Menu

What do you budget for a year?

That might not even be quite the right question to ask-- but I'm just wondering what sort of numbers might be realistic?

We're not looking at trying to get by on the library and free stuff online, which I gather is possible-- but sounds like a pain.  :-D  I know there's a radical spectrum for this topic, but if anyone is comfortable throwing out some numbers, ideas and/or experiences in this area, I would be very interested. Probably I should ask for information regarding a first child needing all curriculum/misc. bought, since that's where we'll be starting and that is presumably the most pricey.

For elementary grades? $100 per year on a tight-but-doesn't-have-to-be-free budget. $200-300 on a we're comfortable but not rolling in cash budget. $400+ on a money really isn't tight in our house budget.

This is for curriculum and supplies for home based teaching. Outside instruction of any kind will run you more.

• Like 1

I never had a set budget. Some years I spent more, others less.  Once I knew about a curriculum I wanted to use I would make note of the price and consider where in my budget the money would come from.  Could I get it used?  Could I borrow it from a friend?  Is it something I could do without or was it truly the only thing to fit the bill.   Not to throw your budget ideas off kilter, but if you do a co-op or online class those expenses add up quick.  I knew I needed online foreign language and math when we hit Algebra 2, so my budget this year was large and any extra chunks were set aside for those big ticket classes.    So for me, it's a progressive budget as I figure out the next piece for our next year.  

If you have young ones...I highly recommend looking for a homeschool store and buy used.  You will often make some curriculum purchase mistakes in the early years of homeschooling...don't go for new just yet.  

• Like 2

Yes, I'm talking elementary-- see, I didn't even know to specify that, although I probably should have.  :-D  I'm not going for the big guns immediately-- I plan on going very basic for pre and K even if it might be more fun to get some "real" stuff.  I throw $25 a month at it currently, but that mostly goes towards books at the moment, and some longer term items. (I'm looking at pre-K this year.)

Homeschool stores-- do those probably only exist in big cities...?  I wonder if Salt Lake would have one.  That's probably our closest big city. That or Spokane. (We're in Montana.)

For elementary, I think math is the biggest outlay in our house. I've used really cheap or free phonics programs though for the most part. If you start looking into AAR and similar you get into some $$$. The first level and manipulatives for RightStart have been my biggest single point purchase for my youngest kids- over $200, but then this year my math was only $80 for level B, and then youngest is trying Singpore, which was something like $11 per workbook. So the cost gets defrayed over using them a few years. 

Now I spend $$  like it's going out of style on books and other "fun" type programs like Art, Bible study, etc., however those aren't necessities. They're because I have a serious book and curricula addition. :blushing:  But if you said what do I *have* to have for early elementary, initial math manipulatives aside I think I could get it done for $250-$300. I've come a long way from spending $800 on "the box". Now I piece it together myself. 

Thank you! The little details are very helpful.  I have a book addiction myself and I refuse to think about all I've spent in that area...it's my hobby AND it's good for the kids, so it's justified in our household.  :-D

I don't plan to buy a curriculum for teaching reading, I don't think-- well, not a fancy one.  I have SWB's OPG that I bought used, and a box of Bob books also used, that I'm hoping will fit the bill, paired with lots of one-on-one of just random practice and enforcement, since he loves that.  :-)  So yes, probably more math and such things. Who even knows after that. 

• Like 3

Yes, I'm talking elementary-- see, I didn't even know to specify that, although I probably should have. :-D I'm not going for the big guns immediately-- I plan on going very basic for pre and K even if it might be more fun to get some "real" stuff. I throw $25 a month at it currently, but that mostly goes towards books at the moment, and some longer term items. (I'm looking at pre-K this year.)

Homeschool stores-- do those probably only exist in big cities...? I wonder if Salt Lake would have one. That's probably our closest big city. That or Spokane. (We're in Montana.)

Don't look for a homeschool store. Go to Rainbow Resource and request a catalog. I know it is nice to hold things in your hands, but there is so much more available than you will find in the few retail stores that are out there. Most online vendors have sample pages on their website.

