Menu

So what if the swine flu isn't natural, but a test of a biological agent?

There has been some speculation about this, given the genetic makeup of the virus, which seems to be an unnatural/unlikely combination of various influenza strains. So, it could be a test of a biological agent...not one that will kill us, but a test. Creepy, I know. But it's a question worth pondering. Or not.

Ria

Influenza is on the list of potential bioterror agents, so it's certainly in the realm of possibility. But it looks like the virus is a reassortant of 2 swine strains, with no human or avian components. So it's really not that unusual or unexpected.

There is no question that there are nutjobs out there working on bioweapons. This current virus wouldn't be a very smart choice though.

I'm not sure I want to ponder this beyond just follow the precautions to avoid getting it and avoid spreading it. And watching various governments handle containment.

This is one of those giant anxiety producing thoughts over which I have absolutely no control. I have a history of anxiety and someone once told me that if a worry was something that I could contribute a solution to then I should pursue the solution, but if the worry was something was completely out of my control then I should waste energy worrying, because it will continue to drain me.

So, if this pandemic (just saw the news WHO now says this is a pandemic) has not natural beginnings, I will continue to do my part as far as trying to contain the disease. I will also do my part to keep informed as to what govts are doing to prevent such malicious behavior and find persons responsible for such behavior. If as part of keeping informed there is something I can do, I will do that.

You mean to have a prototype of how an organism will spread through a given country/region? That would be interesting, wouldn't it? :001_huh:

Along similar lines: leaving unattended packages in a public place to see how agencies deal with them. Calling in a fake crime report whilst committing a crime somewhere else.

You mean to have a prototype of how an organism will spread through a given country/region? That would be interesting, wouldn't it? :001_huh:

Exactly. It is in the realm of possibilities. Do I believe it to be so? No. But could this be so? Absolutely...and those who want to dismiss it should do some reading.

If more people were dying I'd tend to think more along the lines of a potential "terror virus," but it 's not a death virus (yet). I don't know of any terror organizations that would be willing to test a virus before unleashing a potentially lethal virus. Most of them don't have that kind of money or time.

It's interesting to ponder, as long as you can stay detached. Hard to do, though...

Ria

Rebecca, those were my thoughts exactly! I mean, we're at 'level 4' out of 6 total levels of alert on this, yet the borders aren't tightened or closed. Other countries in Europe are tightening up their borders or at least beefing up screening for illness. Hmmm. Our governmental PTB are saying contradicting things with their actions. On one hand they raise the alert level, on the other, they remain lax in other preventive action. I've been wondering why they raised the alert level if they aren't actually doing much else - is it really as bad as they say? It makes raising that level seem arbitrary. Is this intended to cause panic or flood the healthcare system in order to push an agenda that wouldn't otherwise (without such panic) receive enough support? What else is going on in the world right now that the news media is distracted from, or that is being hidden from public media? It just seems as if something isn't right. JMHO.

I think most things like that are possible. Things can be labeled a "conspiracy theory" in a derogatory way until evidence surfaces that something rotten was indeed going on. Then people will sit back and criticize various people for not exposing the truth. Hasn't this happened before?

yet the borders aren't tightened or closed

As I understand it, this wasn't done because it was already too late. Tightening the border after the virus is already here would be shutting the barn door after the horse is gone, and it would cause a lot of inconvenience and panic. Plus I don't think the infrastructure is in place for the border to be tightened.

This has run through my mind too, though not entirely seriously.

I did remark to my husband that Mexico+spring break=easily spread worldwide.

Better head for the kitchen to make my own foil hat. Maybe I'll make a matching foil mask...purty.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
Sheesh. Typing too fast, had to add that "not".

Well, if it *is*, I'll put my money on North Korea. 'Cause, this is one lousy biological warfare agent. And those crazy north Koreans are known for their amazingly bad rockets, satellites, and government economic policies. (Vinalon, anyone??) Its gotta be them.

:lol:

Influenza is on the list of potential bioterror agents, so it's certainly in the realm of possibility. But it looks like the virus is a reassortant of 2 swine strains, with no human or avian components. So it's really not that unusual or unexpected.

It was my understanding that it was a reassortment of at least three different strains with human, avian and swine components.

