Menu

Tell me happy dentist stories plz

Just came back from my first full & proper dental visit in a, um, rather long time ~ where I was informed that:

a) I need to wear plastic beaver teeth to fix the nasty pain in my jaw. (okay, I can deal with this - it's not comfy, but it doesn't hurt. The little box glows in the dark ~ would be cooler if the beaver teeth did!)

b) my one remaining wisdom tooth is impacted - but apparently this is not a problem right now and can be left alone (good good)

c) I have eight cavities (uh oh)

d) Two of them need "root canals" (UH OH)

e) Jaw pain is treated with valium - or, the dentist thinks I'm high strung. Perhaps both? (Filled it, but I doubt I'll use it. Then again, root canals??? ha, was this a preemptive strike on his part?!)

Meep. I've never even had a filling. My three missing wisdom teeth were removed about eight years ago - I have no memory of this event as I was knocked out cold. It hurt later when the drugs wore off, but I don't know what they actually did.

Visions of giant needles and screaming drills are dancing through my brain.

It's Wednesday. I have until Monday to wish my teeth into a happy place. Ack!

Tell me how much you love the dentist. :001_huh:

I used to hate, hate, hate going to the dentist. I went to an evil one when I was a kid, I had lots of cavities, yada, yada.... So, once I grew up, I didn't go for a long while.

Dh, otoh, is a 'routine maintenance' type of guy. So, when I met him, I tried his dentist (who was low-key) & liked him. Even though I didn't love going to the dentist, I started going every 6 mos. for a cleaning & check-up. That was about 16 or 17 years ago & I still go regularly. I've needed a small amt. of dental work during that time. The medicines & methods are *way* better than I remember as a kid. It helps that the dentist uses a topical numbing agent before they give you numbing shots. It's not in my top 10 list of fun things to do, but it's really not bad. You can do it!

Believe me, w/ my childhood fear of dentists, I would have never thought I'd be doing an informercial like this for them. LOL!

P.S. (I guess you could ask if they make glow-in-the-dark fillings. :lol:)

I don't mind the dentist. Especially if you have insurance, it's a good thing to go. They can catch a lot of stuff (including non-dental medical problems) even before you know about them. Plus, it's hard to beat that clean-teeth feeling!

I definitely think dentist should get on the bandwagon and offer spa treatments...at least foot massage and pedicures, lol! It's best to be distracted while you are there. I think they are missing out on a whole untapped marketing scheme...

Oh yeah, another thing I thought of is that some dentists have headphones so you can listen to music during a procedure (and not hear the drills). If your dentist doesn't have that, you may want to take an iPod or something similar. Blocking out the noises helps, imo.

in fact, I try to put at least 10 years or more between visits. One dentist told me years ago (and he NEVER should have done this) that I enjoyed a v....e....r....y S.......L.......O.......W rate of decay -- well, that was all I needed to know. I am happy to report, however, that today's dental industry has amazing things to keep patients comfortable/make patients think they are comfortable/minimize discomfort if they cannot keep one comfortable - doesn't make me go any more frequently, but it's good to know they are moving ahead in this area.

My one and only 'have to sit in the dentist chair' trick is to bring an IPOD. The oral surgeon I last saw (wisdom tooth extraction) thought it was a good idea, but we did need to work out a signal system if I needed to get his attention (he wouldn't go along with me running and screaming from the office :rofl:) - we decided I would raise my left hand -- raising the right hand would have been bad as I probably would have knocked into his hand holding the drill or whatever.

Valium is an amazing medication -- !:D

I'm in the same boat with lots of cavities after years of no getting work done. I just went and had 5 teeth removed (4 wisdom + 1 root canal-ed tooth that broke and could no longer get a crown) and I was put under. Maybe they could put you under and do everything all at once, including taking out your last wisdom tooth.

I hate going to the dentist. I just dont like the feel of things there. Or the smells...it all makes me sort of nauseated. I've never been hurt at the dentist, but the place just turns my stomach LOL.

The fillings are nothing are will probably be fairly quick for each cavity. My rule of thumb for myself is that I do not want to have both sides numbed at one time. I dont want to be drooling all over myself and chewing on my tongue for hours LOL. The numbing stuff sticks with me for quite a few hours afterwards. So I would go in for one visit and do the cavities on one side of my mouth and make a seperate visit to do the ones on the other side of your mouth. But that's just me.

And I just had a root canal a few months ago. I was SO NERVOUS. Seriously. But I didn't feel a thing. I took some Motrin afterwards and was fine. I was very surprised by the whole procedure. I had to lay there for a while and that got really boring, but nothing hurt. So being bored and the dental dam are my two biggest complaints with the root canal.

