Menu

picture books that show negative side of school?

Don't give me flack, please. I have a four-year-old who has only seen preschool represented by ridiculously positive cartoons on Nick Jr. (Thank you, lazy babysitter we won't be using again.) He thinks he will play with sweet, cooperative children all day and do craft projects when he's bored with that. We need to balance that impression out so that he stops begging to go to preschool.

So far on my list I have David Goes to School. Does anything else along these lines exist?

Do you have a neighbor child that you can bring lunch to, and sit with in the cafeteria?

My 13 year old still remembers being three and visiting a friend in the cafeteria. The lunch monitors were screaming at the kids to put their heads on the table and not talk. The smell of the food was overwhelming to him.

He has NEVER wanted to go to school, even though he is stuck at home with mom and soon to be 4 sisters.

Just take a day out and get him up before the sun comes up, give him a small amount of time to get dressed and eat. Them make him stand out in the cold for 15 minutes to simulate waiting for the bus. Make an allotted time for each class that day where he has to sit through explanations of stuff he already knows and time for other kids to ask questions. When he is done with his work, make him sit and wait again until it's time for the next subject, since kids who finish early have to do that in school. Give him a set amount of time for lunch. Make it a brown bag lunch, nothing warm and home cooked. Make him raise his hand if he ever wants to talk and make him wait before you call on him. Make him stand in line. Only let him potty between classes. Do it all as long as a school normally runs. Then make him wait outside for the bus again. After school give him homework. Make sure he understands he can't play until his homework is done.

After all the waiting and boredom and falling in line with the schedule and redundant learning, he might not want school so much.

Maybe it's too much for a 4 year old, but I would so do that for my 5 year old if I ever had problems. I only had to explain that to him once and he doesn't want to go to traditional school at all.

After school give him homework. Make sure he understands he can't play until his homework is done.

I'm not sending him to preschool because I think even a gentle sort of schoolday would break him. He's sensitive. He cries when given The Look. He picks flowers everywhere that he goes. He's very sad when we squish bugs. He is devastated when I scold his siblings for being mean to him, because he's more sad about them getting in trouble than about them hurting him. He busts out with songs of love five or six times a day, like, "Mama, you're my favorite guy, and Daddy is my other favorite guy," or, "I love all the people in the whole world," apropros nothing. A day of school like you describe would deeply hurt him. But I know your suggestion was well-meaning and I thank you for it. It's just that we're all wussies in our house. I'll remember what you say here if he still wants to go to school when he's twelve and has attitude.

Does he take a nap at home? My youngest thought prek sounded fun until he heard about the daily, required naptime.

He doesn't, but he's a very good little boy, and at the announcement of bedtime he sometimes tells me, "Oh, yay! I love going to bed." Not all the time. Just often enough that I don't think nap would threaten him.

I'm not sending him to preschool because I think even a gentle sort of schoolday would break him. He's sensitive. He cries when given The Look. He picks flowers everywhere that he goes. He's very sad when we squish bugs. He is devastated when I scold his siblings for being mean to him, because he's more sad about them getting in trouble than about them hurting him. He busts out with songs of love five or six times a day, like, "Mama, you're my favorite guy, and Daddy is my other favorite guy," or, "I love all the people in the whole world," apropros nothing. A day of school like you describe would deeply hurt him. But I know your suggestion was well-meaning and I thank you for it. It's just that we're all wussies in our house. I'll remember what you say here if he still wants to go to school when he's twelve and has attitude.

Maybe give him the start of a school day and when he doesn't like you can ask if he wants to stop trying out school. He sounds very sweet.

My kids found the teacher in The Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School very scary and never wanted to read it again. I didn't care for it, either. I recently read another picture book with a rather odd depiction of school, but alas I cannot remember it.

Thanks!

What is that one with the teacher who is really a monster? Miss Something? I have such a colander brain. (I just sat here going, "what is that kitchen thing with the holes in it?")

I don't have any recommendations for you (but am also interested!) but had to add this: I took DS to the local elementary school's spring fair when he was just 2 (now 2.5), and he now thinks school is where you jump on moon bounces and throw balls at the ladies in the dunk tank sit in the fire engine and eat hot dogs and brownies (okay, so the latter might be true). Still trying to undo that one!