The Mexican Swine Flu has elements of DNA from the following: avian flu, human flu Type A, human flu Type B, Asian swine flu, and European swine flu. Human and animal viruses from four or more continents suddenly recombine in a new flu during a non-flu season that spreads from human-to-human with a 10% fatality rating

This quote is from Mercola, which I realize it not the most reliable but I have read basically the same thing in a few different locations and I thought you said as much in another thread :confused:

Could you please clarify?

Rebecca, those were my thoughts exactly! I mean, we're at 'level 4' out of 6 total levels of alert on this, yet the borders aren't tightened or closed. Other countries in Europe are tightening up their borders or at least beefing up screening for illness. Hmmm. Our governmental PTB are saying contradicting things with their actions. On one hand they raise the alert level, on the other, they remain lax in other preventive action. I've been wondering why they raised the alert level if they aren't actually doing much else - is it really as bad as they say? It makes raising that level seem arbitrary. Is this intended to cause panic or flood the healthcare system in order to push an agenda that wouldn't otherwise (without such panic) receive enough support? What else is going on in the world right now that the news media is distracted from, or that is being hidden from public media? It just seems as if something isn't right. JMHO.

Well, in all fairness, the WHO is the World Health Organization...so not the USA. They raise the levels based on World Wide spread.

It was my understanding that it was a reassortment of at least three different strains with human, avian and swine components.

The Mexican Swine Flu has elements of DNA from the following: avian flu, human flu Type A, human flu Type B, Asian swine flu, and European swine flu. Human and animal viruses from four or more continents suddenly recombine in a new flu during a non-flu season that spreads from human-to-human with a 10% fatality rating

This quote is from Mercola, which I realize it not the most reliable but I have read basically the same thing in a few different locations and I thought you said as much in another thread :confused:

As they continue to sequence the genome, they're understanding it better. The first reports were human+pig+avian. That's apparently changed, and now seems to be a reassortant of just 2 pig strains.

Looks like "new" information. The issue I am having with all of this info that changes by the minute is that it is totally contradictory to itself half the time. I mean, come on! Either it is or is isn't a combo of human, bird, and swine. Can't the people who do this for a living tell the difference? Is it really that hard to tell? How frustrating it is. I know the media is trying to keep us informed, but all of the misinformation and cross information and conflicting information is making my head spin.

As they continue to sequence the genome, they're understanding it better. The first reports were human+pig+avian. That's apparently changed, and now seems to be a reassortant of just 2 pig strains.

So it is something that is hard to determine? I wish they hadn't released reports until they knew for sure. What bugs me is that this news comes AFTER people start speculating openly that, if it is a 3 part combo like it was originally thought to be, it sounds more "engineered" than natural.

Looks like "new" information. The issue I am having with all of this info that changes by the minute is that it is totally contradictory to itself half the time. I mean, come on! Either it is or is isn't a combo of human, bird, and swine. Can't the people who do this for a living tell the difference? Is it really that hard to tell? How frustrating it is. I know the media is trying to keep us informed, but all of the misinformation and cross information and conflicting information is making my head spin.

Yes, and there's a post about that very issue at Effect Measure:

As is usual (routine? no, nothing routine about this) in an evolving epidemic contradictory and confusing numbers are appearing. Some of them are the result of information lags (tallies not being updated), some are the result of using different criteria for counting (suspect versus probable versus lab confirmed, etc.), some are just rumors. WHO is saying that in Mexico there are only 7 confirmed deaths, 19 more lab confirmed cases, 159 probable cases and some 1300 being evaluated, based on official reporting to them by officials of a member state, the Mexico. Everyone knows there are many more cases, however, so the WHO related reporting is more confusing than informative. CDC says there are 91 confirmed cases in the US on their swine flu page but 64 cases on the CDC home page as of 12:30 pm ET, 4/29). That's an information lag, within the same agency. The fact that there are more confirmed cases in the US than Mexico is not a reflection of how many cases are really in each place but how they are being recognized, confirmed, counted and updated.

