Menu

what happens when they go into PS

mlgbug

You tell the teacher. The teacher already suspected. You keep encouraging your child to just follow the directions and by first grade they are finally split into skill based reading groups but your child is still ahead and they don't know what to do with your child. :glare: So, you continue to work on reading and engaging their brain at the level they are when they are home with you and you both make the best of the situation.

In school? They don't learn anything new that year... or the next... or possibly the next. Soon, they learn that nothing is challenging. If they are ever in a situation where they *do* need to buckle down to learn something at their challenge level, they don't know how to do that. They usually refuse to even try anything challenging. Some have behavior problems. Drop outs, drugs...

I know a few families who have pulled their kids to homeschool before it gets too far.

Cheers!

Sometimes your child becomes a problem child and if you dare point out they're bored, and maybe if they could try to engage your child with more interesting classes or just give them harder work then dc would behave, they read you the riot act for having put them in that position. Oh and you get lessons on how they cannot cater to one child and advanced kids do not qualify for special ed.:glare:

they all think when she hits K they will psuh her into a second grade class to work on reading ect. i tried to say no

Subject acceleration (going into a higher grade class just for reading, for example) is not unheard of either... but it IS hard to come by. And... it's not always the best solution anyway. (Sometimes it's not a "reading" class, but an "English" or "Language Arts" class which includes writing. Often a child who can read grade levels ahead of age cannot necessarily write a three paragraph essay like the kids in that grade may be learning that year.)

In my experience, public schools and pricey non-religious private schools are very stingy with grade and subject acceleration. (Several have told me "no" in no uncertain terms.) We have had an easy road to hoe getting a grade acceleration out of our local, small (and I think that's key), religious school.

Yay homeschooling!

The district home school coordinator said if I was going to put my child in school stop teaching him anything and let him just play until he enrolls. Otherwise he would just be frustrated with school.

We visited the school during registration time. The Principal said if my child was that far ahead in math and reading then he would just have to wait until the other kids caught up. Around 3rd grade. :001_huh: They didn't have the time to work with such differences and he still had to complete each and everything the teacher gave the students to do. And if he was really fast with it then he would have to do whatever busy work she gave him to keep him quiet during class time. I said so then he would do the kindergarten grade work and EXTRA work?

When he said yes, we left and have homeschooled ever since.

We sent our youngest to kindergarten already able to read. There were two other children in his class who could also read. The assistant (despite being a very ordinary person and telling me she found it scary how well my child drew and read) did a nice job of working on reading with those three while the rest of the class worked on letters. My son learned lots of other things in kindergarten, including standing in line, taking his turn, being friendly, and generally getting along with others. Those are why we sent him. We have a relaxed, non-academic kindergarten, so learning to read generally happens in first grade. First grade is when much more seat-work begins and the classroom is much more school-y. I had serious doubts about sending my son to wait out first grade. I think if I had, they would have taught him where he was, because first and second grade have such a spread of abilities that there were extra assistants to help those ahead and behind, but I still thought it would be better for him to stay home. Look at how many assistants are in the classroom. We had one teacher and two assistants for twenty children. If the ratio is less, I would seriously wonder about sending my children.

-Nan

The district home school coordinator said if I was going to put my child in school stop teaching him anything and let him just play until he enrolls. Otherwise he would just be frustrated with school.

We visited the school during registration time. The Principal said if my child was that far ahead in math and reading then he would just have to wait until the other kids caught up. Around 3rd grade. :001_huh: They didn't have the time to work with such differences and he still had to complete each and everything the teacher gave the students to do. And if he was really fast with it then he would have to do whatever busy work she gave him to keep him quiet during class time. I said so then he would do the kindergarten grade work and EXTRA work?

When he said yes, we left and have homeschooled ever since.

