Menu

If you are loyal to a boxed/prepack. curr.

elfinbaby

I would like to know what it is:) Let's just say I'm fatigued and would like to be wowed so I can stop driving myself crazy. I am most familiar w/SL having some experience w/Core 1+2. Unfortunately, I didn't like it. There was no flow. It felt like we were reading 1-3 pages from 5 different books and calling it history. Every time ds was getting into the topic, we had to cut it off and move to the next resource. It just felt like a lot of stop and go.

What's out there? SL, TOG, WP, MFW are the ones I've been looking at. I'd like to find something I can stay loyal to (unless my needs change). Philosophically I believe that mastering the 3 R's is the goal of the grammar stage along with creating a love for learning. I also want my chidren to have a general idea of American/World History by the time they reach 7th. I love good books and would like to have a program that incorporated read alouds/readers.

Is this order too tall? I'm sure it is and we're all individuals w/different kids and preferences. I'm just tired. I'm so busy trying to do everything that nothing ends up getting done so I think I'd be better off following a guide.

We use Heart of Dakota and LOVE it. It is not ALL boxed - we use CLE for LA and math, but HOD for the rest. We are really enjoying both levels we are using this year.

:iagree: HOD actually sounds like it will give you what you are looking for! You CAN use your own math and LA but even that is planned in there if you want to use the programs they use. (They use Singapore Math and R&S english so even that is very solid).

We use Heart of Dakota and LOVE it. It is not ALL boxed - we use CLE for LA and math, but HOD for the rest. We are really enjoying both levels we are using this year.

Ditto here. L.O.V.E. it. And I used Singapore and R&S but have recently moved into CLE Math and now I don't like R&S anymore and am ordering CLE Lang Arts. (Anything else I can copy from you Rebecca?:tongue_smilie:) But those are plug ins to HoD anyways. We are doing Preparing Hearts this year and it's a world history overview. So far I love the resources and the amount of independence it offers.

Good luck!

As a newbie HSer, I find comfort in the boxed curriculum!! I need everything laid out for me!

We are using Horizons Reading/Phonics K and Singapore Math EB K. Also I bought Horizons Preschool and we are using the for Bible and arts/crafts. I really like Horizons stuff. I also use Critical Thinking Company books but as a supplement.

Another vote for MFW. I left it for a year and am thankfully back to it. :001_smile: There is no perfect boxed curriculum but I am very satisfied with MFW. It has a great blend of everything, is well balanced (sometimes history takes over in the other curriculum I was doing) and it is very doable. Love it!

Stacey

Philosophically I believe that mastering the 3 R's is the goal of the grammar stage along with creating a love for learning. I also want my chidren to have a general idea of American/World History by the time they reach 7th. I love good books and would like to have a program that incorporated read alouds/readers.

Is this order too tall?

You didn't say what book you tried that you thought was corny. HOD uses so many books, I can't imagine anyone would love every book. Well, I could imagine myself loving every book :001_smile:. But, based on what you are asking about here, I'd say you shouldn't rule HOD out based on a book or even a few books. HOD is way more than just a few books.

But, nope, it's not too tall of an order. HOD is very strong in the 3 R's. With Rod & Staff English and Singapore Math, I can't imagine one would think that the foundation was being skimped on. I have used SL, MFW, followed TWTM for awhile, have also tried WinterPromise and Ambleside Online. I am now a HOD convert. I love the LA especially. My children are happier than they have ever been. They love the living books, the Bible lessons, the projects, the notebooking, everything. My oldest son is even excited to complete and turn in his written narrations and his research projects. He never wanted to do any written work before. He's only a month or so into Preparing and his notebook is quickly filling up. As I'm writing, he is laughing as he's working on his science notebook page. He has barely ever tried to draw before and now he is doing illustrations for his notebook (and in his freetime) almost every day!

We just love HOD! I am thrilled to have found something that works so well for us and something that we can stick with through middle school, possibly even high school as there are plenty of HOD moms praying about that.

Edited by Donna T.

