Menu

Habit formation...what habits are you most pleased to have had your children develop?

Hmmm....not sure if this is a habit, but rather a behavior. Not sure if that's the same LOL. But I'm amazed at the way my 4 year old DD loves, cares for, and watches over her little sister (1 year old, almost two). She's always been such a mama's girl and I was afraid she would be incredibly jealous when DD2 was born. Boy, was I wrong. She fell in love with her in the hospital on the day she was born (she was only 2 years old at the time) and hasnt looked back since. She watches out for her as well as I do and she's always looking out for her well-being.

I strive to my girls that sisters are best friends and I do not let them mistreat each other. We get enough hurt and flack from people in this world, our sisters should always be there for us to be our friend.

Daily chores and piano practice without complaint. (I won't even go into how long that took.... and is taking, LOL!!...)

Having a teachable spirit.

Obedience.

Daily quiet time / self entertainment. I love that they don't require my intervention 100% of the time and are capable of entertaining themselves an coming up with fun things to do together or alone.

Reading for pleasure and completing their lesson work daily.

Picking up after themselves and keeping their rooms tidy.

They both have good manners both in and outside of our home.

The reading habit is a double edged sword... ds stayed up till 11 last night, hiding under his blankets and reading with a flashlight... When I found him, I didn't know if I should giggle (such a movie moment) or flip my lid.

Do you find that others are shocked by your kids' manners?

The reading habit is a double edged sword... ds stayed up till 11 last night, hiding under his blankets and reading with a flashlight... When I found him, I didn't know if I should giggle (such a movie moment) or flip my lid.

Do you find that others are shocked by your kids' manners?

Reading for pleasure is definitely one that I am pleased my children have learned. Even the 4 year olds "read" in bed at night.

We got my 8 y.o. a book light last year, and she often continues reading, all snuggled into her covers, after lights-out. We're just fine with that. It's not like she has to get up to go to school at a certain time. ;)

Helping out with extra chores when they see I am getting behind. Seeing something needs to be done, and just doing it (like unloading the dishwasher).

Being nice to each other, and us parents. Not just respectful, but nice. Going out of their way to do something nice for each other and/or for us.

Being gracious, saying thank you, and appreciating both material gifts and gifts of time.

Reading for pleasure is definitely one that I am pleased my children have learned. Even the 4 year olds "read" in bed at night.

We got my 8 y.o. a book light last year, and she often continues reading, all snuggled into her covers, after lights-out. We're just fine with that. It's not like she has to get up to go to school at a certain time. ;)

Lol, I'm still getting used to no real rules, except the ones I make.

Teaching them that they're expected to respect (and obey) us has made sooo many things much easier.

I know I've seen others voice the opinion that they want their children to question authority, but IMO (and experience, thus far, with the two oldest reaching teendom) it's waaaay easier to talk and teach about the times and places to do that when you're coming from a place of respect, to begin with, than it is to try and get respect/cooperation from the other direction.

Our schooling methods/philosophies, outside activities, and outcomes of other situational problems have all benefitted from this one habit. Although our kids aren't perfect (far from it, lol), we consistently receive comments about their pleasant manners and they really are generally happy kids that are easy to get along with. I believe focusing on this habit has contributed greatly to that, if it hasn't been the main influence.

ETA: I feel compelled to add that I believe the respect part of the "respect and obey" is a two-way street. I believe it's right for parents to insist on respect from their children...but I don't believe you receive the full benefit of that unless you endeavor to give respect, as well.

Edited by Jill, OK