Menu

Anyone choose curriculum based on Cathy Duffy's styles?

MrsMe

After reading over Cathy Duffy's book (again) has anyone put into use her styles? My dd is a Wiggly Willy and a bit of a Sociable Sue. I of course am neither.

Did anyone choose curriculum based on this chart and it worked, no matter if it worked for you? Just curious.

I've done this and had great results with it! I ended up with more curriculum than time! So I had to pare down after we started school and were working 12 hours a day!:001_huh: So now I need to be more selective, but I've been very happy with the curriculum I've picked by following her guides. Ds has enjoyed the curriculum also as well as learning more than when I just took a blind stab in the dark!

I didn't use her suggestions exclusively but I certainly looked at them and used a few of them very successfully.

She also helped me see that some programs I was considered were NOT a good choice based on my child's style. After looking at my child's traits and the program traits I realized it would not/did not work for whatever reasons.

I think her styles/charts are a good resource to use but don't use it as the "end all" advice.

My oldest just turned four, so we are still in the research stage. I have hesitated on buying this one -- sure that if I did a revision would soon follow before I actually "need" it. Of course our library doesn't have a copy. Does anyone know if she plans to revise?

Thanks,

Pam

I used and it, and still do when trying to decide if a curriculum is the correct fit for our family. My dc don't really fall into any category, but I have found her reviews to be very helpful. I usually check the book out from the library when I need to and go to the website for extras.

It saves me from having to purchase stuff I don't need or won't be good for us.

I think her opinions just pointed me in the right direction. The learning styles were interesting to me, and being able to figure out which curriculum was which learning style was also very helpful as a jumping off point. The book also helped me weed out some choices.

I think her opinions just pointed me in the right direction. The learning styles were interesting to me, and being able to figure out which curriculum was which learning style was also very helpful as a jumping off point. The book also helped me weed out some choices.

:iagree: I use that book & her website (which has updates & other curriculum listed) to see what might or might not work. My first two are a sociable sue & a wiggly willy (VERY different kids!!) I have realized what I will have to tweak, what I will have to "make time for" (because I consider it a good curriculum even if it is going to take me a lot of time to teach or prepare (a la SWR)), and what just won't work or wouldn't be a good fit due to her recommendations. But I don't not get it just because she doesn't like it or definitely get it because she loves it.

But I keep going back to her book/website just as often as TWTM (1st edition) to see what it says.

My oldest just turned four, so we are still in the research stage. I have hesitated on buying this one -- sure that if I did a revision would soon follow before I actually "need" it. Of course our library doesn't have a copy. Does anyone know if she plans to revise?

Thanks,

Pam

I'd like to know as well. The recent copy is 2004 I believe. It certainly is due to be updated, but go to her website. I think??? they may update there? Not sure. http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/

The only thing I'm concerned about is that dd and I are total opposites. If I can't teach it, nobody will be happy.

Its a great resource. I got ours from the library, and regularly check her website for reviews of curriculums not listed in the book or that have been updated. Her method really helped when I began homeschooling and was so overwhelmed with all the choices. And she saved me from making major mistakes like buying what all my homeschooling friends are using. It wouldn't have worked, and I'd have wasted a lot of time and money in the process. She helped me narrow it down and then feel comfortable jumping in with a curriculum that would work.

Highly recommended!!

Kelly

After I used her book, I discovered that ds is a Perfect Pete, I am a Charlotte Mason type, that's why it didn't work for him, went to textbooks and workbooks and he is a happy camper, I just tolerated it.:glare:

Following her advice changed our hsing for the better, and I still refer to it.:)

I'm so relieved to see you all say that you love it, because I'm using it to base my plans for next year as well. I'm a Perfect Paula, but my son is a HUGE Wiggly Willy with a little bit of Competent Carl thrown in (insofar as he hates being told what to do), so I'm trying to do a ton of hands-on stuff for him with the caveat that it has to be able to be PLANNED ahead of time (for me). It also made me realize that classical education is only going to work for us if *I* can manage to make it fun for my boy, because there's no way he can be stuck in a chair all day - he's a kid, and that's why I'm homeschooling, to get him OUT of the chairs! Heaven help me if my daughter ever wants to come home, because she's 100% Sociable Sue and would be bored out of her gourd. I digress... it's been such a great, helpful book!

I was never able to figure out my dc's learning styles. I know now that probably (and notice I say "probably") they were more visual, but the characteristics of the learning styles never matched the kinds of things that supposedly they would be interested in.

Thanks,

Pam

You could always make a suggestion for your library to purchase it. I've asked my library to purchase lots of books, and so far, they've only turned down one request, and it wasn't a homeschooling book. My library recently got the new WTM and LCC second edition because I requested that they buy them.

You could also try interlibrary loan.

Okay, so I will buy it already. :)

I would recommend borrowing it from your library first or using Interlibrary Loan :)

In the meantime you can look at this (if you can open pdf files).

Edited by sagira

Exactly what I needed!! Thank you! My son is a sociable sue, with a little wiggly willie thrown in!

Thats my dd :001_smile:. She is a true sociable sue, but is known for falling off her chair regularly :lol: My ds does not fit any of the learning styles in this book he has multiple LDs and I'm guessing that is what makes him such a non-conformist but he is just a mixture. I am a perfect paula. Between us, there is no such thing as a curriculum that fits more than one at a time. However understanding the differences has been very helpful too! I pick curriculum to fit the kids learning styles and make sure I am capable of teaching it. So far it has been a great fit.

I don't use this book as my sole deciding factor for curriculum, but I do use it as one piece of the puzzle. If the learning style is a bad fit, I will steer clear and if the learning style is a great fit, I'll take a closer look at something I might have overlooked otherwise.

I don't use this book as my sole deciding factor for curriculum, but I do use it as one piece of the puzzle. If the learning style is a bad fit, I will steer clear and if the learning style is a great fit, I'll take a closer look at something I might have overlooked otherwise.

That's a great point. I do use Cathy Duffy's charts to be a huge piece of the puzzle, but I also factor in recs from the WTM and The Old Schoolhouse reviews, as well as peer reviews. Peer reveiws are a small piece of the puzzle because it's often hard to know if that peer is unbiased, if they hold the same philosophy as me, and if all other factors are the same (time it takes to implement, teacher-intensive, ease of use, financial restraints, etc.)

I've done my best, but none of mine fit into any of her categories. I like the book, though, and it helped. Now, however, I tend to follow suggestions from people whom I've learned use things that tend to work for my dc (which can vary from dc to dc.) I still refer to her book at times, though. It has helped at times, particularly with the amount of teacher involvement needed.

I've done my best, but none of mine fit into any of her categories. I like the book, though, and it helped. Now, however, I tend to follow suggestions from people whom I've learned use things that tend to work for my dc (which can vary from dc to dc.) I still refer to her book at times, though. It has helped at times, particularly with the amount of teacher involvement needed.

My kids don't fit into any of the categories either

Learning styles are amazing! Thank goodness my oldest is a Perfect Paula (very easy to homeschool), but she really only retains what she does in workbooks. She loves hands on activities, and we thoroughly enjoyed Rainbow Science, but it is geared towards a kinesthetic (typically Wiggly Willie, Sociable Sue) learner and she did not retain anything from the labs. We had to use the extra quizzes available on Rainbow's website and once she applied pencil to paper then the lesson would sink in.

I'm keeping Rainbow Science to use with my younger kinesthetic, Sociable Sue DD and expect the labs to be exactly what she needs to retain the lessons. For her, answers on quizzes are quickly forgotten - the act of doing something is what makes the lesson stick.

Cathy Duffy's book & website are favorites in this home!

I'd like to know as well. The recent copy is 2004 I believe. It certainly is due to be updated, but go to her website. I think??? they may update there? Not sure. http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/

The only thing I'm concerned about is that dd and I are total opposites. If I can't teach it, nobody will be happy.

I'm completely different from my kids too. I'm 100% Perfect Paula. Loved workbooks. Oldest dd is a mix of Sociable Sue and Wiggly Willy and ds is a Competent Carl. I'm not sure what younger dd is yet, but I'm sure she's not a Perfect Paula. I've had to work harder to get the programs to work for me, but I have seen a huge payoff with my kids. Totally worth it. Workbooks would not work for them!

Out of curiosity, what would Cathy Duffy's suggestion be for math for a "Wiggly Willy"?

Bill

Top 3 are these...

Math U See

Moving with Math

Progress in Mathematics

There are several others she rates as an "average" (3 out of 5 rating) fit for a Wiggly Willy like Chalk Dust, Horizons & VideoText. She reviewed Teaching Textbooks after publishing this book, so it may fit in here too.

I think the charts in her book are very helpful for narrowing down searches for curriculum.

Top 3 are these...

Math U See

Moving with Math

Progress in Mathematics

There are several others she rates as an "average" (3 out of 5 rating) fit for a Wiggly Willy like Chalk Dust, Horizons & VideoText. She reviewed Teaching Textbooks after publishing this book, so it may fit in here too.

Thank you!

Bill

Thank you!

Bill

FYI, I haven't run downstairs to check on it to see if it's recommended in her book, but my wiggly dc use SM. Also, you can't tell at age 5 yet; many other learning types are still very wiggly at 5. This is why I don't teach very many 5 yos piano, and if I do, I usually give them a 15 minute lesson. Kind of hard to play the piano without staying in one place.

FYI, I haven't run downstairs to check on it to see if it's recommended in her book, but my wiggly dc use SM. Also, you can't tell at age 5 yet; many other learning types are still very wiggly at 5. This is why I don't teach very many 5 yos piano, and if I do, I usually give them a 15 minute lesson. Kind of hard to play the piano without staying in one place.

I'm not sure if I have a "Wiggly Willy", but his name is "Willy" (OK we call him William) and he can be "wiggly". So :D

And we like our Miquon-MEP-Singapore combo. And I've found "thinking" challenges seem to relax my son more than anything else. When is challenged, he gets "focused" the "wiggles" seem to go away.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I get library books they are overdue before I read them.:D

Oh, so I can just borrow yours then. ;)

'cause you know I will return it promptly. :lol:

I gave up on the library! Before I stopped going I spent more money on overdue fines at the library than I did at the bookstore!

I'm not sure if I have a "Wiggly Willy", but his name is "Willy" (OK we call him William) and he can be "wiggly". So :D

And we like our Miquon-MEP-Singapore combo. And I've found "thinking" challenges seem to relax my son more than anything else. When is challenged, he gets "focused" the "wiggles" seem to go away.

Bill

It's a great combination, IMO. I have some dc that wiggle less when they concentrate, and some that wiggle more sometimes when they concentrate, but none of them fall under the "Wiggly Willy" category. Nor do we have a William in the house (but you have 2, right?) I'm guessing that when your ds gets older, he won't be classified a "Wiggly Willy" if, in fact, he ends up fitting into and of those learning groups. All my dc use SM, even my ds who has done amazing stunts in his chair while doing hard math (he's not a Wiggly Willy because in some subjects he's very still when he concentrates.)

I would recommend borrowing it from your library first or using Interlibrary Loan :)

In the meantime you can look at this (if you can open pdf files).

Thanks for this quickie overview. This was easier than the one in the book to just look at these topics and circle them.

:)

Thanks,

Pam

I am not sure if she is planning a revision but I can tell you she is working on a website that will help you decide what to use. I will post when I have more information. Her son goes to my church and I am supposed to be a guinea pig for her new site. Looking forward to seeing what she recommends. :D

I have to say that I got the book due to this thread. My daughter who is a Sociable Sue, has not done well with MUS. She doesn't like the endless drill of lookalike worksheets, but hates computer generated drills and games even more. I started using Making Math Meaningful in addition to MUS and she LOVES it. I could not figure out what the difference was, but from this book I can see that she likes variety and things that involve me, whereas my first born is a Perfect Paula and loves MUS because he can do it w/o me and he always knows just what to expect. He was really annoyed on his standardized test that I had to read the directions to him. He asked if the direction book had the answers in it and when I told him, "no," he tried to take the book out of my hand!

My DD too! Did you get that advice from the book or website, or figure it out on your own?

The book said Sociable Sue needs variety and that one of the worst things you can do is to give them hours of independent bookwork. Cathy Duffy did rate MUS a 5 (the highest number) for 3 of the 4 learning styles, including Sociable Sue. But I don't see why, when compared to other programs like Making Math Meaningful, which requires parental involvement and all the worksheets are very different. When we start Beta, I will make sure to be more involved and actually teach the lessons the way MUS intended rather than just popping in the DVD!