It's not just lay people who are confused. The scientists don't seem to be on the same page all the time, either. The sequences have been published on the web and a scientist who has taken a hard look at them sees only swine sequences, not swine, bird and human as CDC announced originally:

The preliminary analysis using all the sequences in public databases (NCBI) suggests that all segments are of swine origin. NA and MP seem related to Asian/European swine and the rest to North American swine (H1N2 and H3N2 swine viruses isolated since 1998). There is also interesting substratification between these groups, suggesting a multiple reassortment. We are puzzled about sources of information that affirm that the virus is a reassortment of avian, human and swine viruses. It is true that the H3N2 swine virus from 1998 and 1999 is a triple reassortant, but all the related isolates are found since then in swine. (Raul Rabadan, Columbia University via
)

What's the take home message? We should stop fixating on hourly changes in numbers or differences about the sequences and keep our eye on the Big Picture. Right now that picture is still cloudy, but will be coming into sharper focus as new information accrues and is organized. Generally, though, we have a novel virus (in the sense that the human population is immunologically naive to it) that is spreading person to person and seems to have clinical characteristics not unlike usual seasonal influenza. Because of its novelty the number of people it could make sick is potentially far greater than a seasonal virus, however, since there is no naturally acquired immunity we know of at the moment (it may turn out there is some cross reactivity with some other strain from years past but so far we have no evidence of that).

As a Big Picture, it's not the most comforting, whatever the day to day numbers.

Wait. Are you suggesting that the government would intentionally try to harm us? Shocking! They are such a trustworthy bunch of fellows. tinfoilhatsmile.gif

No, no no! Not the government!! If anyone ever does anything like this, it would be a terror cell.

Ria

Along conspiracy lines, you all should watch Zeitgeist - its on the internet. If you can get past the really long intro, its got some stuff that should make you go HMMMMMM.

Honestly, I think governments, by their nature, are not honest and ethical and the public is "fooled" if you will, about a great many things. :glare:

My passion is history, BTW!

Along conspiracy lines, you all should watch Zeitgeist - its on the internet. If you can get past the really long intro, its got some stuff that should make you go HMMMMMM.

Honestly, I think governments, by their nature, are not honest and ethical and the public is "fooled" if you will, about a great many things. :glare:

My passion is history, BTW!

This is a great movie to get you pondering, however, fair warning that some Christians may not be comfortable with the section on religion.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I don't know. If it is a conspiracy, I don't think it is necessarily a terror tactic, if we are referring to terrorism motivated by altruistic fervor. Having been exposed to conspiracy theory my whole life, and with what I've read as well, there would be a large monetary or political power (even behind-the-scenes power) benefit in it for someone somewhere. Underneath motives that purport to fuel conspiracies, there is always cold calculating greed.

I say, "follow the money." Find out who benefits the most and *maybe* you will have the answer. But that may take a while to become apparent.

ETA: There's always the drug companies. ;-)

Edited by Virginia Dawn

This is a great movie to get you pondering, however, fair warning that some Christians may not be comfortable with the section on religion.

Yes. The first time I watched it, I skipped this part. Later, I did watch - just so I would know what was there. The parts that I am recommending, and most interested in, are parts 2,3 and 4.

I've wondered the same thing. But I thought I was just off my rocker. :)

I'm with you. Off my rocker completely.:D

I blame my dh. Before I met him I was living in a cheerful little bubble filled with sunshine, rainbows and birdies. Now, after 20 years of his influence, when anything happens, my first question is okay, who did it and why?

Those of you who believe "our government" would conspire this way, how do you visualize that working? Who would benefit? The government is made up of individual humans, so which humans would benefit? Top Republicans who want to see the Obama administration fail? Politicians who benefit when the pharmaceutical companies prosper?

How many people would have to be "in" on it to pull something like this off?

Those of you who believe "our government" would conspire this way, how do you visualize that working? Who would benefit? The government is made up of individual humans, so which humans would benefit? Top Republicans who want to see the Obama administration fail? Politicians who benefit when the pharmaceutical companies prosper?

How many people would have to be "in" on it to pull something like this off?

Exactly.

Most people don't realize just how MANY people are involved in each nitnoid bit of government work - from the most benign all the way to super, super secret stuff.

To have one's own government (especially in the US) pull off a huge conspiracy is... let's just say "good luck" with pulling it off and not having some cog in the wheel spill the beans.

Reality is, most people are good hearted: they don't shut up for the sake of their superiors, they try to save their fellow man.

asta

Guest Virginia Dawn
Exactly.

Most people don't realize just how MANY people are involved in each nitnoid bit of government work - from the most benign all the way to super, super secret stuff.

To have one's own government (especially in the US) pull off a huge conspiracy is... let's just say "good luck" with pulling it off and not having some cog in the wheel spill the beans.

Reality is, most people are good hearted: they don't shut up for the sake of their superiors, they try to save their fellow man.

asta

I don't believe conspiracies are pulled off by "the government" but by individuals, individuals (not always in the government) with the power and influence to get things done, things that may look good to most people on the surface but produce results that benefit only a few.

I also don't believe that most of what we call conspiracies start out that way, but that greedy people use people with good intentions, to advance their own positions. It only takes a few.

I think the reality is that most people are naive and trusting, or so involved in their own lives, that they don't see where things are heading till it's too late. Then they try to save themselves and thier loved ones from the fallout.

ETA: I would hate to be President for this reason, can you imagine how many people would try to use you and your position? It's been done before.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

I read on another board about some things that sort of made my head turn. I will copy and paste some strange stuff.

Venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers is set to reap massive profits from the scare. Kleiner Perkins manages a Bio Defense fund whose portfolio includes two companies (viral enzyme-blocking manufacturer Biocryst Pharmaceuticals and viral vaccine manufacturer Novavax) that are seeing massive upswings in stock prices as the swine flu fears grow. So who are Kleiner Perkins's notable partners? Al Gore is one of them and Colin Powell is another.

Another notable financial winner in the swine flu sweepstakes is Donald Rumsfeld, investor in and former chairman of Gilead Sciences, the firm that receives royalties from Tamiflu manufacturer Roche. Now that the media has been including free advertising for Tamiflu in virtually every swine flu story they run (mentioning it by name as one of the only effective treatments against the disease), Gilead's share price has jumped 5 per cent in pre-market trading and is likely to see further increases.

President Obama is no stranger to making money from flu pandemic fears, either. In 2005, shortly after being elected to the U.S. Senate, he set up a trust that invested in AVI BioPharma, a company working on avian flu treatments.

Here is a link about the government checking for mass graves

http://www.infowars.com/images/NY%20Cemeteries%20survey.pdf

The president shook hands with a swine flu victim who died the next day

http://www.shoppingblog.com/cgi-bin/sblog.pl?sblog=4250919

I haven't read the responses so this may have been mentioned already. As I read your question my first thought was "Oh my, just like The Last Enemy series shown on PBS last year."

Creepy stuff! I admit my mind is far too simplistic to think of things like that by myself.

Off to read other responses.

I read on another board about some things that sort of made my head turn. I will copy and paste some strange stuff.

Venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers is set to reap massive profits from the scare. Kleiner Perkins manages a Bio Defense fund whose portfolio includes two companies (viral enzyme-blocking manufacturer Biocryst Pharmaceuticals and viral vaccine manufacturer Novavax) that are seeing massive upswings in stock prices as the swine flu fears grow. So who are Kleiner Perkins's notable partners? Al Gore is one of them and Colin Powell is another.

Another notable financial winner in the swine flu sweepstakes is Donald Rumsfeld, investor in and former chairman of Gilead Sciences, the firm that receives royalties from Tamiflu manufacturer Roche. Now that the media has been including free advertising for Tamiflu in virtually every swine flu story they run (mentioning it by name as one of the only effective treatments against the disease), Gilead's share price has jumped 5 per cent in pre-market trading and is likely to see further increases.

President Obama is no stranger to making money from flu pandemic fears, either. In 2005, shortly after being elected to the U.S. Senate, he set up a trust that invested in AVI BioPharma, a company working on avian flu treatments.

Dang.

Makes ya wonder, as even the weirdest stuff usually has a kernel of truth to it.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

There has been some speculation about this, given the genetic makeup of the virus, which seems to be an unnatural/unlikely combination of various influenza strains. So, it could be a test of a biological agent...not one that will kill us, but a test. Creepy, I know. But it's a question worth pondering. Or not.

Ria

Or not in my case. It might be rather unlikely but only in the sense that getting hit by a car while crossing the road at a crosswalk is unlikely. That doesn't mean it won't happen or even that it's especially rare. It's not at all unnatural and has happened many times before. The Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918-1920 was actually a swine flu. That's why authorities are worried. Not because it's unnatural but because it's completely natural and we've seen how it can kill before.

I think we've just gotten so used to the flu as a relatively mild illness (even though it kills thousands every year) that we've forgotten what a killer it can be and the processes by which it can become even more deadly. Devastating communicable diseases have been with us throughout our history and pre-history and, to my mind, it's only a sign of our collective forgetfullness that we have to invent conspiracy theories to explain them.

Swine flu happens and will happen again.

The article has an update, stating that the archaeologist's family says he died of a heart attack rather than the swine flu.

President Obama is no stranger to making money from flu pandemic fears, either. In 2005, shortly after being elected to the U.S. Senate, he set up a trust that invested in AVI BioPharma, a company working on avian flu treatments.]

Not trying to pick on anyone or to defend President Obama, but I think it's a stretch to suggest that investing in a pharmaceutical stock indicates conspiracy. Unless information surfaces that definitely suggests otherwise, I'd be far more inclined to go with the most obvious explanation, the reason that most people invest in particular stocks, which is that his financial advisors advised investment in what was likely to be successful. I'd also expect that if we examined the investment portfolios of most politicians on both sides of the aisle, we'd find links to companies who might benefit financially from a flu outbreak. At this point, I don't think it means much beyond the likelihood that pharmaceutical companies will be generally successful and are likely to make good long-term investments.

The pharmaceutical companies, on the other hand....:glare: I'm more likely to tip my foil hat in their direction.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
grammar

This is how conspiracy theories work. Random bits of information presented together that truly have no relation to each other. What does Obama shaking hands with a flu victim have to do with anything? Especially considering the link you give now says the victim's family says he actually died of a heart attack? What does avian flu have to do with swine flu? What does invvesting in pharmaceuticals (which a lot of people do because their relatively stable and very profitable) have to do with starting a pandemic? Where are any of the links that would verify any of this information?

We feed birds in the back yard. I just got a prescription for anti-biotics and my neighbours have been suffering from lingering flu-like symptoms. Could my neighbours be justified in thinking I'm cultivating the avian flu and spreading it while taking measures to keep myself safe? Or could I just be a bird geek with bronchitis?

Guest Virginia Dawn
The article has an update, stating that the archaeologist's family says he died of a heart attack rather than the swine flu.

Not trying to pick on anyone or to defend President Obama, but I think it's a stretch to suggest that investing in a pharmaceutical stock indicates conspiracy. Unless information surfaces that definitely suggests otherwise, I'd be far more inclined to go with the most obvious explanation, the reason that most people invest in particular stocks, which is that his financial advisors advised investment in what was likely to be successful. I'd also expect that if we examined the investment portfolios of most politicians on both sides of the aisle, we'd find links to companies who might benefit financially from a flu outbreak. At this point, I don't think it means much beyond the likelihood that pharmaceutical companies will be generally successful and are likely to make good long-term investments.

The pharmaceutical companies, on the other hand....:glare: I'm more likely to tip my foil hat in their direction.

Cat

I think we also need to consider, why pharmaceutical companies will be generally successful. Think of all the legislation, from Republicans and Democrats, that has been passed that is to their benefit. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Insider information. Not saying that all investors are privy to the wheeling and dealing, but it makes you wonder when you hear the same names come up over and over in reference to particular kinds of

companies and legislation combined.

Reading about the relationship of the history of artificial sweeteners, the FDA, a certain pharmaceutical company, and a certain person in the public arena, was eye opening to me.

This is how conspiracy theories work. Random bits of information presented together that truly have no relation to each other. What does Obama shaking hands with a flu victim have to do with anything? Especially considering the link you give now says the victim's family says he actually died of a heart attack? What does avian flu have to do with swine flu? What does invvesting in pharmaceuticals (which a lot of people do because their relatively stable and very profitable) have to do with starting a pandemic? Where are any of the links that would verify any of this information?

I've been hearing about all of this on infowars for a couple of days.

Seems they are saying this: 'They' (meaning the globalist/one world government) have primed us for a major flu like this, and now here one is.

And they just happened to have a vaccine for this very virus ready (or almost ready), when it usually takes 6 months or so.

They have everyone ready to accept martial law/manditory vaccination and manditory quarantines.

Infowars says (I THINK this is what they are trying to say) they think the vaccines are what the real threat is. When we take the vaccine it supposedly lowers our bodies defenses so that when the real pandemic hits it will kill 2 billion or so of us. Genocide for profit.

I know, it is crazy. Total science fiction. Not totally unbelievable though. :tongue_smilie:

I think we also need to consider, why pharmaceutical companies will be generally successful. Think of all the legislation, from Republicans and Democrats, that has been passed that is to their benefit. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Insider information. Not saying that all investors are privy to the wheeling and dealing, but it makes you wonder when you hear the same names come up over and over in reference to particular kinds of

companies and legislation combined.

Reading about the relationship of the history of artificial sweeteners, the FDA, a certain pharmaceutical company, and a certain person in the public arena, was eye opening to me.

:iagree: