Menu

Need to help Sis re: Social Worker in home and talking to her kids!

UPDATE on 4th page.

I heard from my mom that my sister (not a homeschooler) was reported by a neighbor for leaving her kids at home in the care of her 8 yr old son. Her house is a mess also, and that may have been part of the complaint. She let the social worker in, and she also let her talk to her kids.

My mom was unable to come help, as she lives several hours away, and I didn't hear about it until after the fact. My mom advised that sis call her church. She did, and a lot of people rallied about her family, coming to clean her house. One of the church members is a social worker, and advised Sis a bit too. Apparently a case has not been opened yet. The social worker is coming back sometime next week, I think. I'm composing an email to Sis about the fact that there is not a legal age minimum in Ohio for leaving children at home alone, but the general age recommendation of 12 yrs. old.

Where can I find info about not letting the social worker talk to the kids? I know the Fourth Amendment applies to not letting her into the house without a search warrant, but what about the kids, like if there is a warrant, or when she comes back to look at the house?

I think that since the social worker has already seen the house, it'll be good to let her back in to see how much it's been cleaned up. But I don't think she should talk to the kids again.

Edited by gardening momma

I think she should talk to a lawyer who practices in her state.

As a social worker, I completely agree.

As for the right to refuse entry of the social worker into the home or to refuse to let her speak to the kids, a quick perusal of the HSLDA website leads me to believe that the basis for this right may lie in the Constitution. You might try looking there or even reading through the HSLDA site to see what they have to say on the matter. Obviously, this is not a home schooling case, but they will have good information on social worker home visits if you do some reading.

Without knowing more about the situation, I can't say whether or not I'd recommend that she allow reentry or reinterviewing the kids. Depending on the allegations, it's iffy either way. I really think she should consult a family law attorney in her state...and not leave her kids under 12 at home alone again, just in case. I see that you say she can't afford one...if I were her, I'd still call Legal Aid and see what they can do or just suck it up and pay an attorney. The risks are too high.

It is important to have a lawyer now. It is easier for them to make it go away now then it will be later. KWIM.

Another thought would be to have the children some place else when the social worker comes to visit. Could you mom take the children? This way you could have the SW come in to see the newly cleaned home.

It is important to have a lawyer now. It is easier for them to make it go away now then it will be later. KWIM.

Another thought would be to have the children some place else when the social worker comes to visit. Could you mom take the children? This way you could have the SW come in to see the newly cleaned home.

I thought I could have the older two come here for a visit. I live about 2.5 hours away. The younger two are young enough that they wouldn't be able to answer questions.

As far as legal representation goes, you get what you pay for (usually). Have her call some family law attorneys in her area. They may tell her on the phone that she needs to come in for a consult, but there might be one (if she's lucky) that will advise her - at least minimally - on the phone.

I'm not in Ohio, so I don't know the law in your state about refusing a social worker, age to leave the children home alone, etc. [Where I live, you may be opening up a big can of worms if you disallow the social worker in your home, but you'd be well within your rights, KWIM?] One thing you can do about the home alone issue is to anonymously call your local department of family and children services (or your equivalent) and simply ask someone at what age you can legally leave a child home alone. [block your number when you make that call.] In Georgia, where I live, there are certain ages for certain periods of the day and for certain lengths of time - and it also depends on the ages of the other children in the household who may be left home with the older child as well.

I think the advice from a previous post that your sister send the older two away when the social worker comes by is a good idea. I also think that if, by some chance, your sister can't send the older two away, and if she lets the social worker in her home when the children are there, your sister would probably be okay in telling the social worker to direct her questions to the adult (your sister) who is present - unless there is some court order allowing the social worker to do otherwise.

Seems like the horse it out of the barn to me in terms of talking to the kids and seeing the house. It also seems like at least a consultation with an attorney is in order. Perhaps your family could chip in.

To me the real issue is: What is going on with your sister that she left 4 young kids home alone? That is really what needs to be addressed. If the social services agency is a good one, that is what they will address, but that doesn't always happen. Is there drug or alcohol use? Is she a single working mother without $$ for babysitting? Was it one episode of bad judgment? (Two kids were napping, the others were playing happily and she decided to run to the store for something she needed for dinner? ) The answer to why should factor in to how your family responds as well. I would not be helping cover anything up by having the older two to my house if the underlying issues are not being dealt with.

The mess, now that it's cleaned, is not likely to be cause for a finding of neglect unless it was really nasty (feces around, rotting food left out, etc.). Even so, the clean-up usually satisfies the state. It used to be that CPS had support services that included help getting the house cleaned. Glad her church helped her.

Leaving 3 kids with an 8 year old when 2 are too young to communicate would almost certainly be considered neglect in our society. It doesn't matter if there is a specific state law--the laws about neglect tend to be vague and it is left to social services to determine the definition of neglect. Also the recommendation you cite is about being left home alone---not being left to babysit. If it was for a very short period of time (10 min) that might make a difference. In some areas with a large immigrant population, the rules about what age kids have to be to babysit have been relaxed because that is very much a cultural issue . Many other cultures have expectations that would normalize an 8 year old caring for younger siblings and social services would be overwhlemed trying to deal with all the children in this sitution (Often, too, the cultural norms are such that the kids have had more responsibility and so are more responsible).. If your sister lives in such an area, the social worker may have a different reaction than she would if there is not a large population not observing that norm. But again, it's not safe, so why did she do it? It seems like that would be as important for your family to address as the issue of social services. Unless it was not true? (But your post sounds like she actually did that)

I thought I could have the older two come here for a visit. I live about 2.5 hours away. The younger two are young enough that they wouldn't be able to answer questions.

oh my, I can certainly understand why someone may be concerned about an 8 year old being in charge of THREE children, two very young! That's too much responsibility to place on an 8 year old and it can be very dangerous.

Please forgive me if I sound judgmental, I'm trying not to be! But this could turn dangerous!

I do hope and pray all works out for your sister, but please talk to her and tell her not to leave the children home alone again. Is she married? Should she move closer to family so she can have some support?

I'm sure this is a "Pollyanna" question, iykwim, but is there any chance that the social worker should be asked for help, and not avoided? Sounds a bit like the system (so far) is working as it should. I'd like to see your sister get the help she needs to keep those little ones safe, or I'd like to see the children placed with someone who would. Is your sister doing ok overall, or is this a sign that she really *does need* the social worker to intervene? Again, I'm asking/pondering, not asserting, since I have no experience or special knowlege about this kind of situation.

Seems like the horse it out of the barn to me in terms of talking to the kids and seeing the house. It also seems like at least a consultation with an attorney is in order. Perhaps your family could chip in.

To me the real issue is: What is going on with your sister that she left 4 young kids home alone? That is really what needs to be addressed. If the social services agency is a good one, that is what they will address, but that doesn't always happen. Is there drug or alcohol use? Is she a single working mother without $$ for babysitting? Was it one episode of bad judgment? (Two kids were napping, the others were playing happily and she decided to run to the store for something she needed for dinner? ) The answer to why should factor in to how your family responds as well. I would not be helping cover anything up by having the older two to my house if the underlying issues are not being dealt with.

The mess, now that it's cleaned, is not likely to be cause for a finding of neglect unless it was really nasty (feces around, rotting food left out, etc.). Even so, the clean-up usually satisfies the state. It used to be that CPS had support services that included help getting the house cleaned. Glad her church helped her.

Leaving 3 kids with an 8 year old when 2 are too young to communicate would almost certainly be considered neglect in our society. It doesn't matter if there is a specific state law--the laws about neglect tend to be vague and it is left to social services to determine the definition of neglect. Also the recommendation you cite is about being left home alone---not being left to babysit. If it was for a very short period of time (10 min) that might make a difference. In some areas with a large immigrant population, the rules about what age kids have to be to babysit have been relaxed because that is very much a cultural issue . Many other cultures have expectations that would normalize an 8 year old caring for younger siblings and social services would be overwhlemed trying to deal with all the children in this sitution (Often, too, the cultural norms are such that the kids have had more responsibility and so are more responsible).. If your sister lives in such an area, the social worker may have a different reaction than she would if there is not a large population not observing that norm. But again, it's not safe, so why did she do it? It seems like that would be as important for your family to address as the issue of social services. Unless it was not true? (But your post sounds like she actually did that)

She is already in need of a lawyer and should file a request for help from legal aid now. The report as to whether the neglect allegation was founded is being written as we speak. Tell her to call legal aid Monday am and not speak to anyone or attempt to self help by removing the kids when the social worker returns. If she qualifies for legal aid that is great. In our city they are some of the best attorneys as many of us simply volunteer through the volunteer lawyer project that takes overflow cases from legal aid as they are swamped.

Perhaps your family could chip in.

We really can't right now...money is at it's tightest right now.

To me the real issue is: What is going on with your sister that she left 4 young kids home alone? That is really what needs to be addressed. If the social services agency is a good one, that is what they will address, but that doesn't always happen. Is there drug or alcohol use? Is she a single working mother without $$ for babysitting? Was it one episode of bad judgment? (Two kids were napping, the others were playing happily and she decided to run to the store for something she needed for dinner? )

Not drugs or alcohol. She's married, and she and her husband work different shifts because they can't afford daycare. Even with the 2 jobs and no daycare costs, they're struggling.

I talked to her on the phone today and she said it was a dumb thing to do--she went to get pizza. While she was out, a couple of kids came over to ask to play. They live with their grandparents, and she thinks they're the ones who called.

The youngest is about a year and a half, the next one is about 3. Second oldest is 6, eldest is 8.

But again, it's not safe, so why did she do it? It seems like that would be as important for your family to address as the issue of social services. Unless it was not true? (But your post sounds like she actually did that)

I don't know if she left all the kids there with the 8 yr old. Forgot to ask. I also don't know if it was an unsafe situation. It sounds like she was out for a few minutes.

Is your sister doing ok overall, or is this a sign that she really *does need* the social worker to intervene? Again, I'm asking/pondering, not asserting, since I have no experience or special knowlege about this kind of situation.

I think they're doing fine overall. They had a cat with bladder problems, so their house stank when the social worker came. Some people from their churched helped them with that, and the cat is gone.

They did have a messy house, cat or no, and it sounds like it was bad enough that this may have been a good thing, despite how hard it's been for them to go through this.

If she was just out for pizza, and her house is now clean, she should be fine. They will get nothing from dc b/c there isn't anything and they'll leave her alone.

Someone called on me once...and I lucked out with a real Better Crocker day (clean house, roast cooking, homemade bread in the oven) and they talked to dc and left for ever.

Last week happened to a friend. They came in, checked her house, talked to dc, and closed the case.

I am wondering why she doesn't want to have the kids talk to the social worker or have her in the house. We dealt with social workers at the door a couple months ago. They toured the house, talked with each of the kids (I left the room but stayed in ear shot), talked to me and that was that. THe case was immediately closed. There is no age requirements for being home alone in my province BUT there is an age restriction of 12 for babysitting. So I could leave my kids home alone individually within reason, but could not at this point leave my 10 yr old watching my almost 6 yr old without the kaka hitting the fan if someone filed a complaint.

Leaving an 8 yr old to babysit other children is irresponsible imo and while she is concerned about the social worker coming in, but they may be able to offer suggestions on where to find low cost childcare(if that was a concern), or extra supports for the family to help her keep the house up to par, and not be leaving the kids alone.

Other people said what I was thinking much better than my original post (hours ago, never posted). I'm glad.

I think that since mom admits it was a mistake, they will close the case without much further ado. They might spot check on the family for a short time, but probably nothing further assuming this is the whole story.

