Menu

A rice cooker that won't kill us ??

I used to have a plain metal one. It might have been aluminum and from overseas though. Could never figure it out, I much prefer cooking rice in a regular pot.

Add whatever amount of rice you desire, add enough water so that it just above the level of the rice (stick your pinkey finger in to measure the water. When the tip of your finger touches the top of the rice, the water should reach the first joint in your pinkey, so about an inch?) boil just until the water is boiling, cover the pot, turn off the heat, let sit in its steam about 25min(don't open the lid)

I used to have a plain metal one. It might have been aluminum and from overseas though. Could never figure it out, I much prefer cooking rice in a regular pot.

Add whatever amount of rice you desire, add enough water so that it just above the level of the rice (stick your pinkey finger in to measure the water. When the tip of your finger touches the top of the rice, the water should reach the first joint in your pinkey, so about an inch?) boil just until the water is boiling, cover the pot, turn off the heat, let sit in its steam about 25min(don't open the lid)

Wow! I never tried the turn off the heat method. Maybe this will make the difference.

A pot, lol. I have owned different cookers, and none ever cooked as well as the old tried and true cook it in a pot method.

What's wrong with a regular pot?

I like the no stress rice cooker method. That's what I learned in Japan. We usually cook Japanese rice. When I make it in a pot, I feel like I waste so much with what sticks on the bottom. I don't cook with any oil, just water.

My rice cooker is not lined with teflon (although I think the pot is aluminum which is not so great). I bought it costco a few years ago. I use it a few times a week and never have a problem with rice sticking to it. I usually cook jasmine or basmati rice.

When I have the $$ I am investing in a vitaclay. http://vitaclaychef.com/

Thanks for sharing.....this looks great!

I have an old Panasonic and the coating has not flaked a bit. I planned to replace it with a Zojurushi, but so many reviews say they flake!

My rice cooker is not lined with teflon (although I think the pot is aluminum which is not so great). I bought it costco a few years ago. I use it a few times a week and never have a problem with rice sticking to it. I usually cook jasmine or basmati rice.

That vitaclay is a lot less than what I spent for the Zojirushi.

I just bought this rice cooker from amazon a few weeks ago. its the first one i've ever used. no non-stick and it hasnt stuck for me at all (but i only use it about weekly . . more the first week, but my teen son sometimes gets sick from too much rice)

(i havent had that mess they are talking about, but i have been rinsing my rice first, which i've often read helps with that)

I just bought this rice cooker from amazon a few weeks ago. its the first one i've ever used. no non-stick and it hasnt stuck for me at all (but i only use it about weekly . . more the first week, but my teen son sometimes gets sick from too much rice)

(i havent had that mess they are talking about, but i have been rinsing my rice first, which i've often read helps with that)

This looks nice. It's all stainless steel!

I like the no stress rice cooker method. That's what I learned in Japan. We usually cook Japanese rice. When I make it in a pot, I feel like I waste so much with what sticks on the bottom. I don't cook with any oil, just water.

I like a rice cooker, too. It frees up a pan for me and it's safe for my oldest to use. I need to get a bigger rice cooker.

The Miracle brand rice cooker (stainless steel inside) gets good Amazon reviews and is the same price as the Oyama (at least off and on). I've worked hard to get non-stick out of my kitchen, too! Link: http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Cooker-Model-Formerly/dp/B000I5UEQM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I really like the look of this one!

I hate buying small appliances. There are $100 toasters out there that can't make decent toast. It all seems so much like a cr@pshoot. :tongue_smilie:

The Miracle brand rice cooker (stainless steel inside) gets good Amazon reviews and is the same price as the Oyama (at least off and on). I've worked hard to get non-stick out of my kitchen, too! Link: http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Cooker-Model-Formerly/dp/B000I5UEQM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is what we have and it works great!

What size rice cooker for a family of six? I've never bought one before.

Does the capacity refer to the total capacity of the thing, or the amount of rice it can cook?

We have a 10 cup Zojirushi cooker (refers to rice cooker cups of dry rude.... 6oz volume per cup IIRC), which would be overkill for a family of four if we didn't use it for dinner parties. It scales down well though. You would probably be fine with a 6-cup cooker, 10 if your family eats a lot of rice at a sitting.

We just bought a smaller 3 cup version of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tatung-TATUNG-TAC-6G-RICE-COOKER/dp/B003O7OW2I

We found it on sale at our local Asian market (Ranch 99) right around back to school time. It was about $40.

It does take getting used to - I've had to tweak how much water to add. But I like being able to scrub the stainless steel pot instead of fussing with a non-stick lining.

Tatung sells another stainless steel rice cooker style. The 6 c model is TRC-6STW

http://www.tatungusa.com/app/pageproduct.aspx?pid=277&cid=233

I don't have one, but I did see that it exists. They're from Taiwan. My local giant Chinese market carries some Tatung rice cookers (not sure they have this one, though). Newegg sometimes sells Tatung stuff, but they seem to go out of stock a lot if they run a big sale. They seem to be under $40.

Yes, I saw those at Ranch 99 too. I think those have a non-stick finish. They are definitely cheaper than the Indirect Heating style pots (which I bought).

The specs say that this model has a stainless steel pot, but they definitely do make others with nonstick pots. (As I recall, that's the sort my local Chinese store stocked, not this one.)

You can see a picture of the inner pot at Newegg, which recently had a sale on it for $25, normal price $40.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896112071

This is the one I ended up getting. I haven't used it yet since it came yesterday, but it's LITTLE. There is a bigger size for not much more money though. I think I may have been looking at both, and hit the buy button on this one by mistake.

I haven't used it yet, briefly considered returning it for a bigger one, but it fits nicely in a handy kitchen drawer and is actually capable of cooking slightly more than double the amount I usually cook (even when you figure that their "cup" is less than 8 oz.). I guess it's staying.

It's a cute little thing! :001_smile:

This is the one I ended up getting. I haven't used it yet since it came yesterday, but it's LITTLE. There is a bigger size for not much more money though. I think I may have been looking at both, and hit the buy button on this one by mistake.

I haven't used it yet, briefly considered returning it for a bigger one, but it fits nicely in a handy kitchen drawer and is actually capable of cooking slightly more than double the amount I usually cook (even when you figure that their "cup" is less than 8 oz.). I guess it's staying.

It's a cute little thing! :001_smile:

Let me know how it works! :)

Let me know how it works! :)

I will as soon as I use it. I'm thinking of trying it for steel cut oats first. It sure would be handy if it cooks that well.

I'm planning to post a pic on amazon (and here) for scale also. I know I would have found it useful.

I've had a Zo Fuzzy Logic for, hmmm... 4 yrs now? It gets used several times a week.

No flaking whatsover. We only use the provided plastic rice "spatula" thingy to serve, never anything that could scratch the container. Cleaning means waiting for the rice to dry, using a quick swipe to wipe it out, then rinsing with hot water.

Have you ever tried this kind?

http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Steamer-Food-Rice-Cooker/dp/B001DDEC9I/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1350365678&sr=8-64&keywords=black+and+decker+rice+cooker

I've had one similar to this for 15 years, and it still is in great condition!

:iagree: I've always used the rice bowl in my steamer. I can also toss it in the dishwasher.

Have you tried Alton Brown's baked rice recipe? It's pretty good too :-)

Have you ever tried this kind?

http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Steamer-Food-Rice-Cooker/dp/B001DDEC9I/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1350365678&sr=8-64&keywords=black+and+decker+rice+cooker

I've had one similar to this for 15 years, and it still is in great condition!

:iagree: I've always used the rice bowl in my steamer. I can also toss it in the dishwasher.

Have you tried Alton Brown's baked rice recipe? It's pretty good too :-)

Yep. Me, too. My vegetable steamer has a rice bowl. I like food cookers that don't burn the food when I forget to go back and check on it! :D

Kelli, this is way late, but have you seen Alton Brown's recipe for brown rice? You start on the stovetop and pop in the oven. I make a big pot of it (like a whole bag or more) at a time and freeze it into quart bags. Then we just pull out bags of rice to stirfry with veges to make a quick lunch. AB's rice is PERFECT. :)

Oats? In a rice cooker?? I wonder if my little Rival will do that?

Steel cut oats is pretty different from regular oatmeal. I'm going to try. It seems similar in the way that you cook until the water is absorbed.

I use Bob's Red Mill (which is supposed to cook in 10-20 minutes). Yeah right. :tongue_smilie: It alway seems to take at least 40 and then I let it sit in the pot with the lid on about 5-10 minutes.

How easy is this to clean? I love my teflon rice cooker because I use it almost every day and it takes me 2 seconds to clean.

Lisa