Menu

S/O on favorite cookbooks

You know, many cookbooks have what appear to be 'great recipes', but not all recipes taste great. They have wonderful pictures, great instructions, etc., but what good is that if the recipes are not worth the time and effort in trying? I want a cookbook that has recipes that are actually tasty. I really hate spending time and money on a recipe and have the end results be gaggy or completely bland and tasteless. I remember a bread pudding recipe I tried from my Betty Crocker book; it was absolutely disgusting. No one would eat it. I followed the recipe to the T...so it wasn't me, it was a disgusting recipe.

I have lots of cookbooks. Lots. And very, very rarely do I find "keeper" recipes in them. Why IS that? I realize we all have different tastes, and that some people have very simple taste buds and seem to like the bland. But, by-golly, I like FLAVOR. Lots and lots of flavor. Don't give me recipes that are "good for me" if they taste like crap. Give me the lard, the butter, the salt, the sugar....whatever! As long as it's actually worth eating, ya know? ;)No one in my family likes bland tasteless food. We all have very active taste buds. :lol:

Is there actually a cookbook out there that will give me flavorful foods in a simple down to earth fashion, with simple uncomplicated recipes? Is that REALLY too much to ask for? :blink:

If you're like me and like flavorful foods, and could careless about fat content, etc. (though I DO prefer whole foods. I don't want cream of...recipes) do YOU have one favorite cookbook that you use all the time? One that has recipe after recipe that is actually tasty, easy to follow, and worth trying? If so, do share! :D

I usually check cookbooks out of the library before buying them so I can be sure it's worth owning the book. And I've found a couple of cookbook authors whose style I like so I know I'll love their books (Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid). They currently have six cookbooks- one on flatbreads and another on rice, then 4 from various parts of Asia. I personally prefer food from Asia (all parts, from China to Turkey) since it's flavorful. Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid's books are straighforward and they even remember that their readers might have more children than time to cook an elaborate meal.

I'm like you - I want flavorful, delicious food. I'd rather have a bit more butter or cream or cheese and have to walk an extra mile than to have a bland, flavorless, healthy meal.

I have several Cook's Illustrated magazines and haven't had a bad meal yet. :) I was going to buy one of their cookbooks, but I have most of the recipes in my magazine pile. I also like Ina Garten's cookbooks and I've enjoyed everything I've tried in The Barbeque Bible by Stephen Raichlen.

I get many of my recipes from the Food Network website. It's free and I don't feel too bad if something doesn't turn out. Some of my favorites are Emeril's salisbury steak and beef stew, Paula Deen's pot roast, and Giada's Dirty Risotto.

Bon Appetit magazine also has good, flavorful recipes. I checked out some back issues from the library before subscribing. :)

Lots of times it's not the fat content that makes something good, but the spices. Are your spices up to date? Do you use kosher salt and fresh ground pepper? Things like that make a HUGE difference in flavor even with the same recipe.

That said, Paula's not afraid of the fat so try her recipes. Test out a few from www.foodnetwork.com before you buy the cookbook. I have a blog post about my go-to cookbook, the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cook Book, but it's more for the how-to than the flavor.

I think I know a blog you'll love. www.thepioneerwoman.com She has a gorgeous AND delicious cooking section.

(If you like my tips, there's more at my house http://www.theladyathome.wordpress.com )

I will sound like a broken record, but Rachael Ray again! She herself is pretty down to earth and also cooks that way. I have her "Yum-O!" cookbook (has a lot of kid-friendly recipes) and everything I have made in that has been really, well, yum-o! lol :)

I, too, have been very happy with Rachael Ray's cookbooks. I have 365: No Repeats and Just In Time! My family has several favorites from these two books.

I think I know a blog you'll love. www.thepioneerwoman.com She has a gorgeous AND delicious cooking section.

(If you like my tips, there's more at my house http://www.theladyathome.wordpress.com )

I second http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com

I also find most of my really good recipes at http://www.allrecipes.com

Yes, you may end up with some cream of ____________ recipes there, but if a recipe has 300 reviews and 5 stars, it's almost always great!

When I buy cookbooks (have an enormous "working collection"), I avoid those with lavish illustrations, preferring to focus on the text.

Cruel-and-unusual-punishment to ask for only ONE title ! But if forced to comply, I'll submit this title:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Wholefoods-Cuisine-Nikki-Goldbeck/dp/1886101116/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

I bought a copy of this book many years ago. Am on my second copy, because the first one fell to pieces from use.

When I buy cookbooks (have an enormous "working collection"), I avoid those with lavish illustrations, preferring to focus on the text.

Cruel-and-unusual-punishment to ask for only ONE title ! But if forced to comply, I'll submit this title:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Wholefoods-Cuisine-Nikki-Goldbeck/dp/1886101116/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

I bought a copy of this book many years ago. Am on my second copy, because the first one fell to pieces from use.

Do you like this book because you're a vegetarian, or just because it has great recipes...or both! LOL I would love more recipes made without meat. My dh and ds's all LOVE meat though. You should hear them complain when I make meatless spaghetti sauce. It's ridiculous. But, if the meatless food was tasty enough....;) Hmmm, perhaps my library has a copy.

I second http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com

I also find most of my really good recipes at http://www.allrecipes.com

Yes, you may end up with some cream of ____________ recipes there, but if a recipe has 300 reviews and 5 stars, it's almost always great!

I use Allrecipes.com quite often, but I will admit the reviewer's drive me bonkers!!

"Oh this was the VERY BEST Chicken [insert] recipe EVER! All I did was use beef instead of chicken, heavy cream instead of milk, I threw in some onion and garlic to spice it up a bit, halfed the cheese and used cheese whiz for the other half..." UGH! How do you know what they are giving the 5-stars FOR...the original recipe, or their new concotion? :lol: I wish they would separate the reviews and list those who used the recipe 'as-is' and what they thought, and those who decided they knew better and changed it. I get so confuzzled trying to decide how best to proceed: try it as is and hope THAT is the 5 star version, or use the reviewer's substitutions and hope I find the 5 star version. :tongue_smilie:

Both reasons. If the recipes in a cookbook are not good, I don't use that book.

For quite some time now, much of my everyday cooking is with "invented" recipes, because I have used and studied so many of the best-on-market vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, so gradually shifted toward "instinct." I'll always use my books, though, and always enjoy learning new things ! (There's so much to learn !)

My family do eat meat when it's on the church schedule, although never so often as I hear of other families doing. Simple things only. We never serve steak, roast, ribs, or so forth.

Do you like this book because you're a vegetarian, or just because it has great recipes...or both! LOL I would love more recipes made without meat. My dh and ds's all LOVE meat though. You should hear them complain when I make meatless spaghetti sauce. It's ridiculous. But, if the meatless food was tasty enough....;) Hmmm, perhaps my library has a copy.

I LOVE the Light & Tasty Annual Cookbooks from Taste of Home magazines. I had a subscription for 5 years and used the recipes regularly, so I bought the annual cookbooks for 2002-2008 and gave away the magazines.

Certainly there have been some things we haven't liked, but everything I've tried has WORKED, and I've gotten better at knowing what flavors my family likes.

I did not like Taste of Home magazine; too many "heavy" recipes. But Light & Tasty (which is now called "Healthy Cooking" or "Healthy Eating"--can't remember) is great. I use recipes from my annual books weekly.

Betsy

You know, many cookbooks have what appear to be 'great recipes', but not all recipes taste great. They have wonderful pictures, great instructions, etc., but what good is that if the recipes are not worth the time and effort in trying? I want a cookbook that has recipes that are actually tasty. I really hate spending time and money on a recipe and have the end results be gaggy or completely bland and tasteless. I remember a bread pudding recipe I tried from my Betty Crocker book; it was absolutely disgusting. No one would eat it. I followed the recipe to the T...so it wasn't me, it was a disgusting recipe.

I have lots of cookbooks. Lots. And very, very rarely do I find "keeper" recipes in them. Why IS that? I realize we all have different tastes, and that some people have very simple taste buds and seem to like the bland. But, by-golly, I like FLAVOR. Lots and lots of flavor. Don't give me recipes that are "good for me" if they taste like crap. Give me the lard, the butter, the salt, the sugar....whatever! As long as it's actually worth eating, ya know? ;)No one in my family likes bland tasteless food. We all have very active taste buds. :lol:

Is there actually a cookbook out there that will give me flavorful foods in a simple down to earth fashion, with simple uncomplicated recipes? Is that REALLY too much to ask for? :blink:

If you're like me and like flavorful foods, and could careless about fat content, etc. (though I DO prefer whole foods. I don't want cream of...recipes) do YOU have one favorite cookbook that you use all the time? One that has recipe after recipe that is actually tasty, easy to follow, and worth trying? If so, do share! :D

"Country French Cooking" from Sunset

"Beat This"

"Cafe Beaujolais Cookbook"

I have never had a less than tasty recipe from any of these.

It's also a good idea to develop a sense of how things are going to taste, so that when you read the recipe you can imagine the food to some extent. Personally, I would NEVER want bread pudding--I hate the texture of that kind of thing. So I would have read the recipe you hated and not even attempted it, LOL. I don't care for potato salad, either, so I don't make it.

I can usually read a recipe and somewhat anticipate whether I will like it or not. Then when I try it, I usually modify it just a tad the second time to tune it up exactly for our tastes. Example: Walnut Balls--a very standard recipe, always good. Made it better by grinding up the walnuts in a coarse grater rather than chopping them. They were good before, and now they are much better and quite unique!

I used to buy lots and lots of cookbooks and would have the same problem. Somewhere, around 15 years ago, I stopped buying cookbooks and just checked them out of the library. I'd photocopy the one or two recipes I actually liked and stick them in a binder. I still add to it and cull out older recipes if they don't suit our tastes anymore.

It's still the best "cookbook" I have.

Oh, see, I *love* the reviews and reading about all of the variations that people try. Gives me ideas, and also helps me to gauge how well the reviewer's tastes might match mine. :001_smile:

I love the reviews that say, "I changed this, that and the other ingredient, stirred instead of whipped and the recipes was a bust." Bam! one star. :) Makes you want to say, "Hmmmmm."

Thanks for all the replies ladies! I have about six cookbooks ordered from the library. I'm probably going to be completely overwhelmed when they all arrive...but it should be fun! I like the idea of looking through and copying the recipes I like...or think I'd like. ;)

My poor family. I suppose I should prepare them for a few weeks of experiment meals. They really hate that. :D

I haven't read all the replies yet (will get to it because I love finding super recipe books). But, in any case, here are 3 of my favorite recipe books. While I haven't tried all the recipes in them, I also have not yet had any icky dishes out of them either.

366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans, and Grains. by Andrea Chesman Everything we've tried is pretty quick, easy, and flavorful. I really like the cowboy and cornbread recipe.

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufman (the meatloaf over a bed of potatoes recipe is my new favorite way to cook meatloaf)

The New Best Recipe. from the editors of Cook's Illustrated. Some of the recipes in this book are just too rich for my blood ($$$), but there are others easily modified to be less expensive and some that just are fairly inexpensive to make. I LOVE the creme brulee recipe in here and the angel food cake recipe. There's also a recipe for fried tilapia that was really good--my kids kept asking for more.

366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans, and Grains. by Andrea Chesman Everything we've tried is pretty quick, easy, and flavorful. I really like the cowboy and cornbread recipe.

Oh, this looks good! I just requested it from the library. Thanks!