Menu

20/20/20 reading challenge for 2010

As an alternate for the book a week reading challenge I offer the 20/20/20 challenge. I've almost completed the 999 challenge and have no desire to stretch for 100 books in 2010. Instead I offer this:

1. Read 20 books (minimum 2 books each from 10 authors/categories)

- for instance I want to read 2 books by Bradbury, 2 books by CS Lewis, 2 books about King Arthur, etc.

2. Read 20 books (10 books minimum from 2 additional categories)

- This will allow us to dig deeper into two subjects. One of mine will be writing, the other probably books on classical education or civilizations.

3. Read 20 additional books in any category.

- These can be added onto any category or a separate category.

In total you will read 60 books in the 2010. I've been thinking about this and for me it addresses some issues I had with 999.

- you can be more focused with your categories

- I found a few focused interests last year and being able to dig deeper into a subject will allow me time to absorb the information.

- This will allow me to add or not add the books I end up prereading for ds. While I do read many they aren't necessarily for my own self-ed, kwim.

I was thinking we could change the 999 reading challenge to this if there was enough interest.

Please post if you have any questions or comments.

Yes, this sounds more doable than the 999 or the read a book a week challenges. I like the idea of delving more deeply into an author or subject. Bradbury and writing will also be on my list in 2010.

So, yes, I like this one. Count me in. (Said with some anxiety.....)

It sounds good, but I am still a huge fan of the Book-a-week challenge. It was an uncomplicated goal for me to strive for. Some weeks, I didn't get to read any, other weeks, I fit in 2 or 3. For a gal who spent the last few years feeling like there just wasn't any time for me to read (my favorite pastime) I am so thankful this challenge was issued. I needed it.

- for instance I want to read 2 books by Bradbury, 2 books by CS Lewis, 2 books about King Arthur, etc.

- This will allow us to dig deeper into two subjects. One of mine will be writing, the other probably books on classical education or civilizations.

In total you will read 60 books in the 2010.

It sounds good, but I am still a huge fan of the Book-a-week challenge. It was an uncomplicated goal for me to strive for.

Hmmm both appealing ... I'm considering using the 20/20/20 guidelines, but backing out 8 books to make 52.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Karen

Count me in, Paula. My reading has been so all over the board that I would relish some focus right now. Thank you for taking the time to pull the idea together. Social group? Place for discussion? One frustration I experience currently is desiring to discuss what I am reading and no one to discuss it with. The cat now knows more about some topics than is good for him.:D

Count me in, Paula. My reading has been so all over the board that I would relish some focus right now. Thank you for taking the time to pull the idea together. Social group? Place for discussion? One frustration I experience currently is desiring to discuss what I am reading and no one to discuss it with. The cat now knows more about some topics than is good for him.:D

:lol:

My plants know a lot, too.

Interesting. :lurk5:

Do we choose our own categories? I didn't know about all those other challenges, so I don't know how you regularly do it.

Yes, you are free to categorize however you desire. I'm not super strict about sticking with mine anyway and may not decide them all at the first of the year. I need a more organic approach to my reading. If I chose them all up front I'll only rebel against myself and change them just because I can. :lol:

I hear you on the discussion. We have the 999 social group, which I plan to modify, for at least one outlet on discussion. I need to dust off the social group first, it hasn't been used in a while (blush).

Edited by elegantlion

I'm in. But I will categorize *after* the fact next year. This year there were some things I thought I'd like to read but put aside because I'd not left myself a "miscellaneous" category.

I hope 999 will be one thing I don't fail at this year.... so I will be reading quite a bit from now until the 11:59pm on the 31st!

I'm in. But I will categorize *after* the fact next year. This year there were some things I thought I'd like to read but put aside because I'd not left myself a "miscellaneous" category.

I hope 999 will be one thing I don't fail at this year.... so I will be reading quite a bit from now until the 11:59pm on the 31st!

You are so wise.

My goal is to finish "The Odyssey" before the end of the year. 5 1/2 chapters to go.