The easiest way for me to sum it up is simply to copy and paste a review of MFW that I typed a couple of years... everything in that review is still true, except that we've used more programs since then, and my children are older. ;) Oh, and I've since figured out the scheduling aspect a little better, too. (Our children's age gaps threw me for a loop for some time there.) Admittedly, I have tried other curriculums since finding MFW, but I always go back to MFW. We'll be staying with them through high school.

Meanwhile, if you're interested, here's a link to some of their conference CD's that help explain their philosophy and overall goals and workings of the curriculum, why they do what they do, etc. Listening to a couple of these CD's might help you decide if MFW is for you or not... especially since you're thinking long term. http://www.mfwbooks.com/workshops.htm

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 08, 2007
  • Grades Used: Multiple
  • Dates used: since 2005

I have three children with which I use My Father's World, who are currently ages 11, 8 and 4. We've done the Adventures program, which is a fun, one-year overview of American history and the 50 states for approximately 2nd & 3rd graders, though other ages can participate and learn something, too. I've used bits of the Kindergarten program for my 4yo's preschool, but we'll be doing it in completion this coming year after she turns 5. We're currently doing Rome to Reformation and will continue with ECC (Exploring Countries & Cultures) after completing RtR.

I'm posting this review because so many people have asked questions like "What's so great about MFW?" Well, I have lots to say about why I think it's so great! And I even left out some... but here goes....

-- The TM is sooooo easy to follow. The hard work is done for me... a daily/weekly schedule in the format of a grid or chart so I can just go down the list each day and do the next thing... this is the closest I've ever found to a "traditional" method of schooling as far as being prepared and doing the next thing, and yet it's in the form of a unit study using *some* textbooks for reference materials and *many* living books. And the supply lists... there is a year-long complete supply list at the beginning of the TM, and then there are weekly supply lists (and a list of photocopying to be done from the Appendix for that week) for those last minute extras that you need to check on, so no surprises when the day arrives unless you didn't look in advance at the TM at ALL. The teacher's notes are very helpful with additional scripture, historical notes, etc. which are for *my* benefit... and yet they're not ridiculously detailed or confusing. Really, the way the TM is laid out makes it all VERY do-able. I wouldn't be doing a unit study at all if it weren't for the TM.

-- The experience behind the curriculum... Marie Hazell is a certified teacher (also with speech pathology training) who has taught in the classroom, as well as homeschooling her own 6 children. Her dh is a very involved at-home dad who's done the full time schooling at different times as well, so when he attends the conferences and gives these talks, he really knows what he's talking about. He walks the talk.

And along the lines of experience, there is the fact that they were missionaries in Russia for 8 years, had several children while there, witnessed many different methods of learning (both "life skills" and academics), and they know what it's like to do "without"... as well as having studied language in-depth (they work with Bible translation). They obviously have a heart for missions, which is a key component of all their programs. (This is the focus of their ECC - Exploring Countries & Cultures - program, as well.)

-- The philosophy and biblical worldview that the Hazell's have integrated into the curriculum. See above re: missions and Bible translation. For my dh and I, it's very important that we choose materials that teach the same worldview we hold, as ALL books/curriculum are going to teach (directly or indirectly) *someone's* worldview. We agree almost 100% with the Hazell's life, training, teaching, and child rearing philosophies... or at least what we know about it. (We've listened to many of their conference CDs and also talked with David in person at convention, and met one (now two) of their children.)

-- The book choices, both in the packages you buy and in the Book Basket list inside the TM. They meet our family's "standards". The author (and/or her family) have pre-read every single book listed, and included notes about any that might be objectionable to some families. This saves me a lot of time and worry when choosing books.

-- Their encouragement to use the library. You don't find many curriculum authors/publishers who want you to use the LIBRARY (free) instead of BUYING an astronomical amount of books from them which are "required" to make it work. I appreciate this. They've pared down the "required" books to be purchased in order to save money, and then provided the Book Basket list to add enrichment as the parent is able and willing. These extra books can either be obtained from the library or purchased separately if you prefer to own them. But I warn you... you won't be able to purchase ALL the books on the list because there are up to 400 books listed inside each TM! However, the author does note which ones are her favorites that, in her opinion, should be purchased if you have to pick and choose.

