Menu

How do you wake up? (Odd thing happened)

This morning, at 5:30 a.m., I awakened as though a light switch had been flipped. I was wide awake, completely mentally alert. There was nothing that caused it -- this wasn't like snapping awake due to hearing a loud sound. It was a completely calm experience.

I had had only 5.5 hours of sleep, and I tried to go back to sleep, but I am too mentally alert. In fact, I am more mentally alert (or "on") than I usually am during the day.

It is amazing! I can see how this can come in handy, if it ever happens again.

Usually, I awaken groggily. I get up because I have to, or I would go back to sleep. I get a cup of coffee, and do what I have to do until I wake up. My brain feels foggy in the meantime.

To awaken so suddenly and completely, with nothing to precipitate it, has never happened to me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

RC

Every morning at 4am or so. I just get up and get going.

Christine

That saves you a lot of time. It usually takes me an hour or two to become this alert.

I hope it happens again.

This reminds me of another odd thing that happened. One morning about 8 years ago, I was going about my usual day, when all of a sudden I felt complete joy. Joy! I had never felt it before -- it was not based on anything that had happened in my life, and it was like happiness on steroids. I went to the grocery store and I couldn't stop smiling. I felt like the sun, like joy was shining out of me like sunlight. It lasted for several hours and then went away -- with no strict demarcation.

Both times, there was no cause I could put my finger on, and I sure didn't control the experience.

It is a rare morning here when I actually have to stumble through an hour. No coffee. Now the time varies. Like today it was 4:30ish. I like it when it happens around 6. If it comes too much earlier, I stay in bed for a while trying to get back to sleep.

It is a rare morning here when I actually have to stumble through an hour. No coffee. Now the time varies. Like today it was 4:30ish. I like it when it happens around 6. If it comes too much earlier, I stay in bed for a while trying to get back to sleep.

I think it's because I no longer get up to an alarm clock. My body pretty much wakes up when it's ready, and that's always early. However, by bedtime (10:00 or so), I am typically exhausted! Sometimes I am even in bed by 8:30. Occasionally I am tired enough in the afternoon that I go lay down for half an hour or so. But mornings? I am wide awake, pretty much from the moment I open my eyes.

This morning, at 5:30 a.m., I awakened as though a light switch had been flipped. I was wide awake, completely mentally alert. There was nothing that caused it -- this wasn't like snapping awake due to hearing a loud sound. It was a completely calm experience.

RC

I had a similar experience (waking at 4:00 a.m. many mornings) during perimenopause.:)

No, but I wish it would. I stumble around in the mornings for an hour or so before I'm awake.

I have been waking at about 2:00 a.m. (peri-menopause) and go back to sleep about an hour later. I wish it would happen around 6:00 a.m. instead!

Yes, I wake up like that most days. Often it is 5.30. It was this morning. When I have PMS it is often 3am, which isn't so fun.

I am a morning person- once I am awake, i am awake, and I although I prefer to spend my first hour alone, I am not sleepy. I prefer to get up first.

Wheras my dd hates waking up, needs to lie in bed for a while and come out of sleep mode slowly. She HAS to have a shower to wake up. Getting her moving in the morning is so hard.

Ds, dh and I are all morning people (although dh stays up late too). It's just interesting that only one of us is is NOT a morning person, and sometimes its hard to empathise with her dreaminess.

Sometimes that happens to me if I had a lot of caffeine too late the night before--it doesn't seem to affect my ability to go to sleep, just to stay asleep.

And hey, I'd take what I can get in that dept (the "waking up well" dept!) and not question it!! Unless you want it to happen all the time--which I would!:D

I used to be that way when I worked outside of the house and before ds was born. I used to have a job where I had to get up at 4am and I never used an alarm and was alert every morning. :glare:

I never was truly a morning person but I was up and ready to get moving. Now it's a totally different story.

I had had only 5.5 hours of sleep, and I tried to go back to sleep, but I am too mentally alert. In fact, I am more mentally alert (or "on") than I usually am during the day.

It is amazing! I can see how this can come in handy, if it ever happens again.

Usually, I awaken groggily. I get up because I have to, or I would go back to sleep. I get a cup of coffee, and do what I have to do until I wake up. My brain feels foggy in the meantime.

To awaken so suddenly and completely, with nothing to precipitate it, has never happened to me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

RC

This has happened to me several times in the past couple of months. Most of the time it has been around 5:00am but once or twice it was 4:30am.

I wish it would happen daily. I enjoy quiet time before DH & the kids must get up.

No, but I wish it would. I stumble around in the mornings for an hour or so before I'm awake.

I have been waking at about 2:00 a.m. (peri-menopause) and go back to sleep about an hour later. I wish it would happen around 6:00 a.m. instead!

Really? that is what is wrong with me?

joy! LOL!! :tongue_smilie:

I am a morning person - best part of the day - so I wake up raring to go. It is past 9 at night that I am groggy and not worth beans.

Oh, so that's what a morning person is. I don't seem to be one because it doesn't matter when I go to bed, it takes me forever to get going in the morning. To top it off, I hate getting wet until I've been up for a couple of hours, so if I take 2 hrs to wake up (plus check the news, make breakfast, various chores -- I do stuff, but only because I have to) -- and a 1/2 hr to shower and dress, then 2.5 hrs of my day is gone before I can function well mentally.

It's a real bummer. I hope what happened this morning happens every morning from now on! (It's not due to caffeine or perimenopause.)

It is 1:30 pm here and I am still alert! I've gotten the house cleaned, 6 loads of laundry done, cooked breakfast and lunch, done some homeschooling (the kids worked without me), and there's a lot more to do. I don't even want to take a nap!

This is like being on speed, without a racing pulse and without any anxiety. Yee haw!

Edited by RoughCollie

No that doesn't happen to me. I'm in a fog for a good hour but then I never actually get to wake up naturally. Every morning I wake up to crazy "dreams" of children wanting to get out of their crib, or children fighting over a toy, or someone complaining they are hungy etc. And after "dreaming" for at least 15-20 minutes my brain finally kicks in enough for me to realize that this isn't a dream but my children are really doing/saying these things. It really takes me that long to separate reality from my dreams. I am soooo not a morning person. But my two oldest daughters are up as soon as they see light in their room, which of course means everyone else has to get up then too.