Menu

Reasons not to homeschool...

Hikin' Mama

So I'm really tired tonight and spending too much time on FB. Someone posted a pro-homeschool cartoon and here are a couple of the responses about why you shouldn't homeschool.

"But your kids won't be able to share who God made them to be by debating a nonbeliever in front of a classroom of other nonbeliever sand believers of other religions on if God is real. "

Nice sentence structure (please note my sarcasm). Plus, I went to public school and I never debated a nonbeliever or believer of another religion in front of the classroom. The best debates I've ever heard have been between homeschoolers. Saxon vs. Singapore, unschooling vs. boxed curriculum, cupcakes vs. no cupcakes, yoga pants vs. denim jumpers... ;)

"Plus they have no social skills and suffer college freedom by going to extremes."

Okay, I may be dense, but what does it mean to "suffer college freedom?" Maybe I don't know what this means because I was never homeschooled so I never had to suffer college freedom. I want to know what this means! Enlighten me. :)

Carry on...

• Like 9

That's very funny. The latter argument, if I'm understanding it correctly, is what a friend of mine said happened to her in college. She was ps-ed, but her parents kept her very sheltered, etc., blah, blah, blah. Then she went to college and while still getting through her engineering program, went hog wild. So, I really don't think it's a homeschooling thing. I'm not entirely persuaded it's a parenting thing. Kids make choices and do stuff.

• Like 4

Most home school criticisms are this brilliant. Really. In all the 16 years that I home schooled I heard some really dumb stuff, and people always acted like their reasons were complete showstoppers. I never said (but always wanted to) "Do you really think that? Is this the top of your reasoning game?"

• Like 11

Regarding college freedom, it depends on how extremely strict the parents are. My ex-classmate was an extreme case. Her mom would interrogate anyone that she sees talking to her daughter, and we were in an all girls school. No contact with guys allowed so she was always in all girls schools until college.

Are you sure the first comment wasn't sarcasm? I guess some people do believe that, but it sounds like hyperbole ....

Tbere was plenty of evangelists among my public school schoolmates. They go round preaching and trying to convert people before the first bell, during recess and lunch.

There were also adults giving out free bibles just outside the public school gates.

My hubby had to same experience in public schools mainly from the new converts.

Are you sure the first comment wasn't sarcasm? I guess some people do believe that, but it sounds like hyperbole ....

Pretty sure it wasn't sarcasm. The next sentence in the comment said that public school had benefits, too, which was referring to the opportunity for debate in the classroom.

• Like 1

Ya, if my grandkids' pics weren't on there, I might just deactivate my account.

As soon as I was in an easy driving distance of my mom (so she did not rely on FB to see her grandkids) I deleted my account. I consider my facebooking all those years a major sacrifice for her. (Joking of course.)

• Like 1

My son is suffering college freedom tonight. He's studying for three tests tomorrow! Wait, probably not what they meant. ;)

My son too. has only had 4 hours sleep every night for the last week and a half as he is at the busy end of his units and has major assignments and tests just about every second day ( 4th year). He is stressed to the hilt.

That's very funny. The latter argument, if I'm understanding it correctly, is what a friend of mine said happened to her in college. She was ps-ed, but her parents kept her very sheltered, etc., blah, blah, blah. Then she went to college and while still getting through her engineering program, went hog wild. So, I really don't think it's a homeschooling thing. I'm not entirely persuaded it's a parenting thing. Kids make choices and do stuff.

I'm with you.  This is what I've seen too.  It doesn't even matter if they go to college or not, much less ps.  

Are you sure the first comment wasn't sarcasm?  I guess some people do believe that, but it sounds like hyperbole ....

I'm betting it was very serious.  I have heard the very same argument from several people over the years.  My parents heard it when they pulled me out to homeschool.  I could no longer be "a light to the world" and they were "hiding my light under a basket."

As for "college freedom," it happens.  But not just to homeschooled kids.  I had a close friend growing up.  He was public schooled from day 1.  He definitely wet hog wild when he went to college.  Did things he very much regrets.  His parents sheltered him growing up even though he was in public school.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 1

Well-known I know I always love when slams against homeschool students are refuted and then just slide right into slams against Christians. It's such a pleasant move here on our forums.

I agree.

I am the face behind the word "Christian", just as much as any of the people who seem to do a poor job representing Christ that everyone seems to interact with.  

Don't paint us all with the same brush.

Usually I just ignore the jabs, but I don't feel like ignoring it today.

• Like 1

So I'm really tired tonight and spending too much time on FB. Someone posted a pro-homeschool cartoon and here are a couple of the responses about why you shouldn't homeschool.

"But your kids won't be able to share who God made them to be by debating a nonbeliever in front of a classroom of other nonbeliever sand believers of other religions on if God is real. "

Nice sentence structure (please note my sarcasm). Plus, I went to public school and I never debated a nonbeliever or believer of another religion in front of the classroom. The best debates I've ever heard have been between homeschoolers. Saxon vs. Singapore, unschooling vs. boxed curriculum, cupcakes vs. no cupcakes, yoga pants vs. denim jumpers... ;)

"Plus they have no social skills and suffer college freedom by going to extremes."

Okay, I may be dense, but what does it mean to "suffer college freedom?" Maybe I don't know what this means because I was never homeschooled so I never had to suffer college freedom. I want to know what this means! Enlighten me. :)

Carry on...

Well, what I would get out of these responses is....hopefully my home schooled child can form an argument better than that. Those people who posted that must have been not home schooled. LOL

• Like 1

The other argument somewhat like this, but from the side of the non religious folk, is if I don't send my kid to school I'm not supporting progress.  I don't know where they got the idea I'm in favor of progress (kidding... :lol: ).  I'm in favor or progress, but geesh I don't think this means I can't choose to follow a path less traveled.

• Like 5