Menu

Hive! I need your comeback expertise!

Here's the story:

This morning, after a back & forth w/my daughters, I made my facebook status this: "Would someone please explain to my daughters that being a mom is not the same thing as being a dork, even though they look very similar?"

A friend posted some defense, my daughters rebutted, another friend posted a defense of dorks and claimed ownership of the term :), then my a$$ of a brother (ask me how I really feel) posts this:

"But Michelle, You are a Dork!! I've known that for years, I'm just glad someone finally agrees with me."

The background is that my jerk of a brother can't speak to me without throwing in some kind of juvenile insult. On Thanksgiving he posted this gem: "Hope you have a good turkey... (Oops! You are a good turkey!!!)"

At my grandmother's funeral dinner back in the fall, he managed to get three digs in (that I noticed), there were probably more, but I tried just to stay away from him as much as possible and ignore him otherwise - which has been my overall strategy since I entered adulthood and came to realize that he was never going to be anything but that jerk kid I grew up with.

So - I need your help. You ladies who have a gift with such things - can you conjure up a subtle yet devastating comeback to post for my brother? I would forever be in your debt. :D

Somehow, I don't think "Takes one to know one!" qualifies as subtle and devastating.:D

Since I'm a joking kind of person, I would post *rolls eyes at brother's childish insults* or "It's nice to know that my ___-year-old daughter and my ___-year-old brother have the same maturity level!" However, I don't have any emotional investment, so maybe it's better to just ignore him and not start something you may regret!

Somehow, I don't think "Takes one to know one!" qualifies as subtle and devastating.:D Seriously, I would post *rolls eyes at brother's childish insults* or "It's nice to know that my ___-year-old daughter and my ___-year-old brother have the same maturity level!" Or, you could just ignore him and not start something you may regret!

My mind immediately went to "I'm rubber and you're glue" territory, so I'm obviously not the right person to ask:D

Well, I'm right with you guys - "I know you are, what am I?" probably won't do it either, huh?

I'll probably take hornblower's advice (which is what I usually do) and just ignore him. I just don't understand why he thinks he's so funny?

My bro tends twd that a little bit, but I think it's because he just really doesn't know what to say. It's like "Hi, how are you?" but comes out, "Hey dork!"

And as long as you respond in kind? The socially inept continue to think they're funny & that you enjoy it. :glare:

Could you respond w/ something like, "Hey, bro! How are you these days?" & see if his tune changes a little?

Is he like this with peers, others, in general? Has his humor and jokes and interaction matured in other relationships?

Is it possible he's "stuck" in adolescent boy mode in life and that it's not personal? While I can see the passive/aggressiveness of it, is it possible he's trying to banter, to establish a connection to "reach out" to you?

I agree it's not productive, kind or appropriate; but do we know it's automatically hostile vs. inept?

Is he like this with peers, others, in general? Has his humor and jokes and interaction matured in other relationships?

Is it possible he's "stuck" in adolescent boy mode in life and that it's not personal? While I can see the passive/aggressiveness of it, is it possible he's trying to banter, to establish a connection to "reach out" to you?

I agree it's not productive, kind or appropriate; but do we know it's automatically hostile vs. inept?

I've never read his comments to be overtly hostile, but they seem definitely passive/aggressive. It's possible it's nothing more than ineptness, but I have a hard time reading any affection beneath the banter - especially since ignoring it and trying to engage in conversation rarely causes him to stop. And it often is a prelude to one-upmanship. At 42, I'm simply tired of playing the straight man, iykwim.

I'd say 'LOL! So true!"

I mean, dh and I know we're dorks raising dorks, so yk, yeah.

I wouldn't see the point in devasating a sibling. I know I wouldn't want my kids to hurt each other, no matter what. Everyone has their own baggage, needs, hurts and histories, and I wouldn't want them to take it out on each other.

Edited by LibraryLover

Thats the thing about FB. When you put something out there you leave yourself open to any kind of comment. It may have seemed like a funny joking status so people might have thought it humorous then wanted to be funny back. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Its FB nothing should be deep on FB IMO.

I'd say 'LOL! So true!"

I agree with Laurie. Even if it's hurtful, the best way to defuse snide behavior is to laugh and agree. It's what anti-bully counselors teach picked on kids to do. It takes the wind right out from under the snarkster, making it obvious to everyone that hears (or reads) the exchange that one of you is grown-up while the other is still twelve-years-old inside. Yet it doesn't involve insulting him at all. My dad used to call it killing them with kindness.

I wouldn't lower myself to responding in kind. I'd ignore it or block him and if it really bugs you, talk to him about it in person. If you engage his banter, you look just as immature as he does, kwim?

You can block him from being able to make comments on your fb posts without defriending or blocking (if that's the route you want to go.)

Settings-->Privacy Settings-->Profile-->Profile Information-->Comments on Posts-->Custom-->Brother's name.

Once you've done that, he'll be able to see everything on your page, but there won't be a place for him to comment. If he wants to say something to you he'll have to write on your wall or send you a message.

HTH