Menu

Anyone want to post your wedding dress photo?

:lurk5: This thread has been so much fun to watch! I feel old when I look at some of the pictures- so many very young moms on this board! and I feel comforted that others experienced the big hair/big dress 80's/90's thing! Colleen, I wish I had been as cool as you were. I love the idea of a beautiful black gown and an elegant party. But, that stuff never occurs to me until I read about someone else doing it and then it doesn't really count, does it. LOL

My bridesmaids wore pretty much every bridesmaids dress shown here, but in a deep emerald green. Surprisingly, the color is flattering to many people. Not surprising, no one wore their dress again. I love the trend to picking a color and letting bridesmaids pick out their own dress.

Two questions - worst wedding story? AND, moms of all boys, what do you plan to do with your wedding dress?

Worst wedding story - gah, so many to share. Dh and I standing in a dumpster (yes, a dumpster) looking for his paycheck (that was supposed to pay the photographer and the florist). To this day, I'm pretty sure I'm the one that tossed it - just tidying up things. I think, even after 18 years of marriage that was our biggest knock-down-blow-em-up fight. Something about standing in an apartment dumpster, after a week with your psycho-soon-to-be-in-laws, the night before you're to be married made me snap. Not a moment I'm proud of, but we really, really laugh about it now. We never found the check, my mom very graciously floated us a loan until the check could be replaced.

Wedding dress? I don't know. I have the dress here. I'm hoping maybe the boys have daughters someday and I can hack it up into baptism gowns.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a fun thread. Unfortunately I cannot participate. There are no pictures as I was 8 months pregnant when we got married. It was kind of a pathetic "just get it done" sort of day. No flowers, no gifts, no nothing. You say this, I say that, okay we are legal now.

But I would have been most likely to pick Karen's dress if I'd had the chance.

I think we should do high school senior portraits next time!!! Then you would all see why my mom was constantly nagging me about my eyebrows and why I marched my girls to the beauty shop at about 12 and demanded that their eyebrows be shaped into something not resembling caterpillars.

I can't post a picture. I don't have any on my computer and dh has taken the camera out of town with him, so I can't even take a picture of a picture!

But as to the question about the worst wedding story . . . .

Well, mine would be this: we got married on the Outer Banks (where we had both been living and where he is from) on Saturday at 2:00 and I had a job interview in Baton Rouge (where were moving) on Tuesday at 8:00 am. Obviously, we spent our honeymoon driving. I had asked him several times where he wanted to stop for the night so I could make reservations ahead of time.

He kept saying, "Oh, let's play it by ear. We don't need to make reservations."

Uh-huh. It was a Saturday. In July. And we were driving on the interstate.

We started looking for a place to stop before dark. Every place we pulled into was already booked for the night. After a couple of hours, I was near tears. Some nice worker at one of the hotels got on the phone for us (it was 1990, so before the days of cell phones) and called around. He spent quite a while and made quite a few calls before he said, "There's not an empty room along the interstate for the next 200 miles. You're going to have to get off the main road."

So we did. We headed southwest on the back roads, stopping at every hotel in every little town we drove through.

We finally found a room at 2:00 am.

I was ready to kill him.

That was the *last* time we have traveled without reservations.

Two questions - worst wedding story?
I stayed out really, really, late with some of my co-workers 2 nights before the wedding and my soon-to-be-dh was furious. Also, my flowers were the wrong color. I wanted white roses with a soft pink hue and no daisies and I got white roses with a soft yellow hue and daisies. Needless to say I refused to pay the balance.

AND, moms of all boys, what do you plan to do with your wedding dress?
I guess I'm hoping one of my future DIL or granddaughters will want to wear it, if not confused005.gif

I think we should do high school senior portraits next time!!! Then you would all see why my mom was constantly nagging me about my eyebrows and why I marched my girls to the beauty shop at about 12 and demanded that their eyebrows be shaped into something not resembling caterpillars.

