Menu

Horror stories for 12yo dd

My dd asked for a horror story to read since she's never read one. She pulled Frankenstein from the Kindle library, but I cannot think of a single horror story that is appropriate. Beowulf was my first scary story when I was a kid. She is a big Doctor Who fan. Loves mythology but is very critical about authors changing established mythological stories or creatures. She went through a dystopian phase last summer so she's been through Hunger Games, the Uglies and many more of those, but they aren't what she's looking for. I don't want to give her books with lots of violence and bloodshed; something with a more gothic feel is probably a lot better.

She's been having a lot serious health problems lately so I think this is an attempt to help her emotionally deal with her very real fears.

Thanks

I used to like Edgar Allen Poe when I was that age. And Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn.

I assume she's not interested in those "Spooky stories" type of collections (like those by Alvin Schwartz or Robert San Souci) or Goosebumps? Or Pat McKissack's books of tales?

Coraline by Neil Gaiman was written for that age, more or less, rather than adults, maybe that is a good pick? I've never read it, though. Or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Or The House with a Clock in its Walls by John Bellairs?

Dracula? http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Sterling-Classics-Bram-Stoker/dp/1402773242/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=31JDUFDC6Z7F7&coliid=I1LWLPT44NT913

As for Poe, there are some gorgeous versions out for kids. This is from a series of three: http://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Allan-Tales-Death-Dementia/dp/1416950257/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z . They are very tempting although, on further consideration, I think that the best horror comes from your own mind's eye, as you build your own impossibly fearful images. Maybe it is best to have no illustrations.

H.P. Lovecraft?

My 11yo reads Lovecraft (DH loaded them all on her Nook, that can of worms isn't getting closed :001_rolleyes: ), but I don't have a good sense of appropriateness for preteens.

Poe for sure! Lots of great material there. And Nathaniel Hawthorne has some stories in that same vein - Rappacini's Daughter, the Birthmark, Dr. Heidegger's Experiment, Young Goodman Brown.

Dracula would work for her, if she's already read Frankenstein, I think. What about some of the other gothic thrillers, like The Mysteries of Udolpho? Carmilla? even Northanger Abbey, for a lighter touch? And then I think of things like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, for the more gothic/less horror side of things.

My first thought was: "One day you will grow up and have children. And they will be JUST. LIKE. YOU!"

I think my first foray into horror was either Frankenstein or Dracula. They don't focus so much on the gore, unlike some of the more recent books. The Telltale Heart and The Monkey's Paw also stick out in my memory.

Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce. I haven't read any of his others but that one is really good. Maybe Robin Cook-it is sci fi medical thrillers, but it has been a long time since I read any of them and I don't remember if they were too graphic or had scenes not suitable for that age.

Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce. I haven't read any of his others but that one is really good. Maybe Robin Cook-it is sci fi medical thrillers, but it has been a long time since I read any of them and I don't remember if they were too graphic or had scenes not suitable for that age.

Hah, I just picked up an Ambrose Bierce short story collection at the library today! I'll have to check that one out!

I really liked the Goosebumps books when I was around that age. They're scary, but it's not the kind of horror that stays with you and keeps you awake for a week, and there's nothing gory or sexual. And while they aren't exactly classic literature, a lot of the stories are surprisingly creative.

Maybe some Lois Duncan? She has some scary stuff. I loved them at that age, but I don't remember if there is anything that could be considered inappropriate.

My girlfriend and I used to read her books when we'd want to get freaked out (maybe they aren't as freaky as I remember them as I'm kind of a scaredy cat ;) ). They aren't classic literature, but I also don't remember anything about them that would be inappropriate.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. So far she's read two by Gaiman (Coraline and The Graveyard Book) and asked for more. She also loved the first John Belairs book so I ordered more of those. Hopefully with the rest of these, she'll get her fill of horror. Funny thing is that she thinks Poe is too scary.

Hi Karen,

I typed out this list on a different thread a couple of yrs ago. The TM book that the list came from might interest you....it hasn't been a fit for my current crew that age level.

(Here is the thread with more info beyond the titles) http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/281051-interesting-resource-to-engage-the-reluctant-reader/#entry2805553

Among the Dolls

The Arm of the Starfish

The CaSE OF THE Baker Stree Irregular

Deadly Stranger

The Doll in the Garden

The Dollhouse Murders

Eat youR ,Poison, Dear

The Ghost Wore Gray

The Headless Cupid

The House on the Hill

The Midnight Mystery

Peppermints in the Parlor

The Seance

Something Upstairs

All Around the Town

The Callender Papers

The Curse fo teh Blue Figurine

Down a Dark Hall

Dragons in the Waters

The Egypt Game

Ghost Behind Me

Killing Mr Griffin

The Man in the Woods

Mystery at Bluff Pt Dunes

The Snow Spider

Teh Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull

Sweet Whispers, Brohter Rush

The Third Eye

The Truth Trap

The Westing Game

the Young Unicorns

And then there were none

Appt w/DeaTH

tHE Cat Who Talked to Ghosts

The Hound of the Baskervilles

I Know What you Did Last SUmmer

Murder at the Vicarage

Orchard of the Crescent Moon

Suspenseful, rather than horror:

The Children of Green Knowe series (Boston)

The Egypt Game (Snyder)

The Headless Cupid (Snyder)

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

There are "gentle" horror (lol) collections:

13 Scary Ghost Stories

Favorite Scary Stories of American Children

Tales of Mystery, Suspense and Supernatural

Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery

Alfred Hitchcock's Supernatural Tales

These are older classics, and a bit more intense and/or older vocabulary/sentence structure:

- "The Monkey's Paw" (Jacobs)

- "The Bottle Imp" (Stevenson)

- "The Signal Man" (Dickens)

- "Legend of Sleep Hollow" (Irving)

- "Frritt-Flacc" (Verne)

- "Queen of Spades" (Pushkin)

- War of the Worlds (Wells)

- short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle -- some of the Sherlock Holmes short mysteries are more horror-based, but he also wrote a number of horror/supernatural short stories

- "Rappachini's Daughter"; "The Minister's Black Veil"; "Young Goodman Brown" (Hawthorne)

- "Masque of the Red Death"; "Fall of the House of Usher" by Edgar Allen Poe

- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Stevenson)

When I was in 4th grade our teacher had a surprise visitor for us, a friend of hers from college named Dean Faulkner Wells. She brought us signed copies of a book she'd written of ghost stories that she remembered her famous uncle, William Faulkner, telling when she was a child. I still own my copy and it is one of my most prized possessions. I LOVED the ghost stories in this book. They are creepy, but not overly scary. Very much in the style of Faulkner himself, but on a child's level. The name of the book is The Ghosts of Rowan Oak. Highly, highly recommended.

When I was in 4th grade our teacher had a surprise visitor for us, a friend of hers from college named Dean Faulkner Wells. She brought us signed copies of a book she'd written of ghost stories that she remembered her famous uncle, William Faulkner, telling when she was a child. I still own my copy and it is one of my most prized possessions. I LOVED the ghost stories in this book. They are creepy, but not overly scary. Very much in the style of Faulkner himself, but on a child's level. The name of the book is The Ghosts of Rowan Oak. Highly, highly recommended.

What a wonderful story! And according to this short bio, this collection by Dean Faulkner Wells is really her retelling the stories actually told to her by Faulkner when she visited as a little girl! What a prized possession to have and enjoy. :)

"It" was a good one.

Misery wasn't terribly gory I don't think, but it was very psychologically scary.

Apt Pupil freaked me out. Still does, though I'm sure I've built it up into something entirely more than it is in the last 30 years.

I remember reading some Stephen King, Pet Sematary, Thinner, The Shining, and Misery. They were probably the more gory ones.

Dh was a huge fan and (after mentioning King) is now insisting GB read Eyes of the Dragon when he's done with The Hunger Games trilogy.

Oh you're bringing back memories! I went through a King phase too, reading my mum's paperbacks. The one that stuck out the most to me was Stephen King and Peter Straub's 'The Talisman'. What an awesome book - if I remember it correctly!