Menu

Christmas Read Alouds (Yeah, yeah I know it's only September!)

Woodland_Mom

We're going to read "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, which I think will be great because of the movie coming out . We have also loved, " Jotham's Journey" which is read aloud advent celebration and has a great story. We have read the " Christmas in My Heart" books which are a collection of great Christmas Stories - one a day. When my kids were younger I read a different picture book for the two weeks before Christmas and we have enjoyed "An Austin Family Christmas" by Madeleine L'Engle.

If you are doing RTR your family might really enjoy "Jothams Journey" as it will be close to the time frame that you are learning about.

See, there is someone WAY crazier than you. I bought our Christmas read a loud two months ago!:lol:

The Three Christmas Trees by Juliana H. Ewing - we found this in an anthology of hers named Brownies and Other Tales. It is a wonderful Christmas story that we discovered this year. It is set in New England during the colonial period. Ewing is a terrific descriptive writer that we found mentioned in one of Nesbit's books.

Our favorite picture book is Winter's Gift by Jane Monroe Donovan it is about an old man and a horse. It is sweet, and I cry every time. My girls love it.

We read two, The Nutcracker and the Mouse King (from a collection of E.T.A. Hoffman stories) and The Box of Delights by John Masefield. I'm thinking of doing Dumas' version of the Nutcracker this year, but I'm not sure which edition to get.

THis is one you might not think of: The 101 Dalmations--the original, not Disney. One night of the return journey, the pups spend the night in a church, and one of them sits in front of the Nativity all night long. They arrive home on Christmas Eve (or Christmas day...I forget now; guess I need to read it again!)

THis is one you might not think of: The 101 Dalmations--the original, not Disney. One night of the return journey, the pups spend the night in a church, and one of them sits in front of the Nativity all night long. They arrive home on Christmas Eve (or Christmas day...I forget now; guess I need to read it again!)

Interesting! I have wanted to read the book for a while now. I read somewhere that after seeing the Disney film the author, Dodie Smith said she thought Disney had improved on her original story. What did you think?

Last year my family read The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. We also listened to the audio of it - it was very good - the reader is James Earl Jones.

Interesting! I have wanted to read the book for a while now. I read somewhere that after seeing the Disney film the author, Dodie Smith said she thought Disney had improved on her original story. What did you think?

My dc wouldn't let me buy the Disney movie after reading the book. We hated the movie, love the book. Blech.:glare:

Last year my family read The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. We also listened to the audio of it - it was very good - the reader is James Earl Jones.

I much preferred the book. I will say that the movie is fun, but it is so much less satisfying than the book was.

Interesting! I have wanted to read the book for a while now. I read somewhere that after seeing the Disney film the author, Dodie Smith said she thought Disney had improved on her original story. What did you think.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original is the sort of book that I will always buy if I see it in an opshop, even though I have a copy. I keep it in my handbag until I find someone to give it to. Kooky, I know, but I want the world to know that Perdita and Missus were two different dogs. This MATTERS to me!!

:)

Rosie

Cranberry Christmas. by the Devlins

The Night Before Christmas. illustrated by Tasha Tudor

The Polar Express.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

Oooh, I didn't think about picture books. We have an old version of The Night Before Christmas, and we all adore The Jolly Christmas Postman.