P.S. (I guess you could ask if they make glow-in-the-dark fillings. :lol:)

THAT would be wild. Of course, charging the glow would look weird ~ standing under a light bulb, mouth wide open. *grin*

Especially if you have insurance, it's a good thing to go.

That's how this torture - err, I mean, appointment - came about. Dh has coverage through his workplace and after I'd been complaining of jaw pain for a bit, he chased me to the dentist. "Use the *** coverage woman!" ;)

you may want to take an iPod or something similar.

Hmm. I haven't got one; think he'd mind if I brought a cat instead?

Valium is an amazing medication -- !:D

I'm quite amused, because this is the second time in my life that a medical professional has offered it to me ~ last time it was after knee surgery, when I was 18. I don't doubt that it works well, but I'd rather just have a beer. :cheers2:

Maybe they could put you under and do everything all at once, including taking out your last wisdom tooth.

They do offer that option there ("sedation dentistry") - but it's out for me because you have to bring someone else with you to drive you home after & dh has to work, so I go alone while our older watches the younger. I can't do any loopy-loo stuff, just whatever they freeze ya with...gah, there's those giant needles again. Maybe I'll have some anbesol for breakfast. :w00t:

My rule of thumb for myself is that I do not want to have both sides numbed at one time. I dont want to be drooling all over myself and chewing on my tongue for hours LOL.

Oh goodygumdrops. Mine are on each side & far as I understood, he intends to do them both at once. :drool:

I was thinking that too! Maybe I could get through those x-rays more easily if I had a buzz. :001_smile:

Now see, the x-rays ~ I didn't mind those. The first ones were boring - sit, bite, beep. The next one looked like it belonged on a spaceship. It whirred and flashed and beeped and went 'round me in a circle. Very cool. :D

Dentists are not that bad if you get a good one! Mine loves the money train that I bring lol. I have terrible teeth, so nearly every year I am having something done. Root canals are nothing! I have had 3, and the worst part was the needles from the numbing meds. Fillings are no big deal either. The only thing I will run from is another apecoectomy (sp?). That was painful.

Take some music to listen to. It will help you relax and drown out the noise. Tell the dentist that you are nervous, and he may be able to help you be more comfortable.

The next one looked like it belonged on a spaceship. It whirred and flashed and beeped and went 'round me in a circle. Very cool. :D

I can do that one ok. But I have a very difficult time with the ones where they put the bite thingys in your mouth and you have to keep them there while they take the x-ray. I don't eat before my appointments. :ack2: (closest I could find to an up-chuck smiley)

a) I need to wear plastic beaver teeth to fix the nasty pain in my jaw. (okay, I can deal with this - it's not comfy, but it doesn't hurt. The little box glows in the dark ~ would be cooler if the beaver teeth did!)

e) Jaw pain is treated with valium - or, the dentist thinks I'm high strung. Perhaps both? (Filled it, but I doubt I'll use it. Then again, root canals??? ha, was this a preemptive strike on his part?!)

Ok....I know A LOT about TMJ. I've researched it extensively and I have successfully self-treated mine for 2 years with amazing results. They wanted me to wear a mouthpiece 24/7 for 6 months..and then wear braces (on my perfectly straight teeth) for 2 years. All to the tune of $5000. Oh with no guarantees. So I went the route of researching for myself and doing self care.

Valium? That seems extreme. I know I'm high strung...I know my TMJ is stress related. I have muscle relaxers for the worst times, but rarely take them. Only for night and they make me groggy the next day.

Self care has worked wonders. I'd be glad to share if you are interested.

Sorry, I hate the dentist, but I did want to offer a bit of advice (that I learned too late):

Do NOT get all of your dental work done "one treatment after the other." I did (root canals and fillings), and I was in continual pain for months on end. I had root canals redone b/c the pain was still there (hmmm, we must have missed something), and a tooth pulled from persistent pain that they couldn't seem to fix.

Then . . . then I discover that dental work itself can traumatize teeth and create pain, and that it's a really good idea to pause between treatments (especially if your teeth are at all sensitive). Fix the teeth that are causing active pain and insist on waiting periods before moving on to the next treatment.

I'm convinced that much of my pain was caused by the continual dental work, and not decay (only one tooth ever hurt before beginning treatment). I realize that dental pain can be notoriously hard to pin down to a certain tooth, but I think the dentists should have both realized and suggested that the pain might be from trauma, and just maybe we should wait for things to settle down before diving in to 'fix' something new.

On the plus side, pain management during the actual treatment is much improved from ten or twenty years ago. My dentist prescribed valium for nervous patients (one the night before, one 45 minutes before the visit; obviously you need a ride); maybe that's his reason? I am a big fan of laughing gas, and I wear my ipod so I don't have to hear the hideous sound of the drill.

I have a super nice dentist. He has television with cable so you can get distracted by bad talkshows, etc.

I had 5 root canals. The worst thing I can say about them is that they were so so boring. I actually fell asleep during one of them. Long and boring appointments.

DS (Asperger's, sensory issues) had a filling that had to be filled. We warned him that we he would have to get a shot in his mouth, and we do not use any type of laughing gas or pre-treatment of that type. DS came bopping out after getting it filled and I asked him how it went. "Great!" he said. I asked him about the shot. He said that he asked the dentist, "Aren't you going to give me a shot?". The dentist replied, "I already did." Gotta love that! :)

Ok....I know A LOT about TMJ. I've researched it extensively and I have successfully self-treated mine for 2 years with amazing results. They wanted me to wear a mouthpiece 24/7 for 6 months..and then wear braces (on my perfectly straight teeth) for 2 years. All to the tune of $5000. Oh with no guarantees. So I went the route of researching for myself and doing self care.

Valium? That seems extreme. I know I'm high strung...I know my TMJ is stress related. I have muscle relaxers for the worst times, but rarely take them. Only for night and they make me groggy the next day.

Self care has worked wonders. I'd be glad to share if you are interested.

I'd love to know what you've discovered, what's worked for you, and such.:) This is fairly new territory for me - the dentist said he was surprised that I hadn't been bothered more by it until recently...this jaw pain kinda came out of nowhere over the last little while...but he said right away that he could tell me what that was from, after looking at my x-rays and the way my teeth don't come together right and some other stuff.

The plastic - actually, I guess they call it acrylic - thing I'm meant to wear (I have it, they did the mold thing right away and made it) is called NTI, I believe. Looks like beaver teeth. Fits over my front top teeth to keep my mouth from closing down hard or something. Feels very weird - and looks even stranger.

Yeah the valium thing - I had to laugh.. this is the 2nd time in my life that a medical professional has given me that for 'pain' .. first time was after knee surgery when I was 18 (I'm 32) .. I was expecting him to give me T3s or something, not valium! :lol:

Sorry, I hate the dentist, but I did want to offer a bit of advice (that I learned too late):

Do NOT get all of your dental work done "one treatment after the other." I did (root canals and fillings), and I was in continual pain for months on end. I had root canals redone b/c the pain was still there (hmmm, we must have missed something), and a tooth pulled from persistent pain that they couldn't seem to fix.

Then . . . then I discover that dental work itself can traumatize teeth and create pain, and that it's a really good idea to pause between treatments (especially if your teeth are at all sensitive). Fix the teeth that are causing active pain and insist on waiting periods before moving on to the next treatment.

I'm convinced that much of my pain was caused by the continual dental work, and not decay (only one tooth ever hurt before beginning treatment). I realize that dental pain can be notoriously hard to pin down to a certain tooth, but I think the dentists should have both realized and suggested that the pain might be from trauma, and just maybe we should wait for things to settle down before diving in to 'fix' something new.

On the plus side, pain management during the actual treatment is much improved from ten or twenty years ago. My dentist prescribed valium for nervous patients (one the night before, one 45 minutes before the visit; obviously you need a ride); maybe that's his reason? I am a big fan of laughing gas, and I wear my ipod so I don't have to hear the hideous sound of the drill.

He said he wants to "get as much done now as possible" - something to do with our coverage through dh's workplace.. I don't really know how that all works, this is first job dh has ever had dental coverage through.. something about doing a bunch soon, and then the rest after January when the coverage... restarts? Or something like that.

Me, I just want the soreness to go away...

I think I do have "sensitive teeth" - another fairly recent development. Things seem to bother them that never did before - like ice cream, cold stuff in general... and my beloved salt water taffy - discovered that not long ago when I was happily chewing away on some and OWWW weird horrid feelings in my teeth. :001_huh:

laughing gas? sounds like something out of a cartoon LOL

I can't take anything beforehand - I have to drive there & back and do the kid-thing for the rest of the day until dh gets home after supper...

Oooh, I just remembered--I heard my dentist has a laser now that he can use to "drill" out cavities, and he doesn't need to numb! That's what I need!

A laser? Wowsers. Hmm. I'm not so sure if I'd want that or not... the idea of someone mucking about in my mouth with a laser is a bit.. freaky. :001_huh:

He said he wants to "get as much done now as possible" - something to do with our coverage through dh's workplace.. I don't really know how that all works, this is first job dh has ever had dental coverage through.. something about doing a bunch soon, and then the rest after January when the coverage... restarts? Or something like that.

- discovered that not long ago when I was happily chewing away on some and OWWW weird horrid feelings in my teeth. :001_huh:

Please please please get a second opinion. Getting it done urgently makes it sound even more fishy to me.

I had that feeling too. It turned out to be nothing. :confused: Two and a half years later and it is still nothing. If it was cavities I am sure it would be worse by now!

laughing gas? sounds like something out of a cartoon LOL
laughing gas works great. :)

Well I can tell you that about 2 years ago a local dentist told me that I needed 12 fillings and gum surgery. I got a second opinion because I had only had one cavity before in my life... I did not need any of that. I would get a second opinion. It might be well worth it!

Oh I don't doubt him on the cavities for the most part - I looked in the mirror and I can actually see some of them... I'd get a 2nd, but it's hard to get a 1st here - there's only a few dentists here & they're busy busy.... as is, this guy flies in & out everyday from about 450km away. Bit of a commute, he has. :tongue_smilie:

Laughing gas made me feel nauseous. I felt so badly after having it that I had to sit at the dentist office for an extra 2 hours until I felt well enough to drive. (I didn't have anyone to pick me up at the time & I never have used laughing gas again.)

Just wanted to mention that as a possibility since you said you'll need to do the driving. It is fine for many people (incl. my dd who has had it), but it really threw me for a loop.

I'd love to know what you've discovered, what's worked for you, and such.:) This is fairly new territory for me - the dentist said he was surprised that I hadn't been bothered more by it until recently...this jaw pain kinda came out of nowhere over the last little while...

http://http://www.tmj.org/

Start here. Lots of info that I found very helpful. For instance that there are three basic kinds/causes of TMJ pain. Also, some people grind at night---I don't. I do however, hold my stress in my jaw and much of my self care was in learning how to hold my head and face in a different manner.

I stopped--

Sleeping with my hands under my face.

Sitting at my desk with my chin in my hand

I started--making a very conscious effort during the day to relax my face and open my mouth slightly and touch my tongue to the backside of my top front teeth. When going to sleep at night I would say the word plum over and over as it seems to relax the muscles in a certain way. I also began first walking and then running and I believe that helped as much as anything.

I also went for a massage once a week for about a month. That can get pricey but I figured it was better than the $5K they wanted me to fork over. I also saw the chiropractor a couple of times, but not for over a year now.

When I have a flair up, which can cause severe headache, shoulder and neck pain that will radiate down to my hips and toes....I begin taking ibuprofin every 4 hours for up to 48 hours. The last flair up I had was about 2 weeks ago (and not for a year before that probably) and I was able to get it under control in less than 24 hours.

Also during a flair up, I take hot baths, with a folded thick towel under my neck so that the hot water creeps up to my head and neck. I sleep with a heating pad on my upper back, neck area, and/or I use one of those things you heat up in the microwave (I'm sure they have a name) and just lay it across my face.

Oh and I found a massage therapist trained in TMJ massage which feels a bit freaky but works. She takes her fingers (with plastic glove of course) and massages inside my mouth....loosening up the jaw muscles. It feels almost like she is ripping tissue away because it is so tight. She said she had never worked on anyone whose jaw muscles were so tense.

Those are a few of my suggestions. If I think of more I will let you know.

Now going and finding out we need hundreds of dollars worth of work done we do not love.

My dentist , when I tell him I can still feel the pain even with novicain , he will shoot some more in there. Other dentist would just let you be in pain. Not Ours.

We have gone to him for 17 yrs.

ALso it helps also if people can afford a twice a year even a once a year visit. It can prevent a lot of the things the dentist found wrong with your teeth .

Sorry you will have to have all this done.:001_huh:

ALso it helps also if people can afford a twice a year even a once a year visit. It can prevent a lot of the things the dentist found wrong with your teeth .

I agree. I used to really, really, really dislike getting my teeth cleaned, but now that we have insurance that pays for it 2x a year, it's gotten better. I still don't do everything they tell me I should (flossing, for example), but it's easier to sit through cleaning.

Haven't been to the dentist in a couple of (or maybe more) years. I am of the mind - that if it doen't hurt then it's not a problem. Last time I went they informed me I had a $300.00 credit balance. JACKPOT! See good things do happen at the dentist office.

I used to hate the dentist--it would hurt! Bad! But then I made myself start going every six months, I floss every day and use mouthwash every day, and now it's pretty easy going to the dentist. If you maintain it at home and then go to the dentist for them to scrape all that plaque off, it's not bad.

Now, this past winter I had to switch dentists (due to insurance changes) and I hated the new dentist. They made me wait FOREVER and then immediately told me I needed a crown and wouldn't look at the xrays from my first dentist--they wanted to do all new ones and charge me for them all. They also wanted to break out the visit into two visits, so I'd have to go once for an "exam" and then again for a "cleaning." Swindlers. I am never going back to them.

Happily, the insurance changed again, and I'm back with my original dentist.

Well I can tell you that about 2 years ago a local dentist told me that I needed 12 fillings and gum surgery. I got a second opinion because I had only had one cavity before in my life... I did not need any of that. I would get a second opinion. It might be well worth it!

I agree. If at all possible, get a 2nd opinion. I had a dentist tell me I needed a root canal ASAP about 10 years ago. He used scare tacticts to try to get me in there, and his assistant joined in. I switched dentists, and the new dentist said nothing about that tooth *at all*. I have since had a crown put on the tooth in question, and I've had a root canal in a different tooth.

My rule for root canals is to get one when there's a lot of pain. Otherwise I don't think it's worth a root canal.

well I grew up dr Frankenstein dentist, so as an adult, I have stayed away

But this summer I found a really cool dentist

I just had 2 crowns and a filling not bad for waiting 5 years between dentist appointments.

Anyway my promise to myself is to have regular dentist visits. I will be 40 this year and really want to keep my natural teeth

I have a mouth full of crowns that I need to maintain for life. I don't want dentures in my future.

:grouphug: I don't like going to the dentist either. I had a bad experience after I got my braces off and refused to go back. After 10 years, I had four cavities which I was happy about...it could have been worse. Sadly, I don't think my teeth are going to last til old age. My parents didn't take me to the dentist regularly as a child and my mouth is full of fillings. When I went last week the dentist informed me that one molar is fractured and will eventually need a crown. Boo Hoo!

Do what I do. Every person in our family who gets through a dentist's visit, no matter how big or how small, gets a treat. I don't mean a gumball machine treat or an ice cream. I mean a trip to Target and a max of $25 dollar treat. That goes for me too. I got myself a lovely green glass container to sit on my counter in the kitchen. Every time I see it, I say to myself, "See, I was a big girl and did really well at the dentist. I got my treat." LOL Really, though, it works.

I love my dentists' because they are free of charge. But that's about the only reason I can think of that makes me love going to the dentist. Hubby has 3 brothers who all are dentists and with a big family such as ours that's something to love.:bigear:

So, you made it through ok? Was it (hopefully) not as bad as you expected?

Treat yourself to another latte tomorrow (when you will actually be able to enjoy it). ;)

I wasn't as horrifying as I'd expected it would be ~ although it's not really something I'll be adding to my rainy day list. :tongue_smilie:

I ended up putting a straw in my latte - that was just all sorts of wrong. :lol:

I ended up putting a straw in my latte - that was just all sorts of wrong. :lol:

You were able to drink with a straw? When I have cavities filled, my lips are so numb I can't close them around the straw. And since I don't eat before I go in, the first time I went to drive-thru after an appointment and got a fountain drink, it was sooo frustrating that I couldn't drink it! It takes me at least 30-45 min. before I can use a straw.

You were able to drink with a straw? When I have cavities filled, my lips are so numb I can't close them around the straw. And since I don't eat before I go in, the first time I went to drive-thru after an appointment and got a fountain drink, it was sooo frustrating that I couldn't drink it! It takes me at least 30-45 min. before I can use a straw.

Well, it was less messy than trying without! :D

It had been about that long anyway ~ and I was mistaken, I thought the two teeth they were gonna work on were on opposite sides, but they weren't. Both were bottom, on the right, so I was only frozen on the one side. Drinking from the left didn't work well, straw on the left worked a bit better. A bit. :lol:

If they numbed me there, bottom right, I'd still have numb lips and a numb nose to boot.

My nose wasn't numb, but it was rather startling to discover that up by my EAR was. :001_huh::lol:

The front right lower side of my lips were, a lot - and as it started to go away, the area just below the lip ITCHED and nothing I did changed that. Sooooo weird and annoying LOL