I'm in. I did the 999 challenge this year, although I won't have quite completed it. I've probably read the number of books, but I cheated at the end by just reading a lot of fiction. I liked being more intentional in my reading, although I also realized I need to leave room for rabbit trails during the year. I also liked that having the different categories forced me to expand my horizons a bit. I tend to read mostly fiction, but this year I discovered that I really enjoyed biography and I read more non-fiction that I enjoyed quite a bit.

I want in this year, but will have to make it work alongside my must read with or before my sophomore and middle schooler.

As an alternate for the book a week reading challenge I offer the 20/20/20 challenge. I've almost completed the 999 challenge and have no desire to stretch for 100 books in 2010. Instead I offer this:

In total you will read 60 books in the 2010. I've been thinking about this and for me it addresses some issues I had with 999.

- you can be more focused with your categories

- I found a few focused interests last year and being able to dig deeper into a subject will allow me time to absorb the information.

- This will allow me to add or not add the books I end up prereading for ds. While I do read many they aren't necessarily for my own self-ed, kwim.

I was thinking we could change the 999 reading challenge to this if there was enough interest.

Please post if you have any questions or comments.

Hey...Who are you laughing at! I'm stuck reading Don Quixote in teeny, tiny print and slowly loosing whats left of my eyesight. This book prolly (lol) will be the end of me, but I'm reading the big-old-tiny print-stinking-thing as an example to dd and ds. (I'm actually enjoying the story, it's the text size that's killing me.)

Earlier this year, ds and I waded through the ever awful Moby Dick together. He btw...loved it.:tongue_smilie:

Well maybe if your one book was Don Quixote or Moby Dick. :lol::lol:

Hey...Who are you laughing at! I'm stuck reading Don Quixote in teeny, tiny print and slowly loosing whats left of my eyesight. This book prolly (lol) will be the end of me, but I'm reading the big-old-tiny print-stinking-thing as an example to dd and ds. (I'm actually enjoying the story, it's the text size that's killing me.)

Earlier this year, ds and I waded through the ever awful Moby Dick together. He btw...loved it.:tongue_smilie:

I own Don Quixote but haven't been brave enough to read it yet. I waffled back and forth on which edition based upon font size, so I know what you mean. Congrats to tackling it and Moby Dick (which will prolly (smile) be on my list in 2011).

Edited by elegantlion

Thank you for understanding.

Word to the wise...Be careful when suggesting your 12 yo pick the next book. I now know more about whaling than I'll ever need to know.

I own Don Quixote but haven't been brave enough to read it yet. I waffled back and forth on which edition based upon font size, so I know what you mean. Congrats to tackling it and Moby Dick.

Thank you for understanding.

Word to the wise...Be careful when suggesting your 12 yo pick the next book. I now know more about whaling than I'll ever need to know.

You and your 12 year old might enjoy 'In the Heart of the Sea' about the whale ship Essex. Non-fiction about the story that may have inspired Melville to write MD. Riveting story, well written. Some too 'real' situations. It will provoke discussions about survival ethics.

:001_huh: I'll check it out because he would probably love it... much to my chagrin.

Library has it and it looks like something we can enjoy together. Thanks for the rec.

You and your 12 year old might enjoy 'In the Heart of the Sea' about the whale ship Essex. Non-fiction about the story that may have inspired Melville to write MD. Riveting story, well written. Some too 'real' situations. It will provoke discussions about survival ethics.
Edited by Tammyla

I think I like this, but let me make sure I understand you correctly.

We'd be reading

- ten sets of two books

- two sets of ten books

- a set of twenty books

with each set consisting of books that are alike by genre, author or subject?

So, for example, I could do

two CS Lewis, two JRR Tolkien, two Jane Austen, two Joseph Cambell, two Jeanne Bendick, two Larry Gonick, two Robin McKinley, two Richard Adams, two Isaac Asimov, two Robert Heinlein

then

ten Tom Robbins, ten Will Eisner

then

twenty theology books.

Is that right?

Well provided my world does not continue to implode this coming year I am in. I failed at teh 999 challenge, though I read a ton of books they were all in 1 category, all brain candy. I will think of categories after the new year when I have time to actually think.

Most of my 999 ended up being "youth fiction". Welcome.

I'm in. I didn't finish the 9/9/9 challenge this year. Innocents Abroad did me in. It took me forever to finish that book.

I've been reading The Odyssey off and on for at least 6 months. Four more chapters and I'm done. Some books you just have to languish in for months.

I think I like this, but let me make sure I understand you correctly.

We'd be reading

- ten sets of two books

- two sets of ten books

- a set of twenty books

with each set consisting of books that are alike by genre, author or subject?

So, for example, I could do

two CS Lewis, two JRR Tolkien, two Jane Austen, two Joseph Cambell, two Jeanne Bendick, two Larry Gonick, two Robin McKinley, two Richard Adams, two Isaac Asimov, two Robert Heinlein

then

ten Tom Robbins, ten Will Eisner

then

twenty theology books.

Is that right?

Exactly!

Ok, I'm interested but don't think I've ever read that many books in a year, let alone thought of doing it while taking care of a home, homeschooling, chasing a young preschooling, and caring for an infant. Is success possible?

And about the rules...

I understand the first set. I understand the second set. But does the last set all have to be in one category or is it just a set of 20 random books not necessarily related in any way?

Ok, I'm interested but don't think I've ever read that many books in a year, let alone thought of doing it while taking care of a home, homeschooling, chasing a young preschooling, and caring for an infant. Is success possible?

And about the rules...

I understand the first set. I understand the second set. But does the last set all have to be in one category or is it just a set of 20 random books not necessarily related in any way?

You are correct, the 3rd category can be totally random. As homeschoolers I think our categorized sometimes get melded together, it can be hard to predict where they will all fit, so adding random is good.

As an example one of the authors I want to read this year is Douglas Adams. I'll probably read 4-5 books from him instead of just two, so I'll tag those additional ones on in that category. Clear as mud.

You are correct, the 3rd category can be totally random. As homeschoolers I think our categorized sometimes get melded together, it can be hard to predict where they will all fit, so adding random is good.

As an example one of the authors I want to read this year is Douglas Adams. I'll probably read 4-5 books from him instead of just two, so I'll tag those additional ones on in that category. Clear as mud.

Oh! I see. I am going to try to make my twenty match anyway, because I like to be tied to something for an unbearably long time. :D

And I'm definitely in.

My four-year-old heard us talking about this and asked if he could do a reading challenge too. I told him he could do 24 in 52 - learn to read 24 letters within 52 weeks.

Okay, I'm in, but I'm going to be a bit flexible if that's okay. I'm thinking of the 20/20/20, but am allowing myself to include YA books, since I preread a lot for my dc for school and because some of them are rather fussy. I frequently read at least 2 titles by an author doing that and on my own. I fizzled on the 999 because it was too complicated to keep up as things changed over the year, although I easily read that many books. Also, I might hear of books I really want to read that I haven't heard of yet.

Mainly, I just want to participate in a reading group and the other one that wasn't a program has fizzled. So, if I read a lot of books in my own type of reading program modified with this one, is that okay?

I've been so busy lately that by the time I saw this there were already 5 pages of posts here and since I need to get to bed I didn't read them all tonight, but hope to over the holidays.

Mainly, I just want to participate in a reading group and the other one that wasn't a program has fizzled. So, if I read a lot of books in my own type of reading program modified with this one, is that okay?

I hope so, b/c I've decided that it's 2010, after all, and I'm going to read 10/10/10.

I hate to fail, lol!

I want in! I *need* in, I think - the last couple books I've actually finished are books I'd already read. The rest all fell by the wayside of Highly Uninteresting Books.

I like Parrothead's idea. I'll be watching with interest the threads that include everyone else's choices.