Menu

I have always wondered what my tatt would be.

And I have had several ideas over the years.

But today, all of a sudden, I feel that I am ready to just do it.

Because what I want would be hidden and private and between me, the artist, and the souls I am honoring with the tattoo.

I imagine if I had ever done them before I would have a few and they would all be beautiful and mean something really deep.

But I don't miss that they're not there....

or maybe I do......

Anyone have any tattoos they regret?

Any that you love?

And then a part of me says, "Can you say midlife?"

Maybe I just need to pierce something.

I have two. A sun on my ankle and leaves blowing in the wind on my back.

I got one when I was 26 and one at 40.

They are a part of who I am and record meaningful parts of my life. With both I waited until I knew what I wanted and what that particular design meant to me.

I do not regret either of them for a second.

If you feel ready then go for it!

Cat

I have four. In the winter, you never see them. I have one on the inside right above my left ankle - a butterfly. I have three small daisies on the top of my backside that only dh sees. I have a beautiful flower in the middle of the top of my back. I have an armadillo on the left bottom side of my tummy. Armadillo means something special for dh and me. It started 30 years ago and no one knows the story but the two of us. I have a collection of about 40 armadillo figurines from around the world. My soon to be dil says I have to tell her the story in case something happens to us! Maybe I will.

I have never regretted my tattoos. People who know me are surprised that I have them, as I'm a bit (or a lot) on the conservative side on most things. I happen to think they're pretty!

I don't have any tattoos myself, but have friends that do.

Those that had them done when they were younger (under 21) pretty much all regret them. Those that have had them done as mature adults love them, and have told me that they're (tattoos) addictive. They only planned to get one...and the one became two...then they're planning their third :lol:

I've seen tatts that were incredible works of art, and others that were just horrid. Having worked in long term care, I've also seen what those tatts look like 40+ years later, lol!

The very best advice to anyone considering a tatt is, be very careful. Choose your artist after much research. Talk to them extensively, review their portfolio. Ask for references. Talk to their customers. Interview them. Discuss the design you are thinking of, and ask for their input. Tattoo is NOT something that you bargin hunt for. And, if you have any reservations at ALL about any aspect of the situation DO NOT PROCEED. You can even ask the artist to do a temporary version of the tat before the permenant so that you can 'try it out' and see if its something you really can live with forever.

I got my tattoo 15 years ago and still absolutely love it! It's on my right leg near the hip so that it's not visible to anyone unless I choose to show it. I was working in an office at the time and wanted to keep it discreet.

It was not a spur of the moment decision. I thought about it for like 6 months and never wavered in the image I wanted. That's how I knew it was the right decision. And it turned out absolutely beautiful. Mine is an emerald green dragon with wings outspread and chains on her talons. It's my totem and represents my desire to fly but being unable to because of my earthbound shackles.

BTW, I was over 30 before I ever got my first tattoo (I'm 45 now), and I have never regretted it.

I would agree that you should look at some of the tattoo artist's past work and talk to people. Some are artists and some are NOT.

I have 4 tattoos, I got them all when I was 18 and 19. I do not regret my choices over all HOWEVER I have started getting cover up work done to make them better. I have one on my inner wrist of runes, and initially it was just the shapes but I had work added to make it look like it is carved on a stone. I will be adding further work to have grass etc added around the stone. Also getting fixed is a simple maple leaf I have on my upper arm. I am having a cover up done to make it a more realistic maple leaf in fall colours on circular stone design. The only one I wish I had not done is my first, it was wall art and the tattooist caused me a lot of scarring so it doesn't look that great anymore and never meant much to me because it was not my design. It is on my hip so it is never seen unless I am in a swim suit.

My favorite by far is my barbed wire/flower chain around my ankle. I am planning one more that incorporates something about my kids, just not sure what it is going to be yet.

I have 3, all done by the time I was 21. I have the customary rose-on-ankle, lol, the tragic ex-boyfriend's-name, and my ds's first initial.

I only regret the boyfriend's name (duh), but they're all junky work. I'd love to have some true art work done, but I haven't been able to settle on anything yet. And I will NOT be going near any needles until I'm absolutely sure! I've learned my lesson. ;)

I have 1 tattoo ,well technically 2.

Chinese symbols of Strength and Hope on my left forearm, on the inside. I got them at the same time when I was in college. I do not regret them, but i do regret the red ink outlining them. Who knew I would have an allergy.:sad:

Otherwise I have been very happy with them. My father and my father in law both have tattoos in the same place as I do. Kind of funny for us.

If I actually had money to spend I would get another.

A friend and I were just discussing tattoos! I would recommend getting the design you want in henna first. It lasts about 2-4 weeks and will give you a good idea of if you really love what you're thinking of getting or not.

blessings,

Rita

I have two currently, and I go back and forth on wanting more. I haven't come up with a meaningful design yet, which is probably why I'm currently paused. I got my first one 2-1/2 years ago, and it's around my left ankle - just a small chain of flowers (with breaks in between... didn't want a complete chain), and I really like it. My second one I got just last October. It's on my right arm, up by my shoulder, and it has a LOT of symbolism to me. It's Bastet (Egyptian mother goddess) wearing an ankh (symbol of life) guarding two pillars, one blue and one red, for my son and my daughter respectively. It only took about an hour to do, but it gets more comments than a lot of tattoos I see people wear, and I love it. It just means so much! BTW, I just turned 27.

I've always wanted one. I guess I'm too chicken, or conservative, or self-consious. I mean, it always seems like you need a really rockin' bod for a nice one. Where on earth would I put one? On my fat legs, or fat arms, or fat butt? :lol: I can't think of one toned spot to put one on. Blech.:001_rolleyes:

But I have seen some GORGEOUS ones. I once had a client that had a stunning sleeve of waves and beach and sky, and I think there were fish or something. The colors were fantastic, a true work of art. I asked him how come I see so many that are that greenish-gray color and he explained a little about caring for them, and the inks, etc. But he keeps his colors vibrant by having it touched up from time to time.

I got a tattoo 23 years ago (I'll be 41 this year) and I don't regret it. It's a small rose with my husband's name. The colors have faded, the outline is blurred and I can't read my husband's name anymore. I've been thinking of getting a new one, though.

Definitley do your research and don't bargin-hunt. If you don't know what you want, wait. Keep in mind that it will fade and the colors will blur together over time, the smaller the tattoo and the greater the detail, the more blurring over time (my husband's larger tats are still looking good, while his smaller ones, like mine, are starting to blur together).

I've been wanting to get one for some time. I'm thinking of one like a mothers' ring around my ankle with beads for the birthstones of each of my girls and dh and me in the middle with maybe a cross. Something like that. I've also thought about something to honor my mom and dad.

Janet

I would like to have a cloisonne looking gray lizard on the bottom of my foot. This way I could literally squash the gray lizard I become when out of meekness or cowardice I don't allow myself to be who I really am.

Of course, I am too much of a coward to be poked with a needle that many times.:glare:

Mandy

The most amazing tattoo I have ever seen was one that my good friend designed himself and had put on his arm in memory of his mom. She committed suicide when we were 17 and left behind his brother, his dad, and himself. The tattoo is a red rose that has the word mom written intricately in the "folds" of the flower. From the petals, there are 3 teardrops, representing the 3 loved ones she left behind. It is beautiful and such a sweet and precious tribute to someone who meant so much to him.

Honestly, if I ever got a tattoo, it would have to be for something that meant the world to me that I wanted to forever immoralize on my body. "Fun" tattoos are just not something I would want (though I do like them on others...just not for myself).

You guys have some cool tattoos.

I think I am going to play with some henna this summer and see what it feels like. I just want to be decorated.

I have decided to pierce my belly.

I was going to wait - get in shape - lose the baby flab.

But then I realized, I'm almost 40....it might take a while longer than the first kid 11 years ago.

So I've decided to decorate my belly with jewelry and work on making it worthy.

I need to at least like *something* I see on my mid section so I can get motivated.

I have four. In the winter, you never see them. I have one on the inside right above my left ankle - a butterfly. I have three small daisies on the top of my backside that only dh sees. I have a beautiful flower in the middle of the top of my back. I have an armadillo on the left bottom side of my tummy. Armadillo means something special for dh and me. It started 30 years ago and no one knows the story but the two of us. I have a collection of about 40 armadillo figurines from around the world. My soon to be dil says I have to tell her the story in case something happens to us! Maybe I will.

I have never regretted my tattoos. People who know me are surprised that I have them, as I'm a bit (or a lot) on the conservative side on most things. I happen to think they're pretty!

If you don't want to tell, write it down and leave it with your will.

Did you know dillos are very friendly? I've petted a wild one before.

Yes, some are friendly. I grew up in North Florida and they were everywhere. We had one living in our front yard. Now that my two boys are grown, I may tell. I haven't decided yet. If not, leaving it with my will is a good idea!:001_smile: