Menu

A "Thank You" to our vetern posters

I have spent far too much time on the forum today mostly following low standards/high standards threads. However, there was a post that really caught my eye:

"Yes, after answering the SAME questions time and time again those of us that DO try to help get tired of answering the same questions. It's frustrating that we sometimes NEVER get a thank you or know if our reply is EVEN read. My personal policy is to answer a question very briefly and then IF the OP responds to ME or asks ME a question I will give a longer answer. It's frustrating helping people only to be ignored! But that is the prevailing way of the boards." -MIch elle (Sorry, I don't know how to take a quote from one thread to another.)

MIch elle, this is my thanks to you and all of our other veteran posters who take the time and effort to answer the same questions over and over again. We may forget to say it, but your help is greatly appreciated.

This is my third year of homeschooling. My family (parents, sister, extended) do not support our decision. Friends ask the usual questions about when my youngest will return to ps. Outside of another swim family, I have minimal contact with homeschoolers IRL. This forum has been a lifeline.

The value of the information, help, support, and friendship that I have recieved on these boards is immeasurable. My end goal is clear but you all help to define the pathway or help me make necessary corrections on the journey. However, sometimes I am so caught up in my question or problem, I forget the courtesy of saying "thank you".

I suspect MIch elle is not the only veteren poster who sometimes feels unappreciated. So please, if someone here has helped you consistently, or helped you in anyway at all, take the time to thank them.

:001_wub: Thank you all!

Awesome post Lisa! :) I want to know if it's okay (for my part) to be a bit more general and just thank everyone?? (don't want to hijack) but, my homeschool support group IRL fell apart over a year ago and since April this site has been my ONLY support. I come here often (as you can tell by my post count) and it has been a blessing to me. :)

I would like to thank SWB for her awesome book and for giving us this forum and for all of the forum members here who contribute so much. You girls (and guys) make me laugh, think, evaluate myself and my philosophies, you challenge me, break my heart with your struggles and make me feel like I'm not alone when I'm the one in the struggle. Thank you all! :grouphug: I also want to thank the academy and my mom without whom I wouldn't be here today. Thank you all!! (sorry, for the silliness following my very sincere and heartfelt sentiments. I couldn't resist. ;) As my dh always says to me, "Jennifer, you're such a child! ;) :blushing:)

Yes, I agree with every word. I know I'm guilty of not saying a thank you at the end of every thread where I'm asking for help just because sometimes it goes down a few pages and I don't want to seem like I'm bumping gratuitously, so I just leave it alone. But I always feel guilty!

So yes, thank you to all of you who answer our requests for support and endless questions, usually on oft-revisited topics. I, for one, am so grateful. Just about everything I know about HSing, I learned from the veterans here.

Joanne always seems like the den mother of the board and her insight and thoughtful responses throughout the years (I've been hear a LONG time) have been a real blessing to me.

I have saved many of Nan's long and detailed posts about teaching writing and find them inspirational when I'm feeling lost. I appreciate the time she has taken to help me and others over the years.

And of course, SWB for leading me down this path with the original WTM.

K

Yes, I agree with every word. I know I'm guilty of not saying a thank you at the end of every thread where I'm asking for help just because sometimes it goes down a few pages and I don't want to seem like I'm bumping gratuitously, so I just leave it alone. But I always feel guilty!

So yes, thank you to all of you who answer our requests for support and endless questions, usually on oft-revisited topics. I, for one, am so grateful. Just about everything I know about HSing, I learned from the veterans here.

This pretty much says it all. Thanks everyone!

What a nice thread! I am one of the veteran posters but I would not have made it this far without the support of my virtual posse on this board. While there are some homeschoolers in our area, it seems that few understood our attempt at classical or semi-classical education. Susan's books and these boards have been a saving grace for me not only with respect to curricular materials, but for my own sanity. I simply have not felt alone within this virtual community.

In my case, the support system of the board extends beyond posts to private messages, emails and phone calls. So big thanks to my virtual support group and to all who contribute not only to my son's education but mine as well.

Hugs and thanks,

Jane

PM the people who really helped you.

A big thanks to Colleen in NS for answering my WTM logic stage writing questions twice! I appreciate OhElizabeth's no nonsense posts - I find myself nodding everytime I read her words of wisdom. I am so glad Momof7 has returned - I'm always interested in what she says. There are many more! And I'm thankful for Leanna, here and IRL (though not local), who has been my mentor since my first child was born.

:grouphug:

Unless I feel I have something unique to contribute, I generally hold back.

Many thanks to Jane in NC, Nan in Mass, Gwen in VA, Janet in NJ? (Enjoy your journey, Enjoy your little people-sometimes I remember avatars and sig lines more than screen names), Momof7, and I know I am forgetting at least a dozen other people whose replies have meant so much to me over the years. Sometimes just seeing that someone cares enough about your concern to post is the best thing. Maybe, knowing that, I should post more...

Anyway, the consistent kindness I have seen from these women in particular and several others, too, has been an inspiration.

