Menu

Clothes for very tall, very skinny girls

Gwenny

My 10 year old daughter is about 5' 2", but only about 76 pounds.  I'm hoping one of you has already done the leg work, and found out the best place to shop.  It has to be reasonably priced as well.  I buy the kids clothes almost exclusively at the thrift store in general, but this growth spurt she's been having makes her a size not often found at the thrift store.  Her height and long legs put her in a size 14, but her waist is a size 7/8 or 10.  She's been wearing some 7/8 shorts for years now because in shorts the length isn't as important. 

I had her try on a size 0 for fun and found it to be almost the same size as a 14.  So, is the juniors section where I should look? The juniors seem to have super low crotches and don't seem to have adjustable waists, and even the pants with them look really sad on her.  They're all bunched up at the waist and the hips and bottom are super saggy.  She always looks like she's wearing someone else's clothes.  I'd like her to have at least a couple of pants that truly fit her for when we go out somewhere.  She's tough on clothes, so the thrift store ones with cinched in waists and droopy bottoms will have to do for tree climbing and regular play days.

I'm positive that the waist on kids clothes has expanded over the years.  I had the same slim build as my daughter, but I never remember having this much trouble finding clothes.  And that was before many of the pants had adjustable waists. 

Shirts are another story.  Too wide in the shoulders and too short in the arms.  Are juniors shirts longer?  Being slim, she doesn't have a teen's figure.  So many juniors tops are made for someone with more of a bust.  She should be fine with a tee shirt though. 

Please tell me you have some ideas on stores to try.  I don't want to drag the kids out to the mall.

I just had to go shopping with my 11 year old who is also tall and skinny. She found a style at Old Navy that really works for her. They were skinny jeans and a size 0 but they look like normal jeans on her. All of the non skinny jeans swallowed her up. She couldn't find any shirts there though that looked okay. She did find a bunch of shirts at Kohl's.

Skinny jeans are great because dd doesn't want them skin tight, but they don't hang baggy on her.

Mostly, though, she likes to wear leggings and dresses, which makes things easier -- you can't see how baggy the waist is on the leggings because it's covered by the dress.

We've had luck at JC Penney too.

And, honestly, I sew a lot.

That was the age when we moved into teens sizes for dd. 

DD did best in Gap Skinny jeans at that age in a 00 or 0.  Try a teens consignment store for used,  Old Navy pants never fit dd right.  JCP's cloths shrink too much in the length for her and typically only last a season before they start to wear out.  That is okay if you are buying $5 layering tshirts but I won't spend more than $10 on anything JCP.  Finding plain tshirts was pretty easy for dd.  The style was all slim cut and long when she was that age, and she never liked long sleeve shirts so it wasn't a problem for her.  Old Navy layering Ts and Tanks worked pretty good for her because they are long, but now she wants more style that a plain shirt. 

Now that she is a bit older, almost all her pants are a 3Long Holister, shirts are Hollister or Ambercrombie.  They are designed for  tall thin girls and their talls are the perfect length for her at 5'8".  They are low rise, so that may be a problem for a girl who still plays, but high rise pants are the 'new thing' this year, so next year they will be everywhere! 

DD is thin but has a tush, so Aeorpostale doesn't fit her even when she was a 00 or 0, it rides up her tush.  A&E has always been hit or miss, but mostly miss. 

Mudd jeans from Kohls worked occasionally too.

I feel your pain.  I was out jeans shopping for our 11 year old foster boy who is 5' tall and weighs almost triple what your dd does.  I need adult waist sizes in kids length without having a crotch that sags to his knees.  It can be so hard to find clothes that look nice and fit well................and we are typically thrift store shoppers as well.

My daughter isn't tall, but she's under 100 lbs at 16 and all of her height is in her legs. Last weekend we caught a sale at PacSun and ended up paying about $20 per pair of jeans. It was a BOGO thing. I made her get 4 pair because jean shopping has ALWAYS been tricky for her. She always seemed to grow UP, but never out.

Thank you all!  I never knew there was a 00 size, and it sounds perfect.  That shows you how infrequently I shop for clothing.  Our mall has most of these stores, so I guess I'll just have to go there after all.  I've seen other thin girls in jeans that fit, so I knew they were out there somewhere. 

My dd9 is 5 ft. 70 pounds as well. She can wear size 0 junior jeans just fine except that she HATES the low rise, even extreme low rise, that all junior jeans seem to be made in now days. If you find some junior jeans that are not low rise, please let me know!

my daughter also found clothes at Delias when she was a 0.  they had 4 styles, one of which worked for her.  You have to get a straight cut, not a curvy cut.  And yes, juniors.  I still remember my daughter being really angry when some store didnt have juniors and she was told to shop in the kids section - where, as you said, her waist was still like a size 10.  

i was just cleaning out some clothes she left behind - she'd gained some weight, and i havent seen her in 6 mo, and holding up those pants - it was sort of shocking that any human could fit in them!

Back when I was in high school, I had to get jeans and cords from the boys' department -- I wore a 28 waist by 36 inseam.

One place to try is sporting goods stores -- for jeans, slacks, tops, jackets, etc. I have had the most luck at Academy Sports, but also at Dick's Sporting Goods.

And you might want to check JCPenney's online ordering system. If you find a style you like in the store but it's not the right size, you may be able to find it online.

My dd9 is 5 ft. 70 pounds as well. She can wear size 0 junior jeans just fine except that she HATES the low rise, even extreme low rise, that all junior jeans seem to be made in now days. If you find some junior jeans that are not low rise, please let me know!

Most stores have high rise pants this year. They are the newest trend coming back from the 80s. 

Hollister high rise super skinny.

AE high rise skinny

I know it's hard to find appropriate clothes that fit on a budget. I finally had to relax my ideas about what clothes should cost. When I find something that fits and looks good, I buy it. I do not wait for a sale.

That said, Old Navy jeans seem to fit my dds well (only one is a long-legged skinny kid), so we hit their jeans sale this month--the last day of the kids' jean sale. The women's jean sale continues through the 29th I think--about $20 per pair (kids were $10/pair). We just moved my 5'1" 13 yo up to women's (juniors? not sure what they call them. size 0) jeans as she needs a little more curve--kids' jeans are pretty straight. They have 3 or 4 different types of fits and we just tried about 3 sizes in every fit until she found the right one for her. My leggy kid is only 4'9", 70 lbs I think, but she does well in their kids' slim sizes--just moving up to a 12 slim.

• 4 months later...
Guest deayne97

I've had a very similar problem...I'm 16 and 5'7", but I weight 100 lbs. I've looked many different places, and have tried shopping online, but everything is either too short, or way too loose. If i find something that appears to fit, it immediately shrinks as soon as I wash it...

I have this problem and so does my dd.  And we cannot afford really expensive jeans.  Find a good alterations place.  I find lots of nice jeans and pants at the thrift stores.  I try on for length and how the legs look/feel.  I usually have a $5 limit.  Then I get the waist altered.  This usually costs about $15 for $20 total per pair, even less for dd.  I prefer boot cut and dd prefers skinny jeans.  Both alter well if you find the right alterations person.  Ours will even put in adjusters in dc's pants/jeans to get an extra year out of them.  Or better yet, if you sew, you could alter them yourself.  I sew but am not that skilled.....