-- The cost. I avoided MFW for a few years because I would look at the catalog/flyer and see the complete package cost and freak out. But later, when I really started investigating and comparing it to other "complete" literature-rich programs, I realized that MFW isn't that expensive at all. Especially when those same materials are used with multiple children.

-- The Charlotte Mason "short lessons" principle. The Hazell's have set up the lesson plans to accommodate this so that we can get on to other activities and ministries later in the day. I can choose to drag it out and spend more time with something, or stick closely to the recommended times in the TM and be (mostly or completely) done by noon.

-- The family focus. MFW is written to be family-inclusive, not neglecting anyone. Everyone gets a turn, and the curriculum "grows" with the family as each level is more in-depth and advanced than the previous. Anything a younger child doesn't completely "get" will have opportunity to do and understand it better when they're older. You "teach to the oldest", with the exception of K and 1st which are designed to meet those individual early levels of learning to read, understanding basic math concepts, and discovering that the Word of God is the foundation for all of life and learning.

-- The fact that we get all subjects COVERED! Because I can easily follow the TM, and there are reminders to DO math and LA, music and art, read-alouds and extra reading, science experiments, nature walks, etc., and the instructions for notebooking, it actually happens! I failed miserably in being able to complete everything before doing MFW, and notebooking was something I always WANTED to do but could never make happen. Now, it happens. If we skip something, it's because I *chose* to, not because we ran out of time or just forgot.

Admittedly, I've had a little trouble figuring out just how to schedule MFW into *our* world/home/lifestyle. As with all things, there's a learning curve. I tried following their suggested schedule to the letter and felt rushed, so then I tried it *my* way... taking more time with each child and subject... and found myself back in the same rut I'd always spun in before of not being able to accomplish everything. I think that for *me*, there's a balance between rushing 20-minute lessons and dragging it out all day. BUT, I know that if we have something else planned that day, we can stick to the TM like glue and do it exactly as written without having to stress my brain to figure out *how* or *when*, or ending up aggravated because I couldn't figure it out and so therefore didn't do it at all.

There are MANY reasons we love MFW. If you can't get to a homeschool conference where someone from MFW will be speaking, I highly recommend getting a couple of the conference CDs to hear both the "method to their madness", and the HEART behind the curriculum.

I would like to know what it is:) Let's just say I'm fatigued and would like to be wowed so I can stop driving myself crazy. I am most familiar w/SL having some experience w/Core 1+2. Unfortunately, I didn't like it. There was no flow. It felt like we were reading 1-3 pages from 5 different books and calling it history. Every time ds was getting into the topic, we had to cut it off and move to the next resource. It just felt like a lot of stop and go.

I know the feeling. This is the way HOD felt to me. We would read a bit in a book and then stop and then the next day we would read a few pages in a book and then back to the first book.

What's out there? SL, TOG, WP, MFW are the ones I've been looking at. I'd like to find something I can stay loyal to (unless my needs change). Philosophically I believe that mastering the 3 R's is the goal of the grammar stage along with creating a love for learning. I also want my chidren to have a general idea of American/World History by the time they reach 7th. I love good books and would like to have a program that incorporated read alouds/readers.

I have actually switched to Christian Liberty Press. They have a lot of good history readers that tell history in a fun way. These are the readers not the texts. I like the texts as well, but the readers are really great.

Is this order too tall? I'm sure it is and we're all individuals w/different kids and preferences. I'm just tired. I'm so busy trying to do everything that nothing ends up getting done so I think I'd be better off following a guide.

We switched to a more text approach with History and Science for now. I couldn't really feel like we were doing much more than spinning our wheels the other way. I am still using Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons though and going through a Lit. study for reading that has a great list of books and activities. It gives me the best of both worlds to mix and match our subjects with traditional and not so traditional.

I forgot about HOD. I tried to use the first book with dd and it was just too corny. I didn't like it at all. I'm printing off the sample pages of the book dd would be in next year right now to have a look so maybe the other books are different. We'll see.

Thanks!

