Menu

Is it feasible for my neighbor to homeschool?

We have just gotten to know a neighbor who lives a street over from us. They have two kids (girl, 10, boy, almost 7) who attend the public school that is literally right next to our backyard. From what the mom has shared with me, the kids have had an AWFUL experience at the public school. She would love to possibly consider homeschooling, however she never graduated and does not have her GED and they also do not have very much money (on public aid at this point). I want to help her so badly, but I'm just not sure how to guide her. There are definitely ways to cut costs in homeschooling: buying used curriculum, using the library, etc. They have no computer (not that you NEED a computer to homeschool, just adding some more information to the mix).

She was over this afternoon with her kids and mentioned several times how her kids LOVE hanging out with my boys. She also asked me several times when we can get together to chat about homeschooling.

My heart just breaks to hear the stories of what have happened to her kids. I have no idea where her kids are at academically other than she has told me her 10 year old is weak in math.

I try to pinch pennies when it comes to purchasing homeschooling material, however, we do spend $500-1000 year on school stuff/classes for the boys. A cost like that would not even be possible for her family. I know there are families who school on much less than what we spend, but I'm just not sure how to guide her to do it on a shoestring (or less!) budget.

Any advice/help you can offer to me that I can in turn offer to her would be so appreciated!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, given the combination of her own lack of education and the family's finances, I would see if I could find a private school that would offer her kids a scholarship.

If she were poorly educated but wealthy, she could make it work if you guided her to excellent curriculum choices.

If she were well educated but poor, she could become a library and freebie maven and make it work.

But I don't see how she can overcome both of those obstacles.

Any advice/help you can offer to me that I can in turn offer to her would be so appreciated!

Encourage her to get a GED first. Either she'll fall in love with learning, something she missed by having not so rosy a background and kids early, or she'll realize she doesn't have "the bug" for learning and look for other options.

I think she could at least handle the elementary years, and if she teaches the kids to teach themselves she can probably go all the way. It just takes a little extra work - finding friends and family helpers (like my dad teaches my kids how to fix cars and build things, my sister teaches my kids how to sew), making good use of the library, hunting for used curriculum, etc.

Really there are so many things I have had to learn or had to brush up on that I had forgotten already, and much more I have to learn I'm sure. I think anyone can do a good job if they WANT to. Some will do better than others but if the desire is there, it can't be worse than what the public schools are churning out :D

Encourage her to get a GED first. Either she'll fall in love with learning, something she missed by having not so rosy a background and kids early, or she'll realize she doesn't have "the bug" for learning and look for other options.

This is a good idea. She told me today the only part of her GED that she did not pass was the math portion. Can you just re-take one portion of the GED or do you need to take all of it again? Is it costly to get your GED?

The state I grew up in considers me well-educated.....top 3% of the state's graduating class, top 1% of my school. I have a J.D. from a rather prestigious college. But I'll tell you that teaching my own children has been as much of an education of ME as it has been of them.

Are the reasons she never graduated/GED because she is simply not capable of learning? Or did "life" get in the way and she's kinda resigned to it now? If she's capable of learning, then she can learn right along with the kids (and perhaps having them home studying will encourage her to study on her own and go for the GED). If she's not capable of learning, then no, she probably shouldn't homeschool them.

With her finances, will she be able to stay home with them, or will state aid require her to get a job??? If she's going to have to get a job, then it might not be wise to start homeschooling, but if the foreseeable future is that she will not.....

Here's a list of free curriculums:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109114

It is absolutely possible to homeschool without spending much money, perhaps no money. And, consider the money that she will save....no more school uniforms (or expensive clothing for school.....jeans and t-shirts work as do PJs in our house....and no peer pressure for name brands or latest styles). None of those lengthy very specific (and very brand name heavy) school supply requirements. Hit Walmart/Target etc this week and get a year supply of pencils, paper, crayons, glue, for about $20. Kids don't "need" fancy notebooks, stylish binders, backpacks, and all the rest......those 50cent binders do just fine when they aren't tossed around a classroom/school hallway.

She may to work harder than some homeschool moms, but hopefully she's willing to put in the work for her kids sake. And hopefully, she's found a friend in you to help her through the rough patches (or to hook her up with other friends to lighten your load in that regard!).

Moms are always the best teacher for their children! If she loves her kids and wants to homeschool them, she will find a way and meet their needs. I have learned so much educating myself. I dropped out of school and got married/had baby. I have my GED now, but that doesn't make me smarter.

I am sure they get a tax check at the end of the year. That is when she would buy the curriculum she needs for the year. That is what I do.

She needs a friend that will lovingly help her start on this new adventure. How about going to the library together and finding some great and encouraging homeschool books.

BTW, my son is starting 10th grade and does very well. He is doing Chemistry this year and Geometry. I never took Geometry. That is why I love Teaching Textbooks and being a part of a great homeschool group!

I've known people who've learned with their children. They need a structured curriculum but all in all I think it worked. Often how well you do in school has to do with the learning that goes on at home.

Agree!

She can just retake the math and it only costs about $60 here.

I agree if 'life' got in the way of her finishing school then she should still be able to hs them. The fact is that she loves her kids more than anyone else, and if she has the passion to make their life better than hers then she will likely be successful.

Public school is expensive with clothing requirements, field trips, school supplies and on and on, so she could take that money and use it to buy cheaper curriculum. The library will be her new best friend. Our library has hooked on phonics, math programs, and obviously tons of stuff on science and history and so on. It will just take serious dedication and a plan like it does for any of us.

She has a lack of FORMAL education. She may well be decently educated generally and almost definitely about certain topics. Also, there was no indication in your post that she had a learning issue, was particularly "dull" mentally, etc. So I wouldn't worry about that part so much. She can CHOOSE to educate well (getting more so herself also).

And money isn't really an issue either. Homeschoolers often have less money for the obvious reason. However, such is life.

BUT....social services may be an issue. In our state, a person who gets assistance is required to do a job search and to take an appropriate job if one comes available. There are also training classes required. In our state, you have to have a very young child, a disability, or a severely disabled child to get out of these things. So could she homeschool if that were the case? Could she get a job that still allowed for homeschooling?

Anyway, so the only concern I would have is if the assistance requirements would pose a problem

ONE other consideration.....what is the reason they are in their situation? Most of the time, despite what most people think, it's "time and unforeseen occurence" that could befall any of us. If that is the case, don't even bother reading this paragraph. However, if they are there because of very poor choices, disorganization, etc? That may be a consideration. Though some of us don't have the best track record financially but do an awesome job educating our children, for others, that financial symptom may be a red flag. She may need to evaluate that careful. It is important not to drop the ball regardless of what homeschooling style we choose. Sadly, too many homeschooling parents DO drop the ball.

Anyway, so she needs to evaluate their situation carefully, but I don't think that being poor or having less formal education suggests an inability to homeschool AT ALL.

Interestingly enough, I don't think home school success depends on parental education as it does on character. Will this parent stick it out? Will she establish good home schooling practices and maintain them for an entire school year?

If she doesn't, will you end up schooling her children? (Don't discount this possibility. I'm asking you a critical question about your own personality.) If you do end up schooling her children, will your home school benefit or be strained beyond its limits?

I've seen highly educated people, moderately educated people and badly educated people fail at home schooling. In each case, it was because they simply didn't follow through on their intentions to home school. They talked a good game, but they had no follow through.

One person who failed to follow through was a very high achiever in other aspects of her life. I have no idea why she didn't follow through in the case of her kids' home school. This behavior was not consistent with her past behavior.

There's another question that probably needs to be articulated: should you attempt to judge whether she is capable of home schooling her kids? I ask this because I've seen home schooling parents be disparaging of someone's home schooling potential, only to have the target of their disdain succeed. We really cannot know who is or is not capable. We probably shouldn't be talking people into home schooling or discouraging them from it.

Edited by Elizabeth Conley

Lack of a degree or GED does not mean one lacks in self education or intelligence. GED's are not difficult to get. Definitely encourage this, only because of various state regulations...it covers her rear end. Then yes assist her in looking at curriculum. If there is literally NO MONEY, have her look into The Book Samaritan or even the online charter school for the state (some love it, some hate it...but it's free and a computer is supplied. She can add to their education via online items and the library. Eventually she could wean off of that).

What state are you in? There's a wonderful adult education program called National External Diploma Program which is available in 11 states. It's an alternative to the GED, and is portfolio-based, not a teaching program-- rather like homeschooling, in a way. I administer the program for the state of Connecticut.

If you live in an NEDP state, I would strongly encourage your friend to look into this program. It's empowering, and without any sort of education, I rather feel like Julie in Austin-- there are just too many obstacles to overcome, despite her best intentions and fervent wishes.

astrid

What state are you in? There's a wonderful adult education program called National External Diploma Program which is available in 11 states. It's an alternative to the GED, and is portfolio-based, not a teaching program-- rather like homeschooling, in a way. I administer the program for the state of Connecticut.

If you live in an NEDP state, I would strongly encourage your friend to look into this program. It's empowering, and without any sort of education, I rather feel like Julie in Austin-- there are just too many obstacles to overcome, despite her best intentions and fervent wishes.

astrid

We live in IL.

GED's are not difficult to get.

I beg to differ. I teach GED and administer an alternative high school diploma program (NEDP) here in CT. I've taught GED students for more than 12 years, and the people who most easily pass the GED tests are those who are young, right out of school, and who have and excellent school experiences themselves. From what the OP said, this doesn't sound like her friend, nor most adults who find themselves without credentials. The average new GED student in my classes, which are in a very affluent community in Connecticut, cannot do basic math operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide) when they come into the classes. They have a long way to go in order to get to the pre-algebra and geometry that the GED requires.

But hey, I've never met her, so how would I know about her personally? I just want to point out that the GED is not the cakewalk that so many educated people think it is.

astrid

Illinois is an NEDP state!

Here's a link:

https://www.casas.org/home/index.cfm?fuseaction=nedp.showContent&MapID=2000#il

Hope that helps. I really, really believe in this program--- it has a much higher graduation rate than the GED and was specifically designed for older adults who are returning to school.

I encourage her to check it out! PM me if you want more info!

astrid

My neighbor is 35, so it's been quite some time since she took math classes in school. She said she can't even remember algebra being required at the school she went to. Now, I can very vividly remember taking pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, trig and calculus in middle school and high school. However, I don't know if she even lived in the same city or state where we live (which is where I went to high school).

I'm not sure getting a GED would be that easy for her.

The free curriculum that was linked up earlier in this thread (thank you!) looks wonderful, but she does not have a computer at home. I know our local library has computers and internet access you can use for 30 minute periods, but would it be hard to pull resources together if you had to go to the library to research everything?

You have all been wonderfully helpful. I really appreciate all your input!

My neighbor is 35, so it's been quite some time since she took math classes in school. She said she can't even remember algebra being required at the school she went to. Now, I can very vividly remember taking pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, trig and calculus in middle school and high school. However, I don't know if she even lived in the same city or state where we live (which is where I went to high school).

I'm not sure getting a GED would be that easy for her.

The free curriculum that was linked up earlier in this thread (thank you!) looks wonderful, but she does not have a computer at home. I know our local library has computers and internet access you can use for 30 minute periods, but would it be hard to pull resources together if you had to go to the library to research everything?

You have all been wonderfully helpful. I really appreciate all your input!

Seewah, she is EXACTLY the demographic that the NEDP was designed for in the late 1970's!!!!! Please, try and get her hooked up with an NEDP site. It's truly an amazing program. I drive one hour each way to work just to be able to work in the program. I believe in it. It works. It's empowering, especially for women who often lack confidence in math.

I"m a really enthusiastic NEDP cheerleader!

astrid

If her children have really suffered in their schooling so far, I personally think, unless she herself is abusive, she would do them better at home even if their schooling is less than what we around here consider stellar. The emotional damage and baggage from a truly poor schooling situation can hinder a life more in the long run than being a bit behind in math. Academics shouldn't always be the bottom line. Sometimes quality of life needs to count somewhere too, but I do not know any specifics in this case. Only your friend can decide if it's worth the trade.

There are many swap boards out there and I know some homeschoolers who, if she listed her needs and challenges financially, would probably send her some of their used items - no charge. If you can lead her towards some of the programs that are the most laid out for parents while young, gradually moving them towards more independent learning. Don't necessarily think classical. Some of the box basics can be great for the needs of some and they show up used just as often.

Does your state have a virtual school? I'm not usually a fan of them but they may be helpful here. She would then have another teacher helping to look out for them, sometimes even bringing in tutoring where needed.

The NEDP location is at least an hour one way from her home. Not sure if she could afford to drive in for the training. I'd love to hear what is involved time-wise in the training process. Thanks, Astrid! :)

The thing about the NEDP is that it's not a TEACHING program--- it does not include any seat-time, just once-per week appointments with an advisor/assessor. An hour away might be do-able if it's regularly scheduled appointments, once per week, each lasting about an hour, maybe?

PM me if you want more info!

astrid

I would encourage her to continue her own education. She will be better off, both personally and in teaching her children, if she has a grasp on subjects such as math. I think it's wonderful that she came to discuss this and brainstorm with you.

I feel *honored* that she would ask me to help her consider this for her children. I am by no means a homeschooler who is very outspoken about what we do and why we do it. I am excited and a bit nervous to see how the Lord is going to possibly use me and my family to possibly influence this family.

Interestingly enough, I don't think home school success depends on parental education as it does on character. Will this parent stick it out? Will she establish good home schooling practices and maintain them for an entire school year?

If she doesn't, will you end up schooling her children? (Don't discount this possibility. I'm asking you a critical question about your own personality.) If you do end up schooling her children, will your home school benefit or be strained beyond it's limits?

I've seen highly educated people, moderately educated people and badly educated people fail at home schooling. In each case, it was because they simply didn't follow through on their intentions to home school. They talked a good game, but they had no follow through.

Interestingly enough, one person who failed to follow through was a very high achiever in other aspects of her life. I have no idea why she didn't follow through in the case of her kids' home school. This behavior was not consistent with her past behavior.

There's another question that probably needs to be articulated: should you attempt to judge whether she is capable of home schooling her kids? I ask this because I've seen home schooling parents be disparaging of someone's home schooling potential, only to have the target of their disdain succeed. We really cannot know who is or is not capable. We probably shouldn't be talking people into home schooling or discouraging them from it.

:iagree: Great post!

Great news about having no requirements for the teacher in your state!

She really needs to go with a charter school (I think they call it). You know--one of those things where they give you the computer, internet access and full curriculum for free.

After shes does that for a year and has a handle on what works and doesn't work for her kids, she can decide next year to continue with the freebie or to branch out and gather her own curriculum.

She'll also have a full year then to figure out how to homeschool on her own w/o the charter school. It buys her some time.

Great news about having no requirements for the teacher in your state!

She really needs to go with a charter school (I think they call it). You know--one of those things where they give you the computer, internet access and full curriculum for free.

After shes does that for a year and has a handle on what works and doesn't work for her kids, she can decide next year to continue with the freebie or to branch out and gather her own curriculum.

She'll also have a full year then to figure out how to homeschool on her own w/o the charter school. It buys her some time.

How do I go about finding out more about charter schools in Illinois? Sorry I am ignorant about charter schools!

I just want to point out that the GED is not the cakewalk that so many educated people think it is.

astrid

I am a teacher who tried to help a relative study for the GED and, as I recall now, it covered quite challenging material. She had been in special education in high school and received an attendance certificate instead of a diploma. Unfortunately, she did not succeed (yet, of course!) She really wasn't motivated to study or practice . . . and she's homeschooling her dc now. I hope it's going well. She's a patient and caring mother and may be more motivated for her dc's sake.

How do I go about finding out more about charter schools in Illinois? Sorry I am ignorant about charter schools!

I googled Illinois Charter School and a bunch of things came up. But then my computer started acting up and won't let me click on them. In fact, I think my computer is telling me it's tired and it's time for me to go to bed.

I'm signing off now and will deal with my crabby computer tomorrow.

The free thing here in PA is called K-12. Try googling K-12 Illinois, or K12 or something like that. I finally did get one of the charter schools to come up and it was for a classroom style charter school. But other charter schools are for homeschoolers. Google around for "illinois free education" and stuff like that.

Or wait! Call the school! They know all about it.

(ETA: This looks like your free k12 program in Illinois.)

Oh, and the charter school will supply, if needed, a computer, internet connection, all books and materials, plus a teacher for her to work with. She will want to make sure they know of any schooling weaknesses at the start. It's a pretty challenging curriculum so it's important they start in the right place.

I feel *honored* that she would ask me to help her consider this for her children. I am by no means a homeschooler who is very outspoken about what we do and why we do it. I am excited and a bit nervous to see how the Lord is going to possibly use me and my family to possibly influence this family.

And therein lies your answer. Praise the Lord, from whom all blessings flow!

Yes, you can retake portions of the GED.

All she'd need is the desire to do it and a "What Your ___ Needs to Know" from the library.

She could even follow some WTM rec and get books from the library.

We are broke and we home school. Money does not have to be an obstacle.

I'd really spend some time talking with her. Is she dreaming, coveting, or for real? If she is, she could even read Homeschooling on a Shoestring. Use the library. Use the library. Use the library! Texts are available, as well as books that outline literature studies. Often times, if the library is not busy, they'll extend that 30 min.

There are also a couple of free home schooling material websites. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Oh, and the charter school will supply, if needed, a computer, internet connection, all books and materials, plus a teacher for her to work with. She will want to make sure they know of any schooling weaknesses at the start. It's a pretty challenging curriculum so it's important they start in the right place.

The k12 program are excellent.

Honestly, given the combination of her own lack of education and the family's finances, I would see if I could find a private school that would offer her kids a scholarship.

If she were poorly educated but wealthy, she could make it work if you guided her to excellent curriculum choices.

If she were well educated but poor, she could become a library and freebie maven and make it work.

But I don't see how she can overcome both of those obstacles.

Why couldn't she?

Not being wealthy doesn't mean that she can't find 'excellent curriculum choices' - second hand, borrowed, self-created, free, etc.

Not having graduated from high school doesn't mean that she can't use a library.

I'm not wealthy or well educated either, but I do have a strong determination to homeschool my dd. For subjects that I am weak in, I use a heavily scripted curriculum, I rely heavily on the library and I used this book as a guide all through the elementary grades. http://www.amazon.com/Books-Children-Love-Childrens-Literature/dp/1581341989/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250077934&sr=8-1 It's great for weeding through all of the selections that the library has. I still use it for finding books on specific topics. It's doable but I think it does require determination. If she has that, I don't see why it's not possible barring social services and the other issues that previous posters have mentioned that might be an issue. I wish her well and I pray that God gives you the right words at the right time to minister to her and her family. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

We are outside Chicago city limits, so the Chicago K12 program won't work for my neighbor. I wonder if there is another option?

You need to start googling. Call your local school system. They know about these programs as they're run by the school system. This seems the best way to go for your friend for her first year.

Here's what I googled and found.

I don't know where you are, but do you have a K12 virtual academy in your state (I think they provide computers in addition to books and supplies), or some other public school at home options?

ETA: I see that people are already discussing this option. Maybe I should scroll down a bit before posting next time!:D

The k12 virtual academy was a good fit for us for a year of our homeschooling (though it was recently, not at the beginning of our journey). You may also look at Connections.

HOWEVER, it is not necessarily the best option and most certainly isn't the only one. If one is around you, great, it's an option to consider, but if it isn't there, that is okay. If she is determined to be a conscientious homsechooler, she can successfully do it without a lot of formal education or money.

Again, I'm making some assumptions, but....I have a REAL issue with the elitist attitude some seem to have towards those with lower formal educations and poor financial situations. Some of the brightest, most capable people I've known have had times at the poverty level. Some of them dropped out of high school or didn't go to college. College or income doesn't make one more capable of homeschooling!

Anyway, I do think it would be a good idea for her to study to finish school. It would be a good example to her children. But it probably would be pretty good self-esteem wise also. I KNOW I'll feel so much better when I get through these couple tough classes I'm taking currently despite some learning difficulties since the stroke making them a little more difficult (and taking a diploma program or GED will be a little more difficult while homeschooling her kids).

Okay, sorry to go off. I like k12. I think it's a good program. I DO think it would help buy some time for researching homeschooling. But I definitely don't think it's the only or even the best option for her. And I TOTALLY would help her research homeschooling and get started this year if that is what she wanted.

Barring any serious learning barriers on her part, I don't see why she couldn't homeschool. Let her learn along with her kids in areas that she might struggle in. She could study for her GED while she learns along with her children.

Would you be willing to let her use your computer and printer to print out MEP's free math curriculum for her kids? If your printer isn't an ink hog, it could be such a blessing to her. Everything else can be done with library books. Like an earlier poster mentioned, get the "What Your ____ Needs to Know" from the library, add in free MEP and a ton of library books and she's set.

FWIW, a dear friend dropped out of high school when she was 17. She is very, very bright, but school bored the daylights out of her. Drop out does not necessarily mean untintelligent. Another thing to keep in mind, is that I have a BA in English. I took an elementary math placement test recently and, well, let's just say that I'm going to have to relearn/review some forms of fractions, square roots and a few other topics that I rarely (if ever) have need of in my everyday life.

Again, I'm making some assumptions, but....I have a REAL issue with the elitist attitude some seem to have towards those with lower formal educations and poor financial situations. Some of the brightest, most capable people I've known have had times at the poverty level. Some of them dropped out of high school or didn't go to college. College or income doesn't make one more capable of homeschooling!

Yup, and just because I have a degree doesn't mean I remember anything from 4th grade math. :lol:

I just checked and we're $450 below poverty level for a family of 4 (DH is furloughed from the evil railroad). Thank goodness our mortgage is cheap. Still, we manage just fine (HOW? Looking at the numbers I have NO idea).

This is getting OT (sorry)... OP: if your friend has normal intelligence and is committed to HSing, I think she should GO FOR IT!

She and her children could be closet geniuses and that is why they have had such horrible school experiences. Schools, especially public schools , are horrific for true genius and high IQ. Many are in the low classes, are trouble makers because they are bored, and many if they don't come from stellar families in the correct neighborhoods are treated badly. By the time they hit upper elementary, their school path is set and that just worsens the problems. She could be extremely bright but just totally failed by the the school system and where there is one in the family, there is usually another - all within 10 points of each other. Around here the "smart" classes are only for those who behave, are quiet, cause no trouble, test well, and have the "right" families. Miss any of that and you are put into the next level. That next level can be mental suicide for a high IQ person leading to all sorts of bad outcomes.

I said all that because she may just have had those experiences, dropped out and one bad decision leads to another. They may get out of school and literally soar. Geniuses normally do. I would brainstorm with her some more, point out the obvious such as the state aid issue, and go from there. She many not have great grammar and talk like she can't string a sentence together but you may discover she is brilliant, just beat down by the system. Or not :D

I just checked and we're $450 below poverty level for a family of 4 (DH is furloughed from the evil railroad). Thank goodness our mortgage is cheap. Still, we manage just fine (HOW? Looking at the numbers I have NO idea).

:) My hubby lost his job June 30th. We haven't always been the most financially responsible and then we have a lot of bumps on the road (severe health issues, etc). However, we have paid our bills ON TIME (or early) for both July and August. I can't believe it! I thought we weren't going to be able to make it on unemployment, but we ARE making it and actually making it BETTER. Now we won't have an excuse when he gets a job (and PLEASE let him get a job soon!).

Oh, the point of all that was how we're poor but I'm a pretty bright person, at least academically speaking. And there was nothing lacking in our homeschooling. We met the kids individual needs and it worked out beautifully.

Edited by 2J5M9K

We are outside Chicago city limits, so the Chicago K12 program won't work for my neighbor. I wonder if there is another option?

I suppose it depends on the laws there but here in CO you can live anywhere in the state and attend the one charter school. I'd give them a call. Often they work to be available for students generally outside the district. Can't hurt to check the laws anyway and they may have other options.

Her desire to teach her kids will make her the very best teacher regardless of any "degree".

First of all, you need to find out what the LEGAL rules are for your state.

One thing I have always encouraged people considering homeschooling to keep in mind is that:

the decision to homeschool is not permanent.

You can change your mind at any time, for any reason

After a semester, a month, a week.

I usually encourage new moms to stick it out a quarter at least if they feel they are struggling. Struggles are common.

When people ask me how long I plan to homeschool, I always say: we are homeschooling for this year, and we will review where we are at next year. Some people review by semesters. Make it workable for you.

When I first started, despite my official degree, I felt inadequate to teach beyond the early grades - I didn't think I had the "right" education for it. Each year brings me more confidence. My oldest is in 9th grade, and still homeschooled. We are still taking it a year at a time.

When we started, we spent less than $100 a year on homeschool items, and probably could have spent less than that. The library is awesome, and 10cent notebooks at the beginning of the year last us the whole year through.

There are MANY ways to get freebie items - put a request on here explaining the situation, I'm sure some people would be moved to share. Put a request on your local freecycle or other community groups. I know our community homeschool group would pitch right in to help a committed new mom. (Maybe adding a request if she changed her mind in 6 months to donate the items to ??)

And my 9th grader is now "smarter" than I am. It doesn't mean I am now suddenly in inadequate teacher. It means, I need to understand where he is at and my job is to provide him the correct sequential curriculum, and contacts if he has questions I can not answer.

By no means do we need to be masters of the subjects we "instruct".

Yes, if she wants to further educate herself, that is fine - but I don't think it's necessary (unless your state requires it). In my mind, those are two separate issues.

Edited by KinderSafari

Wow, I am amazed at how many of you hsers, feel that a diploma/GED is necessary to teach your children! These are not the only signs of being educated. I was hsed (so no diploma), and I just never bothered to take the GED. However, I feel that I am more than capable to teach my kiddos. Education is WAY more than these two pieces of paper! I am surprised that I even have to say this :001_huh:.

As long as your friend, has normal brain function, and a desire to do what's best for her children; she should have no problem hsing. The fact that she doesn't have a computer will probably save her more money than anything else :D.