I have spent far too much time on the forum today mostly following low standards/high standards threads. However, there was a post that really caught my eye:

"Yes, after answering the SAME questions time and time again those of us that DO try to help get tired of answering the same questions. It's frustrating that we sometimes NEVER get a thank you or know if our reply is EVEN read. My personal policy is to answer a question very briefly and then IF the OP responds to ME or asks ME a question I will give a longer answer. It's frustrating helping people only to be ignored! But that is the prevailing way of the boards." -MIch elle (Sorry, I don't know how to take a quote from one thread to another.)

MIch elle, this is my thanks to you and all of our other veteran posters who take the time and effort to answer the same questions over and over again. We may forget to say it, but your help is greatly appreciated.

This is my third year of homeschooling. My family (parents, sister, extended) do not support our decision. Friends ask the usual questions about when my youngest will return to ps. Outside of another swim family, I have minimal contact with homeschoolers IRL. This forum has been a lifeline.

The value of the information, help, support, and friendship that I have recieved on these boards is immeasurable. My end goal is clear but you all help to define the pathway or help me make necessary corrections on the journey. However, sometimes I am so caught up in my question or problem, I forget the courtesy of saying "thank you".

I suspect MIch elle is not the only veteren poster who sometimes feels unappreciated. So please, if someone here has helped you consistently, or helped you in anyway at all, take the time to thank them.

:001_wub: Thank you all!

Lisa: Thanks for writing this! I have not read the other responding posts, but I do agree with what is written here. I try as often as I can to fire off either a response here on the board attached to my original thread , or a quick PM thank you to folks who have posted. It takes a second and I think it is appropriate.

Thanks again, Lisa (and everyone else here ) -- :)

OH yes, thanks for this board. I love it here. I enjoy all the advice and ability to search for old posts when I am researching a curriculum or needing an idea.

THIS is SO me! I will read through old posts forever b/c I know I will find what I am looking for! THAT is how we began using Latin-Centered Curriculum.

:001_smile:

A big thanks to Colleen in NS for answering my WTM logic stage writing questions twice! I appreciate OhElizabeth's no nonsense posts - I find myself nodding everytime I read her words of wisdom. I am so glad Momof7 has returned - I'm always interested in what she says. There are many more! And I'm thankful for Leanna, here and IRL (though not local), who has been my mentor since my first child was born.

:blush: Awww! Thank you! It was my pleasure to chat with someone else about all that.

And huge thank yous from me to Jane in NC, Nan in Mass, Janice in NJ, Jill OK, Jenn W in SoCal, and tens of others that I cannot think of right this second.

Oh, and Leanna! You know her IRL?? I'd love to meet her someday, too. She helped me with some questions, too. I agree with Jane about the sub-support here - the PMs, e-mails, phone calls. Ever so grateful for this place.

:blush: Awww! Thank you! It was my pleasure to chat with someone else about all that.

And huge thank yous from me to Jane in NC, Nan in Mass, Janice in NJ, Jill OK, Jenn W in SoCal, and tens of others that I cannot think of right this second.

Oh, and Leanna! You know her IRL?? I'd love to meet her someday, too. She helped me with some questions, too. I agree with Jane about the sub-support here - the PMs, e-mails, phone calls. Ever so grateful for this place.

Thanks for this list too, Colleen. Now I can practice my new-found contact adding skills.:D

Thank you veterans of the board for all of your wisdom. Being able to come to these boards and learn what works and what doesn't from those who have BTDT is invaluable. Thank you SWB for helping us develop a vision for our homeschooling journey. TWTM more than any other source helped to define in practical terms what this "homeschooling thing" would look like.

What a nice thread! I am one of the veteran posters but I would not have made it this far without the support of my virtual posse on this board. While there are some homeschoolers in our area, it seems that few understood our attempt at classical or semi-classical education. Susan's books and these boards have been a saving grace for me not only with respect to curricular materials, but for my own sanity. I simply have not felt alone within this virtual community.

In my case, the support system of the board extends beyond posts to private messages, emails and phone calls. So big thanks to my virtual support group and to all who contribute not only to my son's education but mine as well.

Hugs and thanks,

Jane

:iagree: :iagree:

Me too. I've been here for 10 years...and I am constantly grateful for the wisdom of the hive. I feel so blessed to be a part of such a diverse group...and even when things get a little ummm...stirred up...we can all come back to the point...raising and educating our children to the very best of our ability no matter what the sacrifice. You ladies (and gentlemen...thanks Adrian for your awesome math posts...even if I don't totally understand them!) have been a lifeline for me through all the trials of the last 10 years. This place is just so much more than a homeschooling board...

~~Faithe

So big thanks to my virtual support group and to all who contribute not only to my son's education but mine as well.

Hugs and thanks,

Jane

Yes! Yes! Yes! Emotional support & educational support. Without ya'll supporting me and propping up both sides of my sanity, the water would surely have surged out of the channel at some point along this journey. It did often seem inevitable. But there you were. Every time. Sandbagging for me when I just didn't have the vision to dig, dump, drag and drop for myself.

Thanks for that! Much, much heart-felt thanks!

Peace to you all this morning!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey