Menu

Please list and link all of the history curricula you can think of for elementary...

I am currently writing one. You can see my (very messy) progress at my blog. I am not working on the website right now, just trying to get it done! I have better samples of the schedule and maps/ notebooking if you want me to email them.

Here is one for early american history... http://www.guesthollow.com/index.html

Edited by Lovedtodeath

• 2 weeks later...

Materials by Christine Miller found at Nothing New Press:

All Through the Ages (Christine Miller)

The Story of the Ancient World (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber)

The Story of the Greeks (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber)

The Story of the Romans (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber)

The Story of the Middle Ages (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber, C.M. Yonge)

The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation (Miller, Guerber, Yonge)

The Story of the Thirteen Colonies (Guerber)

The Story of the Great Republic (Guerber)

:001_smile: HTH!

Materials by Christine Miller found at Nothing New Press:

All Through the Ages (Christine Miller)

The Story of the Ancient World (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber)

The Story of the Greeks (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber)

The Story of the Romans (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber)

The Story of the Middle Ages (Christine Miller, H.A. Guerber, C.M. Yonge)

The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation (Miller, Guerber, Yonge)

The Story of the Thirteen Colonies (Guerber)

The Story of the Great Republic (Guerber)

:001_smile: HTH!

So...did she do rewrites or just republish? Is much changed in the books with her name included?

• 5 months later...

Not curricula per se, but the Complete Book of United States History is a wonderful spine for grades 3-5. It even includes extension activities and timelines. At $10, it's cheap too ;) I will be using this next year, filing in Jean Fritz books and pertinent read-alouds and readers.

There is also a Complete Book of World History for grades 4-8 that looks just as nice.

So...did she do rewrites or just republish? Is much changed in the books with her name included?

Christine Miller has I believe done some editing and some combining of volumes to create these.

From Nothing New Press:

The Story of the Middle Ages is illustrated throughout with famous paintings of its historical subjects, and photographs of the places it describes. Not only are maps present in the beginning of the book, but throughout the text as well, which greatly aids in making clear the confusing times of the barbarian invasions along with their changing boundaries. And as with the other Guerber histories, the pronunciation of personal and place names are carefully marked in the text upon their first occurance. A complete bibliography and comprehensive index rounds out the book.

As the story of Renaissance Europe was never told in a single volume of Guerber’s histories, but rather piecemeal throughout several volumes, Christine Miller has taken those portions of The Story of Old France and The Story of the English by H. A. Guerber which do tell the story of the Renaissance and Reformation, and has woven them together into a single, seamless narrative, carefully preserving Guerber’s own style. Other sources for additional material include Charlotte Yonge’s A Young Folk’s History of Germany, The Story of the Christians and Moors of Spain, and Frederic Seebohm's The Era of the Protestant Revolution, among others, and an extensive bibliography of sources is included. Where necessary, the chapters authored by C. M. Yonge and F. Seebohm have been re-written in Guerber’s unique style to preserve the continuity and consistency of the narrative throughout.

As with the other Guerber histories republished by Nothing New Press, The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation is illustrated throughout with famous paintings of its historical subjects, and photographs of the places it describes. Not only are maps present in the beginning of the book, but throughout the text as well, which greatly aids in making the narrative more clear. And as with the other Guerber histories, the pronunciation of personal and place names are carefully marked in the text upon their first occurance. A complete timeline of the events and persons mentioned in the text, a comprehensive Recommended Reading list keyed to the chapters, and a thorough bibliography and index rounds out the book.

This basically describes what has happened in creating this series. If you go to the Nothing New Press website they explain what has happened with each volume and included chapter samples if you would like to read a bit first. They do sell printed and ebooks.

I will add that we have enjoyed them.

Ancient Explorations :D

I believe that Medieval Explorations is in progress, as well as grades 3-5 for AE.

Ancient Explorations will be finished in January; it’s annotated, with scheduled SOTW and Usborne IL World History Encyclopedia. There are projects and scheduled ancient stories included. You may wonder what it is that stands out as being different from the rest, that would be the age appropriate picture books used for almost every week. Another thing that is original about this is the full color student notebook.

I just wanted to mention that after further scrutiny of Calendar Quest and the accompanying guide from Brimwood Press, I do not think I can use them. They are too religious for my conscience/taste. I love the idea of an adventure novel though, spanning the whole western civilization. Wow! Secular authors?

I (we) think that Ancient Explorations and the following Medieval Explorations should be secularized even further, possibly to the exclusion of (or at least made optional) SOTW. Or maybe we should only use the secular content in SOTW, another idea. !

:001_smile:

I (we) think that Ancient Explorations and the following Medieval Explorations should be secularized even further, possibly to the exclusion of (or at least made optional) SOTW. Or maybe we should only use the secular content in SOTW, another idea. !

:001_smile:

I like this idea. I've gone back and forth with SOTW, spent many a hours pouring over it at B&N and as much as I want to like it, since it's so highly recommended, I just don't.

• 4 months later...