Oh, wow....he sounds like my middle guy. Such a sweet boy. He used to tell us when he was little "I love you so VERY much". He's grown into a sweet, 7 year old dreamer now (he would tell you he's an adventurer, not a fighter). Anyway, he also wanted to go to school. I'm not sure why he wanted to go, but he did outgrow it between 5 & 6. When he'd mention it, I would just say, "No, we don't go to school. If you went to school you couldn't [play with your brothers, do whatever he liked doing at the time, etc.]. Now that he's 7, he understands why we don't go to school and is okay with it, and if asked he says he wants to homeschool. He does enjoy it when we do co-ops.

I took DS to the local elementary school's spring fair when he was just 2 (now 2.5), and he now thinks school is where you jump on moon bounces and throw balls at the ladies in the dunk tank sit in the fire engine and eat hot dogs and brownies (okay, so the latter might be true).

Oh no! That is too funny.

Oh, wow....he sounds like my middle guy. Such a sweet boy. He used to tell us when he was little "I love you so VERY much". He's grown into a sweet, 7 year old dreamer now (he would tell you he's an adventurer, not a fighter). Anyway, he also wanted to go to school. I'm not sure why he wanted to go, but he did outgrow it between 5 & 6.

Thanks. Personal stories of older kids like mine always help me relax, I guess because of our five have been so completely different from each other.

Thanks!

What is that one with the teacher who is really a monster? Miss Something? I have such a colander brain. (I just sat here going, "what is that kitchen thing with the holes in it?")

Mrs. Nelson. I think.

My 4 year old has asked to go to school this year, now that her peers have all started. I think she would love preschool, actually. She is also very sensitive -- to nature, to what she perceives as being singled out for attention (both positive and negative), to being "different". We've been reading Chrysanthemum fairly regularly since summer :) good choice.

But I tell her that we don't always get to do the things that we'd like to do. I tell her that in our family, we do school at home with each other. We see friends after school. Time is still a bit abstract for her, but I do point out 2pm when it rolls around. I tell the kids that preschool is out, and the elementary kids still have an hour. They usually have been done with school for hours and have been playing since.

I bought her a backpack. I sometimes let her eat lunch out of a lunchbox. Those are things her friends were excited to get and do. I asked her what she thought they did at preschool, and to the best of my ability and resources tried to replicate her ideation.

I wish I knew of a book to recommend. He sounds like quite a little love.

This cracked me up:

Do you have a neighbor child that you can bring lunch to, and sit with in the cafeteria?

My youngest has never been to school, but last year, when he was 12, he came to work with me (college campus) on a day when a middle school was visiting. When we went to lunch, in our cafeteria, which is usually exciting and fun, but this time it was filled with middle schoolers. We gave up trying to talk, really, it was so loud. I was having flashbacks to middle school, and suddenly realized that my son had never had to consume a meal in that chaos. I mentioned it to him, and he looked at me for a long moment and then asked, "Don't these kids' parents teach them any manners? They're like animals!" I explained, of course, that at home they were probably perfectly well behaved, but that in a group, things got rowdy. He was still horrified.

Good luck!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I don't know of a book exactly like you're describing but I saw Through the Cracks at a local bookstore and had to have it. It basically describes a typical school and how the kids are so bored that they're shrinking and falling through the cracks. I read it to my kids pretty frequently (sometimes paraphrasing as it's quite long and the metaphor can be puzzling for little kids) and they totally understand that this is the primary reason I'm keeping them home. In the end, it does show school as it ought to be, with students engaged and obviously having a deep love of learning. I explain to my kids that is what we can do with our homeschool but that our school down the street is not there by a long shot.

I will also second the idea of trying to find kids who will give a less than glowing report about school. I've been very lucky that dc's neighborhood friends don't care for school at all and don't have many nice things to say about the experience. One of my friends actually gets irritated with me because her ds5 didn't want to start kindergarten this year (which she was very much looking forward to) because he just wanted to stay at home and play all day like my ds6. So, I guess that pain goes both ways since she now needs someone to tell her ds how incredibly great school is. He's not buying it though. :lol:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Time is still a bit abstract for her, but I do point out 2pm when it rolls around. I tell the kids that preschool is out, and the elementary kids still have an hour. They usually have been done with school for hours and have been playing since.