I do know that OUR CPS considers nothing wrong with an 8yo home alone but it neglect for him to be babysitting littles. I called and asked about something several years ago.

Seriously, putting an 8yo in charge is awful, imo. Can an 8yo take the job of two toddlers seriously? And if he did, what would that mean for his life if something horrible happened to one of them? Just not a good situation. ALL young children need better supervision than this situation allows for. And NO young child should be responsible for the health, safety, very lives of young children!

I hope your sister is able to find a lawyer (maybe somebody willing/looking to do pro bono work?). I would be afraid that not allowing the children to speak to the social worker could lead to more problems than it would prevent/solve. The last thing she wants to do is raise suspicions. In any case, I wouldn't do that without consulting a lawyer first.

There is no age requirements for being home alone in my province BUT there is an age restriction of 12 for babysitting. So I could leave my kids home alone individually within reason, but could not at this point leave my 10 yr old watching my almost 6 yr old without the kaka hitting the fan if someone filed a complaint.

Everything I've been able to find online seems to say that there isn't actually a law - that Alberta's regulations leave it to the parents to decide based on the maturity level/etc of the child doing the babysitting... they may not actually be able to do anything about that (10 watching 6) if he's mature enough, knows what to do in an emergency, yada yada.

I have similarly aged children, and my oldest is eight.

I cannot imagine going out to the store and leaving him home in charge of three younger siblings. At best it would be stupid, but likely, it's neglect.

Why on earth didn't she take the younger children with her?

I worked with someone whose mother left her and her 2 sisters home alone just for a minute.

She started a fire (she was around 6) and nearly burnt down the house.

Twenty-five years later she was still dealing with the guilt.

Unfortunately there is no way to justify leaving an 8 year old home alone with his younger siblings.

I think the best thing to do is accept that you made a mistake. Chances are child services will check in with the family 1-2 more times and if all passes inspection they will close the case file.

She's not the one who thought about not letting the social worker in or letting her talk to the kids--that was me, from what I've read about homeschooling and our rights (and anyone's rights) regarding the Fourth Amendment.

I don't know for sure yet if the younger two were left home on the pizza run.

She's not the one who thought about not letting the social worker in or letting her talk to the kids--that was me, from what I've read about homeschooling and our rights (and anyone's rights) regarding the Fourth Amendment.

I don't know for sure yet if the younger two were left home on the pizza run.

honestly, HSLDA and other's had me so worried about social workers while we were adopting that I was a WRECK. I can understand why you'd say that, but I think now you know that it will be good for the social worker to see the children. The SW probably wouldn't close the case without seeing them anyway.

:grouphug:

I read this book and met the author while she was working on another book. She says that deference is the number one way to get out of a social services issue.

def·er·ence (dfr-ns, dfrns)

n.

1. Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgment of another.

2. Courteous respect. See Synonyms at honor.

In her book she outlines numerous examples of families that had almost the same problems, but it was their attitude towards the social worker that determined if they kept their kids or not.

I think your sis did exactly the right thing. I know in my state she would not have been able to refuse the sw access to her kids or house and it would have made her look guilty to try. In my state sw can not gain access to your house for homeschool issues, but can not be denied for child welfare issues.

I use to work as a social worker for abuse prevention program and I worked side by side with DCF. This is how the system works in Florida - They can not take your kids because you left an 8 year old in charge. The reason for this, single moms have to work and most cannot afford day care ..... that is why the recommended age is in most states. Second, the house being dirty is an issue but they will give a person time to clean it up. They will come by again and inspected the home several times and if it is kept clean they will close the investigation. Now that I said that, this is a time for your sister to ask for help. Have her tell the social worker she needs help with day care and a first call for help list. First call for help list is a bunch of phone numbers she can call for assistance in a time of need.

Working with families .... we have found out that some people can't keep a house clean because they are so depressed. Does your sister have depression?