I tried 3 different guides and found the activities all seemed young for the age ranges of the guides. So I can totally relate to the corny comment.

I tried 3 different guides and found the activities all seemed young for the age ranges of the guides. So I can totally relate to the corny comment.

I do feel like HOD is a "soft option" for the recommended ages--but their LHFHG looks perfect for my 4-year-old :D. I would be disappointed if I had a 1st grader and tried it, but researching to get the level they really need rather than following their suggested age guides should help the too "young" activities.

I do feel like HOD is a "soft option" for the recommended ages--but their LHFHG looks perfect for my 4-year-old :D. I would be disappointed if I had a 1st grader and tried it, but researching to get the level they really need rather than following their suggested age guides should help the too "young" activities.

I have a very mature 7 year old son who is reading well and a math whiz. He loves LHFHG. He loves the activities and we don't find them to be too young at all. He loves that he can work on them by himself and follow them through to completion. He never gets frustrated, just enjoys everything. He usually does the projects at the kitchen table while I wash dishes or prepare lunch. I'm not trying to be disagreeable :001_smile:. I just want to point out that it can be a great option even for a child who is reading and who is capable of more volume. He loves being able to read the books with me and frequently thinks of fun things to do in addition to the assignments... like making puppets of the characters in the books and acting the stories out, copying lines of the rhymes for copywork, and reading the Bible stories directly from the Bible after reading it from the Bible Story Book.

He just loves it! We read tons of books that aren't scheduled in LHFHG, but I guess all homeschool moms are doing that, regardless to what curriculum they use. Also, there are supplemental books in the back of the IG to add more content to LHFHG. We get books from the library on the science topics and do additional activities that we think of ourselves. I don't really consider any of that to be "extra" because I've always done that with whatever curriculum we are using.

Little Hearts is child-like and very sweet, but some children still like that at 6 or 7. I love that he is never worn out. He always wants more Little Hearts. I chose it rather than Beyond or Bigger because I wanted him to have a year with lots of Bible and a World History overview. He is really growing spiritually through the character training, too. It's just been a perfect fit for him.

Edited by Donna T.

I have a very mature 7 year old son who is reading well and a math whiz. He loves LHFHG. He loves the activities and we don't find them to be too young at all. He loves that he can work on them by himself and follow them through to completion. He never gets frustrated, just enjoys everything. He usually does the projects at the kitchen table while I wash dishes or prepare lunch. I'm not trying to be disagreeable :001_smile:. I just want to point out that it can be a great option even for a child who is reading and who is capable of more volume. He loves being able to read the books with me and frequently thinks of fun things to do in addition to the assignments... like making puppets of the characters in the books and acting the stories out, copying lines of the rhymes for copywork, and reading the Bible stories directly from the Bible after reading it from the Bible Story Book.

He just loves it! We read tons of books that aren't scheduled in LHFHG, but I guess all homeschool moms are doing that, regardless to what curriculum they use. Also, there are supplemental books in the back of the IG to add more content to LHFHG. We get books from the library on the science topics and do additional activities that we think of ourselves. I don't really consider any of that to be "extra" because I've always done that with whatever curriculum we are using.

Little Hearts is child-like and very sweet, but some children still like that at 6 or 7. I love that he is never worn out. He always wants more Little Hearts. I chose it rather than Beyond or Bigger because I wanted him to have a year with lots of Bible and a World History overview. He is really growing spiritually through the character training, too. It's just been a perfect fit for him.

:iagree::iagree: Many of us must think it's too childish when in fact, it's just right for the ages of our kids! I think many of us have found it too childish b/c we are so used to the textbook type curriculum that doesn't cater to a child's mind whatsoever. HOD was rather refreshing in my mind. It grows up rather quickly as it progresses in the older guides and you'll find it bumps up a notch to cater to their growing minds and intellect! The previous guides build up to it in a very balanced, solid way that is fun and builds up a love for learning.

I had my very bright/gifted 2nd grader in Beyond. She LOVED all the activities and the fact she could do much of it independently was a plus for us both.

Make sure you are placing by not only age, but ability within the placement chart. Age is a big factor though.