:lol:

Oh, I am sooo guilty of this! My kids' neighborhood playmates both live across the street and go to daycare after school. It's not uncommon for my dc to sleep until 8:30. When they rise, I'll often point out how their friends have already been up for a couple of hours and have been in school for an hour. DC do not like those rare times when we have to wake them up and I point out that their friends' parents wake them every single day. Then, when the friends finally get home (usually around 6 pm), I sometimes point that out too. My kids are just wide-eyed at that kind of abuse. I would insert :lol: at the end of that, but really it just makes me :( that so many kids live like that these days.

I'm not sending him to preschool because I think even a gentle sort of schoolday would break him. He's sensitive. He cries when given The Look. He picks flowers everywhere that he goes. He's very sad when we squish bugs. He is devastated when I scold his siblings for being mean to him, because he's more sad about them getting in trouble than about them hurting him. He busts out with songs of love five or six times a day, like, "Mama, you're my favorite guy, and Daddy is my other favorite guy," or, "I love all the people in the whole world," apropros nothing. A day of school like you describe would deeply hurt him.

Our youngest son was such a sensitive, kind, generous, cheerful little boy. Then he went to school and the thugs there toughened him up for us. I'm glad you're not going to let that happen to your precious little boy.

How about Super Scary Tales from School, featuring classics such as:

The Five-Year-Old That Got Voted Out of Kindergarden

The Thirteen-Year-Old Who Was Strip-searched for Advil

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Zero Tolerance

Behavior Modification Programs: Not Just for Prison Anymore!

These are very difficult to find in print, of course, but that's where the skilll of oral storytelling really comes in handy.

Alternative method: google for stories like these, then gasp in shock until he asks what you're reading.

Thanks!

Re the Zoe Fleefenbacher book: I should clarify that the teacher is not evil, but her mantra is "Rules are rules!" I found the book to be very propaganda-like; the great resolution where Zoe is shown to be right, merely shows her to have acquiesced to the system. In other words, she is no longer resisting. Very depressing to me, and my kids focused on the weird teacher. Judging from what you said about your son, I expect he'd see things similarly.

My son thinks elementary school is like college -- you take various subject, or really project based, classes, and go for bus rides and all that stuff.

Your son sounds very sweet. I don't think there's any need for shocking interventions. There are many school related books by Rosemary Wells, but I am not sure if any, or which, would fit the bill. But I'd look at those -- she is not a "scary" author. I happen to have a copy of "Edward, Unready for School," but I'm not sure if that's the right one for your situation, since Edward doesn't want to be at school.

How about little gentler brain-wash :lol: approach but along the same lines of Sputterduck....but perhaps emphasizing the positive more than the negative.

Leave the house about the same time the neighborhood kids are walking to school....even commenting "there's Billy going to school" and waving to Billy as you drive past......then drive past the school, again pointing out the kids are getting ready to start their school day.

Then YOU and son go off and have a wonderful day....play at the park, go to a museum, etc...lots of hugs and special moments...... drive home about the same time that the kids are getting out of school, again commenting on it. Then tell your son that you are SO GLAD that he will homeschooled because you'd have missed all that fun today and all the hugs you were able to give him because he wasn't in school and away from you. The next day look out the window or go outside and wave to Billy walking to school again....then go inside and have a marvelous fun filled day with your son, again with lots of fun. And again, remind him how glad you are that he's home with you so you guys can have all this fun and all those hugs. A few days of seeing what he'd be missing might help him realize that he's got it great at home!

About mid-way through her K year my eldest suddenly got weepy each morning saying she wished she could go to "real" school. It took a while to realize where this was coming from because before this started she was thrilled with all the great things we were doing at home and would tell her public school friends all about HER day just like they told about theirs. But suddenly, she's weepy. Come to find out it was because a new child moved in next door, and the big yellow school bus stopped to pick her up each morning....and my child thought that was just soooo cool. It's wasn't school she wanted to go to, it was riding the bus.:lol: So, we hopped on a city bus one day.....and that single ride was all it took to take the glamour out of riding a bus. A special thank you to the smelly guy who added the final sensory overload....as if the bouncy rough ride, sticky seats, can't see out the windows and loud noise wasn't enough, lol.

