Menu

Board Games

My kids love Blokus, Sequence, Scrambled States, Rat-a-tat-Cat (card game), Monopoly and Catch Phrase.

For the younger kids I love the games from familypastimes.com because many of them are cooperative so no one loses. My kids favorites were Sleeping Grump, Race to the Roof and Secret Door.

My children went to a family night at our church and came back takling about a game called Apples to Apples. They loved it. I have also heard good things about Amazing Labyrinth.

For an individual challenge the soma cube is fun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_cube

Edited by Ferdie

I think Aggravation has been the biggest hit around here on Family Game Night--something that even youngest dd could join in on (since she was 4yrs old--before that she 'helped').

Our next favorite--especially in the winter for some reason--is Mexican Train. We play with Double 15 dominoes. We keep the score sheet until we play through all rounds--it can take a few weeks (playing 1-2 rounds per night). Youngest dd was 5 when she learned to play by herself---again before that she 'helped' or had her own pile of dominoes (From a different set) that she would build with on a TV tray next to the table.

Uno Attack is loads more fun than plain Uno. We also like:

Clue

Quiddler (card game with letters - making words - we give assistance to younger players)

Wide World (and OLD game about world airline travel - I had to find mine on e-bay)

Scotland Yard (a logic/fun 'chase' board game where the majority work to capture one criminal on the lam)

Phase 10 (either special cards or special dice - Master's Edition is nice too)

Stadium Checkers

Catch Phrase or Guesstures (similar to charades)

Rook (card game)

Mahjongg (board game - probably too tough for young kids, but loads of fun for older folks including us parents)

There are probably loads more I'm not thinking of, but those are the most popular picks when we do family game nights - and we do them often. Our whole family loves them.

I always like to mention Sleeping Queens, a card game produced by Gamewright. A homeschooled girl created this game! Check it out here. Through the years we have enjoyed a number of Gamewright games including Horse Show, Frog Juice, Loot, Mummy Rummy, Zeus on the Loose, etc.

:iagree: Seconding Loot, Frog Juice, and Zeus (and I need to try the others!)

Other games we like:

Bananagrams

Clue

Stratego

Risk

Chess

Settlers of Catan

Carcassonne

Mythology

Heroscape

Jackie

You could also google card games...and find some great ideas on using just a cheap old deck of playing cards. We found one that we all love--it's called PIG. (You could also use UNO or Rook cards)

For every person you have playing, you pull out all four of one number. For example, if you have four people, you might pull out all four 5's, 8's, Aces, and Queens. (If you have five people, you'd add all four 3's to the mix). Shuffle and pass four cards to each player. The object of the game is to get all four of the same number. All players choose one card from their four to get rid of--place down on table face down and pass to person on the left--in a rhythm, while leader says DOWN, PASS. Players pick up the cards, decide if they want to keep it/choose which card to discard and leader repeats DOWN, PASS. You keep going, moving fairly quickly.

The trick is...the first person to get all four of a kind puts their finger on their nose. The other players put their finger on their nose as soon as they see that someone has done so. The last person to put their finger on their nose earns a P. Then you deal and repeat, building up to PIG. And I guess that person would be out...but we usually end up turning it into PIGGIE or something to keep everyone playing. It is hilarious and we all just love it.

Anyway...I don't know if you were looking for something like that or something to give as a gift...but there you have it.

I always like to mention Sleeping Queens, a card game produced by Gamewright. A homeschooled girl created this game! Check it out here.

It does look great, Jane. The site you linked says for ages eight and up. Would you agree with age eight as a starting age? Is it a game you'd only play with children, or would older teens play it with friends?

Games we like:

Rat a Tat Cat

SET

Quiddler

Fluxx

Bananagrams

Wise and Otherwise (for ages ten and up)

and for young children (aged three to five): Ravensburger's Snail's Pace Race and boxed set of 4 First Games.

Regards,

Kareni

I always like to mention Sleeping Queens, a card game produced by Gamewright. :iagree:

I bought 10 Days in Europe for school this year thinking that it would be something for geography...well, Grandma came to town and she LOVES it so much that the week she was here, I think we played the game about 20 times. Quick, easy and you are learning at the same time! Check it out..we also bought 10 days in USA and it is a bit more challenging.

We love Ticket to Ride, Clue, and Zooreka(easy for younger kids)

our family favorites

-Bohnanza (this is probably the most popular with our family).

-Settlers of Catan

-Ticket to Ride (this is my lease favorite but the kids, uncle and grandma love it)

-Carcassonne

-Rummicube

Thanks for this thread...I just added Sleeping Queens and Loot to my amazon wish list!

Our family likes

Bohnanza

Settlers of Catan (especially the Cities and Knights extension)

Agricola (my personal favorite)

Ticket to Ride

Carcassone

Pillars of the Earth

My 9 y.o. son also really enjoys Memoir '44 (2 person WWII game) and Tigris and Euphrates.

It does look great, Jane. The site you linked says for ages eight and up. Would you agree with age eight as a starting age? Is it a game you'd only play with children, or would older teens play it with friends?

Games we like:

Rat a Tat Cat

SET

Quiddler

Fluxx

Bananagrams

Wise and Otherwise (for ages ten and up)

and for young children (aged three to five): Ravensburger's Snail's Pace Race and boxed set of 4 First Games.

Regards,

Kareni

Sleeping Queens is probably a game that is best for elementary children--or for a mixed age group that includes children. The young lady who created the game was younger than eight when she developed the idea so I think that a six year old who is accustomed to games could play it.

I wanted to second your mention of the Ravensburger set of 4 First Games. We spent hours playing these with my son when he was a preschool aged child!

Also, regarding Fluxx: there are so many variations which add to the fun. The latest version we purchased was the Monty Python version. The regular Fluxx deck is just the size of a normal deck of cards. My son has carried this game in a pocket when attending 4-H retreats, ski trips, etc.--perfect for amusing a group of teens who have some down time.

My all time favorite educational game that should be the official WTM board game is Perspective, the time line history game!