I feel like I need to apologize to all of you HODers. Thank you for responding to my thread. I appreciate it. I felt like my corny comment was inconsiderate since you took the time to post.

On that note:) - my experience w/HOD was from the first guide for pre-K. The rhymes, songs, and fingerplays were weird, awkward and, yes, corny. I kept trying to make them work but never found the right rhythm. Maybe I'm the one that's awkward:D Since I'm not in a rush to make a decision about this, I will continue to check out their website.

Does anyone remember that thread a little while back about "open and go" curriculums? I'm searching for it but can't find it.

Thanks to all.

I feel like I need to apologize to all of you HODers. Thank you for responding to my thread. I appreciate it. I felt like my corny comment was inconsiderate since you took the time to post.

Aw, you are so sweet! You didn't sound inconsiderate. I thought I'd find the rhymes corny myself but since my son just loves them, well, I'm happy.

I hope you find what you are looking for! As I said before, I've used MFW, SL, WinterPromise (just one year of WP) and they are all good. It's just finding what clicks with you and your children.

Have you considered mixing and matching just a little? Someone mentioned using MFW and adding in readers from WP, instead of doing the library and a bookbasket. I think this is a great idea.

Just FYI, We are loving the SL readers. I love that the schedule includes comprehension questions and mapwork. I love that DD will be learning lessons and reading good literature. I intend to continue with SL readers from now on. We tried the history and read alouds and it didn't work for us. I think that there are two reasons for that: DD is a visual learner. She hates read alouds unless there are a lot of pictures. It takes too much time, as the three R's are a big priority for me and I tend to want to unschool the rest.

POLL: If you had to pick one literature based curriculum, which would it be...

Just for fun-which box curriculum or online all-in-one would you use if you had to?

I don't know what I answered, but right now if I wanted to make things simpler, I would go with Core Knowledge. I have found with SL and WP that they aren't much simpler. Pulling out 5 books and reading a bit from each, using their schedules... it just doesn't help me much. I can do that on my own. I guess I prefer a more scripted program with a different format.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

:iagree::iagree: Many of us must think it's too childish when in fact, it's just right for the ages of our kids! I think many of us have found it too childish b/c we are so used to the textbook type curriculum that doesn't cater to a child's mind whatsoever. HOD was rather refreshing in my mind.

I agree with this 100% - I also had the "corny" impression when I first saw LHFHG but once I tried it, the kids LOVED it. I did feel a bit awkward, because it's not "me", but ultimately it was so much fun seeing THEM enjoy it. Then the more I used it the more convinced I was of the quality of this curriculum. It is not for everyone, but for those looking for this type of gentle (but solid), living books style of learning, it is soooo well done.

I see people recommend core knowledge, but when I go to their site, I remain confused. How is it a boxed curriculum?
http://coreknowledge.org/CK/about/FAQ/FAQ_homeschool.htm

Maybe this will help. From reviews, I was under the impression that Core Knowledge had everything that you need. They are saying that they don't, but at the same time their books have reading material, so I am wondering what they are wanting you to add?

As far as instruction for reading, mathematics, spelling, language, and grammar: the Foundation suggests you follow structured and sequential programs (available from other companies.)

Aha! So McRuffy + Core Knowledge would probably work, I am thinking.

They also have these grade packs, but I think that most people who are giving them good reviews only use the one book. Wierd.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I've used BJUP (with videos) from Grades 1-6 and I plan to use it through Grade 12. I do plenty of tweaking and supplementing to make it work for us, but we're all quite happy with it.

My husband is not the kind who could trust a "little bit of this and a little bit of that" kind of curriculum. He needs the assurance that I'm doing something tried and true, on grade level, and proven. BJUP scratches that itch for him.

