Menu

S/O Popcorn

Back in 1991, my boyfriend at the time bought me a hot air popper for Valentine's Day. It wasn't the most romantic gift.

I married him. We still eat lots of popcorn. We still have the same popper. It's nothing fancy, probably didn't cost more than $20.

At the very least, I much prefer to add my own butter, instead of eating the microwave stuff that has who-knows-what in it! Otoh, my dd is lazy, she prefers the microwave because she doesn't have to take the popper out of the cabinet, plug it in, and put it away. :lurk5:

I have a Stir Crazy popper. I use olive oil and sea salt and it is the best popcorn ever! Clean up is very easy. It's probably my most used kitchen do-dad. I use it a couple-several-many times a week. :lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

Cindy

We have the same. We use it almost every day, and it works beautifully.

I have a Stir Crazy popper. I use olive oil and sea salt and it is the best popcorn ever! Clean up is very easy. It's probably my most used kitchen do-dad. I use it a couple-several-many times a week. :lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

Cindy

:iagree: I much prefer my StirCrazy; we don't add butter, and without the oil that is used to pop the corn, salt doesn't stick.

If you don't mind a little it of oil, and like the idea of making a variety of popcorn types you might want to look into a Whirley Pop. We have one and love it. Dd's favorite is just adding a 1/4 cup of the Red Hots candy to the popcorn.

:iagree:

We too have a Whirley Pop. It's lasted many years. It makes the best popcorn I've ever had. I think we got ours at an Ace Hardware Store.

Or you could just put 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a brown lunch sack (with optional 1 tsp butter and salt) and pop just like the bags you buy. Much, much cheaper as the pre-bought kind and just as good.

Just about to post this same thing! I gave up pre-packaged microwave popcorn because of all the chemical additives, but I still like the no-clean-up part of popping it in the microwave.

:lurk5:I love popcorn.

I have had hot air poppers, but I have found that I like THIS one the best!

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04830-PowerPop-Microwave-Multi-Popper/dp/B00005IBXK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1260540865&sr=8-8

you can use it with oil or without!

The only thing is that you have to use the little cups in it. When I first started using them I didn't realize they are good for a long while. I was throwing them away after each use. Now we have had our cup in there for a couple of months and it still works fine.

Dawn

I remember using a stove for popcorn when I was a kid. I like the idea, but I didn't think it would work on a smooth top stove. I would be afraid that it would scratch my stove.

I had forgotten about the brown paper sacks and popcorn. I will have to try that before we spend money on a popcorn popper.

Jan