EXACTLY what we were told with DD. But she desperately wanted to "go to school," and we gave in. We took her out 2 months later. The "new" wore off...she came home crying everyday that she didn't want to go to "baby school" any more. She said that she wanted to go to school to learn something and that all they did was put her off in a corner to read "baby" books... (and we had taken her in when she was 4 to be tested hoping to put her directly into 1st grade because we were worried that this would happen, and we knew that she was socially and emotionally above even most 1st graders----after sitting patiently through 3 hours of testing, they told us that even though she tests high enough to move up, they just don't do that:confused:) It was very frustrating. Nevertheless...here we are - homeschooling.

you don't put that child in school for K. You keep him home and homeschool him. When he turns 13yo, he decides he wants to go to high school for sports reasons so you start him in 8th grade. The public school tests him...in class while class is going on then tries to tell you he qualifies for Gifted Algebra (no, duh, he had done Alg 1, Geometry, and was over half-way through Alg 2 at home last year) but does not qualify for Gifted Language Arts even though for 3 years before that he qualified for CTY based on language arts skills.

So, you try reasoning with the principal who brushes you off as a pushy mom. Then contact the superintendent who agrees that one test alone, especially given the circumstances, shouldn't determine his placement so has them give him another test. Child takes said test and lo and behold is as gifted as you said he was (scored way higher on their test than needed to qualify for gifted program).

You are partially happy that child is in highest available classes but know he is going to learn nothing new until you can get him into AP classes the following year and then still maybe not. So, you decide to afterschool said child while he is attending school and remain determined to attempt to talk your other two children into homeschooling until college. :001_smile:

My youngest son, who is now 7, managed 2 months of ps kindergarten. He was reading already, yet was expected to sit still and be quiet while everyone else learned their letters and colors, etc. There were 2 assistant teachers in the class, but no willingness on the part of the administration to make accommodations for the children who were a little ahead. Some of these kids can manage to stay out of trouble, but my little fireball was not that concerned about whether he had a red light or green light for behavior at the end of the day. He and a couple of like minded little boys managed to entertain themselves. My son was one of the "bad boys" within the first 4 weeks! My husband and I could see exactly where this was heading! When I picked up his things from the classroom and let his teacher know that we'd decided to homeschool, she was clearly relieved!! She actually said, "Well, he already knows everything that we'll be covering this year anyway."

When people ask why we homeschool, I tell them that we're doing the local ps teachers a favor. :D

This:

"They all even out by third grade."

This:

No school is mostly a one size fits all. Grade skips aren't unheard of, but they aren't easy to get and they really don't make things better.

And, oh yeah, this:

When people ask why we homeschool, I tell them that we're doing the local ps teachers a favor. :D

I wanted to send Jack to k'er this fall (he turns 5 after the "soft" cutoff date). But the ps superintendent has decided that early kindergarten entrance is NEVER appropriate. And while I didn't hear the "they all even out by 3rd grade" at the public school, I did at the private one. I figure we are doing the teachers a favor by keeping him home. And the other kids in the class. But, most importantly, we're doing Jack a favor. If he "evens out" by 3rd grade, maybe I'll send him. Anybody want to place a bet? :D

We sent our DS5 to a private school this year for precisely this reason. I didn't have to say anything at all. The 2nd week of school the teacher casually told me, "He's reading way above grade level so we moved him up to 1st grade reading." The whole school does each subject at the same time and it is common here to move kids up or down according to their subject level. Why does PS have to make this so hard?

So in other words, learning isn't really the most important goal of schools. :glare:

I think schools' most important goal is the status quo: keeping everything going as it "should." Any deviation from that needs intervention -- to enable that person to "stay in the box." Thus, kids who need additional support and help in order to "keep up" will get it, because the goal is that they end up back in step with the others. Kids who are ahead are already out of step. There is no motivation to encourage them to be further out of step, so... what motivation do they have to educate them?

If your goal for your child is somewhere in that school's "box," even for just that year, then things will probably go well (at least for that year). If your (or your child's) goal lays elsewhere, well...

