Menu

s/o the other medical threads...loudly verbally asking for info

Excelsior! Academy

I have encountered this increasingly more in the past few years than in the previous ones.  Dentist, medical, and occasionally vision receptionists loudly stating reason for being seen or x drug or x insurance company.  I really wish we had a separate area for check-in.  Most of the time we are only visiting a doctor for basic, boring, standard care, but it really isn't any one's business in the waiting room whether we are there for routine care or something more invasive.  Why do they have to be so loud?!  

Do you encounter this as well?  Does it bother you?

• Like 1

I've never been asked most of those those questions in a waiting area. Sometimes, in a nook, with a normal voice I've been asked the 'reason for coming in' along with name, address, etc: but all of that is considered personal information. Nobody broadcasts it. Only the patient would decide if they wanted to be really loud (or overly specific) about their answers.

Here, you do your check-in desk in a nook. If they have all the info they need you just tell them you're there and go sit down. When they want you to come back, they call your name and walk you in (sometimes pausing to check weight or temp).

considering HIPPA - I wonder if they realize they're violating it by being loud enough to be heard by everyone in the room.

I've spoken to receptionists before about how loud they were.  (one was horrified she was being censured.  I can talk to your boss honey . . . )  larger places have mandatory distances where people wait, so there is more privacy and the staff talks in a normal/quieter voice.

• Like 3

Yes they are violating HIPPA.  And this happens to me too.  Drives me bonkers.  In fact I went to an urgent care center a couple of weeks ago and the medical assistant yelled out to the doctor on duty what I was there for while out in the hall.  It wasn't anything particularly embarrassing, but still it's nobody's business why I'm there. 

And really what am I (we) supposed to do?  Make a big stink?  Report EVERYONE?  It's just so annoying that they can't try to be a little more considerate of our privacy.

I have had people ask me reason for visit or something like that. I can't remember exactly at the moment. Oh yeah and this is not quite the same, but one time I called to complain about a bill that I should not have received. Well the lady that answered the phone wasn't even familiar with the dr I had seen and asked what kind of dr that is. It was for mental health. I kind of didn't want to tell her because I didn't even know if she needed to know, but after I told her she said she had to transfer me. But in the moment I was a bit irritated. Who cares what kind of dr, this bill shouldn't be here! lol

Yes they are violating HIPPA.  And this happens to me too.  Drives me bonkers.  In fact I went to an urgent care center a couple of weeks ago and the medical assistant yelled out to the doctor on duty what I was there for while out in the hall.  It wasn't anything particularly embarrassing, but still it's nobody's business why I'm there. 

And really what am I (we) supposed to do?  Make a big stink?  Report EVERYONE?  It's just so annoying that they can't try to be a little more considerate of our privacy.

I don't know, maybe we should say something like, "you know you're violating HIPPA when you do that" just to bring awareness. Also, might make them knock it off if they fear they will be reported. But really, I think it would probably lead to them gossiping about me as soon as I left the room lol.

• Like 1

No, I've never had that happen before.  Nobody's asked my reason for coming in, except for at the ER.  The ER isn't the most discreet place, since it's an open check-in window in a big room, but they're at least fairly quiet.  Same with urgent care, but they are obviously making an effort to be discreet.  Any more specific information, whether it's the ER, doctor, dentist, eye doctor, etc. is always handled in a private room or at least in a discreet manner.  That would really bug me.

I've not had this problem.

However, I had had usually had doctors with cranky receptionists. They were always in a bad mood, in most doctor's offices. I used to hate, hate, hate going to the doctor because the receptionist would always be mean, no matter which doctor.

It hasn't been that way since I moved up here to the boonies. That's one of the few perks of living in a relatively small town. The people really are nicer, even the receptionists. Well, there is that one receptionist at the orthodontist's office who is always on the edge of crabby. She tries to pull herself together, but you can see the crabbiness just waiting to pop out.

Dh and I have noticed this too!

At hospital there was a window with a little hole to speak through at admitting. And the lady on the other side is asking me:

Name address phone numbers social security number doctor reason for visit insurance and so on. There is zero way no one else waiting could not hear us and no reason to presume any of them wouldn't use it.

Same thing at the dept of human services when dh got the birth certificate yesterday.

I have no idea how these places don't get in trouble for violating HIPPA. I can't even find out if my dh is in the ER unless he can tell them to tell me, but they can have a set up like that that dumps all our info?

• Like 1

Dh and I have noticed this too!

At hospital there was a window with a little hole to speak through at admitting. And the lady on the other side is asking me:

Name address phone numbers social security number doctor reason for visit insurance and so on. There is zero way no one else waiting could not hear us and no reason to presume any of them wouldn't use it.

Same thing at the dept of human services when dh got the birth certificate yesterday.

I have no idea how these places don't get in trouble for violating HIPPA. I can't even find out if my dh is in the ER unless he can tell them to tell me, but they can have a set up like that that dumps all our info?

This is exactly to what I am referring!  

I don't know, maybe we should say something like, "you know you're violating HIPPA when you do that" just to bring awareness. Also, might make them knock it off if they fear they will be reported. But really, I think it would probably lead to them gossiping about me as soon as I left the room lol.

Yeah well that's just it.  They probably already know.  Or at least they obviously don't care.

At the urgent care place I go to when you first walk in they ask you why you are there.  It's in the waiting room right there with everyone listening in.  Imagine going there for, I dunno, a rash in a personal area?  Yeah, I think I have jock itch or maybe an STD.  Yikes...  I thought they were supposed to take more steps to make it a bit more private than that.

