Menu

plastic surgery.....

BUT, the thing that REALLY bothers me is my eyes. About 2 - 3 months after bringing my mother home, YES I was totally and completely exhausted. Everyone I knew told me I looked exhausted. Dh's friends commented to him about how tired I looked. Everyone was concerned.

EVERYONE tells me how tired I look. I'm guessing these bags are here to stay. I think they'd be gone by now because I'm definitely sleeping well.

I heard the same thing after my mom died. Family was concerned because I looked bad. I was weak, and fragile and old. I lost 30 lbs. It took at least six months before I started looking half alive and a year before I was even close to my old self yet. Give yourself time. :grouphug:

I heard the same thing after my mom died. Family was concerned because I looked bad. I was weak, and fragile and old. I lost 30 lbs. It took at least six months before I started looking half alive and a year before I was even close to my old self yet. Give yourself time. :grouphug:

NO FAIR!!!! I want to lose 30 pounds!

Thanks for this response. There's still hope!!!

I see it all as a continuum. On one end are the ppl who feel the necessity of wearing makeup whenever they go out of the house or have to have the latest fashion/handbags, etc. to the other end of the spectrum of those who choose to have elective surgery to enhance their appearance. In between are the likes of hair and teeth coloring. Most of us are vain to some degree (I color my hair b/c I'm 47 w/a 5 year old and don't want to be called her grandmother), yet I rarely wear makeup or do my nails. I don't view anyone who has had elective surgery any differently than someone who can't go out of the house w/o makeup.

I do think it is harmful to our daughters to go to these extremes and will probably never have surgery.

Laura

For me, my BooKs (do I have that right?) have deflated and flown down south to take up permanent residence.

I can (sadly) relate. Mine are heading south at such an alarming rate that I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I can toss out my bras and just tuck 'em neatly into the waistband of my pants.....:glare:

In answer to the op, no, I probably wouldn't consider plastic surgery, but, it's fine with me if someone else feels compelled to go that route.

I had electivish surgery on one foot. It was considered plastic surgery, but it was to repair shifting in the bones throughout my foot. It was ex.cru.cia.ting. Now, I have one "good" foot that is incredibly sensitive to everything and one "bad foot" that kills me in bad weather, but at least when I stub those toes it doesn't feel like I've shattered every bone.

I might. One day. Consider. Getting my "bad" foot "fixed," but that's it for me. Surgery hurts, period, and scars are not pretty, and these things, imo/ime, never turn out the way the people hoped they would. So, probably not.

I see it all as a continuum. On one end are the ppl who feel the necessity of wearing makeup whenever they go out of the house or have to have the latest fashion/handbags, etc. to the other end of the spectrum of those who choose to have elective surgery to enhance their appearance. In between are the likes of hair and teeth coloring.

Laura

I think you are right on. It's all vanity really... on the two ends lie the extremes.

I think that plastic surgery is okay for people who really NEED it. Those who have had an injury that deformed them, someone born with some sort of deformity, someone burned, someone needing it done for something that is hurting them (such as a breast reduction, etc). But for purely vain reasons, I do not agree with it. I have VERY small breasts....but God gave me those very small breasts and I'm going to wear them with pride. They nursed my children, that's all that matters.

Best money I ever spent. :D

Oh I am so tired, I just read "Breast money I ever spent":lol:

I haven't had it, but I look at that stupid bellyfat of mine sometimes and wish.

I will say that I had reconstructive surgery done on my youngest, she was burned and almost one side of her head had no hair, so they tissue expanders and after two surgeries has a full head of hair. She had over 250 stitches!

Did I have to do it, no, but she wanted the surgery and wanted to look like everyone else who had hair.

It doesn't bother me if people have plastic surgery, but I do wonder about some of the over the top people who keep having it and don't really even look like a normal person anymore (like that wealth Catwoman in NYork)

Personally I think if it makes someone happy, then fine.

I do think it is harmful to our daughters to go to these extremes and will probably never have surgery.

I think it is harmful to our daughters to have an attitude that it is somehow more virtuous to be "as-is." "As is" is great. Fine, if you are okay with yourself. But, if there is a high-horse involved in being "as-is," I think that is worse in the long run. I know people who spend LOTS more time and money shopping for stylish clothes, getting their hair and nails done, etc. than I do, for instance. Does it make me a better mother because I model for my daughter that those things aren't that important to me? I don't think so.

I think you are right on. It's all vanity really... on the two ends lie the extremes.

Sure, it is all vanity. But that word actually means "empty," not narcissistic. In the end, many things we do are in vain, but we are walking a fine line when we decide what is vanity for others IMHO. Ultimately our worth is in our eternal souls, of course- and absolutely EVERYTHING else could be considered vanity! If my daughter learned anything from my experience, I think it would be compassion for those who have struggles, and being brave enough to make decisions that may get you judged and ostracized by small-minded people.

