Menu

Christmas gifts for 10 cousins....budget ideas?

DH has lots of little cousins on his side of the family. There's probably about 10 of them, ranging in age from about a year or two old until about 10 years old. I'm trying to get a jump on Christmas shopping. I hate wandering around a week before Christmas and wondering what to get those hard-to-shop-for-people. And these cousins for the bill.

Because there are so many, and we are not really close with them, I dont want to spend a whole lot. It would be awesome if I could stick to around $5 per child. I have no idea what to get that wont seem like junk. And the thing is, their families have quite a bit of money, so I always feel like I get them things that will end up in the trash. It would be great if I could find one item that I could get for each kid....the same item so it would make shopping easier and I could just purchase ten of them. But that's tough with that age range.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I feel your pain. :tongue_smilie:

We had a similar problem, and my eventual solution was to give up cousin gift exchange entirely. Since we're the only out-of-state gift givers, it cost us more to ship the gifts than to buy them. There was also the aspect of thinking they wouldn't be used much, with the multitude of other gifts.

But, some small items that would be fun and could appeal to an age range:

-Wikki Stix (http://www.wikkistix.com/). They sell smaller gift-giving sizes, and the nice thing is eventually they do get "used up" as carpet fibers get stuck to them, and they can be thrown away.

-Small craft kits from Michael's or JoAnn

-A type of chocolate/candy only available at Christmas. My kids love those chocolate oranges that you slam on the table to separate into the pieces. They come in lots of different flavors.

-Webkinz Li'l Kinz or Ty Beanies 2.0, if they're into online playing. You can get them at Walgreen's and Rite Aid for $5-6.

-Puzzles, but just vary the piece number for the age.

Perhaps you could find a gift that becomes your yearly signature Christmas gift for the cousins - the same thing every year, but something that they can still enjoy every year. Then you won't have to go through gift-giving angst every year. My grandma always sent us licorice every year (along with other pieces), but we knew the licorice would be in the package and we looked forward to it.

Erica in OR

One year my aunt put together craft baskets for my cousin and I. There was glue, paper, pipe cleaners, pon-poms, scissors, stickers -- all sorts of stuff. For some of the older kids (4 and up, I'd say) you can do something like that. You can buy large packages of some of those supplies in craft stores and divide them up among the baskets. Christmas Tree Shop usually has craft kits for very little money.

If you can hit a really good sale, you can do no-sew fleece blankets for the kids. I made them for my kids last year and they were easy. They ended up being a bit on the expensive side though.

Maybe homemade scented play dough for the younger ones. (use unsweetened kool aid to add the color and the scent) You can pack this with a short piece of dowel or pvc pipe for a roller and a couple small cookie cutters. (or just store bought play-doh, it's always fun to have new jars!)

For the older ones maybe the bits for a fun science demo or the soda/mentos thingy (link below).

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/2072

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!

I really like the book idea. Would it be totally cheap to buy them paperback books as opposed to hardcovers? I'm not sure if I could find hardcovers for $5. I saw the $5 hardcover books at Kohl's, but those are so popular that the kids may already have those books.

I like the gift card idea as well, but I think I'm going to keep that in mind till they get older. At this age, they will probably like something more tangible better. When they are older, I really won't know what to get them LOL, so gift cards to McDonald's or an ice cream shoppe will be great.

I may put some sort of Christmas candy with the books, not sure yet though. I guess it depends on how much the books cost.

I can handle books for 0-6 years old.....but what do kids after that like? What about 10 year olds? What kind of stuff do they read?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!

I really like the book idea. Would it be totally cheap to buy them paperback books as opposed to hardcovers? I'm not sure if I could find hardcovers for $5. I saw the $5 hardcover books at Kohl's, but those are so popular that the kids may already have those books.

I like the gift card idea as well, but I think I'm going to keep that in mind till they get older. At this age, they will probably like something more tangible better. When they are older, I really won't know what to get them LOL, so gift cards to McDonald's or an ice cream shoppe will be great.

I may put some sort of Christmas candy with the books, not sure yet though. I guess it depends on how much the books cost.

I can handle books for 0-6 years old.....but what do kids after that like? What about 10 year olds? What kind of stuff do they read?

Books A Million clearance section. That is where I get all of the Christmas cousin books!! Great prices and a lot of different choices. I can usually find something for all ages there.

I think it would depend on the child. You might want to look around on amazon for their 4-for-3 deal & see if there are any books that would appeal to these older kids. Maybe something like "The Phantom Tollbooth" or "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" would be a good pick?

You could also buy them something like a kid sudoku book & a pen for solving the puzzles.

Books A Million clearance section. That is where I get all of the Christmas cousin books!! Great prices and a lot of different choices. I can usually find something for all ages there.

Oooh, I totally forgot about that! They have a huge clearance section! I'll be hitting Books A Million in the near future!

DH has lots of little cousins on his side of the family. There's probably about 10 of them, ranging in age from about a year or two old until about 10 years old. I'm trying to get a jump on Christmas shopping. I hate wandering around a week before Christmas and wondering what to get those hard-to-shop-for-people. And these cousins for the bill.

Because there are so many, and we are not really close with them, I dont want to spend a whole lot. It would be awesome if I could stick to around $5 per child. I have no idea what to get that wont seem like junk. And the thing is, their families have quite a bit of money, so I always feel like I get them things that will end up in the trash. It would be great if I could find one item that I could get for each kid....the same item so it would make shopping easier and I could just purchase ten of them. But that's tough with that age range.

My dd just decided to make handkerchief dollies for her cousins today. They're easy. And cheap.

We bought the hankies at Targe 6 for $3.99. We use scrap pieces of lace and ribbon.

Took us less than 15 minutes for one dollie. This link is a picture similiar to the one we made. I've been googling for our directions but I don't see it, if you're interested I can scan them in and send it along to you.

http://www.mocstore.org/handkerchiefdollkit.aspx

Or here are some directions I found that pretty much sum it up too. http://craftzone.tripod.com/doll.html

Handkerchief Dolls These make great crafts for church bazaars, bridal showers and hostess gifts. Start with an unfolded vintage handkerchief, and then fold it in half diagonally. Stuff cotton batting inside to form a head. Tie the neck off with a ribbon bow. Knot each of the two top corners to close the ends forming a pair of puffed sleeves and “hands.” Sew lace (vintage if you have it) around the bottom of the gown and across the top of the head to make it look like a bonnet. You can add small silk or dried flower bouquets in her arms, if you’d like, and join them with another ribbon bow.

Edited by CalicoKat

magic tricks, deck of cards, clip on LED flashlights, dominoes, balls, barrel full of monkeys, jacks, yo-yos, apron/cookbook, juggling balls, wooden pop gun, bell for bike/trike, slinky, dress up accessories (fake mustaches, eyeglasses, spy hats, service bell for counter, purse, wallet, gloves, conductor's whistle, handcuffs & sheriff's badge, magnifying glass, magic wand, ..), switchblade comb, sliding puzzle, wooly willy

Unless the cousins are from 10 different families, of course, in which case this is no help.

For example: videos (we give the Veggie Tales Christmas DVDs), books (if they'll read aloud or if they are reference books everyone might enjoy, like the Guinness Book of World Records), food, games, cookie cutter sets. If you can give the gift early, we've given an advent calendar and many, many copies of The Elf on the Shelf (Google it). Elf on the Shelf has been tremendously well-received by families with small fry.

Last year, I made all of the cousins Christmas pillowcases and gave them before Christmas. These were definitely a hit, and it takes just over a yard of fabric per pillowcase.

Terri

I second (or third) the suggestion for an age appropriate book. If you know anything about them you could likely pick something that goes with their current "favorite" thing.....if not, a classic is always a good choice. Our non-homeschooling friends/family rarely have the classics laying around, but the kids always seem to appreciate the stories once they start reading it!

Bookcloseouts is having a HUGE sale right now...50% off craft and hobby books; 85% off scratch and dent and even their regular stock is always at great prices and there are many many many choices below $5.00.

Here are some coupons too (password for each coupon is bookcloseouts)

$5 off $25 purchase get5off

$10 off $50 purchase: clearance

$20 off $100 purchase: brickcity-20 or supersave22-20