Menu

DD(14) said Ask the hive mind...

About book recommendations. We are Christian so that bears on what she can read. The big "no" standout is Harry Potter. She has enjoyed these:

Inkheart trilogy

Maximum Ride series (she knows book 5 comes out this week)

Lord of the Rings (read but not liked, she did like The Hobbit)

Chronicles of Narnia (a while ago)

Chopstick

Outcasts of 19th Schuyler Place

A Place Called Home series (Lori Wick)

Love Comes Softly (only first book though)

That's all she can think of for now. FWIW, we use TOG and will be moving her up to R level next year with her so she'll get all that good lit in the next few years. She wants brain candy.

Thanks!

Brain Candy, huh?

How about:

The Chatain's Guardian (Robin Hardy)

Artemis Fowl(Colfer)

Dragonrider (Funke)

Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)

The Great Brain series (Fitzgerald. May be a little young for her.)

"Christy" or "Julie" by Catherine Marshall

Most Christian fiction series I'm thinking of have a strong romance element. If you're okay with that, what about:

Dee Henderson's books (Romance, as well as mystery/crime/police work. Also a military series)

Robin Jones Gunn's books (She has a Glenbrooke series that's great. She also wrote a series for teens)

Beverly Lewis' early books about the Amish (before she got into this miniseries kick she's currently in)

Janette Oke books

Grace Livingston Hill's books (Morality stories crossed with light Harlequin romance)

Agatha Christie's mysteries?

David Eddings's Belgariad series? (My only hesitation here is that you don't allow Harry Potter. The main characters are sorcerers, not witches. Is that ok? There is also a heavy theological element--i.e., other gods. Basically I'm confused about what you would be comfortable with seeing that you ban Harry Potter but allowing LOTR.)

um, Christian here, too.......

I would need more info on why one fantasy [HP] is offlimits and others w/ all kinds of dark magic [listed already as "read/enjoyed"] are ok? can you share your concerns? I understand that a lot of Christians eliminate HP because of the "teaching to be a witch/wizard" assumption, but that's not what is happening in the series. Of course, I've met Christians who would balk at LOTR/ Narnia/ Inkheart too because of the magical elements.

I would avoid series w/ romance elements --christian or not-- for a teen ;)

and are you already following a lit program like Sonlight? If not, I would suggest pulling from their catalog of suggestions. also--my 14yos has really liked Farenheit 451, War of the Worlds, Once and Future King, The Giver, and The Crystal Cave. My 14 and 11yo both like Artemis Fowl, but I'm sure some Christian parents would have problems w/ that too since there's a few questionable instances in the series ;)

good luck!

eta: since we've had the HP questions before, i DO understand that some people are anti-HP in general. I'm linking a thread for anyone else that doesn't get why people would question it ;)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9096

Edited by Peek a Boo

I would suggest Anne of Green Gables, also. There are 8 books in that series, it will keep you occupied for a long time, and then you can explore her other books, too.

What about Eragon? Kind of a Lord of the Rings, with Dragons, there is magic in it...I even loved this one, it really captures the imagination.

The mysterious Benedict society was a great read, too.

Lion Boy - nice and thick, clean read. Kind of an alternate future story.

I fought letting HP into the house for a long time. I finally read them myself and gave the go ahead to the older children. I had seen the book parties with children dressed up as witches and wizards and was very put off. The kids have enjoyed the books as fun, well developed stories and nothing sinister.

We love the Anne of Green Gables series :)

Some of my now-older dc have enjoyed the three Zion Covenent, Zion Chronicles, Zion Legacy series by the Thoene's.

And all but my "I don't like to read" ds have loved Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy: Black, Red, and White. I would wait till older than 14 to read some of Dekker's other books because they are more suspenseful.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but I found Inkheart to be way darker than Harry Potter. I notice from this list that you are not trying to avoid fantasy, so I'm curious as to why you are avoiding those. I'm really NOT trying to get into a HP debate at all!! If you don't want your kids to read them, I totally support that, but there are other books on your list that I would put into the category of HP and those were OK.

I love Beverly Lewis' amish books. I have like 14 of them, lol. I've read them all as an adult, but I think they work fine for a teenager. Oh, wait... I now see someone else already recommended these. I like the miniseries ones too, though. ;)

I also like Barbara Kingsolver books a lot. I read a couple in college... so maybe someone else could chime in on how young they would work for. I thought Poisonwood Bible was great... while not from a Christian perspective, it really challenged my thinking on being respectful of other cultures...

I love to read contemporary Christian fiction and I always run out of authors to look up. So now I go on the CBD website and look at what books they are advertising and then search our library for them. I know what you mean about HP. I wouldn't want my kids to read those books either (and I'm thankful that they don't want to). Nothing against those that do read them as, obviously, they are really popular but it's just not our cup of tea. Have her try my CBD idea!

Just a few off the top of my head - sorry if I'm repeating. These are ones I enjoyed at that age as well as my older dd's.

Anne of Green Gables

Edith Nesbit (although some of these might be in your off-limits due to fantasy)

Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman

Great Lion of God by Taylor Caldwell

Christy by Catherine Marshall

Agatha Christie Mysteries

Watership Down

The Hiding Place

I don't know how many of those are mind candy though.

Janet

My favorite at that age were the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. They are similar to Lord of the Rings (same genre). They involve main characters from the same family who must somehow save the world from certain doom. The books are the epic journeys of each main character as they set out to find a magic talisman (sword, elfstones, etc.) that will help mankind save themselves from the dark evil antagonist. It includes run ins with men, elves, dwarves, trolls, etc. They are very similar to Lord of the Rings, like I said, but not as heavy with vocabulary and writing style. There are 22 books in the series; the author's website has a recommended reading order for those new to the series or revisiting the series. Another similarity between these books and LOTR is a lot of symbolism/similarity with Christian themes, character traits, etc. that can be found in them.

Well, these are some of my fun reading favorites; some have been read and enjoyed by my 13yos.

Anything by P.G. Wodehouse - Right Ho, Jeeves, etc. Clean, British humor. Laugh out loud funny.

Jerome K. Jerome - Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the Dog) - very funny, easy read.

James Blaylock - The Last Coin - one of my most recommended books. Funny, mysterious, a bit wacky, especially if you particularly love or hate cats (read the book and you'll understand what I mean).

Helene Hanff - 84 Charing Cross Road - my other most recommended book. A series of letters written between a struggling New York writer and a used bookstore in London over 20 or 30 years post WWII. A short, easy read; funny and touching; makes you long to find all those books and read them yourself.

My favorite at that age were the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. They are similar to Lord of the Rings (same genre). They involve main characters from the same family who must somehow save the world from certain doom. The books are the epic journeys of each main character as they set out to find a magic talisman (sword, elfstones, etc.) that will help mankind save themselves from the dark evil antagonist. It includes run ins with men, elves, dwarves, trolls, etc. They are very similar to Lord of the Rings, like I said, but not as heavy with vocabulary and writing style. There are 22 books in the series; the author's website has a recommended reading order for those new to the series or revisiting the series. Another similarity between these books and LOTR is a lot of symbolism/similarity with Christian themes, character traits, etc. that can be found in them.

I just have to say: Wow! 22 books in the series, I had no idea! I just pulled down my copy of The Sword of Shannara and admired my lovely early 80's rainbow theme bookplate... now I feel old, and have a lot of reading to do if I want to catch up on the whole series. :)

And yes, this would be an interesting series for a teen who enjoys the fantasy genre.

DD wrote them down. She had to laugh about the HP and LOTR question. In her words: HP is about witchcraft. LOTR is about Frodo destroying the ring. Yes, there is Gandalf and he is a wizard but the story isn't about him, it's about Frodo. She sees no magic in Inkheart either. These are her observations. Oh, and now she has no desire to read HP anyway.

We both thank you!

"Dragons in our Midst" series by Bryan Davis. Christian author, modern fantasy. All of 14yo dd's friends have read and loved them. Dd has even bought the books to keep. The first in the series is "Raising Dragons" (I think). Not fantasy, but dd and friends have also enjoyed the "Viking Quest" series. Don't know the author on that one and dd is at the grandparents.

Just an aside, we, too, did not allow Harry Potter. However, I am a huge fantasy fan and read many fantasy books. Last year I read H.P. as part of my "Banned Books" category for the 8-8-8 Challenge. As a very conservative Christian (who happens to like fantasy), I found the hype over H.P. to be over-rated. Dd who is the same age as your dd, has now read the first but still can't get over that it was "bad" for years. I don't know that she'll finish. So I can see your dd's point. I've quite enjoyed them...now I've just got to tell my mother that I've read them LOL!

Another favorite series is "The Enchanted Forest Chronicles" by Patricia Wrede. It begins with "Dealing with Dragons" (I think) :D There is some magic with the dragons and the "enchanted forest" but it is also about a princess who doesn't want to be a princess. Fun books.

Dd has also liked Shannon Hale's books. I can't think of the first one right now, but this is also a series that she is trying to collect. I haven't read those, though, so I can't comment what they are about.

I love books!

DD wrote them down. She had to laugh about the HP and LOTR question. In her words: HP is about witchcraft. LOTR is about Frodo destroying the ring. Yes, there is Gandalf and he is a wizard but the story isn't about him, it's about Frodo. She sees no magic in Inkheart either. These are her observations. Oh, and now she has no desire to read HP anyway.

We both thank you!

Not trying to get you to change your mind, but for another (and completely opposite) perspective on the message of HP, you might check out John Granger, first here, then here and then at his blog.

Perhaps the story of redemption writ quietly and yet oh so large, to get past C.S. Lewis's "sleeping dragons."

draco dormiens numquam titillandus

As a Christian, I did want to caution you that it is not a very good thing to base our conclusions on our uninformed opinion. Christians should be the FIRST ones ready to seek truth and drag it into the light.

For those that have actually read HP, we know that it is NOT about witchcraft --it's about love. Just as LOTR isn't "about" the magic, and A Christmas Story isn't "about" Astral Projection or salvation by works ;) We understand that the magic and characters in the story are simply vehicles to get the author's point across.

If she "sees no magic in Inkheart," then exactly what does she think is happening in the book?? Natural phenomena?:001_huh:

I can understand not having a desire to read HP, but please do so on an observation of truth, not deceit. Being deceived isn't really a laughing matter.

eta: observations are based on actually having looked at something. If you have not actually read the book, your observations are not complete.

But i do hope she finds some great books that she enjoys reading :)

Edited by Peek a Boo

Not trying to get you to change your mind, but for another (and completely opposite) perspective on the message of HP, you might check out John Granger, first here, then here and then at his blog.

Perhaps the story of redemption writ quietly and yet oh so large, to get past C.S. Lewis's "sleeping dragons."

draco dormiens numquam titillandus

Wow! Thanks for the links. :)

As a Christian, I did want to caution you that it is not a very good thing to base our conclusions on our uninformed opinion. Christians should be the FIRST ones ready to seek truth and drag it into the light.

For those that have actually read HP, we know that it is NOT about witchcraft --it's about love. Just as LOTR isn't "about" the magic

I know this thread isn't about H.P. But I had to comment on what Peek said. I was definitely on the NO H.P. bandwagon. Had I read it? No. I took what others had said and ran with it. Last year, dh and I were having a discussion about the Christian "flavor of the month/year." It seems that there is always some new bandwagon to jump on and most of us jump on without looking into it for truth. I did this with H.P. and now as I've grown and matured as a Christian, I am trying to moderate what is truly not good for my Christian walk and what is just the newest fad for us Christians to debate.

That maybe should have been a spin-off thread. Sorry:001_smile:

There have been some awesome suggestions for books for your dd. That should keep her busy for about a month if she reads like my dd:tongue_smilie:

For those that have actually read HP, we know that it is NOT about witchcraft --it's about love. Just as LOTR isn't "about" the magic, and A Christmas Story isn't "about" Astral Projection or salvation by works ;) We understand that the magic and characters in the story are simply vehicles to get the author's point across.

If she "sees no magic in Inkheart," then exactly what does she think is happening in the book?? Natural phenomena?:001_huh:

I can understand not having a desire to read HP, but please do so on an observation of truth, not deceit. Being deceived isn't really a laughing matter.

eta: observations are based on actually having looked at something. If you have not actually read the book, your observations are not complete.

But i do hope she finds some great books that she enjoys reading :)

:iagree:

Has she tried the Dragon Keeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul. Those are Christian and it's an excellent fantasy series.

And just to add to the whole Harry Potter thing... there is a lot of Christian themes in them. I was never against them as a Christian... but my mother-in-law was. She finally read them... I had to loan her my entire series and she read them in a week. When she was done... she couldn't understand the fuss. She loved them.