If you're not already, you might try seeking out other kids of the same age and get together as often as possible to play together....maybe not just one or two other kids, but see if you can't find a larger group of PreK-K-even 1st graders so it feels like his vision of school to him. Perhaps that will fill whatever need he is having that makes him ask for school. If he had that to look forward to each week, as well as all the fun and hugs you provide the other days, it might satisfy his idea of preschool...without scaring him about the down side of school.

I bought her a backpack. I sometimes let her eat lunch out of a lunchbox. Those are things her friends were excited to get and do. I asked her what she thought they did at preschool, and to the best of my ability and resources tried to replicate her ideation.

I'd forgotten about that....we too went through the "lunch box" phase where they wanted their lunches packed in containers and being able to carry them from the kitchen to the dining room (or outdoors to eat). I believe that one was brought on by all the "back to school" sales that the TV and stores put in your face for a month, lol. After asking repeatedly for a lunch box I gave in and I swear we spent an hour choosing "the" right one. This phase didn't last long, but having the lunch box was still worth it because we'd take it along to the zoo or museum with a snack, so it wasn't totally a wasted purchase, lol.

I really think it's just the image in their heads that we have to compete with.....providing a suitable substitute image that still excites and pleases them usually does the trick. When they get older and their public school friends start complaining about school, and they realize that they don't feel that way about school themselves....that's when it hits them how wonderful it is to homeschool.

Remember the threads on this board around the time school starts up again....where we adults can't quite understand how other parents can be so giddy about sending their children to school? Well, come spring when we're all starting to feel a little burned out, the threads change to "should I send them to school next year", lol. Even as adults we have to be reminded that the grass is only greener on the other side because of all the manure that lives there....when we get over to that side, it's not any better either.

He thinks he will play with sweet, cooperative children all day and do craft projects when he's bored with that. We need to balance that impression out so that he stops begging to go to preschool.

Well, I can't help with the book. But, I can share that my 4yo daughter does go to preschool 3 mornings a week, and her experience is pretty much what your son describes. The classroom is well run. The kids play well together. They do crafts every day. They even learn a few things! It's a wonderful experience for her. Preschool IS fun!

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I have homeschooled for 9 years. Our older two kids never went to school. They never wanted to. They have always wanted to be home. Our youngest dd, though, is different. She is very verbal, and very precocious, and she simply needs a lot more social interaction than her older siblings did at her age. Having her in preschool gives her the opportunity to interact with lots of people. She is also learning that she isn't the center of the universe (a good lesson to learn). Having her there also gives the older two uninterrupted lesson time. I will probably bring her home for kindergarten, but preschool has been a good choice for us.

There may be horrible torture-chambers out there, but I doubt you'll find many (if any books) that will paint that picture. And, telling your son that the reason he's not going to preschool is because it's a terrible horrible place is doing him a disservice. It's simply not true. And, I doubt a single little book is going to sway him.

I like the idea of concentrating on the positives of homeschooling, rather than trying to paint an untrue picture of preschool. It's okay to say, "Yeah, preschool is fun sometimes, but your dad and I have decided that homeschooling is a better choice for us. We can have lots of fun at home too! We can even do things that kids in school never get to do! We can go to the zoo every week if we want to (careful not to promise anything). We can draw and paint and play in the sink. We can make puppets and do puppet shows. What do think would be the best thing about preschool?" Then, create fun and interesting things for him to do at home.

I don't mean to sound like I'm blasting you. I do understand where you're coming from. Dd said she doesn't want to homeschool for kindergarten. When I asked her why, she said, "They do a play in kindergarten, and I want to be in the play." I told her we could find a play for her to be in, and she said, "Okay." Simple as that! :) Perhaps your son just wants to do more crafts and have more playdates? I don't know. It just seems to me that being honest, and straightforward, and firm would be better in the long run than trying to create a smokescreen.