My son was one of two kids in his K class who already read fluently; they got extra books & library time. He was skipped up to 1st grade as soon as there was an opening (Thanksgiving) and his 1st-grade teacher seemed annoyed by his work. For example, on a math page they were supposed to write different ways to make numbers (e.g., 8=6+2, 5+3, etc.), and he wrote 8=20ĂƒÂ·2.5. She didn't mark it wrong, but she wasn't pleased. That was in March. By April I was researching homeschooling, and we've never looked back. Now at 12 he's doing precalculus and loving life ;-)

Oh, when they agreed to the grade skip, the principal, psychologist, etc. told us that they do grade-skips only when the child is working at least 3 or 4 grades ahead, so this wouldn't really solve the problem. Hey, they were right!

~Laura

he wrote 8=20ĂƒÂ·2.5. She didn't mark it wrong, but she wasn't pleased.

Doesn't that just beat all?!?! I wonder if, perhaps, she didn't understand the answer. (After reading Liping Ma's book, I finally realize that this is a distinct possibility! And isn't that SAD?!)

Ah well... he was obviously thinking outside of her box. Maybe THAT is what made her uncomfortable?

It makes *me* uncomfortable that elementary school teachers can be uncomfortable when kids are capable of *more* than they expect. It also makes me uncomfortable that an elementary school teacher might not understand that 20/2.5=8. Sigh.

Oh, when they agreed to the grade skip, the principal, psychologist, etc. told us that they do grade-skips only when the child is working at least 3 or 4 grades ahead, so this wouldn't really solve the problem. Hey, they were right!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Our society really has decided to leave gifted kids behind.

When I went into K, my parents say I just tried to teach the other kids :lol: (I was reading at 3). Once there was a G&T program, I was in it, and there was talk of grade skipping but they discouraged it. So guess what--my parents pulled me out to homeschool me, lol. My brothers and I all went through the PS-some-years, HS-some-years experience. When my brothers wanted to go to school for the social factor like a PP said, my parents let them, and they usually asked to homeschool the next year. My parents used Calvert one year and their test had me skip a grade, and then when I went back to HS for two years (in a "nicer" school--still not very challenging) that school accepted the grade shift. I wonder why they don't accept the starting grade change the same way? Or maybe we just got lucky with our school not putting me back down at my age grade.

Doesn't that just beat all?!?! I wonder if, perhaps, she didn't understand the answer. (After reading Liping Ma's book, I finally realize that this is a distinct possibility! And isn't that SAD?!)

Exactly -- that occurred to me only much later, that she was very likely fuzzy on decimals herself. I'll have to check out the book you mentioned -- sounds intriguing!

Ah well... he was obviously thinking outside of her box. Maybe THAT is what made her uncomfortable?

Yes, that, and probably being unsure about decimals herself; and thinking he was showing off, perhaps, since 1st-graders aren't supposed to know about division, much less decimals; perhaps she thought I was a pushy parent (in fact I never taught him about division or decimals; he just absorbed math like a sponge); her own sons were slightly older, so perhaps it was jealousy . . . who knows?

It makes *me* uncomfortable that elementary school teachers can be uncomfortable when kids are capable of *more* than they expect. It also makes me uncomfortable that an elementary school teacher might not understand that 20/2.5=8. Sigh.

*Sigh* is right . . . well, it led *us* to homeschooling and a much saner family life.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Our society really has decided to leave gifted kids behind.

Yes. I do worry about all the gifted kids learning to hate school, and how we're failing these kids . . .

Edited by Laura in CA

Well, here is what happened to me.

I was one of these gifted kids. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska. Gifted education used to be considered special ed. I even had an IEP.

Even with the IEP, I would have been better off being taught at home. My K teacher was wonderful and seriously advocated for me. I can remember being in first grade though, and being given all of my work for the week on Monday morning (I was in a program that focused on personal accountability at this point, so everybody did their work at their own pace throughout the week). Anyhow, I would have my work done by Monday at lunch or maybe Monday afternoon, and then I would spend the week (alone) in the school library or reading to myself in the classroom.

I did really well socially through the third grade, when the gifted immersion stopped for me. From fourth grade on, I was in a 1-2 day/week pull-out program. It was an amazing program and I was happy when I was there, but it caused a lot of issues for me. It didn't take long for the other kids in my class to figure out I was different and getting special treatment because of it. There was a boy in my class that was also sent, so at least I wasn't completely alone. But the other kids in class became resentful and ostracized us. The teachers became resentful at our missing class time (maybe having to teach the same thing twice?) and would often refuse to do things like teach us the math lesson we missed while we were gone.

When I finished 8th grade, I completely stopped with the gifted (gifted/enriched/honors) classes because a lot of the time at that point, the classes are not made up of more challenging work, it is just *more* work. I did enroll in a half-day paideia program, which was wonderful.

So, I did not become a behavior problem because of being in school, but I *did* lose interest in school pretty early because of the way my education was approached. I do not want my children to lose their love of learning like I did or to be made fun of because they are smart or to feel like they have to act like they don't know the answer because they want to fit in. I want more for my kids than what I had and at this point, the way to get that (for us) is homeschooling them.

I hope you are able to make the decision that is right for your family. Good luck! :)

Since I didn't get any attention and accommodation for being smart, I came up with a bunch of other ways to get attention. In first grade, I couldn't spell my last name. My dad put an end to that (making me write it for hours for a couple days). In 2nd grade, I just "could not" get fractions. Really, you'd think they would have caught on that I was making this up. In 3rd grade, I couldn't hear then couldn't see. My mom ran me to appointments finding out I was just fine. But in school, I had a classmate sit with me to "translate," the teacher stood closer and checked on me. And the list just goes on.

I was SO happy when put in an alternative setting for 7th and 8th grades. We did school 3 hours per day. In 16.5 months (minus summer), I did all of the 7th-10th grade materials (though only through Algebra). Finally, freedom to SOAR. I was so appreciative of the facilitator for letting me.

But that was short lived. In 10th grade, a girl left to go back to homeschooling (she was a gymnast). That was my first thought of "I think I'll homeschool my children."

So in other words, learning isn't really the most important goal of schools. :glare:

Wendy,

Yes, it is- learning not to be different (especially if you're gifted), learning to sit still, learning to be quiet, learning to stand in line, learning to defend yourself, ... none of which you need ps for when social situations are all around you to teach those things.

Wendy,

Yes, it is- learning not to be different (especially if you're gifted), learning to sit still, learning to be quiet, learning to stand in line, learning to defend yourself, ... none of which you need ps for when social situations are all around you to teach those things.

You forgot "learning not to ask questions" and "learning that the teacher is always right, even when they're not"

Grumble.

My oldest dd was sent to a 1st grade classroom for reading class for an hour each day. Her school was a magnet school that offered electives, and she took at least one ag elective each term.

Her teacher modified assignments to fit students' abilities. If she passed out a worksheet that said to write the first and last letter for each picture, she might tell my dd to write the whole word and another child to just write the first letter. She was discreet about the way she did it so that no-one was put on the spot. If my kids could have had that teacher every year, I would never have started homeschooling. She was one of those people that was born to be a teacher.

Edited by LizzyBee

In our case it was a 4yo (late bday, missed the cutoff by a month) so they wanted to put him in pre-k. When I pointed out that he was already reading and doing 3 column addition and subtraction, and just loved history, I was told that wasn't appropriate to teach a child that age. No exceptions, no adaptation to the needs of the individual child - they didn't even want to meet him to see for themselves where he was! I was aghast. First of all, he taught himself to read (which also started his love of history and has now led into a love of science), and learned addition and subtraction quite easily at the Montessori preschool he was in. And if a child loves to learn about history, why shouldn't he? Or science, or math, or anything else he is interested in?

That was when we decided to homeschool.

I actually just put my 5yo into K this year because I'm newly pregnant and get incredibly sick with pregnancy.

It has been a frustrating experience. I ask what she does at school and it's the exact same stuff we did 18 mos ago. She's reading, her teacher just tested her this week and called me to inform me that she can indeed read. (Oh, really?!?!) They're letting her go into the 1st grade classroom to pick out two books each day to bring home and read out loud to me. When I ask about advancing her in other areas (she's wicked good at math) they say that her cutting and coloring skills aren't exactly at K level so they don't want to skip her.

Ugh. If I could manage better with this morning sickness, I'd totally yank her...but then she'd just be sitting around watching me be sick. At least this way she gets to ride the school bus! Very exciting for her.

Ugh. If I could manage better with this morning sickness, I'd totally yank her...but then she'd just be sitting around watching me be sick. At least this way she gets to ride the school bus! Very exciting for her.

My 18 month old learned a great lesson watching me be sick. We brought out the potty chair to get her used to the idea a few weeks ago. First, she sat on it. Then she stood over it and made gagging noises. Guess weeks of watching Mommy throw up several times a day convinced her the potty is good for more than one thing!

Seriously, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. And that your daughter isn't have the best school experience. I hope you feel better soon and find whatever education solution is best for your dd.

I should probably add to my previous post that the negative experience was at the district level where I was sent after inquiring about subject acceleration. I have since had great experiences at the school level - they have been very accomodating to us as a homeschool family. We use the school library on 'Media Mondays' when the school is open late - for the AR program. We even had school pictures made last year at the school.

wow it looks like if we ecer do PS, it would be some jpurney! maybe it has to be the RIGHT school....time to tell :) but i gotta love teaching at home. i mean no bra, hair a mess, cooking, and in a robe, and yep, dd snacking and reading her books to me, or sorting with nubmers, in HER pjs. what more can we ask for. no wonder kids learn better at home.

So, your 5 year old is reading....they enter K, but are way beyond the K student....

what happens next?

I know what I did, but it probably won't be doable for most people. I put her in a classroom taught in a language that she didn't know (and I don't speak).

She learned how to concentrate by paying attention to her teacher. She is now the top in her class and sometimes there are still new words for her to learn.

It was the best choice that I could have made for her as it gave her a challenge. (I work, therefore couldn't full time home school.)

Cathy

Wow, I am just going to agree with everything that has been said. I'm feeling quite guilty for keeping ds in Pk3, PK4 (twice!!!! due to "social" immaturity), and 3 weeks of KG. I wish I'd realized what was going on earlier. We just pulled ds6 out of private school KG because he was going on his fourth year of learning nothing. I, too, was convinced he needed the "social" time with other children to learn to share and get along in a group. Guess what? He never grew out of his "social" immaturity b/c that wasn't his problem. He was bored to death, and none of the adults in his life changed his situation for 3 years. I feel terrible about that and commend those of you who made better choices for your dc early on.

Once gifted testing was done and we did our research on giftedness and different school options, we came to the conclusion that homeschooling really is our only option if we want ds to learn anything, including how to function when faced with a challenge. We had all the typical behaviors: not paying attention, talking too much, goofing off, crying every time something didn't come easy (usually handwriting or drawing), pefectionism, etc. We are VERY new to hs, but I think it really is our best option at this point.

In our state, the gifted programs in ps aren't up to par, and giftedness in general is just not a priority. I just quit my job to hs ds6, and it's going to hurt financially. But, we are going to do whatever we can to make it work as this is what's best for ds right now. Hopefully one day, school will be in our future, but we'll only go that route if we have no other choice or if it turns out to be the best alternative for ds down the road.

Now I just wish I could convince my mother that hs is the best option. It was such a difficult decision, and it makes it hard when family isn't supportive of a decision you've labored over for a long time. Still praying it's the right one.

Good luck to you, and I wish I could say I had a better experience with traditional school. Some areas and school districts are definitely better than others!

So, your 5 year old is reading....they enter K, but are way beyond the K student....

what happens next?

My oldest became "teacher's helper" and spent most of his day reading to other students and announcing the time so that everyone could move on to the next activity. :glare: He also went to the second grade classroom for an hour every day. We were working towards a transfer to a Spanish immersion school when we decided to homeschool.

"They all even out by third grade."

This is why we homeschool.

This is so frustrating to me. My girls are in PS gifted classes and they are making one of them even out now in 3rd grade! I am fighting like crazy with the school. Ughhhhh....They did advanced math last year and now for 3rd grade...they are stating that the rest of the class is on level...so the entire class will be on level (even though my dd is the only one ready to move to the next grade level) I guess it is easier to hold one back then teach one a new subject. That is why they even out. Just one example.

It is very frustrating.

what happens next?

It depends on the school. A good school will challenge a child who is ready. I'd recommend speaking with the principal, teachers and other parents whose kids go to that school.

My DD (5) learned to read at age 3 and is now reading on a 2nd grade level. I don't think her teacher believed me when I told her how advanced DD is, but now she is assessing the class and is quite amazed. Wanted to say "I told you so", but held back :) I had a moment of panic when they sent the Sept. newsletter stating they were starting a unit on colors, learning about sorting and listing the word wall sight words. (I, like, can, red, etc.)...um, this is preK 3 material, minus the words. I am supplementing with SOTW 1 and WTM science for grade 1, which DD is loving. We kinda took a long break from phonics and need to get back to it, but she is resisting right now. We'll see how it goes.

I haven't a clue of how she is doing socially...need to email teacher on this. DD doesn't seem bored, but she doesn't really talk about the school day other than recess and specials. I do know that if she finishes her work she gets to go to the class library, something she really enjoys. Thankfully, her teacher recognizes her abilities and is nominating her for the GT program. We'll see what all that entails at the end of this month.

Isn't this exactly why many of us hs? For me, the clincher was my visit to our local public K classrooms a few months before she'd have been K age.

. . .

Me, eyeing the stack of 25 identical "K Math" workbooks on a shelf. . . (colors, shapes, counting to 10. . .) "What do kids do who already know the topics in the K Math workbook do?"

Teacher: blank stare.

. . .

Me: "What do kids who already know how to read do?"

Principal: "Not many kids can read when they enter K. Their parents may think they can read. . . but they have just memorized the book(s) and don't comprehend. . . Trained teachers understand how to teach them to comprehend. . . Parents don't know how to do this. . ."

Me: blank stare.

. . .

After 60 minutes of polite chat along these lines and tours of their colorful, clean, rooms, in this state of the art brand new beautiful school, in a county ranked among the very best in the country. . .

It was apparent that my reading, multiplying, factoring, etc dd was not going to be challenged remotely in that school and that if I handed her over, they'd designed a system whereby gifted dc surely would be encouraged/forced to have "evened out by 3rd grade". Not my idea of a responsible education. . .

So, the other option was 20k/yr private school for the gifted. I didn't even visit after learning the tuition, for obvious reasons. (3 kids x 20k/yr = I don't think so!)

I wanted to hs from the start, but checked into the options to satisfy my meddling mom. . .

So, I think with an accelerated child, you either

1) make do. . . don't teach the basics at home so they can have some challenge at school

(i.e., teach them music, foreign language, science, history, etc at home if you wish but try to avoid accelerating the basics. . . you may have to skip K - 1st in ps while they are spending nearly all their time on basic math and reading, but once they get older, you might be OK. . .)

2) teach at home

3) find a great school that will adjust for your child and commit to advocating/monitoring/etc constantly

4) ?????????

For me, it was easy to pick option 2. . .

I just blurted out "oh what a freaking load of crap"....

That statement makes me crazy.

lol, I totally agree with you! I admit that I was dumbfounded at the principal's premise. . . She was utterly convinced. . . it was so bizarre. . . I mean what could I possibly say to that? I am very rarely short for words, but I was practically speechless at her statement.

She sure made my decision easy, and that conversation totally explained to me in a deep way just why & how all kids "even out by 3rd grade." I had heard that from many people and it made no sense to me. . . until that conversation. It is criminal.

Well....I have an appointment friday with our principal. Im pretty sure Im also going to tell her that she is "full of crap" as you stated. Ughh. I am sending my husband to the meeting as I know I will loose it. I think he is set to just pull them out as well. Last year we had a very good experience with our 7/8 yo. This year they have decided to go back and reteach all of last year's work. Ughhhhhhh.....So....they also have decided to stop advancing my 6 yo so she doesnt get in the same boat as my 8 yo. I am done.

Ive realized the school is dumbing my children down to the average level.

My (then) 2nd grade dd was reading well above grade level but pretty much on grade level with everything else when she entered 2nd grade at the local public school. (She's was homeschooled prior to this)

Straight A student. Nothing but compliments on her all the way around.

2nd grade ends and she wants to come back home for school. I was a little surprised because as far as I knew she really enjoyed school. But okay, I miss her at home and I'm admittedly a little bored NOT homeschooling.

Crack open some 3rd grade Grammar and Math....she was a little clueless. Had NO CLUE how to use a dictionary or put things in alphabetical order. She has a hard time with subtraction. I'm thinking, "how in the world did you get straight A's?"

She did bring home 2 volumes of Math at the end of the year with nary a page completed. I just assumed they were doing and keeping Math work at school. After all, she had straight A's, right!

Apparently, reading and reading comprehension are the HUGE focus in 2nd grade. Lots of reading groups and time spent on that. Because my dd was so well at that I think she was pushed aside and given busy work most of the day. Not challenged one bit and we basically wasted a YEAR!

Luckily, she catches on to things fairly quick and is doing great at home this year. But obviously I'm a little upset by the ps system she was at last year. "oh, we have to focus, focus, focus on reading so our district will do well on testing. Oh, this girl can read and comprehend that well? Just give her worksheets to do all day while we work with the other children." ggrrrrrr...that's what can happen! And shame on me I guess, to realize that she wasn't doing grade level work.

you don't put that child in school for K. You keep him home and homeschool him. When he turns 13yo, he decides he wants to go to high school for sports reasons so you start him in 8th grade. The public school tests him...in class while class is going on then tries to tell you he qualifies for Gifted Algebra (no, duh, he had done Alg 1, Geometry, and was over half-way through Alg 2 at home last year) but does not qualify for Gifted Language Arts even though for 3 years before that he qualified for CTY based on language arts skills.

So, you try reasoning with the principal who brushes you off as a pushy mom. Then contact the superintendent who agrees that one test alone, especially given the circumstances, shouldn't determine his placement so has them give him another test. Child takes said test and lo and behold is as gifted as you said he was (scored way higher on their test than needed to qualify for gifted program).

You are partially happy that child is in highest available classes but know he is going to learn nothing new until you can get him into AP classes the following year and then still maybe not. So, you decide to afterschool said child while he is attending school and remain determined to attempt to talk your other two children into homeschooling until college. :001_smile:

Donna, may I ask what you used for Language Arts with your son in 8th grade? I have my oldest in public school this year and we are having the same issue. I spoke with her teacher and had no satisfactory answers - this from a teacher who claims to have certification in gifted education! I already spoke with the counsellor and they will not change her to a different teacher who I know is giving more challenging work, so I have two choices, #1 Talk to the Principal (I don't know if this will do any good though) or #2 Forget about #1 and do it myself at home. I am more inclined to doing #2 but I need a good solid program because neither my dh nor I are native English speakers.

Another gripe I have is that she is having to take the California English Language Development Test (supposedly for students with a home language other than English for whom there is no previous testing) even though she has lived in English speaking countries all her life and has been schooled in English from Pre-K to 8th grade. Her reading lexile is that of an advanced 10th-12th grade level, and both her Maps Reading and Language Arts scores are above those of the average 8th grade Gifted Spring Norm scores!

• 1 month later...
Subject acceleration (going into a higher grade class just for reading, for example) is not unheard of either... but it IS hard to come by. And... it's not always the best solution anyway. (Sometimes it's not a "reading" class, but an "English" or "Language Arts" class which includes writing. Often a child who can read grade levels ahead of age cannot necessarily write a three paragraph essay like the kids in that grade may be learning that year.)

It was a terrible solution for me, because in kindergarten, I got 2 grades of acceleration for reading but needed 6, and (obviously) no phonics or daily Letter People show. Also 1 grade of acceleration in math, but the pace was way too slow and I never had to learn any facts, making it through college calculus (without trigonometry or Algebra II—no idea how) still counting sometimes to add and subtract before I realized there was something wrong with that and no wonder I was lost in math, my favorite class.

