Menu

AAAUGH! Please help identify these small white worms - they're everywhere!

My son found one of these on our laminate kitchen floor this morning - and since then we've found 30 - 40 of them! They're tiny (not much longer than a cooked grain of rice), but we are seriously grossed out. They move fairly quickly (kind of like an inchworm) for their size, and I can't find any rhyme or reason to where they came from OR where they're going - I've been sweeping and moving things, and haven't found a source at all. I've found them going every direction, in a span of 25 feet or so.

Any ideas? And if so, any clue how to get rid of them? I do have cats, but these aren't anywhere near the cat stuff . . .

0809-worm.jpg

3i_EYifhFZ4KW2Y_529LJw?authkey=Gv1sRgCN2Dxt2XkuXbjQE&feat=directlink

Huh. I guess I don't know enough about maggots. I've seen them on rotten potatoes, but I've never seen them do anything but squirm around on the rotting food. These are coming from seemingly nowhere, and striking out on their own. Time to read up - because some of those images did look similar!

I had a weird expeieince with these buggers once. I had washed and hung outside my kitchen sink rug. It was outside for a few damp days and then I brought it in. We found these horrid things all over my kitchen floor a few days later and they were coming from under that rug. The rug was crawling with them. I think a fly laid the eggs on it while it was outside. Uhg!! I feel for you.

I had one of these crawl out of my babies diaper years ago. (And yes, I changed him regularly and kept a hygienic house). I took it to the Dr. and she sent it out to the lab for testing. The reply came back, "fly larva". I said, "You mean a maggot!" (They were trying to be pc and not gross me out.) Dh called our baby "Maggot boy" for awhile after that - lovingly of course!

ETA: I never did find out where it came from. And it was just one. Perhaps he had picked it up somewhere?

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Luckily, ours have all been in the garage trash, and when my husband was not deployed so he was home to save me!

(Like I said, I do draw the line at maggots.)

I miss our Alabama and Virginia twice a week trash pickup. When you live somewhere with once a week pickup with no trash cans allowed on the street, inevitably you miss a pickup for a trip or something, maggots then occasionally appear.

I would be just like that mom in the blog post if they were in my kitchen, not fun.

If they are very small, they are probably fruit fly maggots. Sometimes we get them from the compost bucket in the summer.

Also, have your children brought in any nuts from outside? We had maggots from chestnuts the dc brought inside years ago. They were larger than fruit fly, but smaller than house fly maggots.

I agree - gross!

GardenMom

I'd go with maggot, too. A few weeks ago our trash truck (that picks up the cans every week) dumped mine & my neighbor's can and as I was rolling them around the back of the house, I noticed maggots in the bottom of both cans from the trash truck! I quickly dumped & killed them. Maybe the hot & rainy weather helps them flourish...I don't know it's gross. But, looks like that is probably what it is. Have you checked like under your stove, fridge, cabinets for any source of how they are in or food dropped & forgotten about?

We had a similar thing happen years ago a few months after we moved into our house. Everything was nice and clean--we didn't have nearly enough furniture to fill the place yet--and I found these random little white worms crawling around on the wood floor in the dining room. Never did find out where they came from, but AFAIK it was maggots. Never happened again, either.

The other thing that sometimes happens is that a bird/bat/rodent dies under the house or in a crawlspace, and that's where they're coming from. In which case, even if you don't find the source, they won't come back. That happened to me once in an apartment complex, and it creeped me out.

I had worms similar to this a few weeks ago. Mine were from Indian meal moths.

A neighbor brought me all her dog food after their pet passed. I started getting these little moths everywhere. Dh looked up one day and saw tons of the worms crawling along the ceiling in the laundry room. When I started to search one of the bags my neighbor brought was full of 100's of the larvae. I almost threw up! It took me awhile to get rid of the infestation but I finally did it after throwing away all the dog food and getting rid of the extra dry goods I had stored in there. ICK!!!! I feel for you! :grouphug:

A maggot in a diaper - YIKES! That one really gives me the creepy-crawlies!

Now that I've finally finished up school for the day, I'm going on a cleaning rampage! I'm going to check all of the places you have all suggested - because they've got to be coming from somewhere! :001_huh:

LOL! Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee!

I would think about bringing a few chickens inside to fix the problem if we had chickens, I would rather clean chicken poo than little maggoty worms.

Don't be too sure, I had a close encounter with some chicken poo yesterday and it wasn't pretty.

Can you all hear my hysterical, girly scream from where you are?

I had a weird expeieince with these buggers once. I had washed and hung outside my kitchen sink rug. It was outside for a few damp days and then I brought it in. We found these horrid things all over my kitchen floor a few days later and they were coming from under that rug. The rug was crawling with them. I think a fly laid the eggs on it while it was outside. Uhg!! I feel for you.

And now can you hear me sprinting for my backyard, where my own kitchen rug has been hanging for several days, in off-and-on rain? ARGH!

Sounds like maggots to me too.

Any chance they're coming from your ceiling?

We had this:

vaulted panelled cedar ceiling + dead rat in attic = do not serve white rice for a month.

plink, plink, plink

:ack2:

Okay, now I'm even MORE freaked out than before! Going to go stare at my vents for a while . . . :001_unsure:

I had one of these crawl out of my babies diaper years ago. (And yes, I changed him regularly and kept a hygienic house). I took it to the Dr. and she sent it out to the lab for testing. The reply came back, "fly larva". I said, "You mean a maggot!" (They were trying to be pc and not gross me out.) Dh called our baby "Maggot boy" for awhile after that - lovingly of course!

ETA: I never did find out where it came from. And it was just one. Perhaps he had picked it up somewhere?

They're atracted to that stuff, so I would guess it sought out the poo and climbed in. No worries, they only feed off rotting stuff, that's why they're sometimes used by doctors to fend off infection. The maggots will only eat the rotting meat, so the patient is left with only healthy tissue.

Sounds like maggots to me too.

Any chance they're coming from your ceiling?

We had this:

vaulted panelled cedar ceiling + dead rat in attic = do not serve white rice for a month.

plink, plink, plink

:ack2:

Yup. Same thing happened to us, but ours was a dead squirrel. The squirrel had died in an area where the roof came together and couldn't be reached without sawing a hole in part of the roof. The critter control guy said to "let the little guys do their job" and it would be a lot less headache. Apparently, the "little guys" can clean a squirrel carcass pretty quickly! I was still wigging out, as my son was crawling at the time and I refused to let him on the ground, lest he think it WAS rice!

I cleaned up as many as I could, but we still had FLIES about a week after the maggots had dropped from the ceiling. I hung that fly tape up all around the house. The flies were almost worse than the maggots.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It really is gross :blink:.

I've had Indian Meal Moths too and if that is what it is you had better kill them quickly. They ate through the bag of rice and ... I spotted them AFTER I cooked the rice. Let me say they look a lot like cooked rice. :ack2:

Edit: My daughter had an infestation of Indian Meal Moths due to infested bird seed. It took her months to kill them all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Meal_Moth

Edited by PollyOR

Ha! I'll take flies over worms any day. :D

Yes, I'm now convinced it is maggots, after reading this:

http://lsteed.blogspot.com/2006/06/last-sunday-was-lovely.html

Her experience sounds just like mine - other than the fact that I haven't found the source yet. Time to go on the hunt!

!

Check the catbox first. Be prepared for an ugly sight.

Oh EWWWW!!! I detest maggots. One morning years ago I awoke and walked into the kitchen where there were maggots all over the kitchen floor. They were spilling out over the top of the trash can. We must have left some food in the trash can and a fly laid its eggs in there. I took out the trash as quickly as possible and swept up those icky creatures and threw them outside. They I lysoled the floor! Ick!!!

Disgusting.

I had a run-in with maggots today as well. Like a PP we have to keep our trash bin in the garage and my oldest ds tossed two bags of trash on the floor of the garage rather than placing them in the bin. The bags leaked. DH and ds are both out of town so trash duty fell to me this week. I went to put out the trash bin and the garage floor and those two bags were covered with maggots. Eeeewwwww.

I spent the last two hours scrubbing my garage floor where the bags leaked out, then hosing out my garage, then discovering that my garage is not level which led me to sweeping the water out of my garage...

if it's the little moths from your pantry I would check the rice, old cereal or dried mixes like muffin mixes etc. If so, kill everyone you see. clean out the cabinets and toss what you can. If I am not diligent about putting my rice and mixes into the freezer for a couple of weeks I end up with these little critters. Hope you figure it out. I would hate to have it be the squirrel. Ruby

My long stories short while waiting for laundry to finish.

Two years ago we went camping for a whole week. We trash pick up was on Tuesday and we left on a Friday and wasn't due back until the following weekend. I cleared out the fridge and pantry before leaving and we came home to a trash can of creepy crawlies. EWWWW!! To top it off we left a pkg. of hambuger out (if a freezer bag) and all would havebeen find if the dog didn't jump up and get it. Boy did that stink. I think I'd takethe maggots over stinky rotten food.

I have a EWW story and it really happend. A patient had maggots on her arm from where it was infected. Apperently the wound wasn't cleaned or something like that. Just totally totally icky and thank God I wasn't working on that floor when it was discovered.

Thanks again to everyone! The great news is that they were never seen again after the first (shudder) day. I can only assume that means they came from my trash that had been taken out earlier . . . at any rate, I'm glad to see them gone . . . and I may not eat white rice again for a while! :001_huh: :D

Thanks again to everyone! The great news is that they were never seen again after the first (shudder) day. I can only assume that means they came from my trash that had been taken out earlier . . . at any rate, I'm glad to see them gone . . . and I may not eat white rice again for a while! :001_huh: :D

Well that's good news. Just now when I saw your update, I realized I had a dream about this last night! I found little white moths all over the place and then saw a bunch of little white worms, and realized that must have been what the worms were after all, and now I have to clean out all my cabinets. Apparently I've been thinking about your post subconsciously :lol:

• 3 years later...
Guest mamac13

I actually had the same thing and these are smaller than maggots. I looked it up and they're called woodworms

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworm#

http://www.google.com/search?q=woodworm&hl=en&safe=off&client=tablet-android-toshiba&tbo=d&source=android-browser-type&v=141278776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_N1yUPqALMSxyQG_2oG4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=800'>http://www.google.com/search?q=woodworm&hl=en&safe=off&client=tablet-android-toshiba&tbo=d&source=android-browser-type&v=141278776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_N1yUPqALMSxyQG_2oG4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=800'>http://www.google.com/search?q=woodworm&hl=en&safe=off&client=tablet-android-toshiba&tbo=d&source=android-browser-type&v=141278776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_N1yUPqALMSxyQG_2oG4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=800'>http://www.google.com/search?q=woodworm&hl=en&safe=off&client=tablet-android-toshiba&tbo=d&source=android-browser-type&v=141278776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_N1yUPqALMSxyQG_2oG4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=800

http://www.google.com/search?q=woodworm&hl=en&safe=off&client=tablet-android-toshiba&tbo=d&source=android-browser-type&v=141278776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_N1yUPqALMSxyQG_2oG4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=800