The most complete Home School Package you could ever want is the A.C.E. or Accelerated Christian Education Pace System for home school teaching. I taught in this curriculum for eight and a half years in brick and motor and this is the same curriculum and it is excellent! It is also unique in that the PACE's are constructed so even a child with Dyslexia can master the materials. Everything is clearly laid out for the teacher day by day and for the student day by day. Order their catalog online for free and browse. My youngest daughter went through the curriculum up to high school and was in the International Bacalaurate Program in public high school. So your child WILL get a good private school education for a fraction of the brick and motor cost in this curriculum. No lesson plans to generate...its all done for you. It travels well, too. It's an amazing Homeschool curriculum. And for those who prefer not to use a Bible based curriculum it can be used for moral values building and ignore any Bible memory verse work. The cost is very affordable per child per year.

I see people recommend core knowledge, but when I go to their site, I remain confused. How is it a boxed curriculum?

Hmm, I not sure about those grade packs. I think those are meant for PS. I have used Core Knowledge, it is a great supplement. It was created to fill in gaps or holes in PS.

You would use it like a spine: you can then jump off into other studies to fill in the rest of the curriculum. If you were to read the whole book to your dc, it may only take a month or two. (if that) So while it is complete, in the fact that is contains every subject, it is far from a complete curriculum.

Have you seen the free worksheets at the website? Some people use those along with other studies to widen it out a bit. Unschoolers like Core Knowledge because they can just touch on the many topics and get a good overview of what their child should know grade by grade. :)

Edited by lovemykids

I am an HOD convert as well, I love it! Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory guide and beyond don't use the fingerplays but rather "real" poetry, so I think you might find it more to your liking, so definitely check out some of those sample pages! :D

First, I'm not trying to diss (sp?) HOD, just give my impression of it, since this mom is looking for feedback.

I got BLHG for my oldest and found the art too corny and the science lacking (I seriously couldn't understand how it was relating and the Key Topics seemed way off from what was being presented). Also, there is a lot of repetition in how you get a child to learn a memory verse...hop on one foot while saying the verse. This is done every week or so (if memory serves well) and I think that would grow old after a short time. I must say though, that I never gave HOD a fair shake in actually using it. I knew that diving into the history they were suggesting just wouldn't interest my son the way something else would for the year and so I sent it onto another mom who's son is a history buff. Oh...and I do have to admit though that I loved the way Carrie has the day broken into those boxes and have tried to incorporate that into our scheduling. We don't cram it all in before lunch, instead we do bits and pieces (nothing longer than 15-20 minutes for the basics and a little longer for once a week science, art, and history) throughout the day with lots of healthy breaks for play.

I have not tried MFW (ummmm....once again I bought it -- MFW K about a year ago --- and found aspects of it very corny too), but after examining my friend's copy of ECC I think it looks fantastic. I might revisit it in a few years.

I do feel that examining EVERY boxed curriculum out there though finally gave me the confidence to just go on my own and buy the books I knew would be of interest to our family for a long time. However, you might find me changing my tune in a year! :tongue_smilie: Good luck!!

First, I'm not trying to diss (sp?) HOD, just give my impression of it, since this mom is looking for feedback.

I got BLHG for my oldest and found the art too corny and the science lacking (I seriously couldn't understand how it was relating and the Key Topics seemed way off from what was being presented). Also, there is a lot of repetition in how you get a child to learn a memory verse...hop on one foot while saying the verse. This is done every week or so (if memory serves well) and I think that would grow old after a short time. I must say though, that I never gave HOD a fair shake in actually using it. I knew that diving into the history they were suggesting just wouldn't interest my son the way something else would for the year and so I sent it onto another mom who's son is a history buff. Oh...and I do have to admit though that I loved the way Carrie has the day broken into those boxes and have tried to incorporate that into our scheduling. We don't cram it all in before lunch, instead we do bits and pieces (nothing longer than 15-20 minutes for the basics and a little longer for once a week science, art, and history) throughout the day with lots of healthy breaks for play.

I have not tried MFW (ummmm....once again I bought it -- MFW K about a year ago --- and found aspects of it very corny too), but after examining my friend's copy of ECC I think it looks fantastic. I might revisit it in a few years.

I do feel that examining EVERY boxed curriculum out there though finally gave me the confidence to just go on my own and buy the books I knew would be of interest to our family for a long time. However, you might find me changing my tune in a year! :tongue_smilie: Good luck!!