They will come by again and inspected the home several times and if it is kept clean they will close the investigation. Now that I said that, this is a time for your sister to ask for help. Have her tell the social worker she needs help with day care and a first call for help list. First call for help list is a bunch of phone numbers she can call for assistance in a time of need.

Working with families .... we have found out that some people can't keep a house clean because they are so depressed. Does your sister have depression?

There is a woman from the church who, as my mom puts it, "is good at cleaning" and she is going to come once a week to help clean and to give my sister cleaning tips.

I don't think she's depressed, but I don't live close enough to really know.

Daycare is not really an issue, as either she or her husband is home with the kids, depending on who's shift it is, but she knows she made a bad judgement call on leaving to pick up pizza.

My sister ran into a similar situation a while back. She and dh had left a friend to watch her dc. The friend called to tell her a social worker was there, evidently a neighbor had complained that the children were left alone or neglected often. The SW had showed up with an officer and the friend felt obliged to open the door. The SW ushered the older children into a separate room for questioning. My sister was furious! As soon as they got home they called HSLDA, they were told that without some kind of warrant the SW should not have been allowed inside, with or without the officer. The next time the SW showed up at the house my sister let her know that she was not allowed in and their lawyer would be contacting them. With one phone call and letterhead from the lawyer the whole thing was dropped.

Hopefully this experience will help your sister not to do anything like that again. Really the only ones who could lose in this situation are the kids. And of course all of the children in really abusive situations who need an advocate.

Also, just a big peeve of mine on the side. Your sister has rights, as do all of us, including our children, and allowing a government worker to barge into her home and interrogate her dc in front of her undermines her rights as the parent. Don't even get me started on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child!!

Also, just a big peeve of mine on the side. Your sister has rights, as do all of us, including our children, and allowing a government worker to barge into her home and interrogate her dc in front of her undermines her rights as the parent. Don't even get me started on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child!!

You're right, she does have rights. Unfortunately she and her dh did not know about them at the time. Sounds like dh might have been home and she was at work, because I recall her saying that he was in another room and overheard the SW while she was questioning the dc.

UPDATE: Ok, get this...I forgot, but eventually sis remembered that we have a cousin who's a lawyer. Duh! :001_smile: I can't remember where he lives, but it's here in our state. We were wondering if it would be ok for her oldest two kids to come here for a visit, and whether they should be at the appt. when the SW comes back. She called him this morning instead of Legal Aid, and he said it should be OK, but to call the SW just in case and ask her. So we tentatively have planned that I will pick them up tomorrow late morning and they will stay here for 3 days. It'll be a fun visit with our kids being pretty close in age (my dd5 and her dd6 are about 6 mo. apart).

I use to work for a child protective service agency. I investigated child abuse a lot.

I just want to let you that your sister has rights. I know that in the state of New Jersey she does not have to allow the social worker to talk to the children. Unless there are grounds for harm of imminent danger to the child, the social worker has no right to speak to the children. It does not like that in what your have written. If someone refuse to let me in then I have speak to the state's attorney general, she would advise whether the state had grounds to investigate and take the case to court. If we did not, then we would have to close the case.

Your sister needs to know what her rights are in the state. I know what the statues are in the state of New Jersey, but unless you are from here, I can't site any for you.

Let us know how it turns out.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I see the whole deference point, but have been advised from someone here who worked for dept child. and fam. and she said Never let them in your house. They can sit outside on the porch and talk to the children. She said inviting them in your home opens an opportunity for them to come back b/c they don't like something, anything they see.

In the future, I would not let them in without warrant.

I just want to let you that your sister has rights. I know that in the state of New Jersey she does not have to allow the social worker to talk to the children.

She now knows that she has rights, and that they didn't need to allow the SW to talk to the kids. But the SW already has talked to them, and although the house is clean now, we just want to be sure it wouldn't look bad if the kids were not there when she comes back.

They can sit outside on the porch and talk to the children. She said inviting them in your home opens an opportunity for them to come back b/c they don't like something, anything they see.

That's what I would have advised if I had known anything like this might happen. I'm aware of my Fourth Amendment rights since I've read so much about homeschooling, but there's plenty of people who think a SW has the right to go in.

On the other hand, since it did happen, I can say in hindsight that it was probably a good thing, and that it needed to happen. From the sounds of it, her house was a mess, and she needed a good kick in the pants to get it back together. She has had a lot of support from her church, and she now has an accountability partner who will be coming on a regular basis to help her clean, keep on top of things and advise her.

I cannot imagine going out to the store and leaving him home in charge of three younger siblings. At best it would be stupid, but likely, it's neglect.

I can imagine it. I have seriously considered it but haven't done it because I know it is dangerous. I have kids who are 8, 6 and 4. When I need to make a quick 5 minute run to the $ store or post office I don't always want to load everyone up in the van. I load them all up anyway but I can certainly imagine leaving them all here to watch a movie.

Kelly

I read this book and met the author while she was working on another book. She says that deference is the number one way to get out of a social services issue.

def·er·ence (dfr-ns, dfrns)

n.

1. Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgment of another.

2. Courteous respect. See Synonyms at honor.

In her book she outlines numerous examples of families that had almost the same problems, but it was their attitude towards the social worker that determined if they kept their kids or not.

I think your sis did exactly the right thing. I know in my state she would not have been able to refuse the sw access to her kids or house and it would have made her look guilty to try. In my state sw can not gain access to your house for homeschool issues, but can not be denied for child welfare issues.

I think this is likely true because it can get to be an ego thing with the social worker. *That* is incredibly unfortunate because it's not then about what's best for the children but control or revenge by the worker for dissing her. OTOH, I think you can show lots of deference while not letting her in.... but in this case, it is too late for that.

We really can't right now...money is at it's tightest right now.

Not drugs or alcohol. She's married, and she and her husband work different shifts because they can't afford daycare. Even with the 2 jobs and no daycare costs, they're struggling.

I talked to her on the phone today and she said it was a dumb thing to do--she went to get pizza. While she was out, a couple of kids came over to ask to play. They live with their grandparents, and she thinks they're the ones who called.

The youngest is about a year and a half, the next one is about 3. Second oldest is 6, eldest is 8.

I don't know if she left all the kids there with the 8 yr old. Forgot to ask. I also don't know if it was an unsafe situation. It sounds like she was out for a few minutes.

If she left an 8 year old with babysitting duties for even a few minutes, it was an unsafe situation. It's not unsafe if everything goes as planned of course (ie everyone is watching a video or something) but it's also not unsafe to drive your kids around without seat belts if you never have to stop fast and there's not accident. The point is that you prepare because you don't know what might happen. I've been watching my own kids and had something dangerous happen where I had to know how to react. Additionally, kids are likelier to do some forbidden things--like playing with matches--when Mom is not home. I think it's important that as her family, you help her by not waffling about whether it was safe or not. The mess is not the major issue--the inappropriate supervision is.

If she left an 8 year old with babysitting duties for even a few minutes, it was an unsafe situation. It's not unsafe if everything goes as planned of course (ie everyone is watching a video or something) but it's also not unsafe to drive your kids around without seat belts if you never have to stop fast and there's not accident. The point is that you prepare because you don't know what might happen. I've been watching my own kids and had something dangerous happen where I had to know how to react. Additionally, kids are likelier to do some forbidden things--like playing with matches--when Mom is not home. I think it's important that as her family, you help her by not waffling about whether it was safe or not. The mess is not the major issue--the inappropriate supervision is.

ITA, also even if it is intended to only be a 5 minute run things happen that can delay you longer, such as bad traffic or an accident etc. Suddenly that 5 minute run turns into 30 minutes and that puts the children at higher risk of something going on.

IIRC, they are never expunged. They are kept in a nationwide database forever.

Not necessarily true. I had received a training on how a client can get the data expunged. You do need lawyer because there is a hearing before the administration of the program. The case takes a while to be heard then determined. If the judge feel that it is appropriate to be expunged, it takes the government about 6-8 weeks to remove it from their files and then another 4-6 weeks to remove it nationally.

It is a very time consuming process, but it is worth it because my understanding before I left the government, they were allowing daycare centers access to those records. Can you image that you may not get a job having that information?

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Not necessarily true. I had received a training on how a client can get the data expunged. You do need lawyer because there is a hearing before the administration of the program. The case takes a while to be heard then determined. If the judge feel that it is appropriate to be expunged, it takes the government about 6-8 weeks to remove it from their files and then another 4-6 weeks to remove it nationally.

It is a very time consuming process, but it is worth it because my understanding before I left the government, they were allowing daycare centers access to those records. Can you image that you may not get a job having that information?

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have been turned down work because there is stuff on my record, twice false reports were called on me and it lists them as unsubstantiated, and twice I called a program that is linked into CPS to ask for help and they list that stuff on there too even though it was me calling and asking for help. Absolute BS if you ask me. If I knew it would be listed I never would have called. So now my record has 4 things listed, when it was only 3 things (before the other false call about me) I was already being turned down for work. Daycares etc don't ask what was going on etc, they just see you have a list of things on your file and black ball you. It doesn't matter if they were false reports, unsubstantiated, or the parent asking for help, they believe the worst.

I have been turned down work because there is stuff on my record, twice false reports were called on me and it lists them as unsubstantiated, and twice I called a program that is linked into CPS to ask for help and they list that stuff on there too even though it was me calling and asking for help. Absolute BS if you ask me. If I knew it would be listed I never would have called. So now my record has 4 things listed, when it was only 3 things (before the other false call about me) I was already being turned down for work. Daycares etc don't ask what was going on etc, they just see you have a list of things on your file and black ball you. It doesn't matter if they were false reports, unsubstantiated, or the parent asking for help, they believe the worst.

HOW AWFUL IS THAT!? You call someone asking for help, and that's used against you when trying to get a job at a daycare?! Good grief, you'd think the daycare would WANT parents willing to call someone for help when they need it! I'm totally disgusted; I had no idea that happens.

I know someone that called CPS on a relative and the relative turned around and called CPS on them. The social worker who investigated the case determined that it was solely revenge and dismissed the case. 6 years later the family had an opportunity to adopt some of their children's' friends whose parents died and they were turned down due to the investigation, so if there is a way to get it removed, I would try.

I know someone that called CPS on a relative and the relative turned around and called CPS on them. The social worker who investigated the case determined that it was solely revenge and dismissed the case. 6 years later the family had an opportunity to adopt some of their children's' friends whose parents died and they were turned down due to the investigation, so if there is a way to get it removed, I would try.

How sad!

Lisa

"I know someone that called CPS on a relative and the relative turned around and called CPS on them. The social worker who investigated the case determined that it was solely revenge and dismissed the case. 6 years later the family had an opportunity to adopt some of their children's' friends whose parents died and they were turned down due to the investigation, so if there is a way to get it removed, I would try. "

The Constitution goes out the window when CPS gets involved in your life. Of all the malicious mischief Drama Queens engage in, calling CPS in to harass their targets is the hardest to repair.

I do think you need to hire a lawyer and do your best to get the record expunged. You'll never see the money again. There's no way to recoup that, but at least the problem won't crop up later in life.

Drama Queens (and Kings) are human wrecking balls. They set the frivolous CPS investigations in motion. As often as not they do it out of boredom, rather than spite. You can never place to much physical, social and emotional distance between you and these self-centered, self-righteous slanderers. Honesty and clean living is no protection against them. They'll target you for "acting uppity" faster than they will for anything else. Your best protection against them is to escape their notice.

Hours of hassles with CPS, damage to your reputation and thousands of dollars in lawyers fees can be avoided if you escape the notice of your local drama queen. It's worth the effort. Life is smoother without the "excitement" they thrive on.