Haven't read the other responses yet, but I remember reading in my Glamour magazine a year or so ago, that breast implants aren't supposed to last forever. You're supposed to replace them every 5 (?) or 7 (?) years. Something like that.

So, unless you're ready (and have the money) to do this surgery again and again...you need to be careful. What happens if you need to replace the implant in 7 years and can't really afford it? You're in trouble!

The article was very good (in Glamour) about all the complications. The writer seemed to fall on the side of NOT having these surgeries done. They're a lot more complicated and risky than people think they are.

Here's a topic: Plastic surgery....discuss.

A friend of mine recently told me she's planning on updating her "BooKs." (and increasing the volume of them.) I'm not sure what to think of it. Sure, I've always kidded, "Oh, I'd love to do that..." but I'm not sure if I'd ever go through with it.

So...any thoughts? Should we just let nature takes it's (gravitational)course, or should we fight it? Are we messing with God's plan? Do you think differently of someone who has undergone botox, facelift, or some other kind of enhancement? Would you ever do it?

Just curious....

(please, let's keep it respectful, hivers.)

JMNSHO, elective cosmetic surgery is gross. If you've been disfigured or have a defect, it can be a wonderful thing.

I think it's sad that women get obsessed with warped body images and then get sliced and diced trying to conform to that.

Haven't read the other responses yet, but I remember reading in my Glamour magazine a year or so ago, that breast implants aren't supposed to last forever. You're supposed to replace them every 5 (?) or 7 (?) years. Something like that.

So, unless you're ready (and have the money) to do this surgery again and again...you need to be careful. What happens if you need to replace the implant in 7 years and can't really afford it? You're in trouble!

The article was very good (in Glamour) about all the complications. The writer seemed to fall on the side of NOT having these surgeries done. They're a lot more complicated and risky than people think they are.

Are you serious?? I could have sworn that I just read that they are meant to last a long time and NOT be replaced :confused:

I know because... (and I have not read through all responses yet)

I have researching. I was seriously just about to come ask if anyone had any plastic surgery and if they wouldn't mind sharing their experience, because I was considering getting breast augmentation.

If anyone would like to chime in, and it's not too personal, I am interested in the full process - how you came to the decision to have the surgery, how you found a dr, what was your surgery like? what was your recovery like? did you wish you didn't do it for any reason?

It's a very tough decision to make. I will probably end up NOT doing it (scared of surgery, scared of something going wrong or not liking the outcome), but, like the braces I have on now, I would probably love the end results.:D

I don't think any less of someone who's had plastic surgery, it's none of my business. But I would never get it done myself and I would try to gently dissuade my loved ones if they were thinking about it. Part of growing old are the droops, sags and spots, they are badges of a life lived, not something to be ashamed of.

I'm consistent, it's probably safe to say. I don't care for elective cosmetic surgery (liposuction, implants, face lifts, or anything else), hair dyeing, makeup, tattoos, body piercing, and so forth. I am who I am physically, although valuing and working toward better physical health I definitely consider a responsibility. My character is what I struggle to overhaul. Other people set their own hierarchy of values, and of course I don't interfere. (unless the person is one of my minor children !)

"JMNSHO, elective cosmetic surgery is gross. If you've been disfigured or have a defect, it can be a wonderful thing.

I think it's sad that women get obsessed with warped body images and then get sliced and diced trying to conform to that."

I wish I could rep you for that post!

Is it elective cosmetic surgery to have one's books reduced?

I have been pondering having it done for a long time, but I want to wait until I'm done having kids/ nursing.

I'm a 36 L.

A friend had a reduction because her size caused terrible back pain. And it was covered by her insurance. It may be "elective", but there's also a medical reason to have it done.

So...any thoughts? Should we just let nature takes it's (gravitational)course, or should we fight it? Are we messing with God's plan? Do you think differently of someone who has undergone botox, facelift, or some other kind of enhancement? Would you ever do it?

I'm all for nature doing her thing. I wouldn't have elective cosmetic surgery, no. I did have braces as a teen, though, so maybe I'm a hypocrite :D except I never did use that retainer so the teeth are back to being crooked. That was money and time-deprived-of-gum well spent!

I'll be honest - I DO think differently of people who ahve undergone unnecessary enhancement. Not necessarily any better or worse, honestly it depends on the person and the circumstances, but yes. It's something I always think about when I see the person, sort of like THAT is what I sum them up to be once I've found out (A fault I'm working through.)

I live in a very plastic-y, 14 year olds getting rhinoplasty and 16 year olds getting bewb jobs (girls) or calf implants (boys) kind of town though. So the young ages at which parents okay this sort of thing kind of colors my bias towards plastic surgery in general. Plus all of my inlaws, including my husband, have had these types of surgeries done. They get the social approval they were craving, which boosts their emotional health so I guess there is some merit (to them, however sad that is to me).