My 4yo attended VPK at two different centers this school year. I worked at the first one for a few hours one day (they asked me to work there, and hired me for the job). It was so very very depressing. I felt so desperately sad for those kids. To work in a center you do not have to have a degree of any sort, you take a few so-so 'classes' on working in a center and of those classes they throw in some 'child development' info. But the people working there did NOT love children, they all seemed to be there just to get a paycheck.

They scolded the kids for so very many things, it made me physically ill. 2yo's touching their backpacks were scolded for doing so. That's just one very tiny example. My child never went back there after that one day of seeing what really goes on in that place.

The second one was much nicer, but I didn't work there. I paid a LOT of attention to how the adults were speaking to the children in other classes when I went to drop off or pick up my dd. There was a nice veneer of smiling teachers and other smiling workers, lots of high pitched talk to each child as they arrive at school, etc. But really, underneath it all they are just tired day care workers, some of them did have teaching degrees, and they were better than the previous center. I just don't think such an environment is helpful or nurturing to small people. It is actually quite crushing to many. My dd is very sensitive, she's my most reasonable child (well, she was until she went to 'school') and loves to cuddle. She really doesn't like getting too much attention from strangers or really anyone not in our immediate family. She became overwhelmed by her 'friends' at VPK and did not want to go any more. She actually complained to me that she had 'too many friends'.

None of my kids really do well with 'group think' activities though. They all think and act 'outside the box' and such environments do not nurture their abilities or enable their curiosity.

Just thought I'd share our experience.

Maybe your child is a bit young now, but later down the track, if he is of an analytical bent of mind, you could try explaining that the reason why there are so many books about what fun school is, is because kids don't like school unless they get the hard sell :glare: My 6yo started to notice this pattern in kids' books the day when he grabbed an armful of library books and three of them were about characters who didn't want to go to bed ;)

My DD attended two years of preschool but I was adamant she was not going to school. She was less than thrilled because all her friends were going to school.

I didn't bother trying to convince but told her that's just how it was.

Then I organised a "not back to school" party for her first day of school and 30 kids and adults went to a water park for the day. I emphasised how great it was that she could do that and if she was at school she would be in a classroom. I also from time to time point out when she would be going to and coming home from school. But I haven't laid it on thick about how bad school is. As someone else said; she might end up there one day for one reason or another and I don't want her to fear it.

A year down the track and she is quite happy at home and adamant she doesn't want to go to school :)

I like the idea of concentrating on the positives of homeschooling, rather than trying to paint an untrue picture of preschool. It's okay to say, "Yeah, preschool is fun sometimes, but your dad and I have decided that homeschooling is a better choice for us. We can have lots of fun at home too! We can even do things that kids in school never get to do! We can go to the zoo every week if we want to (careful not to promise anything). We can draw and paint and play in the sink. We can make puppets and do puppet shows. What do think would be the best thing about preschool?" Then, create fun and interesting things for him to do at home.

That's very nice advice; I think I'll take it for myself! I don't really discuss it one way or another, but I have been looking for some positive book(s) with homeschooled children, and I don't think I've found it/them yet. Please share any you know of. (I did see the one mentioned earlier; I'll investigate that.)

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Blockers-Albert-Whitman-Prairie/dp/0807509191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258909676&sr=8-1

You will see that this book gets high marks on Amazon. The protagonist, who did nothing to provoke, is relentlessly tormented and humiliated by a bully in her class. I found the whole thing disturbing in many ways.

• The teacher does not notice repeated incidents of bullying, even after the mood and performance of the protagonist begin to spiral downward. (Further, the way these depressing passages are written is not funny or ambiguous, but sound dead serious. Can a teacher really not notice anything wrong?)

• Intervention of the parents at school does nothing to curtail bullying.

• Parents are on the verge of storming the classroom.

• The teacher devoted an entire classroom lesson just on bullying and what it means to be bullied, with A/V aids.

• The students finally conclude THAT THE TEACHER AND OTHER ADULTS CAN DO LITTLE TO PREVENT BULLYING. You must fend for yourself just to get their attention. Thus the formation of the bully blockers club.

Is this really a message I want for elementary school age kids to swallow? Sure whatever, just not mine.