Menu

Kindergarden....

mlgbug

I am using rod and Staff grade 1 math. We will be finishing up their ABC preschool workbooks. There are 7 in all. One is a Bible coloring book and stories. One is a counting book. My dd did the 1st 3 last year for preK, and will finish up the rest w/ the math this year for K. By the end of the year I hope to have her working in the Rod and Staff reading and phonics. I would like to have her through at least the first section (of 5 in the 1st grade reading/phonics.) Then she will finish the rest of that and the 2nd grade math in 1st grade.. Clear as mud, huh? :001_smile: But it is what I did with my Odd and it works. I change the plans up starting in 2nd grade.

If I didn't already have the Rod and Staff reading and phonics, I would probably stick closer to the WTM suggestions and use OPGTR and R&S math 1 for K... But I want to use what I am already familiar with and have on hand.

ETA.. For other subjects we read a lot. She has the luxury of an older sis doing all subjects, so she tags along for a lot. I use the What Your Kindergartner Needs to know for art, music, literature, and as a supplement for history & science stuff.

Adventures in MFW (contains history, science and Bible), CLE Math 1, CLE Learning to Read--and will follow with Pathway 1st grade Reading or OPG, HWT 1, R&S Developing Motor Skills in Art

Some of this is "higher level" than you might want to use with a K-er, but I'm combining with my son who will be 7 in November, so . . .

Betsy

I order directly from them with their catalog. You can see samples and order online here: http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Preschool/

This says preschool books, but it is what they have for K. The books under the kindergarden link are the preschool ones. I don't know why the website is set up that way. Their schools that they write these books for do not have K. The kids start in 1st grade from the beginning, and do the preschool workbooks at home.

I am using the booklists from Before Five in a Row, Ambleside Online yr. 0 for our kindy year.

I also have the R&S Preschool books along w/ phonics pathways. I have a composition notebook that he will practice his handwriting in. I also have pattern animals and the cuisenaire rod alphabet book for more exploratory learning.

He *just* turned 5, so I'm planning a pretty low-key K'er year.

We did kindy last year...here is what we used and loved:

--Explode the Code

--McRuffy Phonics (plus reading and handwriting)

--Singapore Earlybird Math

and just added read alouds on whatever subject DS found interesting.

What i loved was it was all open & go...no real prep work which made it more likely that we'd get it done lol

We used Right Start Math (level A for kindergarten), Five in a Row, Handwriting Without Tears and several different programs for phonics. The least expensive (and very thorough) is Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.

You might also look at Spectrum workbooks for math, if your child really likes workbooks.

We'll be doing:

FIAR

BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding)

AAS (finish level 1 and start level 2)

HWT K

Math: Not sure yet. I've been going back and forth for a while. I'll probably use Right Start or Singapore.

Bible readings and narration

If your dd likes workbooks, I would suggest ETC and Singapore Earlybird Math.

Right now we are doing Pre-K that many use for K:

Rod and Staff ABC wkbks

Five in a Row

Number chart or number flash cards

Calendar

Rod and Staff books like "Bible Numbers" and "Bible Time" for Bible stories.

Occasional Adventures in Phonics worksheet.

We also have hands on things like a little clock, counting pieces, dice, dot cards, word wheels, flip books (last two I got from LLATL Blue), ABeka readers (the 4 and 5 yo ones).

Our next step up that I will consider K :

Rod and Staff Math 1

Rod and Staff Reading and Phonics 1

Little Hearts for His Glory

see dd loves workbooks and will do 10 pages at a time, sometimes asking 2-3 toimes a day....so its SO MUCH MONEY~ even printing thefree stuff the ink goes!

If you cut your workbooks and slide the the sheet he is working on into a sheet protector and use a dry erase marker, he could do the pages over and over. It would save lots of money.

I had a Kindergartener last year, and he enjoyed workbooks as well. Here's what we did.

Bible: Positive Action for Christ K program

History: Mystery of History 1 (he didn't do the mapwork or quizzes), library books

Math: Horizons K & 1st

Reading/Phonics: Horizons K program, library books

Science: unit studies along with older sister's topics

Handwriting: Mead products from Walmart

i really like MFW! i love the look of it! so expensive :(

Golly, MFW is NOTHING compared to Sonlight, which I've used the past two years. We werent' ready to go to the next Core, and I looked at MFW, and it's about half the price, with all the hands-on built in. I am REALLY excited about using it, and we love the library so the book basket should be a pleasure.

So price depends on what you're comparing it to, I guess. I just bought the new WTM and it would be pricey to pull all those spines together as well. I was reading it going, maybe I should do this instead of MFW; looks great--then I started adding up all of her suggestions and -- no savings there. Everything costs $$ :( But at least for MFW, she has done a lot of the work for me-- with SL, it's 1) more expensive, and 2) I would have to add the hands-on myself. Lose, lose; I think we're going to have a great year with the switch--we may switch for good!!

betsy

My dd will be a young k'er, so we will start off slowly. I have the Ordinary Parent's Guide for our Phonics/Reading Instuction and Saxon K for Math. Those are really the biggies for us. We'll also continue with some Kumon workbooks. Oh, and I picked up HWT. I actually got the PK set so we could work some with the manipulatives. We'll do a lot of reading together. (And since her older sibs will be doing science and history, I will also read her age-appropriate books that match those topics-just for fun.) Throw in some nature walks and play-doh, and I think we'll be doing fine, LOL.

This past school year was really disjointed for us after the baby was born in August and my son has speech delay and only turned five in October (in Indiana a child has to turn 5 by August to be eligible for kindy, which is really neither here nor there) so we really just did a lot of reading and informal things. This year we're doing www.readinga-z.com, Starfall and Headsprout for reading, Right Start Math, A Child's History of the World, and More Mudpies to Magnets for Science.

This past year for K my oldest used Phonics Pathways coupled with Bob Books, HWT, and MUS Primer/Alpha. I plan on using the same with my 2nd child who will be in K this fall, plus he will likely listen in on SOTW 1 and biology with his older brother.

With DD we used Accelerated Achievement. We tried MFW but we had already done it all on AA. We did geography based on Around the World Art and Activities, and Draw Write Now books 7 and 8 (they have questions and reading suggestions). With DS I plan to use McRuffy for most other subjects.

We "started" K on July 1st. She is an older K, missed the PS cut off by 1.5 months or so.

She has been itching to school since the curriculum started arriving so we are easing our way into it and I am realizing we are not going to have an issue making hours!

Scheduled:

-Right Track Reading

-HWT 1st

-Singapore Math K

-Violin (1 lesson a week, practice 4 more times)

-Sports (right now swimming, fall will be hockey)

-History we are just going to explore. (This week we are doing a lapbook on Abraham Lincoln because she bought a kid's DIY oil painting of him (well, of the Lincoln Memorial) this spring when we were on the east coast but before she touches it she is going to learn about him!)

-Science - I have a ton of stuff that we will explore and go in depth as she is interested.

CLE 100 math & language arts

History: I Love America vol 1

Penmanship: Universal

Science: Solomon Science Teaching Without Textbooks Vol 1

Music/Art: CLE

Reading: either CLE or Elson readers (we haven't decided if the anabaptist POV readers are a good fit for our very pro-military family.)

Ice skating

French

We will only be doing Kindergarten 3 days a week but I am planning on using:

Saxon 1

Startwrite (writing practice)

Hymns for a Kid's Heart (bible verse, prayer, and the story behind the hymn)

OPGTR

Lot's of reading practice

I might add ETC since she really enjoyed the A-C workbooks but I think they might just be busy work for her.

Here's my blog:

http://satorismiles.com

Here's what our year will look like:

Math: Math-U-See Alpha (supplemented by Right Start, Singapore and games)

Reading: Ordinary Parent's Guide (maybe some ETC)

Writing: Handwriting Without Tears - "Letters and Numbers for Me"

Literature: Five in a Row (and many chapter read-alouds)

Science: using a bunch of resources

History: SOTW 1

Art: Artistic Pursuits?

Spelling: All About Spelling

Language: FLL

We are doing the curriculum as outlined in the book "Home Education Curriculum: Kindergarten" (includes math, language arts, handwriting, social studies, science, art, health, etc)

We are also doing the Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code books. She is breezing through them (she's gone through 30 pages in 4 days) because so far this is all just phonics review for her..she's known her letter sounds for a few weeks now from the Letter Factory DVD ;).

We'll also be doing the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading once I receive it in the mail.

We are basically trying to follow this:

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/ten_to_do_before_ten.php

(except the math recommendations), using the materials listed in my signature line. We do "seatwork" 2-3x/week for no more than 45 minutes. In that time we work on learning to print letters and numbers, phonics instruction (OPG, phonics wallcharts), and math (skip counting, fact drill, manipulatives, Horizons K, Evan-Moor Math, puzzles, games, and Kumon materials). She likes Evan-Moor Spelling, Picture Word Bingo, Boggle Jr., and independently ;) spelling words with magnetic letters. That's about it for seatwork here.

Throughout the week we weave in Story Board Time [Little Folks/Betty Lukens felts] (1x/week -- they LOVE this), Messy Art (1x/week -- they LOVE this, too, LOL), Music & Marching (1x/week -- FUN, FUN, FUN. We get out the "instruments" [Melissa & Doug] & use Wee Sing & Cedarmont Kids CDs), a day at Grammy & Pop Pop's House (1x/week -- gives my oldest a break from the twins), and Read Aloud Time (daily). The daily Read Alouds for this year include Bible stories, Leading Little Ones to God, Nursery Rhymes & Lullabies, Nursery Tales (e.g., Gingerbread Man), Fairy Tales (e.g., Cinderella, Snow White), Aesop's Fables, and James Heriott's animal stories for children, and lots of poetry. We are "studying" the Human Body/Habitats for Science, and Continents/Habitats for Geography (really just reading library books in some sort of order). Also, each day we do some Memory Work (either Bible or a poem) and some Reading Practice, in which she reads aloud to me/us from her Bible story books, Little Bear Books, Jonathan James series, you name it... the latest passion is princess books!

There is also time to play and be a little girl. When weather permits, we get outdoors for sunshine and fresh air. She has a few daily chores, plays baby dolls with her sisters, goes to church, and enjoys going places. That seems to round it out nicely. HTH.

We are technically a PK year, but doing a K program - Living Books Curriculum Foundation Year along with Right Start Level A and Spell to Write and Read with Cursive First. I am also thinking of just doing 3 days a week so that I commit to spending the other two days doing outdoor, explor-y, boyish stuff.

Math: Singapore Earlybird

Phonics: OPGTR and ETC

Handwriting: HWT

Music: Color the Classics and Kindermusic class

History/Geo: continent study- very simple with big wall paper and FIAR

Literature: Reading list from Ambleside and Mater Ambalis

Science: local co-op and lots of nature walks

PE: soccer and swim lessons

Art: Artistic Pursuits and low key monthly picture study

I went way overboard with my oldest son in kindergarten. With my second son, we focussed on learning to read (difficult for him), writing letters, and Singapore Earlybird math. Everything else--science, history, art, etc.--was just incorporated into the day's play and read-aloud's.

Interestingly, my older son is now, at 13, a much better student and reader than his 11 brother. I think that's genetic though, not related to their kindergarten years!

As of today:

Math: Finish BJU Math K--move onto Abeka Math 1

Phonics/Reading--HOP, Adventures in Phonics, CLP K readers, lots of reading practice

Handwriting- ZB

Bible, History, Art, Science, Literature--HOD Little Hearts for His Glory

Critical Thinking Skills- Visual Perception Building Skills and First Time Analogies

Reading: finish 100EZ Lessons

Math: finish RightStart Math A

Science: The World God Made

History: slow & easy start on SOTW1

Music: God Made KinderMusic

Art: misc. "projects" a.k.a. construction paper, scissors, glue, stickers, crayons, paint, etc...

also: continue/finish Kumon cutting, pasting and craft books. Kumon maze books.

Lots of library books on topics that interest us--human body, animals, etc... Working our way through all the fairy tales I can think of.

Here is a brief summary of the basics...

How to Teach Art to Children

Children's ESV, Child's Story Bible, Children's Illustrated Bible

Spell to Write and Read w/Cursive First

RightStart Lvl B w/Singapore Primary 1A (U.S. Edition)

God's Creation Series: Our Father's World

Discoveries in Music

I have a link to our more extensive K5 Course of Study on Our Homeschool Blog which includes all the extras.

:001_smile:

If your child does not yet know how to write numbers, recognize them fairly well, you can start with Kumon for a month, and then move into Horizons K.

This worked great for my son.

Another math program that I think is pretty similar and we've also used it, is Abeka K. It's inexpensive, and colorful. If you choose Abeka you don't need to learn numbers as well first because it spends a little more time drilling and reviewing that.

We tried MCP and it was boring for us and also the mastery doesn't go well. We like Saxon a lot, but my son couldn't handle the Grade 1 Saxon in Kindergarten. I don't know why...he just didn't click with it. But the Horizons, which is very advanced for grade level, worked fine and he loved it.

You really could also just use all the Kumon number and math books for K, but in the end that will cost a lot more than just buying the Horizons K workbooks. (You do NOT need the TM for Horizons K. Just remember to teach and drill skip counting. I think that's pretty much the only useful thing in the K TM.)

So far I think we will be doing the following:

Reading- 100 EZ lessons, Right Brain Phonics, Bob books, AAS (not sure if that falls into this category)

Math- Righstart Level B and some Singapore Level 1A

Science- Outside play time and reading science-y type books

Religion- Basics of Hinduism

Foreign Language- Recognition of Hindi Alphabet

Art- possibly a homeschool art class here locally or a woodworking class

Read-alouds daily. ( Which I've really been slacking on lately)

Wow, now that I write it out my thoughts have gotten a little clearer- I need to go write this in my notebook!