Menu

Thinking Of Starting A Commune, Wanna Join?

*sigh*

I'm getting really tired of some of the stuff that's happening in what I think of as 'regular' society these days. The only solution I can think of is finally winning the lotto and buying the acreage that my dh and I have been dreaming about for years now.

Its just really getting insane.

Take today for example. Diva is 'friends' with the kid across the sidewalk from us. Got invited to the movies. The kid's parents are taking her to see Adventureland. :001_huh: These are 10 and 11 yo girls, folks. Adventureland is rated 14A, and deals with a story line where the highlight of the lead character's summer is getting to smoke pot all summer long. I soooooooo don't think so. Diva was not granted permission, which led to a long conversation regarding differences in parenting styles, morals, principles, etc.

But, there's more than that. I'm tired of walking down the street and hearing kids in elementary school use profanity like it was a mastered second language, I'm tired of seeing young girls dressed in ways that only seem to serve the purpose to render them physically desireable, and then there's the rising rates of sexual experience amongst children, younger and younger.

So, winning the lottery and moving out to an acreage seems like the only reasonable solution. Anyone want to join me?

;)

All the kids in my neighborhood smoke weed....they walk down the street with blonde hair with black streaks in it (what is that about?), they have kids at 17 and live with their parents forever.

My kids don't assosciate with any of them.....they go ride their bikes with each other....and come home and tell me all the things they saw, LOL!

I'll join you. I have been tired of all the bs we have to deal with on a daily basis with some neighbors, and after this "adventure" with the psycho I am ready to pack up and go anywhere secluded enough to shut out society until the kids are grown.

I will join, I have the land, now need to win the lotto to put the sustainable houses or yurts.

I am one step closer, but its just not in the cards. Probably, all the money spent in lottery could pay for the houses. Who knows?

But, I am right there w/you on what is acceptable in society today. We went to a Comedy/Magic show last wk. Most of the audience was kids. I asked prior if the comedy was family oriented. They said yes.

Pretty raunchy for us, but everyone else was laughing. It was so bad , even dh mentioned it. I was ready to leave half way through, but the rest of the fam. wanted to stay.

All the kids in my neighborhood smoke weed....they walk down the street with blonde hair with black streaks in it (what is that about?), !

My eighteen year old senior doesn't smoke weed (or steal things or use foul language) but he does have a wide blue streak in his blonde hair. It's a creative FUN thing for someone who loves color and being different. He is an artistic soul.

I guess we couldn't come live on the island or commune and that's too bad because we have great values and a love for the Lord.

Sorry to report but parenting skills seem to be just as sparce here in the country. Dd has a few friends who seem to be allowed to watch or do practically anything. And of course, she is not. However, I don't think she is quite so bombarded by it just because there are drastically fewer people out here. (For example, if I pass two other cars on the 6 mile dirt road between our house and the nearest paved road, I find myself wondering what all the traffic is about and glad that I live on a quieter dead end road!)

One of the downsides of living out here is that you really have to make an effort to allow your children to have social opportunities. We usually have to GO somewhere else for her to be with friends or to meet new people. If someone we don't know is out here, then they are obviously lost or trespassing. I don't have to worry as much about racy billboards--the most common ones here are for taxadermy shops and mower repair.

I do love rural life, but overly permissive parenting and negligent parenting are alive and sadly well even out here in the hills.

Hey, I'm not talking about conformity, folks. One of the first things we did when Diva came home from ps was to promptly dye her hair purple. She'd wanted it forever, and her school wouldn't allow it. I don't care what colour hair a child (or parent for that matter!) has. I care about respect for others, I care about conduct. Dye your hair to match the rainbow, do it up with polka dots, whatever rocks your world. If you're not stoned outta your gourd, if you're well mannered, believe in accepting personal responsibility, have a work ethic, goals...you're welcome as far as I'm concerned!

And yes, it IS about the parenting. Children are taught manners, conduct, respect at home. Its not the fault of the public school, it should be taught at HOME long before these kids ever hit the door of school. The problem is, once they do hit school, they're such a disruptive negative influence that the whole situation hits the skids. And school isn't a great model and situation to START with, so it really doesn't take much to send it spiraling out of control into extreme negativity.

Too often I hear, "Its not the parents fault..." followed by a litany of potential issues/excuses, including, "Parents can't be EVERYWHERE." Huh. Homeschool parents certainly seem to manage, for the most part. Fancy that. ;)

My eighteen year old senior doesn't smoke weed (or steal things or use foul language) but he does have a wide blue streak in his blonde hair. It's a creative FUN thing for someone who loves color and being different. He is an artistic soul.

I guess we couldn't come live on the island or commune and that's too bad because we have great values and a love for the Lord.

My 19 yr old is a straight A homeschooled turned straight A college student who despises smoking of any nature & drinking of any alcoholic type (and dad & I drink here & there so it isn't the way she was raised). She leads the jr high girls in an accoutability group at church & is a proud to be virgin.

She however has bright purple stripes in her naturally dark brown hair.

I have no objections, I actually think its cute.

The boy, now 13 wants to dye his hair black. I'd let him go lighter, or blonde highlights but not black. Double standards?? Maybe but don't care.

Now, I'm personally not having problems with neighborhood kids, however, I'd love to come along, cause I would love to have more than a postage stamp size garden. I enjoy growing fruit & vegetables, and would love to be able to reduce our families dependance on the local grocery stores.

We have a very small yard and I have yearned for a garden spot for years. Last summer we tilled up our front yard and planted it. This year we are adding a couple of flower garden spots to that. They aren't very big but I figure I just as well be watering food as flowers.

I would love to join the commune. I have yearned to live in the country ever since we adopted our two youngest but dh isn't at all interested. We live in the middle of Rally town and 3-4 wks of the year are horrible. I have even prayed for the Lord to take this desire away from me if it isn't right but it seems it just gets stronger. (sigh)

and wouldn't allow them to dye it some crazy color....and those of you who don't care.....that is definitely your prerogative, LOL. I think I remember this conversation about the same on these boards before....so I will shut up now :tongue_smilie:

Guest Dulcimeramy

One family full of gardening folk musicians here. Tell us where to sign up.

We don't dye our hair but we dress nerdy. Is that non-conformist enough?

One family full of gardening folk musicians here. Tell us where to sign up.

We don't dye our hair but we dress nerdy. Is that non-conformist enough?

We don't dye our hair either but I'll accept yur nerdy attire as long as my tattoos are accepted :)

The only absolute must conform to rules are: respect, and accepting responsibility for yourself.

Honestly, I think with those 2 very basic rules, if society could only adhere to them, we'd be fine. Because if you respected others, there would be no crime. There would be respect others rights to self, so there would be no violence against other persons. There would be respect for others property, so there would be no theft or vandalism. And if everyone accepted personal responsibility for themselves, as well as those dependent on them, there wouldn't be abandonment of families, children, abuse, neglect...

Ah, utopia.

I should really be running the world. Forget the commune, someone's gotta make me Supreme Ruler Of The Earth. I'll settle for North America though. Even Canada for starters. :D

I may just come along... think of it, we can grow tomatoes and supply our kids with contraband, super dangerous OLD kids' books! :001_huh:

What else shall we do in our weird little commune... hmmm?

Oh, and our library will have NO Wiis! But it will be an awesome, huge library. I'm drooling just thinking about it. :auto:

The only absolute must conform to rules are: respect, and accepting responsibility for yourself.

Honestly, I think with those 2 very basic rules, if society could only adhere to them, we'd be fine. Because if you respected others, there would be no crime. There would be respect others rights to self, so there would be no violence against other persons. There would be respect for others property, so there would be no theft or vandalism. And if everyone accepted personal responsibility for themselves, as well as those dependent on them, there wouldn't be abandonment of families, children, abuse, neglect...

Ah, utopia.

I should really be running the world. Forget the commune, someone's gotta make me Supreme Ruler Of The Earth. I'll settle for North America though. Even Canada for starters. :D

:lol: I used to say the same thing, that if they just put me in charge things would be so much better lol Maybe if they finally let women rule the countries rather than men things would change, though that is a whole other issue.

I do agree that if people adhered to those 2 basic principles there would be none of the bs we have now to put up with. Utopia is such a lovely ideal.

I may just come along... think of it, we can grow tomatoes and supply our kids with contraband, super dangerous OLD kids' books! :001_huh:

What else shall we do in our weird little commune... hmmm?

Oh, and our library will have NO Wiis! But it will be an awesome, huge library. I'm drooling just thinking about it. :auto:

Just think homemade wooden toys without worry of testing for lead paint, ohh how about making sure our land has huge trees for the kids to climb and build treehouses in. And real sand in the sandbox, no mulched rubber for them.

Just think homemade wooden toys without worry of testing for lead paint, ohh how about making sure our land has huge trees for the kids to climb and build treehouses in. And real sand in the sandbox, no mulched rubber for them.

How do you build a sand castle with mulched rubber? That's just weird. Don't forget all the hand-me-down clothes we could pass around that haven't been...gasp...tested.

Hmm, new around these parts, so just jumping in here, lol. I've always thought a commune type living situation would be awesome! Esp. with a bunch of homeschoolers, lol. In fact, I'd really like to be more self-sufficent where we are now. I plant a veggie garden in the spring. Now I'm just trying to talk dh into chickens (and a cow, lol...). Not going to well, lol.

How do you build a sand castle with mulched rubber? That's just weird. Don't forget all the hand-me-down clothes we could pass around that haven't been...gasp...tested.

No clue, but there was a thread on here not long ago that someone posted after taking their kids to the park and finding all the sand had been replaced with that rubber stuff.

Oh yes hand-me-downs, I am so glad that law didn't come into Canada, I would be lost without hand-me-downs.

The only other thing I request in this commune is that even if we switch to growing our own food, Heinz ketchup will still be readily available ;p

What did we used to call our imaginary Well-Trained Mind utopia?

Foil-town?

Named for Amy in Orlando's blog....

We were going to set it up so all of us could live in one area, homeschool in the mornings, and then let our kids play together in the afternoons while we hung out and chatted.

Sigh. It still sounds like paradise. I'll help bake the bread.

Guest Dulcimeramy

deleted...I was telling a story about my Grandpa's tattoos and decided not to

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy
We don't dye our hair either but I'll accept yur nerdy attire as long as my tattoos are accepted :)

Your tattoos would be accepted by me!

occasionally we have to go to town where we see, with great astonishment, sagging Jeans which expose half the .... and hair colors crazier than Aunt Mamie's parrot's feathers. Unfortunately there will always be something objectionable until we have arrived at our final destination.

I often feel like hiding under a rock or trying some time travel back to...the fifties?

:001_smile:

For example, if I pass two other cars on the 6 mile dirt road between our house and the nearest paved road, I find myself wondering what all the traffic is about and glad that I live on a quieter dead end road!)

One of the downsides of living out here is that you really have to make an effort to allow your children to have social opportunities. We usually have to GO somewhere else for her to be with friends or to meet new people. If someone we don't know is out here, then they are obviously lost or trespassing. .

I do love rural life, but overly permissive parenting and negligent parenting are alive and sadly well even out here in the hills.

That describes exactly where we live, especially the part about the road! :lol:

I don't think I'll need any babies delivered, but I want to come too!!

We have often thought about buying a large piece of property in Costa Rica and going into hiding down there. That's our dream anyway.

A commune with all you guys would be too great a party to miss, though. I'm IN.

Where's the sign up sheet??? I'm tired of hearing "you cant shelter your children." Umm....oh yes I can.

I was in a store the other day browsing decorations for girls rooms. I came across one that said "Sexy". Sexy??? A little girl???? No, I dont think so.

Can I be in charge of the barn? I have experience with chickens, pigs, cows, horses, sheep, and llamas.

I could also do the fiber work...shearing, processing, spinning, weaving, etc.

And my eccentricity that ya'all would have to put up with is that I play bluegrass music and I like to listen to hard rock--and I sing both at the top of my lungs!

Okay count me in! We would love to live in the middle of no where.

I would be willing to cook, yeah that just made me a shoo in right? :D But I love to cook LOTS and LOTS of food, from scratch. No MSG, partially hydrogonated oils, high fructose corn syrup, ect here baby. Just the good stuff.

Oh did I mention I make brownies to die for and homemade fudge? :) You know you want me there!

Okay count me in! We would love to live in the middle of no where.

I would be willing to cook, yeah that just made me a shoo in right? :D But I love to cook LOTS and LOTS of food, from scratch. No MSG, partially hydrogonated oils, high fructose corn syrup, ect here baby. Just the good stuff.

Oh did I mention I make brownies to die for and homemade fudge? :) You know you want me there!

If your going to be doing all of that natural cooking without MSG than I want to go too.

I often feel like hiding under a rock or trying some time travel back to...the fifties?

:001_smile:

I'll pass on going back to the fifties, where, in some parts of the country, the sheriff would be after me for my "illegal" marriage, and I'd have to teach my kids which drinking fountain to drink out of....No thanks.

Plus we travel internationally, so that would take us out of the "sheltered" category. I think it's spiritually beneficial that my kids have seen, do see, and will see with their own eyes that some children live on the street, uncared for by anyone, there are places with no electricity and running water, and what it actually means to have a hard life (not the same thing as not having the latest pair of jeans). So they are the antithesis of sheltered, I guess.

Edited by stripe

Interesting points, Stripe. I actually agree with you.

I'm just sick to death of the media saturation in today's society, the permeation of negligent parenting, where kids are running amok, seemingly without any guidance or discipline...It wears on me, to be perfectly honest. To constantly be explaining to my dd why she can't do what the other kid does, why we have different standards, etc. I'd like to scoop my kids up, move to an acreage where they can run around, yell, play, explore, not worry about disturbing neighbours, or about one of the neighbours being a danger, worry about traffic...the list goes on.

The idea of a commune hit me, as it would be a great way to ensure that there would be ample socialization with folks that shared a basic foundation of the same simple basic rules: mutual respect, and self responsibility.

And I think my marriage would be illegal in the 50s too, if we were American ;)