Menu

Please tell my husband what your favorite period dramas are!

He is on a period drama kick -- especially British. He's watched the Jane Austen ones, North and South, Little Dorrit, Cranford, Bleak House, and many more, so it's getting harder to find some. He loves streaming on Netflix, but we can always request DVDs too.

Thanks so much! :D

PS -- no nudity. :)

Edited by nestof3

Well right now we are watching Downton Abbey.

I second this! I think it has some very fine male-perspective roles for a period piece. Last time I checked it was available on Netflix streaming.

Seconding also Horatio Hornblower. And maybe consider some Sherlock Holmes? Kidnapped (recently done by Masterpiece) and Moby Dick (the one with Patrick Stewart) are also good. I hope I'm not being sexist, here, just trying to come up with stories that have strong male characters.

Please give your dh a big WTM pat on the back from the Hive!

If your dh wants to watch Jane Eyre then he has to watch this one with Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayson as Jane and Rochester. Don't be put off by the older production values - this is the only adaptation I've seen that comes closest to the book and there is great chemistry between the characters. LOVE IT!

Also want to second Foyle's War - excellent viewing!

Older period--knights, crusades, etc. :D

Ivanhoe 1997 miniseries

Ironclad 2011

Season of the Witch 2011

Even older:

Troy 2004

Misc:

Count of Monte Cristo 2004

I'll assume you've seen/know about blockbusters like Braveheart, Gladiator & Patriot

Thanks! We have seen these all of these. My dh watched Winds of War without me as well.

Horatio Hornblower

Lark Rise to Candleford?

And maybe consider some Sherlock Holmes?

Some Masterpiece Classics that we have liked:

Jane Eyre

Under the Greenwood Tree

Emma -- watching now

Wives and Daughters

Foyle's War.

Cranford

Lark Rise to Candleford

North and South

Winds of War? WW2 era...

Will look into these! Thanks so much!

Downton Abbey.

Regency House Party.

It's a "reality show" set in the Regency Period. It's pretty entertaining.

Has he watched The House of Eliott?

Scarlet Pimpernel

Kidnapped (recently done by Masterpiece) and Moby Dick (the one with Patrick Stewart) are also good. I hope I'm not being sexist, here, just trying to come up with stories that have strong male characters.

The House of Elliot!

FANTASTIC.

Some Masterpiece Classics that we have liked:

Vanity Fair

Flambards and Poldark--these are older Masterpiece Theater productions from the 70s/80s. Wonderful.

I really liked Barchestor Chronicles.

The following have been "roadtested" by several males of my acquaintance, with enthusiastic endorsement:

Barchester Chronicles

Jeeves and Wooster -- (OK, comedy, not drama!)

What about Lilies?

Older period--knights, crusades, etc. :D

Ivanhoe 1997 miniseries

Ironclad 2011

Season of the Witch 2011

Even older:

Troy 2004

Misc:

Count of Monte Cristo 2004

I'll assume you've seen/know about blockbusters like Braveheart, Gladiator & Patriot

PS -- He is very sensitive to violence. I loved Braveheart, Gladiator and Patriot, but he walked out on the latter, and I know he own't watch the first two.

But...your dh is watching these?? How did you get him to do that??

:lol:

He actually loves these movies, as do I. For years, we watched two of his favorites, Sense and Sensibility and You've Got Mail. His more recent favorite is Bleak House.

He also enjoyed lately:

The Way We Live Now

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Way_We_Live_Now_Episode_1/70060585?trkid=438403

A Dinner of Herbs

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/A_Dinner_of_Herbs_Part_1/70197478?trkid=438403

The Mayor of Casterbridge

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Mayor_of_Casterbridge/60030048?trkid=2361637

Thanks so much!

Perhaps the Pallisers?

Or the Forsythe Saga?

The First Churchills?

By the Sword Divided (don't know if there is a US edition...)

My mother liked the Duchess of Duke Street - I don't think there is any nudity, but there are, she says, 'adult situations'.

I'm supposed to be out the door already - just finishing a mug of tea; I'll try to be back later w/ more.

My favorite version of Jane Eyre, also! DH was left flat/indifferent, however.

I forgot to mention The Mayor of Casterbridge (either version). (except that the ever-lamentable Ciaran Hinds is in one)

Adding my vote to poster following me, who suggested Martin Chuzzlewit. . . . which compels me to recommend, also, Our Mutual Friend and Middlemarch.

If your dh wants to watch Jane Eyre then he has to watch this one with Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayson as Jane and Rochester. Don't be put off by the older production values - this is the only adaptation I've seen that comes closest to the book and there is great chemistry between the characters. LOVE IT!

Edited by Orthodox6

He is on a period drama kick -- especially British. He's watched the Jane Austen ones, North and South, Little Dorrit, Cranford, Bleak House, and many more, so it's getting harder to find some. He loves streaming on Netflix, but we can always request DVDs too.

Thanks so much! :D

PS -- no nudity. :)

A mix of series and movies

Foyle's War

Upstairs Downstairs (the recent remake with a new family)

The Wind and the Lion

The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Anthony Andrews movie and the more recent series)

Horatio Hornblower

Master and Commander

Sharpe's series (Sharpe's Rifles is the first one I think)

Flyboys (WWI movie about Laffeyette Escadrille)

You might also enjoy the new BBC show Sherlock, which is Sherlock Holmes reset in modern day. It's very witty.