Get in touch with your local community, there may be used curriculum sales/exchanges.

• Like 5

Some of this also depends on what categories fall under "homeschool" to you. I think mostly of curriculum, stuff I probably wouldn't be buying if my kids were in school. Regular books, music lessons, or a zoo membership, while educational, are stuff I would hope to budget for regardless of where my children were learning the three R's.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Thank you! The little details are very helpful. I have a book addiction myself and I refuse to think about all I've spent in that area...it's my hobby AND it's good for the kids, so it's justified in our household. :-D

I don't plan to buy a curriculum for teaching reading, I don't think-- well, not a fancy one. I have SWB's OPG that I bought used, and a box of Bob books also used, that I'm hoping will fit the bill, paired with lots of one-on-one of just random practice and enforcement, since he loves that. :-) So yes, probably more math and such things. Who even knows after that.

We've used Teaching Reading with Bob Books (Brandy Vencel's website) and Progressjve Phonics- both free, so those are other alternatives too if you get bored or need more to add in without spending $$$.

I agree with Maize on the Rainbow Resource catalogue. I've signed up for ALL the catalogues. MP, SL, Timberdoodle and on and on. Then I narrow down and look to see what I can at convention. We have a Mardel store here too and they are now carrying quite a selection you can go flip through if you have one. They have R&S, MP, Apologia, SOTW, Horizons, and a ton of others I can't think of. Ours has an entire 1/4 of the store now dedicated to homeschool materials.

Some of this also depends on what categories fall under "homeschool" to you. I think mostly of curriculum, stuff I probably wouldn't be buying if my kids were in school. Regular books, music lessons, or a zoo membership, while educational, are stuff I would hope to budget for regardless of where my children were learning the three R's.

My budget would be horrifying if we added all of that in!! :)

I budget $600/yr, with three kids (but this is the first year I'm actually buying for three). So far it's been fine for elementary. I've been reusing curricula with the younger kids, which helps a lot. And also I've been putting money into the homeschool budget since dd1 was a baby, and built up quite a stash of things before we even started :blush:. And I buy used online, usually older editions when I can find them at a steep discount, and hit library sales, and such. The $600 covers curricula, books, manipulatives, and most school supplies; music lessons and museum trips and such don't come out of the hs budget. Also I have an amazon credit card, and I put most everything on it, so that gives me an extra $10/mo or so in amazon points. Most years I spend half in the summer before the school year starts, and the other half as things come up during the year. This year I finished with nearly $100 left over (most years the budget is used up by Feb/Mar).

One thing I've noticed is that curricula gets pricey, but "real" books are relatively cheap used. I've gotten 20-odd books on a topic for $100-$120; do that every year for 10 years in different areas, and you build up a nice reading library :).

Eta: generally, I feel like me and my budget fall in the middling range. I can afford most book-centered curricula, and my habit of buying used means I can stretch my budget to cover a lot, including the occasional pricey new curriculum. But otoh, right now outsourcing is pretty much way out of my budget, so idk how that's going to go in the future.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1

Thank you! The little details are very helpful.  I have a book addiction myself and I refuse to think about all I've spent in that area...it's my hobby AND it's good for the kids, so it's justified in our household.  :-D

I don't plan to buy a curriculum for teaching reading, I don't think-- well, not a fancy one.  I have SWB's OPG that I bought used, and a box of Bob books also used, that I'm hoping will fit the bill, paired with lots of one-on-one of just random practice and enforcement, since he loves that.  :-)  So yes, probably more math and such things. Who even knows after that. 

If I were doing it all over again from the start, I'd have bought Cuisinaire rods and (maybe) Miquon workbooks for math, using the free ed-unboxed videos as my guide.  Lots of other expensive mathy stuff really wasn't necessary. 

