Menu

being asked for ss# at doctor's offices

SparklyUnicorn

I thought they stopped doing this crud.  I haven't been asked in quite some time.  Yesterday I made an appointment with a new place and the scheduler insisted I needed to give her my social.  I said no I don't want to give it out.  She claimed I had to.  I said ok I'll give it to them when I go there.  This is basically a scheduler who schedules for several doctor's offices, hospitals, clinics, etc.  When I'm asked on forms, I leave it blank.  It has never been an issue.

They do not need my social.  The medical insurance company does not use the social for ID.  Offices now ask for photo ID and/or take your photo.  That's fine with me.  But unless they want to make a contribution to my social security, nope on the social. 

But I'm not 100% sure if they have the right to that information. 

• Like 6

They don't need this information.  I had my identity stolen last year (it's all been resolved now), and I was told by the identity protection company that medical professionals have actually been involved in selling ss#'s because they have access to them.  

Mine may have been stolen from my health insurance company because there was a data breech that I received a letter about around that time.

• Like 4

Don't do it. We always refuse, and we are one of "those" families who hits our deductible in January and our out-of-pocket for in-network mid-year.

Some years back I was setting up consultations with orthodontists.We planned to see at least three. And one of them insisted on a social security number even though we were just doing the free consult! They were very strong that they wouldn't do it unless I gave it to them, so that was that. They even called me back later saying that they could waive that requirement, but no way. We were going to be paying thousands of dollars with a multi-year commitment for two kids. That just totally turned me off.

• Like 6

Our pediatrician's office still asks me for DS' social when I go in sometimes.  Same hospital/office since he was born.  He's had the same doctor and continuous care for his entire life.  Nope.  You don't get his SS#.  You don't need it, obviously, since he has never been refused treatment.  When we first visited the allergist they asked.  I just said I don't carry that number around with me and I was pretty sure that the IRS was the only entity who had the legal right to that number.   That was the end of that.  They never asked again.

• Like 3

I usually ask why they need it and then tell them that I only provide it when required by law. Usually they either drop it or tell me to bring it along next time. (Yeah, sure, I'll do that.) If they were to push it, I would insist they show me in writing which law requires me to give it to them. Just because a form has a blank on it doesn't mean a business is entitled to some piece of information.

Edited to delete repetition.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 7

I don't recall if I've been asked that question, but I've been asked others by "gatekeepers" which I didn't want to answer.  I really hate to be confrontational, but if they don't need the info, especially that kind of info, they need to back off.

• Like 2

They just want the number so they can more easily turn you over for bill collection if you get behind.  Or for identity theft.  I usually feign not knowing the numbers.

This. It's for bill collection. There's no other reason for it. I stopped giving it out when a receptionist called out my name, SS#, and birthday across a crowded waiting room. I was at her desk in seconds, telling her not to give out my personal information.  I've only moved faster when my kids were in danger. I was livid and never went back to the practice again.

• Like 6

I thought they stopped doing this crud. I haven't been asked in quite some time. Yesterday I made an appointment with a new place and the scheduler insisted I needed to give her my social. I said no I don't want to give it out. She claimed I had to. I said ok I'll give it to them when I go there. This is basically a scheduler who schedules for several doctor's offices, hospitals, clinics, etc. When I'm asked on forms, I leave it blank. It has never been an issue.

They do not need my social. The medical insurance company does not use the social for ID. Offices now ask for photo ID and/or take your photo. That's fine with me. But unless they want to make a contribution to my social security, nope on the social.

But I'm not 100% sure if they have the right to that information.

Of course they have no right to this information unless you are going to work there and the IRS needs tax information. Otherwise no. But if they want to be real butts about it, they can decline to see you.

Jerks.

• Like 1

This. It's for bill collection. There's no other reason for it. I stopped giving it out when a receptionist called out my name, SS#, and birthday across a crowded waiting room. I was at her desk in seconds, telling her not to give out my personal information. I've only moved faster when my kids were in danger. I was livid and never went back to the practice again.

Wow. I would have been so mad about that.

• Like 1

We ask for it - it's only sometimes necessary for Medicaid patients. If the patient doesn't know their medicaid id# or gives us the wrong # (happens way more often than you'd think), we can look them up by their social security # on the Medicaid portal. 

It's not needed for other insurances though, except Medicare. 

• Like 2

I found this about my state:

While the law exempts health care providers who need Social Security numbers for insurance claims involving Medicare or Medicaid, it does not require patients to provide their Social Security number for private insurance claims.

"The burden is on the doctor to show you as the patient why it would be required," Zeldin said.

• Like 2

We ask for it - it's only sometimes necessary for Medicaid patients. If the patient doesn't know their medicaid id# or gives us the wrong # (happens way more often than you'd think), we can look them up by their social security # on the Medicaid portal.

It's not needed for other insurances though, except Medicare.

And Tricare I'd venture to guess (that's us) Common theme to which insurances need SS# I see...

My kids new dentist made a stink about it. I was ready to walk out the door when the receptionist said they could hold off unless my kids needed restorative work. My husband and just been the victim of identity theft and there was no way the dentist needed that info. If they are worried about non payment, I'm happy to provide a deposit or even pay up front. I'm not applying for credit or a job to get a teeth cleaning. Plus they already know my insurance covers that in full

Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

I always leave it blank. If pressed, I would say the SS office is the only one who needs that information. I would also ask what safeguards they have in place to prevent identity theft and to guarantee that security in writing. Bottom line: they don't get that information.

That's my concern. My friends bought a house a medical professional had abandoned. There were filing cases full of people's private info, fortunately my friends chose to destroy that information properly.
  • Like 2

I wish I could refuse. To bill our insurance, everyone needs two things--my husband's social and his DOB. Drives me crazy! Once, I even had an ER front desk person ask for his social VERBALLY, in a room full of ER patients!

Back in the nineties when I worked for a health insurance company, your account number was your social. But some people refused to give their SSN, so they were given a "dummy" number. (Just another random 8 digit number.). Over time, the SSN as account number was dropped and everyone gets numbers created by the insurance company.

Perhaps your insurance company is still using SSN's as account or id numbers? And perhaps you could hassle them a lot (probably would require a lot of hassling) to transfer your info to a dummy number?

• Like 1

I don't give it out.  Hasn't been a hassle.  Here, they ask for your birthdate eighty gazillion times to ensure it's you, which is annoying, but I'm glad they do it.  Beats having them give the wrong medication or something.

I generally just leave my SS# blank, even though I do know it, to the doctor's office.  I absolutely do not give out my children's SS#s.  (That would be presupposing that I actually knew theirs by heart, which I don't, and I don't carry those with me.)

The dentist asked for my DL#! I was upset but they would not see me without it. I said, "What if I don't drive?" And she said, "We saw you drive up." I went ahead and gave it to them because I had made babysitting arrangements and I was so annoyed, but next time I'll walk out. I was so annoyed with myself for giving in!

I never give my social or the kids'.

The dentist asked for my DL#! I was upset but they would not see me without it. I said, "What if I don't drive?" And she said, "We saw you drive up." I went ahead and gave it to them because I had made babysitting arrangements and I was so annoyed, but next time I'll walk out. I was so annoyed with myself for giving in!

I never give my social or the kids'.

Are you serious? Mine has never asked for any identification even when doing expensive work.

Are you serious? Mine has never asked for any identification even when doing expensive work.

This seems to be something fairly new.  I am either asked for my license or they take a picture of me.  Pretty much every office I've been to in the past couple of years does this now.  I guess it is to cut down on insurance fraud.

I don't have a problem with that.

I have always refused to give our ssns to medical providers. I have only had one issue with a dentist surgeon and I was ready to go to another surgeon, but he was willing to work with me provided I pay the estimated balance that I owed prior to dd's surgery. This was required anyway, even if I did give the ssn. He said he needed the ssn in case we didn't pay our balance so he could give it to the debt collector. I don't know how you could not pay because they wouldn't do any work until you paid or they had confirmation from the insurance company about the amount they would pay.

Back in the nineties when I worked for a health insurance company, your account number was your social. But some people refused to give their SSN, so they were given a "dummy" number. (Just another random 8 digit number.). Over time, the SSN as account number was dropped and everyone gets numbers created by the insurance company.

Perhaps your insurance company is still using SSN's as account or id numbers? And perhaps you could hassle them a lot (probably would require a lot of hassling) to transfer your info to a dummy number?

Well, my insurance 'company' is Tricare. I'm not sure I'll get far trying to hassle them...the government isn't known for working like a well-oiled machine! Lol

The dummy number is such a good idea though. You'd think they would all be able to figure that out. :/

• Like 2

This seems to be something fairly new.  I am either asked for my license or they take a picture of me.  Pretty much every office I've been to in the past couple of years does this now.  I guess it is to cut down on insurance fraud.

I don't have a problem with that.

Exactly. Everywhere we go now requires a photo if you are over 18. Under 18, they want a parents'. In most cases they want a government-issued ID with a photo. 

Within my family, we've had five surgeries this year with another booked in mid-November. In each case, they told us that they wouldn't operate without a government ID with a photo. They said specifically a DMV driver's license, learner's permit, or the DMV ID card, or a passport or green card. 

Of course it's been an issue in my area because of undocumented immigrants who cannot legally get a driver's license, although a neighboring state grants that. The ER's are of course required to treat anyone who presents themselves, and there are free clinics who don't check that other than verification of income. Some of the free clinics will facilitate surgeries and such for undocumented individuals.