Earth Angel,

I agree that the science is light in Beyond and a good point to bring up. For our situation at this age I am focusing more on phonics (which both of my boys need more practice in) that I am not quite as concerned about science, and science is easy to beef up when I need to.They do like to listen in on "Exploring Creation with Astronomy" when I read it to their sister and love to explore nature and look at the all sorts of field guides and bug books so they are getting extra science in.

I also haven't noticed the hopping etc in Beyond as there was was Little Hearts (but so far we are only in week 4) but she does has them making up hand motions....my boys aren't crazy about this so we just skip it.

:D

Guest sarathan

Another HOD lover here! :D After a year of MFW, I really thought that any kind of boxed/pre-packaged curriculum just wasn't for me. But then I bought HOD's Little Hearts for His Glory basically on a whim and it's going great! I'm planning on sticking with HOD in the future.

Also, I do agree that some of the activities are a little corny, or at least they seem kind of corny to me. But both of my boys are enjoying them for the most part, so it's not a deal breaker for me.

Also, there is a lot of repetition in how you get a child to learn a memory verse...hop on one foot while saying the verse. This is done every week or so (if memory serves well) and I think that would grow old after a short time.

I also haven't noticed the hopping etc in Beyond as there was was Little Hearts (but so far we are only in week 4) but she does has them making up hand motions....my boys aren't crazy about this so we just skip it.

I take it back...we were supposed to do windmills today with the memory verse. :lol: My boys loved it though. :D

I have enjoyed this discussion immensely.

I have to admit that I keep hearing great things about HOD, then checking out the samples for the umpteenth time, and then getting turned off by how corny they seem. (Just looking at the first two levels.) I am somewhat glad that I am not the only one.

For those of you who have shared this concern, did you get over it? If so, how? Did things improve once you actually got into the curriculum?

I do love Singapore Math and Rod & Staff for grammar, so the fact that these two things are scheduled is a HUGE plus for me.

I truly want to like HOD, really I do, but I can't get past the corny factor. Not trying to be mean or catty here . . . I really want to like the program.

Guest sarathan

I have to admit that I keep hearing great things about HOD, then checking out the samples for the umpteenth time, and then getting turned off by how corny they seem. (Just looking at the first two levels.) I am somewhat glad that I am not the only one.

For those of you who have shared this concern, did you get over it? If so, how? Did things improve once you actually got into the curriculum?

I do love Singapore Math and Rod & Staff for grammar, so the fact that these two things are scheduled is a HUGE plus for me.

I truly want to like HOD, really I do, but I can't get past the corny factor. Not trying to be mean or catty here . . . I really want to like the program.

I'm using Little Hearts this year with my ds(6). The only part that's kinda "corny" is the Rhymes in Motion part. But he seems to like it okay, so it's not a big deal to me that it's a little babyish. *But* it's just one small part of the program! There's still the history, Bible study, art activities, phonics, math, handwriting, thinking skills, storytime...those are *not* corny IMO. :)

Have you considered mixing and matching just a little? Someone mentioned using MFW and adding in readers from WP, instead of doing the library and a bookbasket. I think this is a great idea.

When we used Adventures in My Father's World, I got really burned out using the book lists in the TM. It's a great list. I just overdid it trying to find all the books and then picking the ones I liked the best. By the end of the year, I was doing way less of that and using books from WP's American Story 1 and a bit of 2 instead. My son loved all those books.

I did find the rhymes in motion and fingerplays corny and we really didn't get over it after using the curriculum. By corny, I mean that they didn't really seem to be useful and often felt forced to try and make them work. They often didn't have a tune to go with the fingerplay and it was often not catchy or easy to spout off the tip of your tongue. The rhymes in motion also seemed to be a little bit hard to carry out and not necessary. The rhymes in motion with LHFHG seemed more like preschool. The art activities were often geared to the young end of the age range and the more we did the more I wished we were just using a separate art program. I started tweaking and adding b/c the activities for the age ranges were so varied and a lot were geared to the youngest age on the age range. We gave up after 3 months and moved on to something else.

Edited by OpenMinded