard core seasonal eating, organics and so forth it encouraged all of us to look at how we eat. Very good book by Barbara Kingsolver. I also loved her Prodigal Summer which is excellent for a nature lover.

Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is an interesting read--deals with subjects not usually addressed in mid-Victorian novels (narrator is a young man who falls in love with a woman he thinks is a widow, but in fact she is in hiding from her drunken, abusive husband).

(I should mention, probably, that this is a book-to-movie club; we read a book, then watch a movie version of it. It has to be somewhat "classic", although that definition is kind of loose.)

The Jane Austen novels

To Kill A Mockingbird

A Christmas Carol

Jane Eyre

Frankenstein (I'd never read this, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it)

For some reason the Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan popped into my mind. I guess it is the idea of mom's getting together. I think Barbara Kingslover novels would be good - lots of things to discuss in them.

The Egoist by George Meredith might be a good counterpoint to a Austen novel. The Odd Women by George Gissing would be another. Both with literary merit.