Menu

Who gives non-candy treats to trick-or-treaters?

We have several parties next week and for most of them I put together treat bags that contain no sweets at all. Actually, they contain no food at all. I mentioned this to my 4-year-old's preschool teacher and she was very surprised.Like she's never even thought about it surprisd.

So, my question is: if you give non-candy treats to trick-or-treaters, what do you give?

We've passed out apple juice boxes (it is still warm here in Bakersfield) before and that was appreciated. Usually we just pass out store bought rice krispy treats, goldfish, or something like that. I steer away from candy just because everyone is doing that. We have a lot of little children that come to the door. The older teenagers don't come around until after 8:30pm & we've turned off our porch light by that point.

A couple of years ago, we came upon big bags of individual-sized play-doh for Halloween treats. They're tiny tubs, about 1/4 of the size of the standard one-color sized ones. There is a significant number of tubs in the package, but I can't remember how many. Dh and I figured they were pretty much the same price as getting the "nicer" boxes of candy. I stocked up on those, so we're good to give those away for a couple of years. :)

I also do have a box of candy necklaces that I'll put along side with the play-doh, lest we get the complaining kids who insist on candy. ;)

A neighbor of ours gave out mini-size bags of popcorn to microwave. The ActII brand makes them specially for Halloween. The kids liked being able to make their own little bag for themselves. (Although that may open up a new can of worms about whether the simulated butter solid in those bags is any better than sugar ;)).

Temporary Halloween tattoos, maybe?

Erica in OR

We have several parties next week and for most of them I put together treat bags that contain no sweets at all. Actually, they contain no food at all. I mentioned this to my 4-year-old's preschool teacher and she was very surprised.Like she's never even thought about it surprisd.

So, my question is: if you give non-candy treats to trick-or-treaters, what do you give?

I have always given out no candy treats, due to all our allergies- if I had candy in the house, ds or I would eat it, and would pay, lol.

I give out spiders, ghost rings, fake teeth, etc, and nickels and dimes. I add to my collection every year at after halloween sales, and get stuff at the regular stores, or dollar stores. The littles always love it. Only the teens, who probably are too old for T-or T anyhow, have ever complained or given us the evil eye. My kids always hand stuff out (we don't t or t but do a halloween party at church, due to the candy-allergy issue), so kids rarely complain to them.

Well, I'm not giving these out to trick-or-treaters, but, we have a small homeschooling group and within it are several children with food sensitivities as well as a few moms that don't want processed foods and a few that only want food made by people thinking happy thoughts (no, I'm not joking). We are having a halloween party for the kids and I found the cutest little plastic eyeballs with bubble solution in them at Target. So that's the "treat" I will be contributing this year.

At Easter we do a candy-less egg hunt and I was thinking of filling my eggs with Mardi Gras beads. All of our kids are 9 and under and the kids just love those silly beads!

We would set out three different pots with lids on them and tell the kids to pick one. We just stuck random things in there like "old" McDonald toys, apples, pennies or nickels, pencils, and occasionally a treat.

The kids had so much fun, they were so surprised! They would sit there and STUDY the pots like they could figure out what was inside each one. No one ever asked for something else. After all, it was their "choice"! And we really didn't have one that was just for candy, or one just for toys, etc., so we couldn't really remember either what was inside them.

And for people who are asking for free stuff - they shouldn't be so demanding was our philosophy! They were welcome to take it or leave it!

:)

But like I said, no one complained! They all thought it was silly and fun.

We don't do Halloween, but when I was growing up my dad had one of those huge, old-time popcorn machines (like the size of an apartment fridge, with lights and all) and he would wheel that out to the front porch on Halloween and have it making fresh popcorn for the trick-or-treaters. He bought a case of those small paper popcorn bags to hand it out in.

Over here there is a trick-or-treat like atmosphere on the two Eids, with little kids (and some not so little) coming around ringing the doorbell. Traditionally you're supposed to give money, like 1 dirham coins or maybe a 5 dirham note; but I'm really not comfortable with that -- I mean, I don't know how much to give, is it too much/too little, etc. So I buy a bunch of candy and put it in a big basket and when the kids come we just take the basket and let them choose what they want. It was very cute this year, we had quite a few kids, and one older one went back and got his tiny baby sister he carried over and lifted to get her treat from the basket. No costumes, btw, everyone is dressed in their finery (which is pretty cute as well).

We don't do Halloween, but when I was growing up my dad had one of those huge, old-time popcorn machines (like the size of an apartment fridge, with lights and all) and he would wheel that out to the front porch on Halloween and have it making fresh popcorn for the trick-or-treaters. He bought a case of those small paper popcorn bags to hand it out in.

Now *that* is cool. I'll bet your father had those trick-or-treaters lined up around the block! :001_smile:

Well, we always just give out candy; but my kids have come home with several non-candy items...

stickers

tattoos

pencils

rings

vampire teeth

erasers

pennies and nickels

small bottles of water

cans of soda (LOL, this really happened one year)

microwave popcorn

small bags of pretzels

small bags of Goldfish crackers

religious tracts

balloons

small tubs of play-doh

little bouncy balls

Growing up, we had a dentist on the block and he gave out brand new toothbrushes and tiny toothpastes. It was actually neat to get.

The nuns on the block (our street was next to the Catholic church/school) gave out FULL SIZED candy bars. The priests in their house a few doors down kept their lights off and gave nothing. Party poopers!

Growing up, we had a dentist on the block and he gave out brand new toothbrushes and tiny toothpastes. It was actually neat to get.

When we used to trick or treat, my kids would go downtown to all the stores. (It was a big deal, the stores on mainstreet give out stuff and the church at the end of the street had a huge festival) One year a salon ran out of candy and gave out shampoo samples. My kids thought that was the coolest thing they got. Followed by a close second-magnets and small empty boxes from a real estate agent. Its funny how strange things get kids excited.

One year I did both the Halloween Play Doh and Candy. My dh was horrified. The Play Doh was gone first.

AHHHHHH....So you're the one who gave out the Play Doh that ended up ground into the carpet, eaten by the dog and that I found traces of 2 days later in the cat litter box! :glare::lol:

We have a Pediatric Dental Office right around the corner and every year they put out a big sign that says, "WE BUY HALLOWEEN CANDY".

My kids always consider selling theirs, but after trick-or-treating, they're mesmerized by all of that candy and don't want to get rid of it.

They don't know, though, that I secretly throw a lot of it in the garbage when they're not paying attention.... a little each day.... :lol:

they're mesmerized by all of that candy and don't want to get rid of it.

They don't know, though, that I secretly throw a lot of it in the garbage when they're not paying attention.... a little each day.... :lol:

:svengo:

Throw out CANDY?!

(I can't resist candy... It takes everything I've got NOT to eat my children's candy! You could give it to ME instead of the garbage can!)

We usually give trinkets - yo-yos, bouncy balls, pencils, stickers, etc (whatever caught my eye at Oriental Trading). I try to get those McDonalds coupons too (they're like 12 for $1).

One year when my younger was a toddler, a lady down the street was giving mini-boxes of cereal for the little ones, and candy for those big enough to eat it. I thought that was really nice of her to consider - most of what R got that year she wasn't able to eat yet.

I am so impressed with all the ideas! I'm heading out to Sam's Club tomorrow as I have to get supplies for the co-op party food for Tuesday's Halloween party. We are doing no sugary items, except for eyeball cupcakes. One family said they would bow out of the party due to the expected influx of sugar, and we all decided to just have a no-sugar party instead. That way, if anyone wants to avoid sugar all they have to do is avoid the cupcakes. Everything else is healthy.

I'm in charge of the eyeball cupcakes and I'm also bringing Fire Ants on a Log. I think I may take the plunge this year and forgo candy for the trick-or-treaters.

We're going to a trunk or treat tonight. I have bouncy balls, pencils, erasers, jelly bracelets. No candy. I am also taking water bottles for drinks. I'm the weird mom. Also, we used to have a peanut allergy kid. I wanted to be sure he got something he could enjoy!

religious tracts

I'd rather see my child come home with almost *anything* other than the Jack Chick tracts. Someone in the neighborhood where we trick or treat (my girlfriend's--they always have a party and the kids go out together) sticks these in the bags often.

I can't imagine the people who hand them out would welcome their children being given religious propaganda by those of another religion, so it seems a direct contradiction of the Golden Rule. :confused: I can understand that they feel compelled by their religious directives to proselytize adults (though I think even that should be done directly rather than covertly), but I would prefer them to keep covert proselytization of minors out of the mix.

When I was a kid, we had one house (the mayor's) that gave out individual gumdrops on toothpicks. *Not* a popular house.;)

One year when my younger was a toddler, a lady down the street was giving mini-boxes of cereal for the little ones, and candy for those big enough to eat it. I thought that was really nice of her to consider - most of what R got that year she wasn't able to eat yet.

After reading the suggestion on here, last year we gave our daughter some of the mini-boxes of cereal as stocking stuffers. We quickly discovered Froot Loops were a ***big*** mistake.:tongue_smilie: She's 9 though, so it was a matter of too much of the sugar/dye intensive stuff (evidently she ate both little boxes of Froot Loops, when our normal cereal is Cheerios or plain shredded wheat) combined with the total insanity and off-schedule-ness that is the holidays.

It was nice of the woman to consider the little ones.

Edited by KarenNC

We are giving out glow bracelets this year because the local craft store had tubes of 50 for $10. We normally hit target to pick out non candy treats, in the past it has been pencils, bracelets, mini decks of cards, playdoh and tattoos. We also do bags of goldfish for the littlest kids and candy for the ones who just have to have it.

We started because a friends kid has food allergies and he was upset about missing trick or treating and I have found that most kids prefer a noncandy treat.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Halloween.

This is the third year that I will be giving out Glow-in-the-Dark-Necklaces from Oriental Trading. They are a little pricey, but the kids get plenty of candy from the other neighbors; plus, this is a "toy" that will be tossed in a few days when the glow is used up.

I'm also in favor of anything that makes kids more visible/more safe on Halloween night.

--Laura in Iowa

partner to Loverboy

mother to dd2

babysitter to C3 and babyM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Halloween.

This is the third year that I will be giving out Glow-in-the-Dark-Necklaces from Oriental Trading. They are a little pricey, but the kids get plenty of candy from the other neighbors; plus, this is a "toy" that will be tossed in a few days when the glow is used up.

I'm also in favor of anything that makes kids more visible/more safe on Halloween night.

In general I'm pretty unimpressed with non-candy Halloween treats (except for freshly popped popcorn), but I love this idea.

The nuns on the block (our street was next to the Catholic church/school) gave out FULL SIZED candy bars. The priests in their house a few doors down kept their lights off and gave nothing. Party poopers!

All the priests I know give full sized candy bars here too! The kids love it!