Oh yes, will someone puleeeeeze do this?

secret.gifI would do it, but my scanner's not working....

We'll see how this goes. I'm still not home to try to share my wedding portrait but since I'm visiting at my mom's I'm able to scan these pics of my girls (ages 4 and 7 at the time, now 11 and 15) playing dressup with my veil, gown, and shoes. I cannot tell you how much fun this was (for me *and* the girls)! :D I think it might be really neat to use some of the pics taken during this portrait session for display at some of their wedding festivities (showers, reception, or the like). I don't know - we'll see how they'd feel about that but, for now, I sure enjoy looking at these. It is this moment in time captured on film that makes the value of my dress for me increase exponentially. Now, no matter what happens to the dress, the memories captured on film (our wedding and this dress up session when my girls were so young) are invaluable to me!

Here's two of my favorites from the session (click on the thumbnails once to enlarge and then again to enlarge even further):

post-17-13535082537748_thumb.jpg

post-17-13535082538265_thumb.jpg

post-17-13535082537748_thumb.jpg

post-17-13535082538265_thumb.jpg

We got married long before we had a digital camera, and this is the only one I've scanned in. Doesn't show the dress so well, and I promise DH and I aren't this fuzzy and out-of-focus IRL, but... well, this is what I've got.

smwedding2.jpg

I've SO enjoyed this thread - some gorgeous gowns, and such happy couples. Makes my heart smile.

ACK - nope, won't show the picture. (We aren't red x's, either, honest!) Well, here's a direct link to the image:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_-LgmZ04hop0/R-EkgUeca8I/AAAAAAAAA64/HE0BGKiNJf4/s1600-h/smwedding2.jpg

Maybe that'll work?

We got married long before we had a digital camera, and this is the only one I've scanned in. Doesn't show the dress so well, and I promise DH and I aren't this fuzzy and out-of-focus IRL, but... well, this is what I've got.

Oh! Is that a kilt?!

Lucky girl!

AND, moms of all boys, what do you plan to do with your wedding dress?

I wore my MIL's dress. It's been preserved again, just waiting for another wedding! I'd offer it to my DsIL-to-be in a heartbeat, and I'd try to be just as gracious and non-pushy about it as my MIL was.

The nice thing about this dress is that it's got classic lines and subtle decoration. It'll look heirloom rather than dated.

My mom cut up hers and made Easter dresses for my sister and me out of it. It was a maternity wedding dress, though, and I think the desire to have one of us wear it was . . . just not there. :D

Sharon,

The pictures are so sweet!! My MIL would take her dress out every anniversary and try it on and then her girls would do the same. My SIL's have done the same with my neices. (I just can't seem to get over unpacking mine from the "sterile" box it was put in to do the same)

Anyway it does make for some cute pictures. I thnk one of my SILs even used one of the pics when she was little for a shower invitation.

Today - (well yesterday) is my 18th wedding anniversary. Here's a link to a picture of our wedding. I loved my dress - It was ivory damask over a layer of pale pink silk. I was baptized in pink as an infant, had pink ribbons on my first communion dress and was married in pink (yes, I know, smack dab in the middle of Lent, but we were rebels then - it's all ok now)

Not a great picture of the dress, but I'll have the new printer scanner up tomorrow if you want a better one. I guess it's old enough now to be considered "retro," huh? ;)

http://www.thefoilhat.com/insidethefoilhatblog.htm?blogentryid=1328898

I still can't get to individual entries on your blog, so I can't see the picture. :(

This is the world's dumbest pose (who in hades meditates on their engagement ring? please!), but it shows the dress detail pretty well:

I love the photo of my oldest sister, meditating on her ring. She has the sweetest smile of joy on her face.

So far, yours is my fave, Sarah. Very pretty bride you were!

And Sharon in SC--may I please photo manipulate those photos for my portfolio? PLEASE????????