But for me and mine? No thanks. I'm perfectly imperfect :D

Before I had kids, my bookshelves were...empty. I wished for larger bookshelves then. Now, I'm missing the tiny shelves. I would love to have them fixed but I couldn't stomach the cost. I really would love a tummy tuck as well. Dh had gastic bypass surgery last year. He's lost around 150 lbs. When he's done losing weight, HE gets a free tummy tuck:glare:

I did have my books picked up after I was finished having babies. I did not get them bigger than they were before, just had enough implants to put them back where they were supposed to be. That was 10 years ago and I am glad I did it.

The surgery itself was not a big deal, but there was more pain afterwards than I expected. The pain and swelling only lasted about a week and was manageable.

I found a doctor through referrals from friends. I have never regretted my decision.

I would very much like to keep my books on a higher shelf, and was seriously contemplating having it done.

I'd also like a tummy tuck. I have strong abdominal muscles and I'm fairly close to my goal weight, but the sag just isn't going to go away!

And I want these things done for *me*, mostly so I can feel more comfortable in clothes. Jeans that fit my tummy sag on my butt and jeans that fit my butt pinch my tummy @@. And I'm a huge fan of tank tops.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever do it. Anesthesia and morphine make me terribly sick!

I did have my books picked up after I was finished having babies. I did not get them bigger than they were before, just had enough implants to put them back where they were supposed to be. That was 10 years ago and I am glad I did it.

The surgery itself was not a big deal, but there was more pain afterwards than I expected. The pain and swelling only lasted about a week and was manageable.

I found a doctor through referrals from friends. I have never regretted my decision.

Thanks for being brave enough to share this (although you shouldn't have to be brave...but it's a big deal to put yourself "out there" these days!)

I know there LOTS of women who think about doing this, and it is nice to hear from someone who has actually gone through it.

You know what I find most interesting about this thread....that so many people want what they don't have. The ones with "bigger" girls want smaller ones, those with "smaller" girls want bigger ones. Some people don't care at all about the "girls" but are bothered by their arms, tummy, eyes, etc... I think maybe we're all so worried about our own issues we don't even notice anyone else "shortcomings," until they decide to do something about it. Then we're all, "OMG! Can you believe she did that?"

(and we haven't even talked about hair!...the straight want curly...the thick ones want thin, etc....)

Wouldn't it be great if we could just share the things we have too much of..."How about I give you half of my DD's, then your A's and my DD's will both be nice, perky C's."

Ok, back from Fantasyland.

I did have my "books" done. I had them made bigger. After my ds they deflated into total oblivion and one was slightly bigger than the other. I just felt really bad about my appearance.

So I really researched it and found a very wonderful doctor who really made me feel comfortable with the surgery. I opted for a very modest small C. Obviously I remember nothing of the surgery but the recover was rough yes. It was a very painful probably 4 days where I did not even want to move out of the bed.

It was a lot of money yes, but it went a long way to make me feel more confident about myself. Most people have no idea and those that do know say they would never have guessed they are. I do still think that people take it overboard and I do think that it can be a problem for some who think that it will change their life and make them feel differently about who they really are inside.

And yes, I nursed my dd for the last two years and had zero issue. Just thought I would share my experience.

I had it done also. It was several years before my 3yr old and I happily nursed him longer than either of my older boys. I'm short and "underweight" and when I was flat as a 6yr old, the only clothes that fit were truly in the children's section. For our business we attend several events a year that require formal/blacktie attire and there weren't dresses made for me. I didn't have downward drifting because that would have require some volume, which I didn't have. I only had enough of an implant to make me fit in the clothes made for my size.

I really don't appreciate the generalized statement that anything on the spectrum is for vanity. If vanity does indeed mean empty or if you interpret it like the population as a negative, conceited person neither rightly applies to my motivation.

Like MamaT, outside of the obvious things like my like, family and children, it's the best thing I've ever done. I'm thankful and grateful for it every single day I get dressed (that's most days...LOL) and I'm thankful God gave someone the knowledge to figure out how to get it done.

Oh and yes, it's estimated you'll need to have something redone within 10 years. My stepmother has had hers 20 years with no problems. I've had it 6 years with no problems. Anyone interested in info with someone who's done it is more than welcome to PM me.

I'm also thankful for everyone who is sharing!

I want to reiterate that I do not look at my eye bags as vanity issues, I look at them as scars. They appeared during the most excruciatingly stressful time in my entire life and they remain 2 months after the stress is relieved. Again, I do look at them as scars and I do not think I'm vain. But if others want to think I am, so be it. If I do decide to have them taken care of, I will do it proudly.