That first school was a private school. The public school allowed only 1 grade of acceleration, so when switching to it, I had to retake the 4th-grade reading I had passed with perfect grades, as if I had failed it. By high school, I was reading at least a couple grades below grade-level instead of 6 above, because I didn’t understand any of the literature in my regular-level English classes.

I was almost ruined, and I’m working frantically almost to learn Algebra II, intermediate grammar, and beginning formal logic and Latin, (all missing from my school curriculum somehow :mad:) and keep ahead of my daughter in all studies. :001_smile:

The schools are so much further dumbed-down now, and the ones in this town are like prison-zoos (or zoo-prisons?), with gangs, security cameras, police patrolling them, etc., if I sent my daughter to them, it would destroy her mind. Not to mention how I’d be laughed out of the school if I requested a 9th-grade reading class for a 6-year-old. At her current pace, I think she’ll get to 9th-grade reading level in 1st grade (she went from beginning 4th-grade reading to about the end of 5th-grade reading from the beginning of May to the middle of September, about 5 weeks of which we didn’t work on it because our computer was in the shop and the books were saved to it).

Donna, may I ask what you used for Language Arts with your son in 8th grade? I have my oldest in public school this year and we are having the same issue. I spoke with her teacher and had no satisfactory answers

I use Lightning Literature http://hewitthomeschooling.com/book/blight.asp He did American Literature Early to Mid 19th Century this summer. I am happy with the program the public school is using for their gifted language arts so have not felt the need to supplement. It is along the same lines as Lightning Lit and very rigorous.

I tried to find someone to take my son "early" to Kindergarten. He has a December birthday and missed the cutoff, but every one refused. He was able to pass all the signs of "Kindergarten readiness" before he was 3. When he was finally old enough to go to Kindergarten he was reading most picture style books and his own and wanted to read chapter books. When he started reading the Magic Tree House series, they finally agreed to move him to the first grade class for Reading and Math only. It was a disaster, the first grade kids didn't like a "baby" in their class and the Kindergarteners resented the fact he changed classes. The school decided he was too immature to handle it and moved him back. We went through 2 different private school and 1 public school before deciding to bring him home to homeschool. I wish I had done it sooner, he has lost a lot of his spark and passion for learning. I am hoping to rekindle it before he is of age for high school.

what happens next?

BTDT. The K teacher tells you how far beyond the other kids she is and feels super special that she's differentiating for her. She has her sit in the back of the classroom by herself writing page-long book reports while the other kids do their phonics workbooks. Your 5 y/o feels isolated and alone and this sets the stage for her ongoing dislike of reading and writing anything anymore.

In first grade she's still so ahead of the other kids she gets chatty and fidgety, gets taken out of the accelerated reading pull-out group, and comes out of schol crying every day because she just keeps getting in trouble. The teacher recommends dd to test for the full-time gifted school since she's obligated to, based on her grades - "but she'll never make it in there". Dd is the only child from this school to make it.

2nd grade at the gifted school is nice, but dd is still chatty and fidgety and the teacher insists she has ADHD.

In 3rd grade she outgrows the chattiness and fidgetiness and all the teachers are amazed at the difference medication has made (dd isn't on meds :glare: ). Then by the middle of 3rd grade you notice your once vibrant, exuberant, bubbly, curious, incredibly precocious child has lost all interest in learning, fights you with homework every night, and only likes school because of her friends there. The teacher insists she has ADD-Inattentive. You know this whole thing just isn't working and both of you agree that homeschooling probably is the best thing.

That's what happened to us. Schools teach to the average child. Your child may be bored waiting for the others to catch up, or be told to help the other kids with their work. Accelerated programs are hit or miss and either your child is a good fit or not. You need to stay on top of everything going on and know what is available. Most schools are just not equipped to see accelerated/gifted kids to their potential. I would still give it a shot (if that's what you want to do) because you'll never know if you don't.