Menu

Your secular best and worst for grades K-4

wendzu

With my first 3 kids I used Saxon math, and it was fine, but as I add more kiddos into the schooling mix, this is no longer going to work. Saxon in the early grades is just too time consuming. So this year I am going to give Singapore a try with my rising 3rd ds, rising 1st ds, and rising K dd. My older two dd though, are thriving on Saxon and enjoy it, so will continue with 7/6. We'll see how it goes. :) We also tried Calvert one year, but found that it was too hard to schedule in a 4-day schoolweek. I am not really a curriculum junkie, so I generally shop around for a bit before committing to a new program.

Calvert- was not a good fit for us though my 2nd daughter learned to read well from their program. So we're ditching that after this year.

The Reading lessons -worked well for my older two daughters and not so well for my 3rd. I think though after she is done with Headsprout we'll go through it again.

Headsprout- is an awesome program and my 6yr old loves it.

Handwriting Without Tears- was okay. I just don't care for the style of writing but it did help my oldest when she was struggling with handwriting.

Writing Tales-a good fit. My daughters enjoyed it. Just wished there was more then 2 levels.

Edited by TracyR

Best:

Starfall.com

Peak with Books

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2

MCP Math

Miquon Math

Let's Read and Find Out Science series (big hit here!)

Italic Handwriting (Getty-Dubay)

Not best, but not worst. We like it:

Spectrum Phonics Grade 1

Best:

Right Start Math

Miquon Math

La Clase Divertida

First Language Lessons

Kinderbach

All About Spelling

Five in a Row

Worst:

Math Mammoth 1st grade (I think the content is great, but Ariel kept getting overwhelmed by the amount of work on each page)

Calvert Pre-K - I could have done just as much on my own

Best:

Singapore Math

Math-U-See

Explode the Code

Alpha Phonics

Sing, Spell, Read & Write

Handwriting Without Tears

Sonlight (not secular, but it's not hard to replace a few books we choose not to use)

Worst:

Saxon Math -- the upper grade levels aren't bad but it's just overkill for younger ones!

Best:

Right Start Math

Miquon Math

La Clase Divertida

First Language Lessons

Kinderbach

All About Spelling

Five in a Row

Worst:

Math Mammoth 1st grade (I think the content is great, but Ariel kept getting overwhelmed by the amount of work on each page)

Calvert Pre-K - I could have done just as much on my own

I thought La Clase Divertida was Christian?

BEST:

RightStart Math

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Latin Prep (though I must note this isn't really designed for K-4, we just used it anyway, at a slower pace.)

I can't think of anything that I would call "worst", though we were not all that impressed with Singapore science. BFSU is much better.

Thumbs up:

FIAR (just don't use the Bible supplement and it's secular)

Little Otter's Science

Miquon

Math Mammoth (but I do agree with Aurelia that it can be overwhelming, I have cut pages up to make them short and sweet)

Golden History of the World (this is an OOP from the 60s and I just love it)

Pathway readers (they're Amish, but don't have any religious content, they do have a Little House on the Prairie feel with very traditional families)

Thumbs down:

Rightstart didn't work for either of my kids, it was just too manipulative centered

Okay:

Calvert, it's not very flexible but their reading has been a nice change of pace for both kids and their writing is surprisingly classical

Best:

Singapore Math

Getty-Dubay Italics

Sequential Spelling

WWE

Reading Reflex

Trying for first time but wish I'd found it for my older kids:

Mr. Q Classic Science

Wanted to like but sat on shelf:

English for the Thoughtful Child

Intermediate Language Lessons

Mudpies to Magnets

Bests:

Math: Saxon. I should have stuck with it instead of switching around. Bottom line is that it worked for ds, and the fact that I didn't like it shouldn't have got in the way of that.

Spelling: SpellWell. Actually goes from grade 2-5. The daily pages are fun exercises, puzzles, games. It groups words by rule or sound and includes some of those words that don't quite fit the rule, too.

Learning to Read: LLATL Blue kit & Red Kit. These are both secular. There might possibly have been one or two references to God in there somewhere, but nothing that made me cringe, and I'm very picky about that stuff. It was a fun programme and the readers were very cute. Ds enjoyed these very much and they gave him a really solid reading foundation.

Worsts:

Math-U-See: It was one the things I tried. It was so very, very dull for ds. It made math a chore.

Best:

SOTW

AAS

WWE

R.E.A.L. Science by Pandia Press

I'm still looking for grammar that I LOVE for Grammar stage. GWG was a nice, straight-forward program that we used last year. My 2nd grader will use it this year, since we already have it, but I think I'll try FLL for 3rd grade.

The only K-4 curriculum that I would never use again is MCP math.

I don't have a best yet, unless I toot my own horn lol.

We enjoyed FLL when DD first started it, but she is bored with it now.

FIAR did not work for us.

Worsts:

Math-U-See: It was one the things I tried. It was so very, very dull for ds. It made math a chore.

:iagree::iagree:

Abeka math is working wonderfully and I have found nothing Christian about it so far.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Best:

Song School Latin (99.9% secular!)

Right Start Math

First Language Lessons

All About Spelling

SOTW (may or may not be secular "enough" for you, it is for me)

Worst:

Saxon - made math ZZzzzzzz

Spelling Workout - busywork at the A level

Living Learning Life Science - I got the pattern after a few animal units, the human body section was too simplistic for us, and worst of all they have no Earth/Space teacher samples online and never responded to my inquiries. :glare:

Best

OPGTR

FLL 1 & 2 (3 nor 4 were released when dd was done w/ 1 & 2)

Miquon

AAS

The Elements

SOTW

Writing Tales (there was one story in WT1 that had, I felt, some 'religion' mixed in, but it was very slight, we discussed it for a moment, and moved onwards, especially since it was in a 'traditional tale.')

Worst

Spelling Workout - this was a horrible fit for my 'bad' speller

R.E.A.L. Science - it just wasn't what she or I either one needed for 1st or 2nd grade science

Developmental Math - I wish this was a better fit for dd, but it just wasn't

Winston Grammar

Explode the Code

Megawords

Used FIAR for a short time

Reading Reflex

SOTW (used with an older child, though)

MCP map skills books-love 'em!

Spelling Plus Dictation book

Math For Your First and Second Grader (Steve Slavin)

The Complete Book of Time and Money

WWE level 1 (will start level soon 2 and see if my son is ready)

Cursive Connections Modern Style book A (we love this!)

There is more, but I can't remember it all, and some of it is for the higher grades. I'll update if I remember the rest...

Okay, after reading a few of the other posts, I remember some of my worsts and they were:

Saxon Math

Spelling Workout

Modern Curriculum Press Math made my son cry

Blessings!!!

Dee

Edited by deeinfl

Best:

Singapore Primary Maths, with CWP and IP

Michael Clay Thompson LA

Lively Latin 1 and 2 (we've quit LL2 only because new chapters aren't coming out quickly enough)

Primary Grade Challenge Math

Megawords

The Elements

Learnables Spanish

Snap Circuits

Pretty Good:

My Pals Are Here Science -- all levels

History Odyssey Level 1 Ancients

History Odyssey Level 2 Medieval (though we've morphed history into a reading course, we still use HO as a jumping off point)

R.E.A.L. Science Life

Getty-Dubay Italics

Puertas Abiertas

Minimus

OK:

NOEO Physics I

Worst:

Spelling Workout

Calvert Spelling CD-ROM (the new one)

Unspeakably Bad:

Power Glide Elementary Spanish