I wonder if some of this happens because receptionists do this all day long and are burnt out and forget how they rattle off routine intake questions. And some don't have any manners not matter what.

In what I have experienced, there's no way it's about that at all. The facility is purposely set up so that it is expected and required to be done this way. For example, the hospital admissions window situation. It doesn't matter how anyone speaks, you are right there in the middle of a public waiting room area having to give what should be confidential information in a way that doesn't allow for any confidentiality to be possible.

I experienced this one time at a major teaching hospital surgery check in. I wrote my replies on a slip of paper and slid them under the glass partition. Felt like I was at an old fashioned bank.

This. Every single time. Ive only been asked why once. It's one of the many reasons I carry a pad of paper and pen in my handbag.

When I wrote my birth plan for DC2, at the top I had all of that pertinent info printed so they wouldn't have to ask me. It was actually positively received since they knew the information was printed when I wasn't in the throws of labor and trying to get straight answers from my DH. :)

In what I have experienced, there's no way it's about that at all. The facility is purposely set up so that it is expected and required to be done this way. For example, the hospital admissions window situation. It doesn't matter how anyone speaks, you are right there in the middle of a public waiting room area having to give what should be confidential information in a way that doesn't allow for any confidentiality to be possible.

Sounds like a very poor design. Is this an old building - pre-HIPAA era?

I wonder if some of this happens because receptionists do this all day long and are burnt out and forget how they rattle off routine intake questions. And some don't have any manners not matter what.

Maybe.  I'm sure they have heard it all and don't care so much, but ya know EVERYONE IN THE WAITING ROOM....I don't want to discuss my medical stuff with them.

I don't think I've ever encountered this. Even the ER at our local hospital ushers you into a private room to find out why you are there.

Then again, I probably wouldn't notice if it did happen; it certainly wouldn't bother me. People are way too self absorbed to care why I'm seeing the dentist. Lol.

I haven't had that problem in the waiting room.  I left a local doctor after being in a "private" room (more than once) and each time I could very easily overhear (through the wall) what he was saying to his patients in the next room (and what they were saying to him).  It was like there was no separation at all the wall was so thin.  The last time I went there it not only wasn't "private," the info I heard was TMI.  I always "knew" others after me could also hear what I was saying quite clearly, and at that moment decided - never again - unless it's something so basic and easily fixable that I wouldn't care.  We're in a semi rural area and I've worked at school for 16 years now.  Way too many people know me to not care.

In general, I'm finished with doctor appts in my life unless I break a bone or something "simple" to fix.  I'm at the stage in life where if something were to do me in, I'm fine with it.  It'll end all the issues I'm putting up with that they won't look into.  I'd consider that a benefit really. 

I don't have this problem with any of our current doctors. But when I was barely pregnant with youngest, I went to my OB for an ultrasound because I was spotting (ie possible miscarriage). We had not told anyone we were pregnant. The friendly receptionist exclaimed in her very loud voice, "Oh congratulations!" when I checked in. Everyone in the waiting room could hear, and one of those people was the sister of a friend (who of course I hadn't told because we hadn't even told family yet). It made for an awkward situation, as I believe my friend heard from her sister and was perhaps miffed that she never heard it from me until first trimester had passed. Very unprofessional of the receptionist.

Edited by Ali in OR

I don't think I've ever encountered this. Even the ER at our local hospital ushers you into a private room to find out why you are there.

Then again, I probably wouldn't notice if it did happen; it certainly wouldn't bother me. People are way too self absorbed to care why I'm seeing the dentist. Lol.

I'm probably being too sensitive for various personal reasons, but this attitude really bothers me and comes across as both condescending and a back handed insult implying anyone who is concerned about their privacy thinks too much of themselves.

Whether anyone cares about my medical issues doesn't change that I should be able to keep them private should I desire to do so.

And most people, or at least myself, are not as worried about someone caring about my health (alas I agree most people don't give a toot about the health of their fellow human) so much as someone caring about using my information for fraud and identity theft. Which can be just as expensive and scary to fix as many medical conditions. There's ample evidence there are indeed people out there who will take advantage of an opportunity to use that information when it happens to cross their path.

I suspect medical places are over looking these blatant HIPPA violations because proving that some random person used what they heard/saw directly bc of such an encounter that the PTB have decided the financial litigation risk is low enough to not bother worrying about.

I'm probably being too sensitive for various personal reasons, but this attitude really bothers me and comes across as both condescending and a back handed insult implying anyone who is concerned about their privacy thinks too much of themselves.

Whether anyone cares about my medical issues doesn't change that I should be able to keep them private should I desire to do so.

And most people, or at least myself, are not as worried about someone caring about my health (alas I agree most people don't give a toot about the health of their fellow human) so much as someone caring about using my information for fraud and identity theft. Which can be just as expensive and scary to fix as many medical conditions. There's ample evidence there are indeed people out there who will take advantage of an opportunity to use that information when it happens to cross their path.

I suspect medical places are over looking these blatant HIPPA violations because proving that some random person used what they heard/saw directly bc of such an encounter that the PTB have decided the financial litigation risk is low enough to not bother worrying about.

This exactly. Private information is just that...private.

I'm so sick and tired of people who want to maintain that simple basic right being treated as if their desire to do so is the problem. The notion that we must be anti-social if we don't use facebook or whatever*... that we must have something to hide if we don't want the government or businesses sticking its nose into our peaceful, private activities... or that we must think too well of ourselves because we don't want our confidential information announced to anyone within hearing distance is just... sad.

Is it that obvious I've run into some issues with this lately?

*FTR I have absolutely no problem with anyone who wants and enjoys social media sharing whatever they choose

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 2