Menu

What are you listening to?

98% of the time we have an audio book playing when we are driving. You should see some of the looks we get when stopped at a red light lol Today we started on this set. It is a 4Cd set of the greatest speeches of the 20th century, that we picked up at the library. We started on disc 3 because it seemed more fun than disc 1(disc 1 was political speeches, where as disc 3 was dreams and inspirations so it had speeches by AMelia Earhart, MLK jr, Neil Armstrong, Babe Ruth and a bunch more. I think it is obvious we are homeschoolers when you hear my dd pipe up from the back of the van asking me to turn up the volume so she can hear Dwight Eisenhower's farewell address. If I thought the looks I got for listening to audio books were funny you should have seen them today.

ANyway, it got me wondering what other's are currently listening to in their vehicles when driving around. I assume we are not the only ones who tend to listen to books and now speeches, but perhaps I am wrong.

Today I made the kids listen to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

Lately we've been listening to more music - dd just started playing trumpet so we've made an effort to listen to various pieces with the trumpet. We listen to Scientific American's 60 Second Science podcast every day - the kids ask for it. :)

A ten minute tape of Tigger's Bouncy Day, or some such thing. That gets old very quickly! We've an out of town trip on Friday, so I dug through the library to find something on cassette. It's some story or other about a princess. It doesn't have to be good to be better than another re-run of Tigger, heheh.

Rosie

Today I made the kids listen to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

Lately we've been listening to more music - dd just started playing trumpet so we've made an effort to listen to various pieces with the trumpet. We listen to Scientific American's 60 Second Science podcast every day - the kids ask for it. :)

For trumpet music that appeals to kids, have you tried Putumayo Kids New Orleans Playground? My kids looked at me a little strangely when I first put this one, but they came around pretty soon especially with the When the Saints Go Marchin' In came on, and they love Ain't Got No Home.

Our current audiobook is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's taking a long time to get through since it's a very long book (17 discs) and we only listen in the car. Ds2 and I have been reading the Ulysses Moore series and may pick that up for our next audiobook. We usually listen to "light" stuff here.

Cinder

We are listening to church choir songs that correspond with weekly services that are upcoming. I usually listen to the same 2 songs for a week and that helps me master the one for the current week and extra time for the song the following week. I love singing. And each week it seems to be a very different style of music... my youngers don't mind this, my teens would rather listen to something else...

We are listening to Story of the World 1 right now. Oh, it is so much easier than reading it aloud!

My youngest likes Jonathan Park. That is a bit much for me!

We also usually have at least one of the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre Productions playing each day. Lately I have been hearing At Home in Mitford coming from the living room.

We listen to Qur'an recitation a lot (my favorite reciter these days is Salah Bukhatir ).

I picked up a slew of audio books this summer at a library sale but we haven't had a chance to sort through them yet. Most of them are on cassette tape, but I want to convert them to MP3s so I can put them on my iPod. My dad was saying you need a cable that connects a tape player to the computer... has anyone done this?

These are fun to read!

ds5 always asks for Johnny Cash or Beastie Boys, dd7 asks for Latin (Getting Started with Latin)

We had a long drive for a field trip yesterday & I put my player on random & heard many things I hadn't listened to for a while - King Crimson, A Perfect Circle, Simon & Garfunkle, Deadbolt, Replacements - weird mix, made me happy.

ds5 always asks for Johnny Cash

My 6 yr. old ds loves "Ring of Fire", you can imagine the looks we get at the grocery store!:D

We're listening to "The Silver Chair" in the car and have "The Last Battle" waiting in the wings. We're trying out The Great Courses Introduction to Beethoven as part of our music studies.

I'm listening to Winston Churchill's "The Great Democracies" when I can squeeze in 30 minutes for myself.

Okay, I admit it, I'm hooked on the Teaching Company Lectures -- I feel like I am just beginning to grasp an education which helps me make sense of our world. They make me feel lucky to have a 30 minute commute to work :)

Enjoyed listening in on my son's new adventure this morning: European History for Junior High Mr. Powell's "History at Our House". So far, so good, except that his class begins at 05:45 am as we live in Hawaii :tongue_smilie:

Aloha...

We listen to music in the car. In the AM we'll sometimes listen to the morning show; once that ends at 10, we switch to the iPod. The kids each have a "day" (even or odd) and they get to choose the music (off of MY iPod, so it's at least something I can stand). My 3 year old requests Abba or Elvis. My 8 year old likes Antiflag and Flogging Molly.

We tried the audiobook thing, but I can't concentrate on my driving too well if I get sucked into the storyline LOL. I'm just not designed to succeed at that type of multitasking - which is something we learned the expensive way!

We listen to music in the car. In the AM we'll sometimes listen to the morning show; once that ends at 10, we switch to the iPod. The kids each have a "day" (even or odd) and they get to choose the music (off of MY iPod, so it's at least something I can stand). My 3 year old requests Abba or Elvis. My 8 year old likes Antiflag and Flogging Molly.

We tried the audiobook thing, but I can't concentrate on my driving too well if I get sucked into the storyline LOL. I'm just not designed to succeed at that type of multitasking - which is something we learned the expensive way!

I can't do audiobooks, either, but only because they put me to sleep!! Not good when driving.

You're much nicer than I am. I'm driving, my car, I choose. I do sometimes let them pick what they want to hear, but it does have to be from my collection.

My 6 year old's latest obsession is Neil Young, the 13 year old is into anything hip-hop, and I can't bring myself to turn off Ray Lamontagne.

98% of the time we have an audio book playing when we are driving. You should see some of the looks we get when stopped at a red light lol Today we started on this set. It is a 4Cd set of the greatest speeches of the 20th century, that we picked up at the library. We started on disc 3 because it seemed more fun than disc 1(disc 1 was political speeches, where as disc 3 was dreams and inspirations so it had speeches by AMelia Earhart, MLK jr, Neil Armstrong, Babe Ruth and a bunch more. I think it is obvious we are homeschoolers when you hear my dd pipe up from the back of the van asking me to turn up the volume so she can hear Dwight Eisenhower's farewell address. If I thought the looks I got for listening to audio books were funny you should have seen them today.

ANyway, it got me wondering what other's are currently listening to in their vehicles when driving around. I assume we are not the only ones who tend to listen to books and now speeches, but perhaps I am wrong.

CBC Radio 1 is on in the kitchen all the time. I mean all. the. time. My favourite shows are "Ideas," "Quirks and Quarks," "Writers and Company," and "The Debaters." I might also have a mini-crush on Jian Ghomeshi.

Edited by Audrey

Well, LOL, we don't typically drive around with our windows down so I'm hoping ours can't be heard. I don't really look around to see if we're getting looks (wonder if I should)? Right now, we're studying the Middle Ages, so since school started, we've been listening to Gregorian Chants, a CD called Flavor of India, and this week, Story of Arabic Song. We do listen to books on tape, too! We just haven't gotten to any of those yet this year.

Guest RecumbentHeart

When the children are in the car .. which is the only time I'm in there it seems .. we usually playing their CDs which I can't remember the artist of but the songs are based on the ten commandments and the same catechism being learned during Bible lesson so it's great and fun reinforcement.

I imagine it might get some funny looks when you pull up somewhere blaring out admonishments to not commit adultery.

• 7 months later...
The only (only!) thing that stopped my sons from crying when they were babies were Beastie Boys cds. I'm gonna start giving those cds out at baby showers.

Too funny! The only thing that stopped my oldest from crying was Vince Gill! Go figure.....