It hasn't been consistent for me. DH typically gets a bonus in March, of which we've put an extra $500-$1500 into the school category depending on what I was wanting to buy that year. We also budget $130 monthly. So that's $2,000 to $3,000 annually for three kids. Supplemental academic classes are included in this number, but extracurriculars like dance and swimming are budgeted separately.

I found Math Mammoth early on so I've had math easily covered for a while.

Edited by abacus2

I don't closely budget, I just tend to pay attention to how much $$ we have reasonably available for school. If we are including a book budget, the number is far, far higher.

That said, our basic stuff isn't terribly expensive: Math Mammoth, FLL, OPGTR, etc. I tend to cover the basics and then consider what else I can do for things like science, history, art. We've done STOW every year and if things were really tight, I'd skip the AG, even though I use it a lot. For science this year I bought RSO Chemistry - in elementary, if I was trying to limit spending, I'd use the library.

So I'd say that a base number for me is $200 and it flows up from there based on want and cash flow.

It really depends on our needs for the year.  I find it easier to work backwards.  I start with my dream list for the year, writing it around January and editing through the spring.  It's a spreadsheet where everything is grouped by subject, with price (including shipping) and where to buy. The total is at the bottom.  I think my total this year was figured to be $500.  From that, I was able to look at things more objectively: look at the style of the program I wanted, why I was drawn to it, and find similar, less expensive programs.  Or, make it a priority and decide that was where the bulk of the money would go.  Then I'd look at used book sales and keep my eye on company websites.

This year I managed to spend $250 for 2nd grade, thanks to a few changes (science went from $70 to $15, after a change in program and a used book store) and sales.  The bulk of that is in two subjects: math and language. I'm okay with that. :) Last year we spent next to nothing thanks to free math, free dictation, old speller, and hand me down books.

Elementary is even a huge spectrum.  what I spend on 1st grade is nothing compared to what I spend on 5th.

My 5th grader last year took 2 online classes, so he was probably around 800-900

My first graders I spent about $400 for 2, and that included switching math curriculum mid year.

This year for second grade my budget is $500 for both.  I have to have a budget or I will never stop buying.

I don't have a yearly budget. I budget by month. I know what expenses I have each month and buy a little at a time throughout the year around that. I know in August and January I have to pay co-op fees for the semesters. I know in March I have to buy costumes for my kids' recitals. I know in May I have recital fees. I know in Oct-Dec we will be slowly buying Christmas and holiday stuffs. I know hs convention is in April so I set aside a chunk around then to get the things I get there and for admission and lunches out, classes for the kids there, etc. The things I purchase online from Amazon or whatever I just buy here and there throughout the year when I need them. I have a plan for the year, but I may not purchase all of the literature books or even texts for the whole year at once. I will just purchase the next coming up. I can watch used book sales and such as I am going that way too. I save a lot to my Amazon wish list and watch for the price to go down or for a good quality used copy to come up.

When my older kids were in elementary school, I budgeted about $200-300 per child. More for the older kids and less for the younger kids (who got some materials passed down). That increased once they started taking high school level classes and online classes in middle school. I spent about $1000 each year for 7th grade and for 8th grade for my oldest. So now I'm spending a lot on my oldest kids, but hardly anything on my younger kids who just need new workbooks & crayons. I will only spend about $50 on my rising kindergartner and about $100 for my rising 2nd grader for this fall, because we already own most of the materials we need.

That doesn't include museum/zoo memberships, music lessons, or other extra-curricular stuff like dance or sports. Those are things we would budget for even if our kids attended school.

• Like 1

For us, it really depends. And the price of curriculum really varies, depending on what you get. I try to get stuff that I can use year to year with my kids. For example, we use Rod & Staff for English and the book is not consumable. I'm on my third go around using Story of the World with younger elementary. And then sometimes you spend $$ on a curriculum and realize it is really not what you want (me and Mystery of History last year) and that will throw your budget off. And then sometimes a crisis happens (like finding out your kid has been gaming the system with Teaching Textbooks and hasn't learned a thing) and you end up going with a whole new curriculum mid year. I really try to be careful with my purchases, though. I like shiny, new curriculum as much as the next gal, but I try to just satisfy that urge by window shopping and not buying.

Most years I'll use an Excel spreadsheet and list each child and each subject and what the materials are going to cost for each subject so I can get an idea what I am spending.

I'm not a big spender. We have spent between $40 and $250 for 2-4 kids. We reuse a lot of what we buy. We like free online, free vintage-or paid vintage, still usually very cheap, like $1, and library materials.

I don't find it to be a pain at all. in fact, i would say that it's much easier to me than shopping. There's no real investment. especially with library stuff. We're there anyway. If I happen upon something wonderful, which I do very often, I grab it and take it home to try. Very little thought. Whereas, when I make a purchase, I agonize over it for a long time before deciding, and I feel terrible if it doesn't work out. Even if it's cheap. 

I'm super flexible. I don't like schedules and firm plans. I'm definitely more of a seat of the pants kind of lady. When you are choosing, it's really important to know who you are and what you want your day to look like. 

This year, I'm expecting to spend a lot. Well, for me. I'm getting workbooks for my little ones, some extras for my middle kid, and a science center membership to enroll our kids in a series of science classes. We have never done something like this. I'm a little nervous about signing up for a big series of classes. Not only is it a big financial investment, but also we live 60 miles away, it's a huge, crowded, chaotic place, and the kids' classes are staggered. I'll have two kids in class in the morning, and two kids in class in the afternoon, and Luna tagging along all day.  The whole thing stresses me out. 

I know that a lot of families do classes like this all the time, and prefer it. That's not me. 

• Like 3

It depends a lot on what is working (and whether I can get things secondhand, which is easier here than it would be a lot of places). I can get things for less than full price via the local Yahoo! sale group, a homeschool consignment store, and occasionally a library book sale and a school district surplus sale.

I got all the Miquon stuff except the workbooks (which are cheap) used, at the consignment store.

If you know what you want well in advance, you can watch for sales online. I've been able to do that with all the SOTW stuff after the first level.

As for things I've bought new: Phonics Pathways is like $20, which was great while it worked for DS, but when I needed something else, Logic of English Foundations B was ~$100 and then C another 60 or so, plus paper/card stock and ink. So a huge range. I've probably spent up to $500, or even a bit more, some years.

Don't forget to count school supplies and fees for any homeschool-related activities or field trips.

Edited by whitehawk

Our first year, I had $500 for two kids. That was sort of bare-bones since we also used that budget for museum memberships and nature center classes.

I now have $1500 for 3 kids - grades 2, 5 and 7.

This is pretty spot on with our budget for 3 kids.

I see so much waste and consumerism in the homeschool curriculum market these days. I am aware of the fact that the current charter school stipend in California is $2,600+ per child per year, but that feels just plain wrong to me on so many levels.

A fellow oldtimer and I were comparing notes the other day and she said that a common budget for her circle was $100 a year, half of which went for a new Saxon book for the oldest child.

I was the curriculum junkie in my own circle when my 29 and 25 year olds were homeschool age and IIRC, I spent a whopping $100 per year PER KID until my ex husband got sick and couldn't pay his child support any more.

I don't think the drastic increase in average curriculum budgets translates into better educations for kids so much as increased profits for shareholders. I see too many new homeschoolers spending too much time and energy on what pretty much boils down to "shopping".

That can happen with any sort of consumer goods. Homeschooling curriculum isn't immune to the same problems we have with electronics, fashion, cars, toothpaste, and everything else in the modern world.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 7

I don't have a budget for homeschool. I do carefully consider each purchase and try not to buy new curriculum and additional resources impulsively. I also try to buy used curriculum and general books if possible. I rarely buy new picture books or chapter books (to go along with things like FIAR, MFW, VP). I hit the used book store frequently to look for those type books. It would be hard for me to even guess a number.

Edited by MyLife

This year I have two middle schoolers, two elementary age, and two preschool/kindergarten age plus a toddler who will want a few things so as not to be left out. I don't budget. We're 'buy what you need when you need it and it costs what it costs' sort of people. So far for this upcoming school year I've spent right around $1000 but $300 of that was a new printer which is a sort of household/sort of homeschooling expense. I have approximately another $250 of items that I know will need to be purchased up front. Yet another $250 or so for ongoing book purchases, random math manipulatives, and replacement supplies throughout the year. This is curriculum, curriculum required books, and other homeschooling specific materials only. Classes, lessons, field trips, etc are extra. We only have access to a small, not very kid friendly library and the kids have been in school for the past couple years so we've gotten rid of just about all the materials we had. We also use teaching textbooks which add up fast.

Throughout the year and especially when I am planning for the new school year for curriculum, I put everything I might want to buy into an Amazon wishlist. Then, as it gets closer to the fall, I go through and decided what I actually want to purchase. Then I try and find all the things that I want to purchase used in good condition. I try to purchase everything I can used. We set aside our tax refund for school expenses although I usually never spend the whole amount. So, I guess the amount of our tax refund is our budget. Some years are more than others depending on how many kids I have in school and what their needs are. For example this next year for curriculum for my three oldest, I know I need to buy AOPs Algebra, Beast Academy 3 workbooks, some French materials, two Latin textbooks, and some new piano books.

I do have to say that when I am planning for each school year, I also spend some funds on our home library. The point made above about curriculum being more expensive than real books is really great. We don't really like online or device reading and the libraries here aren't that great. Plus, the nearest one is 30 minutes away. So, if I want my kids to read a lot we need to have a home library. Someone already mentioned this but the money I have spent on our home library has always been useful and never wasted. Especially when you can find used books, the money you spend on real books just goes so much farther than on curriculum. So, again as an example, this year I want to purchase some drawing and sculpture books, three biographies of artists for our collection, some geography type books, and a few new nature books on various creatures. This is part of my budget and as a result of this we have a wonderful home library. I do buy books throughout the year for our home library. I also plan on purchasing a few books each year for my own self- education.

Finally, I take into account school supplies we need- pencils, notebooks,etc. This year I want to buy a nice whiteboard instead of the cheap little one I have. I also want to purchase a nice globe for our geography studies. I also need to get a few coloring books for my almost 4 year old daughter that wants to "do school" too. I might try to find a few special new picture books for her too. In the past I have purchased a used Brock microscope, art supplies, manipulatives, etc. I do try to be rather minimal with these extras because there is just so much stuff out there and it can be easy to go overboard. Putting stuff in my Amazon school wish list allows me to think about it for a while before I actually purchase it which helps me both with my budget and with clutter. And it is nice having a list for finding things used like at curriculum sales and such. For example, the only math manipulatives I have now are cuisenaire rods (we love Miquon) and base 10 blocks. I had more stuff that I found used and some stuff people gave me but I think I am becoming more of a minimalist so I got rid of everything else because we never used it.

I think I am rambling now but I hope this is helpful.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

I see so much waste and consumerism in the homeschool curriculum market these days. I am aware of the fact that the current charter school stipend in California is $2,600+ per child per year, but that feels just plain wrong to me on so many levels.

A fellow oldtimer and I were comparing notes the other day and she said that a common budget for her circle was $100 a year, half of which went for a new Saxon book for the oldest child.

I was the curriculum junkie in my own circle when my 29 and 25 year olds were homeschool age and IIRC, I spent a whopping $100 per year PER KID until my ex husband got sick and couldn't pay his child support any more.

I don't think the drastic increase in average curriculum budgets translates into better educations for kids so much as increased profits for shareholders. I see too many new homeschoolers spending too much time and energy on what pretty much boils down to "shopping".

That can happen with any sort of consumer goods. Homeschooling curriculum isn't immune to the same problems we have with electronics, fashion, cars, toothpaste, and everything else in the modern world.

Could not agree with you more. This 100%.

Curriculum can play into parent anxiety about wanting to make sure we are doing a good job. When a new curriculum is getting alot of buzz it is easy to want to jump on board. It is doubly hard for me because I love to piece together my favorite parts of many things. I can easily fall into the "curriculum junkie" mind set.

I am fortunate that the co-op support school my kids attend for enrichment has an epic library filled to the brim with every curriculum you can think of. They let you check it out for the whole year which is nice. Having access to hold and use those satiates my desire to purchase it.

• Like 1

That might not even be quite the right question to ask-- but I'm just wondering what sort of numbers might be realistic?

We're not looking at trying to get by on the library and free stuff online, which I gather is possible-- but sounds like a pain.  :-D  I know there's a radical spectrum for this topic, but if anyone is comfortable throwing out some numbers, ideas and/or experiences in this area, I would be very interested. Probably I should ask for information regarding a first child needing all curriculum/misc. bought, since that's where we'll be starting and that is presumably the most pricey.

Crazy spectrum really.  For example DS' math course alone last year was $600 at the CC.  High school is far more expensive than elementary and I would splurge there whereas I will not on elementary anymore.  The difference is focus.  My goal in K-5 is foundational.  I can do that with strong reading, basic lang. arts curriculum, and a solid math program.  I'd far rather spend $$ in high school.

Then you look at what I do for K and it's some ink and copy paper.

For elementary, grades 2-5, assuming reading readiness:

Math curriculum (used copy Rod & Staff) $20 no TM

Copy of FLL - $30 or so with TM

Copywork - make your own of verses, scripture, poetry, quotes

Handwriting tablet from Wal-Mart $5

Library - used liberally for science & history

So I could easily do a child in K-5 for $100 for the year.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm talking elementary-- see, I didn't even know to specify that, although I probably should have.  :-D  I'm not going for the big guns immediately-- I plan on going very basic for pre and K even if it might be more fun to get some "real" stuff.  I throw $25 a month at it currently, but that mostly goes towards books at the moment, and some longer term items. (I'm looking at pre-K this year.)

Homeschool stores-- do those probably only exist in big cities...?  I wonder if Salt Lake would have one.  That's probably our closest big city. That or Spokane. (We're in Montana.)

How good is your public library and how good is the story time program there?

Because this would change my answer quite a lot.

PreK/K - I would do Five in a Row.  I don't do early math (intentionally) and OPGTTR should be fine assuming no organic reading issues, so sayeth the mama of a few dyslexics. ;)

• Like 1

YES!  It can happen with anything, I was addicted to buying cloth diapers!  For my kids to poo in! :lol:

• Like 1

One thing I found important to remember between buying 2nd grade stuff a decade ago and buying it now is that prices change.  I have an old price list from Math U See and looking at the current options, the packages have doubled in cost.  It's not so much that things were cheaper back then or that we used our money more wisely, but that between inflation and tweaked editions, it's hard to compare spending over the years.

• Like 2

We have needed Barton (after trying AAR),and that makes my costs higher. Luckily (?), I have two in a row that need it, so I am getting double my money's worth. ;)

Otherwise, for elemwntary, we have been liberal library users, and I like our local used curriculum sales. Probably $100 for the year exclusive of Barton.

My budget personally depends on each child. I think on average , I spend 500 on curriculum for each kid, plus 300 each for music lessons. This comes out of my own pocket because I choose Christian curriculum.

Now I also get a stipen to spend because we homeschool through a charter. If we didn't, the above amount would be it.

That amount is over 2 grand a year, for each one. This money I spend on art lessons, swimming lessons, monthly kits and other items.

Edited by Peacefulisle

K-7 About 500 for both kids. We made heavy use of library, field trips, Awana, park days, free online programs and apps, bartering for Tutors, yard sales etc.

8th- about 1000 each (due to use of one or two outsourced classes whether locally or online)

9-10th About 4000 each kid each yr (due to outsourcing)

Graduate early and go to CC about 2400 each year

None of this includes sports or technological devices which we would have paid for anyway and varies so much by child and season of life.

:)

Edited by Calming Tea

Yes, our old library preschool story time was truly enriching with a story, a movie, and a related craft and papers to take home!

Here they spend 30 minutes doing singing, stretching, hand shoulders knees and toes stuff and then they read a really short book for less than ten minutes. (And that's fun too but it's not super educational ) :)

YES! It can happen with anything, I was addicted to buying cloth diapers! For my kids to poo in! :lol:

Ok...not sure if it is the mood I am in today or what but I laughed so hard at this :) This is so fantastic! My daughter wanted to know why I was laughing and so I told her which caused her to crack up. ;)

• Like 2

It depends on a few things. One, can you get anything used? I used Saxon math for my oldest for years, and earlier editions are really cheap. But then my second child used Singapore, and now both of them are using AOPS, and those don't come used or cheaply easily. I have been able to reuse many things, but still, there's an initial outlay somewhere.

It also depends on how good your local library is. I get a lot of books from mine, but there are a few they haven't had, or that aren't available, or I've needed two (for Shakespeare, it's helpful to have two so we can read out loud together), so I've needed to buy them. I keep a list of books that I'd like so if I find them or my parents see them at sales, used, we can snap them up.

In the early grades, I got away with not spending more than $100 a year total. This year, I will have spend about $500 on materials and books and supplies, plus another $500 for an outsourced class for my tenth grader. I buy a lot of stuff in a big chunk in the spring, but I also budget about $30 a month for incidentals -- field trips, a good sale on something I want for an upcoming year, replacing art supplies. I can Homeschool on less, for sure, but you pay with time if you don't pay with money.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to buy whatever I wanted, so I did. I paid attention to price because I hate spending more than I need to, and I was raised to be budget-conscious.

That said, I still spent a lot, particularly considering I have one child. I'd estimate I spend $700-900 each year. In addition to the curricula itself, that includes artist quality art supplies, a lot of math manipulatives, and a few expensive pieces of equipment like a research-quality microscope and a Lego Mindstorms robotics kit.

It doesn't include museum/zoo memberships, trips to the symphony/theater, piano lessons, karate/swim classes, or books purchased for pleasure reading because we would do those even if we weren't homeschooling. It seems like a lot until I remind myself that private schools cost far more than that, even when they aren't very good (our options where we used to live were dismal).

One thing I found important to remember between buying 2nd grade stuff a decade ago and buying it now is that prices change.  I have an old price list from Math U See and looking at the current options, the packages have doubled in cost.  It's not so much that things were cheaper back then or that we used our money more wisely, but that between inflation and tweaked editions, it's hard to compare spending over the years.

True, and fortunately it also works the other way around: if you're willing to wait awhile, chances the pricey new curriculum is going to end up all across the Internet used, for cheap. (And it helps if there's a revised or newer edition driving the price of the old ones down.)

I don't set a yearly budget, but I should because really, when funds are limited and you don't set a budget, you end up feeling guilt about every purchase (or at least I do), even if you're getting a mint copy of a popular $150 curriculum for $25 (which should be a triumph, and is a good argument for allowing yourself a monthly "Just in case I come across a good deal" rollover budget). So this is a very good question, I think. Art supplies are the biggest recurring expense around here-- I have to restock every 4 months or so (and I buy in bulk, so that's about $60 every 4 months). I try to satisfy my love for online ordering with wish lists and putting items on hold at the library. And our biggest yearly expenses are the 3 outside activities my kids take part in, which are not specific homeschool-related expenses. But for curricula? We probably spend about $100 per year per kid, thanks to reusing materials, buying used, a super library system, and my general dislike of using anything with lots of moving parts).

It depends on a few things. One, can you get anything used? I used Saxon math for my oldest for years, and earlier editions are really cheap. 

:iagree:  Yeah, I buy almost everything used.  I can't pay 120 bucks for Saxon.  DD15 uses the high school Saxon books and I usually pay about $30 for a year of it.  You have to keep watching on eBay, but you can find some really good deals if you're not in a hurry to buy.

I think I must be spending way too much! I do have a bit of an issue and tend to buy a lot of extra curriculum in the name of "offering up an abundant feast at a moments notice". My boys are five years apart, so there hasn't been much I've been able to reuse yet, but it's coming.

Someone mentioned music lessons. I know I live in an expensive area, but we spend nearly $6,000 a year for piano lessons. We have shopped around and $125 an hour is the going rate around here[emoji15] now, if they were in school, I'm not sure if they would have these extra lessons....probably, but not necessarily if there was a decent music program. They get a full musical education voice, theory, etc) via choir, and that just costs time and about $100. Once they move up the skill ladder, they earn $3-10 per service.

Online classes can rack up, too!

Edited by MDL
  • Like 2

I know I live in an expensive area, but we spend nearly $6,000 a year for piano lessons. 

:svengo:  Wow...it must be expensive where you live!  I don't know about piano, but our homeschool group has guitar lessons for $45 a month (once a week).  

Last year, I budgeted $1000 per child (2 kids). I bought quite a few things I didn't even use, but some of that was getting math manipulative that will be useful for little brother in a few years.

This year I budgeted $1000 total ($500 per kid).

I think I must be spending way too much! I do have a bit of an issue and tend to buy a lot of extra curriculum in the name of "offering up an abundant feast at a moments notice". My boys are five years apart, so there hasn't been much I've been able to reuse yet, but it's coming.

Someone mentioned music lessons. I know I live in an expensive area, but we spend nearly $6,000 a year for piano lessons. We have shopped around and $125 an hour is the going rate around here[emoji15] now, if they were in school, I'm not sure if they would have these extra lessons....probably, but not necessarily if there was a decent music program. They get a full musical education voice, theory, etc) via choir, and that just costs time and about $100. Once they move up the skill ladder, they earn $3-10 per service.

Online classes can rack up, too!

Wow!  Is that for one kid or more than one? 

I think you can spend as little or as much as you want to.  There are lots and lots of free stuff out there. 

You can buy used things and save a lot. 

You can also sell your old stuff for as much as you spent on it and make your cost 0.

We belong to  a charter now so I spend all the money they allow us.  We don't get as much as the others listed here in our state.   :(     I would love that. 

Before that I bought Oak Meadow and just passed that down.  So it was 200-300 a year.  

One thing I always remind myself is that whatever we pay to homeschool, it is always far, far less than private school tuition. Where we live, there are no private schools-Waldorf, Christian, anything--for less than $15K per year, and most are at least $20K per year. So, honestly, if we spend a few thousand dollars on homeschooling per year, I consider that a huge bargain. 

We budget every cent, so the amount is always slightly different each year, depending on what we're studying. (For example, I think we'll need a science dissection kit this year, but we don't need that sort of thing every year.) But on average, for two children (rising 2nd and 5th graders) I'd say we spend about $500.00 total per year on actual supplies and curriculum. That is for everything, though: books (those I can't get from the library), actual curriculum like Math U See, art supplies, printer ink, pencils, educational board games I've specifically identified for use as part of school, etc. 

Then we spend about $200.00 total per year to participate in our co-op, which is mainly for friends and enrichment. 

Then we spend about $2,500.00 total per year on extracurriculars/classes. For this coming year, we'll spend about that much to put one child in ballet, one child in music lessons, and to finance a family pass to an indoor pool so we can swim an unlimited number of times throughout the year. We also usually go see a play once per semester. There might be some museum admissions in there, too, but most of our museums are free. 

So, on average, I'd say we spend about $3000 - $3500 total for two elementary kids, but again that number includes every little thing, down to notebooks and paper. But like I said at the beginning, $3000 a year is peanuts compared to the $30,000 it would cost us to send two children to private school. So, I think a lot of it is how you look at it and think about the true value of a home education (which is priceless, honestly, in my opinion). 

Edited by EKT
  • Like 1