It's certainly OK by me. Not knowing what your portfolio is all about exactly, the only hesitation I have is in the fact that those were done by a professional photographer. If you can somehow give credit (Barber Photography, SC) then maybe it would be legal to do? I guess, *technically*, I shouldn't have posted them without the Barber's permission. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to share with my cyberfriends what we'd done with my wedding gown! :001_smile:

Actually, the photograph belongs to them--I'm not using their photograph, per se. It's kind of complicated, but it's the difference between completely plagerising something without proper citation and taking something someone said and making it into your own words.

Go here if you need to see my work first: http://www.creativewonders.homeschooljournal.net and click around. That's what I mean by "photo manipulation" and I shouldn't get in any trouble for it as I'm not claiming their work as my own AND I'm not selling it. I'm only selling the techniques I used on it, which is vastly different.

Oh and you can post those pictures without problems because technically they are yours once you pay for them. IF you sold them, then there would be problems with the studio.

Did you really go to "South Park"??? Oh, my. Now you officially have a theme song I can play in my head when I think of you. (Sorry.)

That is the sweetest picture! I'm glad you played.

Dy

*snort* Yes: South Park, Home of the Fighting Greenies. :lol::lol:

Psst...Is it true that kilt-wearers are required to go, er, commando? :blush:

We'll see how this goes. I'm still not home to try to share my wedding portrait but since I'm visiting at my mom's I'm able to scan these pics of my girls (ages 4 and 7 at the time, now 11 and 15) playing dressup with my veil, gown, and shoes. I cannot tell you how much fun this was (for me *and* the girls)! :D I think it might be really neat to use some of the pics taken during this portrait session for display at some of their wedding festivities (showers, reception, or the like). I don't know - we'll see how they'd feel about that but, for now, I sure enjoy looking at these. It is this moment in time captured on film that makes the value of my dress for me increase exponentially. Now, no matter what happens to the dress, the memories captured on film (our wedding and this dress up session when my girls were so young) are invaluable to me!

Here's two of my favorites from the session (click on the thumbnails once to enlarge and then again to enlarge even further):

Those are priceless!!!!!!

We had a JP wedding in 1988 with one witness, and sadly I have no pictures. :( I do want to play, however, so here is my Homecoming picture, significant only because I did marry my date. ;)

scan0002.jpg

I can just SMELL the Love's Baby Soft! :001_smile:

LOL I think I'd graduated to Anaïs Anaïs by then... :tongue_smilie: Hey, at least it wasn't Giorgio! :ack2::ack2::ack2:

Wearing Baby Soft, stealing mom's Heaven Scent, sometimes affording Liz Claiborne and loving Drakkar Noir on men :)

I think I smelled sometimes.. heheh

• 4 months later...
Lovely! Carrying a bouquet of daisies I see.;)

Isn't it fun to see how young everyone looks! Egads, mine was twenty years ago!!! Scary to think about how long it's been. I still have my dress. It doesn't fit anymore though:001_huh:. Actually, it doesn't even fit my 19 year old dd. I was very skinny back then.

I haven't looked all the way through, just to this point, written 3-18. DH's and my 20th anniversary was March 20. When was yours?

I'm going to see if I can scan in a picture...

Ok I have to share mine. :) My sister made it for me and it was her first dress. I LOVE how it turned out. It ended up different than the pattern but we were going for that. ;) My pics are kind of hard to see but the ones that show the final fitting aren't accurate since we changed up the train afterwards.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v428/Lizabethian/Wedding%20photos/?action=view&current=CassieandBeto3.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v428/Lizabethian/Wedding%20photos/?action=view&current=CassieandBeto2.jpg

My computer is freaking out and not letting me do anything but put those links in. Sorry about that. The first is what it looked like from the back and the second is from the side and you can kind of see the detail of the knot on my train and the detail on the top of the dress. Yes my back is red and splotchy. What can I say? I'm a nervous sort of gal. You should have seen my chest. :lol:

Oh yeah. 2004. And I want to say the pattern was originally a McCalls though I can't remember. And I wore blue fuzzy slippers. :lol: