Menu

Favorite Comfort Foods

Dinner-wise, that is. I'm sitting here in a sweatshirt, fuzzy slippers, refusing to turn on the furnace just yet (its probably 65 degrees in here, lol), and I'm hungry. I'm making out next week's menu and grocery list and I'm feeling like casseroles, stews, chilis. I've got cheesy scalloped potatoes in the crock pot right now and it smells lovely, warm, cozy.

So, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what are your favorite cool weather comfort foods?

(p.s. when I searched "comfort foods" in this forum before I posted, one of the thread titles was "Dog Food = is it really worth it to buy the expensive stuff" :confused::lol:)

Mac and cheese, warm fresh bread with butter and a cold glass of milk, mashed potatoes and gravy, and stuffing.

Hmmm...carbs anyone?:001_huh:

What is it with cold weather and warm carbs? (I know you are presently in a warm climate, but...) I have potatoes of all sorts, gooey, cheesy pastas and gooey, cheesy grains and more potatoes and definitely bread, warm from the oven dripping with butter...on my menu for next week already!

I've got cheesy scalloped potatoes in the crock pot right now and it smells lovely, warm, cozy.

:drool5: Well, you made me hungry for scalloped potatoes so I immediately made a batch for our family this evening.

I have no cold weather comfort food. However, PB&Js are always good for me.:D

This may sound gross, but my Granny used to make it all the time when I was a kid...cabbage in milk (basically whole cooked cabbage leaves in a white sauce with lots of pepper!) with a side of mashed potatoes...yum!

I don't think that sounds gross at all! It sounds interesting, and I can see how it would taste good. It also sounds rather Great Depression-esque. My grandmother did this thing where she made meatballs (burger, bread, onions, salt/pepper) and fried them in mayonnaise - sounds really wierd, but they were delicious. Oh, and onion sandwiches; just bread and onions - I still eat those when I can't find anything else that sounds good.

It also sounds rather Great Depression-esque. My grandmother did this thing where she made meatballs (burger, bread, onions, salt/pepper) and fried them in mayonnaise - sounds really wierd, but they were delicious.

Hmm, sounds good...I may have to try that!

It's a very Polish dish...they sure know how to make cabbage a gazillion different ways...

Edited by nata

Merciful heavens child. Don't you know what a black eyed pea sandwich is???

Black eyed peas over Wonder bread that's been slathered with butter. Make sure you get pea soup on the bread too. Eat open faced with a fork. Lots of salt. SWEET tea.

what did you spike that tea with?

Did you fall off your horse and hit your head?

Are you the one who serves white bean soup and salad to the neighborhood kids? :tongue_smilie:

Can you post a picture of that sandwich next time you make it? :D

what did you spike that tea with?

Did you fall off your horse and hit your head?

Are you the one who serves white bean soup and salad to the neighborhood kids? :tongue_smilie:

Can you post a picture of that sandwich next time you make it? :D

1. Sugar

2. Not recently

3. No

4. Assolutely man!